Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Best high-mileage SUV?

wvumisswvumiss Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in General

Hi all,

We are looking to buy a (third car, non-daily driver) high-mileage SUV for things like hauling home improvement stuff, buying new furniture, maybe some road trips since our first child is on the way. We do not want to spend more than around $10,000-12,000, so we've been looking at SUVs like a 2004 4Runner, 2006ish Xterra, maybe a 2005 Pathfinder, etc. I've never bought a car with close to or more than 100,000 miles so I'm a little nervous...especially after reading consumer reviews on what seems like every single contender.

What do you think are our best options for an SUV in the $10k-12k range? We don't really want to go any older than 2004, and likely prefer Japanese but would probably consider other for the right car. Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

Buy a the Honda, Toyota,or Nissan suv. stay away from american

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

This doesn't quite add up, at least to me. Why not just buy a pickup truck if you're wanting to haul "home improvement stuff" and "new furniture"?

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

It's easier to lock stuff up and keep it out of the weather in an SUV (or my preference, a minivan with a flat floor).

And if you've priced used trucks lately, they aren't cheap.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

My preference in order for hauling "home improvement stuff" or "new furniture"
    1. pickup truck
    2. minivan with flat floor
    3. large SUV, Suburban, Expedition, etc
    4. any smaller SUV

Trust me, trying to fit a king size mattress inside any SUV is not going to be a pleasant experience.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica