Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Golf

1242526272830»

Comments

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    To reply to your original question "Can a VW guru summarize the primary differences between the Golf and GTI? "

Basically, besides the obvious body differences, the GTI has stiffer suspension, and bigger brakes than the base gulf. Since the turbocharged engine and larger tires are available on the gulf - I do not consider them a big difference. (although the GTI engine has some 'tweaks')
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Thanks for the replies.

What's confusing about the Golf/GTI disctinction is the level of overlap and redundancy. A TDI Golf is nearly identically priced to a similarly optioned GTI. Both lines now top out at about $30,000. The only fundamental difference between the two lines is the availability of a couple of fairly cheap trims for the Golf.

Imagine if Honda offered two entirely separate, high-quantity lines of Civics with substantially overlapping pricing and entirely different trim lineups. It just seems to make the process all the more confusing (or maybe just for me).
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I don't see how it's confusing at all; three trim levels:

Golf 2.5
    Golf TDI
    Golf GTI

Simple as that.
  • Options
    gentlemangentleman Member Posts: 1
    V W 2008 Golf 2.0 Turbo Diesel DSG Transmission, the problem I have is that when braking gently to a standstill, as the gearbox changes down, the servo assistance increases to such an extent that smooth braking is hard to achieve, IF I shift into neutral before braking, braking is smooth and controlled. Obviously manifold vacuum is increasing as the car shifts to lower gears BUT WHY is this making braking so difficult ? Is there a vacuum regulator somewhere ? My dealership refuses to accept that there is a problem
  • Options
    kbabskbabs Member Posts: 1
    Hello. My 2011 Volkswagen Golf - TDI (diesel) died on me yesterday. I was driving on the freeway when the "diesel engine malfunction" light came on. The car proceeded to lose power. I was able to pull over to the side of the road and turn the car off. It now will not start. This car is only 8 months old and had had no accidents or problems. Any ideas what this might be? Was it a mistake to buy this car?
  • Options
    Two possibilities:

- You accidentally fueled with gasoline instead of diesel
    - The station where you've been buying diesel has fuel with insufficient lubricity

If either of those are the case, then your car is going to go in for an expensive repair as the entire fuel system will need to be replaced. If the issue is low-grade diesel, your dealership might pick up the tab, however, if gasoline is in the tank be prepared for a repair upwards of $8,000.
  • Options
    seamistseamist Member Posts: 4
    It could be that your fuel gelled. If temperatures are below freezing, simply add FPPF Fuel Power (one bottle treats 200 gallons) every time you fuel up. This will save you a LOT of headaches. :)
  • Options
    This time of year fuel gelling is highly unlikely. If the OP lives in an area where the temperatures get that cold, local diesel fuel will already be a winter grade or have winter additives.
  • Options
    mmhblgmmhblg Member Posts: 6
    Took delivery on a 2013 Golf TDI DSG on August 31st. I must say that I love the car so far! I think the styling is classic but understated and the seats are excellent. Coming from a Volvo wagon I was looking for something smaller and more sporty. This car delivers. You can really tell the build quality once you get in and take it for a drive. I love the fuel economy but mostly the power. This thing has a lot of torque for accelerating onto a freeway or passing a slower car. One tap on the paddle shifter and it takes off like a rocket. I wish more people would cross-shop these against hybrids. Fuel economy is almost as good and the driving experience is a lot better. BTW I'd shied away from VW before due to reliability problems but Consumer Reports now shows this car as recommended. You can tell the quality of construction from the Wolfsburg plant. Highly recommended!
  • Options
    rpjscarpjsca Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I asked two dealers about the price of VW 2013 Golf 4-door w/ Convenience. All I got was $23000 OTD (CA tax). How much does everybody pay for this trim?

Thanks a lot!!!
  • Options
    007wingnut007wingnut Member Posts: 2
    I know your post about your 00 golf was a few years back but I'm having the same problem and wondered if you ever found the answer to the problem?
  • Options
    007wingnut007wingnut Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Golf that has up until recently run great. A few months age it began to shut off randomly while I was driving. I took it to a VW shop and we have tried new coil, plugs, plug wires, crankshafe positioning sensor, O2 sensor, battery, alternator, and a few other things with no luck. Any one else had this problem and found a fix?