Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Brown coolant low oil level

paperchasingpaperchasing Member Posts: 1
edited December 2015 in Chevrolet
just bought a 92 chevy k1500 with the 5.7 v8 350. has edlebrock headers and intake manifold. the coolant level was low when i picked it up and the oil level was fine. driven it for 3 days and have been adding water to the radiator. the coolant has now turned a light brown. The pcv valve and waterpump are leaking but no external leaks on the block. since I've noticed the color of the coolant I've also noticed the oil level has droped about 3 dots on the dipstick. oil isn't milky and the coolant looks like dirty water. replacing everything that is leaking including the intake manifold in order to replace a coolant fitting on the block. will these repairs solve my problem or should i look at something else also?

Answers

• Options
    93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Hello! This condition sounds a lot like a leaking oil cooler. If your vehicle is so equipped, you might check this out. What you describe is almost certainly oil in the coolant. With a bad head gasket or warped head your likely to have coolant in the oil, but when there is oil in the coolant it is likely a leaking oil cooler. Good luck!