Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    in our New VW Golf V discussion. See you there! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • I've had a VW Golf GL TDI for 3 years as a commuter car. My costs? Oil changes are $20, but I provide my own Mobil Delvac 1 ($25 a gallon), and I change it every 7500 miles. I had to replace some kind of a temperature sensor at 58,000 miles for about $150. Brake job, along with a replacement bushing for the front anti-sway bar, about $900, at 73,000 miles (yeah, I know that the brake job was high, but I wanted VW parts, and the service has been excellent at Manchester VW). That's it.

I have gotten as high as 65 mpg driving the speed limit, but most of the time it is 48 to 50 mpg at 80 mph.

Find another car that will cost so little and be so reliable.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    I am seriously considering the 2003 2dr Golf GL with auto trans as a get-around-town car. The safety features the car offers are unmatched in similarly priced vehicles, which is a huge plus in my book. Through the research that I've done, the Golf holds up well in all areas except reliability. The 2003 issue of Consumer Reports lists trouble spots for the 2001 Golf as fuel, electrical, body integrity, power equipment, and body hardware. (No data exists for the 2002 model year, per CR.) My question to Golf owners is this: Would you choose a Golf again given the reliability experience that you have had? Any responses are greatly appreciated.
    P.S. I have a quote on a 2003 Golf GL 2dr auto with monsoon option for $15363. What do you think? Is this a good deal?

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Well, I own a '01 Toyota Echo. It has the same interior room as the Golf. My 72k mile average is 43 MPG. Cost of maintenance to date, other than oil changes every 7.5k miles is $ 100 for a transmission drain and fill (it's an automatic) and a drain and fill of the radiator fluid. Brakes are still at 60%, tires at 70% (Michelin) and absolutely nothing has needed repair.

The ride is not as good as a Golf and it doesn't have ABS. My cost was $ 12000. Try to beat that.

I don't think it is possible to recoup the price difference through better mileage.

I admit that we are comparing apples to oranges but when reliability and cost are brought up the Echo is the better deal by far.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    You can't compare the two. The Echo got blown around on the highway. It doesn't have half the safety features of the Golf. It is an excellent "off freeway" car and well suited for Japan, not America.

My mileage in an automatic wasn't as advertised. My mileage with a stick in the Golf beats the rating.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Well, in Canada the projected sales for 2003-2004 are 50000 units. Canada is in North America, isn't it? Those numbers would translate into 500k units in the USA, IF people would buy Echos in the same numbers as in Canada.

And as I said, comparing both cars is like comparing apples and oranges.

I've owned three different VW Golf's and 1 Passat and I know the Echo is in a different league.

But just because you like the Golf more doesn't mean the Echo can be completely dismissed as an ECONOMY car, with outstanding mileage and minimal repairs, much cheaper to operate than any Golf.

Which car do I prefer to drive? The Golf, no question.

My motives where simply to save money (it's going into my mortgage) and to minimize worries and have low maintenance. (And I am a miser).

I'm saving over $ 100 per month (Canadian) compared to a Golf Diesel which I chose not to buy as my main commuter car. When I get frustrated at being ignored by larger cars on the road I take my Chevrolet K1500 and drive it to work for a week or two. :-)
  • scottdudescottdude Posts: 177
    I've also added the Golf/Jetta to my shopping list but have been quite surprised at all the complaints on the internet. I thought VW's were reliable! But then again, I never owned one.

I will say this: I see a ton of Jetta's on the road here in Central Florida, which is surprising since we only have 2 or 3 VW dealers (vs. the 8 or 9 Ford dealers). So someone is buying these cars! I think I will test drive one and go from there. If I really like it, I might buy one and take comfort in the longer warrantry.

I'd be curious as well to hear from current owners about the state of VW as a company. Are they building lemons?

Also, does VW ever offer rebates or other incentives? They are definitely higher priced than the other cars I'm looking at. I'm trying to justify if they're worth it.
    Reliability is the only issue holding me back on the Golf. Otherwise it is the perfect vehicle for me. I will be looking into the Corolla tomorrow as Toyota is offering a great lease deal on them. Good luck in your search.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I will give you my honest opinion and experience with VW:

I have owned my 2002 Jetta 2.0 since May of 2002. Not once has my Jetta stranded me or not started. Here are the minor issues I have had:
    - Rattles in dash and rear passenger door speaker.
    - Rattle from a heat shield near oil pan (2 dealer visits to fix).
    -Front driver seat rocks (fixed by dealer) and now my passenger seat is doing the same thing. I will get this looked at during my next 20K service...along with my dash rattle/buzzing.

I really do enjoy my Jetta and will seriously consider a new one when my lease expires in the next year and a half. One needs to remember that allot of people come to the internet to complain, not to say how great their car is.

I know several people with Jetta's and they have had great luck with their's. Also, as you mentioned, the warranty beats EVERYTHING in it's class. That should give you peace of mind.

Good luck with your shopping!!
  • I have a 2000 1.8t GLS Golf. Within the first 7000 miles, the steering fluid leaked out, the tensioner belt broke, the air conditioner belt broke, the 02 sensor died, another sensor died, the windows fell into the door, and the brake light bulb burnt out. I can't remember what else has happened, but every time I talk badly about my car, another problem occurs. The service dept. says they have more problems with the Jettas and Beatles than the Golfs, so I certainly wouldn't consider one of those. Before I owned the Golf, I drove a Tercel. The car never had a single problem, but it didn't have any pickup whatsoever--couldn't even pass a city bus. Despite all these problems, I haven't traded the car in because I can't find anything in the same price range that handles as well or that has as many safety features. The Echo and Civic weigh 500 lbs less than a Golf-- Wouldn't want to be in either if hit by a 5000 lb SUV. (Of course, I don't want to be in a Golf either.)
    Having researched the Golf and read all the posts about its reliability, I have decided to not purchase at this time. I will save my $$ and see what 2004 will bring (looking forward to the new 1 series from BMW). Hopefully VW will work on reliability in the meantime. (The Corolla LE that I test drove yesterday was a disappointment. The A/C could not keep up with the 100+ heat outside and the steering wheel position was awkward no matter how it was tilted.)
  • akumazakumaz Posts: 65
    After scouring the owners manual and searching the internet, I ahve no clue as to where the air filter is located- let alone how to change it. In the past, I've had cars where the air filter was literally in view (just unscrew the top and it pops out). Any advice on where to find it and how to change it? Thanks.
    If the engine bay is similar to the Jetta the air filter housing is a black box left when facing the engine.
  • I just got in my 2001 Golf GL earlier tonight and went to adjust the A/C, and saw that my climate control knobs were all dark except for the two A/C and re-circulation buttons. I know my friend with a 2000 Golf 1.8T had the same problem, and took his to the dealer. Am I left with the same option to light up that cluster again? Or does anyone know of a way to fix this annoyance easily myself?
    Thanks for the tip. I looked, and saw two black boxes. One had a hose connecting to something else; the other was directly in front, right behing the left headlight. Unfortunately, I am not sure which one to open or whether the air filter will even fit. How would I go about opening the right box? What tools would I need?
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    the air filter is the box on the left - the one on the right is the battery cover. If you don't have a replacement filter for it don't even bother with opening it up. The filter is rectangular shaped. You have to release the hose clamp, pull the hose off and unclip the clips from the top side of the air box - easy.

I've had a Golf and now have an 03 Jetta TDI wagon - no complaints and I'd buy another VW without hesitation.
    I recently checked my air filter and I believe all you need is a phillips head screw driver. There are 4 screws that need to be removed and just gently pull up on the air box. I didn't even need to remove the hose clamp. Just don't "yank" the entire box so as to pull ther hose out of the housing.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    The air boxes for the TDI, 1.8T, VR6, etc all take the same filter (to a certain extent) but some mount differently and some open differently. On some you don't need to take the breather valve off to change the air box.
  • debbbbdebbbb Posts: 3
    i enjoy driving my 2001 golf gls. BUT tomorrow will be the seventh time that i have to bring it in for the engine light problem. the dealership says it is the new emissions regulations that make the light so sensitive. that they fix one thing and another is affected. seven times? has anyone else had this excessive problem? advise? my warranty runs out on 12 sep...
    So perhaps that's why I've had problems finding the location of the air filter.