Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Push button start problems

wesley1000wesley1000 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota

I currently own a 2009 Avalon Limited with a little over 60,000 miles on it. I have started to experience a problem with starting the car. At times, it simply will not start. Its like there is a dead battery. I have had a new battery installed on the car as well as new batteries in the remote. I had this same problem in my 2006 Avalon Limited. After many trips to the dealer, being told that they could not find anything wrong with the car, I traded it in on the 2009 I currently own. I am going to the dealer in the morning, but do not expect to get any answers. Am getting very frustrated. Is there anyone who knows what the problem is and how to get repaired.

Comments

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@wesley1000 said:
    I currently own a 2009 Avalon Limited with a little over 60,000 miles on it. I have started to experience a problem with starting the car. At times, it simply will not start. Its like there is a dead battery. I have had a new battery installed on the car as well as new batteries in the remote. I had this same problem in my 2006 Avalon Limited. After many trips to the dealer, being told that they could not find anything wrong with the car, I traded it in on the 2009 I currently own. I am going to the dealer in the morning, but do not expect to get any answers. Am getting very frustrated. Is there anyone who knows what the problem is and how to get repaired.

I found a post concerning this same problem in another discussion.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4045179/#Comment_4045179

" The problem was the brake switch that activates the starter button."

• Options
    billwboydbillwboyd Member Posts: 1
    2008 Toyota Avalon, 99000 miles, and up to now problem free. Yesterday, when brake was pressed prior to starting car, the pushbutton light was amber and the car would not start. The problem was the brake switch was not working that activated the starter button (to turn it green instead of amber). Battery was good and the remote batteries had recently been changed and were good. Pressing the remote over the starter button with the brake pressed (look in the Owners Manual) eventually turned the starter button green and the car started; drove directly to repair shop. Code showed only brake switch fault. New brake switch was $99, plus labor to install.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I had the same issue with my LOW MILEAGE 2011 Avalon LTD. I traded it in for a 2013.
  • Options
    djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54

I had start problems with my 2006 Avalon on and off for several years. The green light wouldn't come on and pushing the button therefor wouldn't crank it. Jumper cables didn't help. Asked the dealer about it and even talked to a tech about it. Nobody knew anything except sometimes they are a little difficult and need more voltage. Much later my mechanic told me there was a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the issue. Dealer didn't even know about it! Go figure. My mechanic said the dealer should fix it. Dealer ended up replacing the starter button unit and also the brake switch. It's been perfect ever since. There is also a bypass switch for tow truck drivers that help make starting easier. You can also use it. Look it up in your owners manual if you want to look it up. I can't remember the details now. Also, it's a good idea to have a couple of extra batteries in the glove box for the remote. I got two from Amazon for about $6.00. Easy to replace. Manual tells you what kind and how to do it.