Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ghostly Death Car Syndrome. "Dead Cabin Controls"

grugergruger Member Posts: 15
edited June 2012 in Chrysler
My 2005 Chrysler Pacifica has been giving a "Death Car Syndrome." When driving or idling for fairly a long time, the cabin controls go dead. Read Carefully: On the dash board the ABS light, Slip-road light, and Emergency Brake light comes on, next, the radio goes off, THE AIR-CONDITION GOES OFF, ALL WINDOW controls do not work, Your HEAD LIGHTS do not work or goes off, now imagine yourself driving in the hot weather. THE GHOSTLY SYNDROME goes away and comes back whenever, no advance warning. Now the dealership has NO ANSWER to this problem and can't fix it, because the analyzer machine cannot diagnose the problem. THE ANALYZER CANT READ THE CAR COMPUTER!!!!! Anyone have an answer for this DEATH TRAP!!! Bear in mind, analyzer machine is $98 per hook up. not including labor. No bulletin or Recalls in effect at this time.

Comments

• Options
    jkas1jkas1 Member Posts: 1
    hello read gruger's problem i am having same issues wasw wondering if there was a solution found--------regards to the death car syndrome-dead cabin controls
  • Options
    deadchryslerdeadchrysler Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica the ABS light, Slip-road light, and Emergency Brake light are on, the radio is off, the AC is off, all window controls do not work, Head lights do not work. All of this happens right after I start the Pacifica. Then to top everything else it will not shift out of park unless I do it manually with a screw driver.

I am scared to drive it.

If anyone knows where I should start on this problem please reply!
    Thanks
  • Options
    According to the Chrysler Dealership, they could not find the problem to the issues of the SUV. But I notice a ticking coming from the relay box that house the fuses in the right hand corner of the engine compartment. If its the box, it will be a very expensive problem to diagnose and fix. So I got rid of it and bought a Toyota Venza which I am happy with. The Pacifica was our third Chrylser car and I was very disappointed that they could not find the problem of the so-called "lemon," they build and could not fix than milking us out of $1299.00 plus dollars if I had left the car there any longer. But that is a very serious problem they took very lightly. My advice is to get rid of the car once it starts "shutting down the cabin," deadly, very deadly!!!. I still have the VIN number if any government officials want to know. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Write down the VIN number and take picture's of the car and trade the pacifica in for a new car with 0% apr. At this time, car dealerships are rolling out new models.

Its going to be very expensive to fix and driving it would be negligence on your part. Report the issue to the government body in-charge of issuing recalls because Chrysler is not taking this issue seriously. Good Luck. :sick:
  • Options
    loco195loco195 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 05 Pacifica, all the light and bells would flicker and ring and it would lose power and sometimes shut off. It turned out to be the power wire that goes to the battery on the bottom of the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. The fix cost me $6 for a new battery cable and $2 for red electrical tape because i couldn't find a red cable. I attached and bolted the new cable to the bottom of the fuse box and the other end to the positive battery terminal. This was 3 years ago and it hasn't happened since. Apparently the factory cable goes into a plastic connector that bolts to the bottom of the fuse box and the cable going into the plastic must come apart and not let the cable to carry a good current..Hope this helps
  • Options
    jgaddisjgaddis Member Posts: 1
    Starting is perfect. engine runs great. when I turn off the ignition, then try to restart, everything resets. ie: radio to am 530, clock to 12:00, heater controls to auto-hi. when I turn off the switch, everything goes dead. No interior lights, warning bell, no electronic delay. Get this, headlights will not work unless the switch is turned to ac.

Help
    Thanks
  • Options
    Read previous message #6 and try the procedure to fix the problem. Not every symptom in this regard are the same but it resides in the area of the fuse box main wiring. Good luck :D
  • Options
    proflizzieproflizzie Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Pacifica sometimes just won't start. All doors are shut, lights off, etc. but it decides not to start. Battery is ok; if we jump it, it will start. Battery just dies overnight, for no apparent reason. This started about 3 weeks ago. Also, the heater will not come on. I have had no trouble with the car until now; I have put 180,000 miles on it with no problems. Ac is ok; but no heat. It is driving me nuts. I read about the battery cables: I will try that; but if anyone else has had this happen, let me know what you did to fix it. It is a good car, and has been ok. I want to drive it until it craps out, if possible.
  • Options
    toledokevtoledokev Member Posts: 1
    2005 Chrysler  Pacifica  the abs tractio  control light and the emergency  brake lightso are all on,as well as the shifter won't work other things affected by whatever is happening  is the air conditioner  the radio and the front wipers don't work. If I turn the key all the way to the right  and press the brake  the shifter will engage. As well as if i hold it in that position  my headlights will also work  so I am able to make it home if it gets dark. My rear wiper still works though.. This sometimes just out of the blue goes back to normal but you never know when it's gonna happen. Aldo I hear a clicking sound from the box that housea the fuses and relays
     Does anyone have any idea what could be the solution to this problem? I am ready to just sell the vehicle and never purchase a Chrysler  /Dodge ever again. It is putting my life as well as the lives of my entire  family in jeapordy. Please if anyone know the solution  to the problems I am having please let me know. I have no idea why on earth there isn't a recall on this vehicle  2005 Chrysler  Pacifica.