Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• Options
    yankyank Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much
  • Options
    shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    Great recommendations - but I would go for the built in booster seats. They are so incredibly convenient, and because they are built in they don't slide around or lean like the ones you just set on the seat. We love these immensely and I don't understand why other manufacturers don't offer them!
  • Options
    tom21769tom21769 Member Posts: 63
    "Simply put, looking at the fact that you're driving around in a '92 240, it doesn't matter what you buy - there won't be a resale value when it's time to sell/trade in."

When our 10 year old 240 was rear-ended, Allstate paid us over $6000 for the totalled car. Their figure was based on its market value in our area. So if the newer Volvos hold their value nearly as well as the old 240, there may yet be a little resale value left even after quite a few years. However, you may also find that optional extra electronic features tend to depreciate faster than the base car, and reduce its reliability. Base V70s already come pretty well equipped. But sure, if something is worth it to YOU, go ahead and get it.

Although the 2001 remodel got a lot of praise, in my opinion the 2000 and earlier models did have a couple of advantages over the newer cars (assuming you'd still consider a used car.) First, the turning radius was tighter. Second, the base climate controls, window controls, and especially the stereo controls were a little easier to use for some drivers. However, the 2001-2004 models have a better ride, better interior space, better cabin air circulation, and a nicer-looking exterior.

The 2005 models soon will bring a few improvements. The center console reportedly will be a little narrower, for more side-to-side leg room. Radio station preset buttons come back. I think I've read something about reduced dashboard glare on the windshields of light-colored interiors. A couple other new optional safety features arrive (blind spot sensors and rain-shedding glass).
  • Options
    ptroostptroost Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a 2004 V70 R with the 6-speed manual. Today I talked to a guy who used to own one and told me to avoid them because the transmission is "garbage". He said he had to lemon law the first car due to ongoing transmission problems, and the replacement car was only marginally better.

There are good incentives on them right now. Can anyone with a V70 R and a 6-speed weigh in and set the record straight on this?
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Well, i drive an S60R w/ the 6 spd manual no problems aside from the shifter cables buzzing.
    None of the R's we have sold have come back for anything serious. Only a couple have come in for very minor issues.

Did this guy say what his problem was?
  • Options
    petercpeterc Member Posts: 1
    I test drove V70R with a 6 speed last night and other than a high grab point on the clutch the transmission was pretty smooth. Great low end torque for a turbo. My concern on the car offered is that it comes with super aggressive PZERO tires, very low profile, that the manufacture does not recommend use in the winter. There are some good all season sport tires out there. Any comments on replacing the OE summer sport tires with all seasons?
  • Options
    Tires are up to you. This is a performancer car, and so it comes with performance tires.
    There are some nice all season tires available.
    If you are going to drive in alot of snow, snow tires are recommended.
  • Options
    funtodrivefuntodrive Member Posts: 3
    Just like automan227, we have interesting problems with electric locks in our 2001 V70 2.4T. They work sometimes; sometimes only a few of them work; the tailgate (as learned yesterday) never works. The problem has been ongoing for at least a year and was most interesting when it refused to unlock the fuel cover, with mere fumes in the tank. (That is when we were told there is no emergency release cord for the fuel door.) Under extended warranty, Volvo/Ford fixed it through computer diagnostics.

Has anyone had this persistent problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks.

WTM
  • Options
    funtodrivefuntodrive Member Posts: 3
    The background: I have a 2001 V70 2.4T. Run Blizzarks in the winter. 65K miles. Bought the car from Volvo dealer with warranty extended to 100K. Drive about 20K per year, but most of it is in distances of less than 30 miles and about 50% of the mileage is on suburban/country/not-an-interstate kind of roads. A knowledgable person (auto tech at Volvo dealer) casually mentioned the need to change timing belt/chain at 90K.

The question: the question of when to trade is in final analysis one of proper use of cash. But involved in that question is understanding the likely maintenance problems, and costs, that more likely than not would arise over the next 12 months/20K miles. This is a rather general question, but I would like to know the general long term experience of driving this model under these circumstances.

Thanks.

WTM
  • Options
    bill88bill88 Member Posts: 3
    I went looking at v70 wagons this weekend. My plan all along has been to do european delivery of a base v70 2.4 with a manual transmission. I would outfit the car with a third row seat, climate package, and the stability control/run flat package. They didn't have ED pricing info but based on the MSRP (of $32,890) I think this car would ED for 30-30.5K (If anyone is interested, the salesman offered, unsolicited, to order the car for me for US delivery for $31,716.)

The salesman was also quick to show me a very nice 01 v70 2.4 manual with 42,000 miles that is a CPO car. The car has leather seats, heated seats, electric driver's seat, stability control, trip computer, and a cd player above the tape player. The dealer agreed to put a third row in it for $21,595.

I'm curious what people think of the 01 v70 from the standpoint of maintenance and cost to own. I have owned a 240 in the past and understand that it will not be as bulletproof as that car. I'm also curious what people think of the price I was quoted on the 01 v70.

Thanks.
  • Options
    2005 Euro Delivery prices have been out for a while. V70 2.4M starts at $26,185

There nothing wrong w/ an 01 V70 especially if its Volvo certified. Its many times more complex than the 240 was(lets face it 240's were only slightly ahead of the horse and buggy in technical complexity) so it has more to break.
    Personally, I would probably spend the extra $$ and go Euro Delivery. You get a nice experience, a new car and free maintenance.
  • Options
    bill88bill88 Member Posts: 3
    Volvomax,

Thanks for your input. I thought $26,185 is the ED price for the 2004 v70. Did Volvo not raise the price for 2005 ED?

I was also wondering if anyone knows anything about the "run flat" tires and tire pressure monitoring systems that are included in the run flat tire package in 2005. Are those rims only useable with run flat tires? In other words, when it comes time to replace the tires, can any tire be put on the wheel? Also, with the tire pressure monitoring, do I have to use certain wheels/tires. I would normally buy a wheel and snowtire package from Tire Rack, and I'm concerned that my only option would be more expensive wheels/tires from the dealer.

The reality is that I only want DSTC which I think is a huge safety feature, but the only way I can get it is as part of this package.

Thanks,

Bill
  • Options
    The price comes from the 2005 price list.

As for the run flats, I haven't seen the rim in person and probably won't for a while.
    I would imagine that you would be limited in your ability to change/replace the wheels and tires.
    At this time the run flats are not available.
  • Options
    jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Anybody hear anything about a potential R version for the new V50 wagon? What's the probability? Thanks.
  • Options
    larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    I would imagine that an V50R isn't even on the radar. Volvo just launched the S40/V50 so they'll probably want to deal with that first. And it doesn't seem like the other R cars have been such a sales success that it warrants developing a brand new one.

But then again Volvo do things a bit different.

And of course, I'm only speculating based on a gut feeling. I just don't think there's anything to the rumors.
  • Options
    Volvo winks and hints, but no. No S40 or V50R at this time.
  • Options
    ben03ben03 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are looking for a good mid-sized wagon for our growing family. We test-drove a Mazda 6 Sport Wagon and liked the ride, but did not like the rather cheap interior.

We are looking closely at the V70 and 2005 Subaru Outback (both base, non-turbo engines). All factors being equal, I like the V70 better but am concerned about reliability and the cost of maintenance. Do any of you have any thoughts that might assist us in making a decision?
  • Options
    elliowbelliowb Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell be about their experiences with installing trailer hitches on their V70s? I've talked to the dealer and the hitch is $335 plus 4 hours of labor for the installation (around $700 total). However, UHaul says they can do it for around $150 total.

UHauls hitch is only rated for 3500 pounds while Volvo's is good for up to 5000. I'm only going to pull light utility trailers and small sailboats, so the UHaul weight limits are fine. Does anyone know why such a huge difference in price? If I go with the UHaul hitch will I void my warranty?

Thanks for your answers,

-- Bill
  • Options
    04 V70 reliability excellent, also Volvo offers free scheduled maintenance for 3 yrs 36k.

Scooby doo's are ok, but I think you'll find the Volvo wagon a better car.
  • Options
    drphildrphil Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2001 V70 2.4T as opposed to T5. do you still recommend Mobil ! that frequently?

What do you think of puchsing the pre-owned certification for 23K miles at $950? Is it worth it:?

Thanks- Phil
  • Options
    elliowbelliowb Member Posts: 7
    Volvomax is right, Subbies are good cars as well. However... I bought a 1998 Legacy GT and just last August replaced it with a new 2004 V70 2.5T. The cars are in two very different classes. We had both vehicles for the last year and every time I got in the Subaru, it felt cheap, much smaller, unprotected and underpowered.

To be fair, because the Volvo is not AWD, it doesn't handle as well in wet conditions as the Subaru. The Subby is also a bit quicker in reacting to manueveers.

So far, my V70 (about 29K to date) has only been in the shop for scheduled service. Over the years I've owned the Subaru, we had a major problem with the manual transmission (something that I beleive must be systematic not just a fluke) before the warranty period had expired. It began to recurr before we traded the car last month. It also blew out the front oil seals around 115K (also something that is systemic in Subbies).

All in all, I'd have to say I love the Volvo experience much better than the Subaru (my local Volvo dealership also treats one a whole lot better).

-- Bill
  • Options
    marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    My children keep pulling out the dual cupholder out of the rear pulldown center armrest. There is a little brass spring that pops out when they pull it out. The dealer has popped this back in a couple of times and I'd like to do it myself instead of always running there. Does anyone know where it fits? I can't figure it out how that little spring fits in.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I can't find an equivalent run-flat package including tire pressure monitors available for the xc70 that is offered for the V70
    in 2005. Is it not being offered?

thx
  • Options
    My dealer flushes transmission fluid and radiator on this service even though volvo specifically shows in the manual that this is unnecessary at this mileage. Is there any reason to do this?

Thanks
  • Options
    scottinssmdscottinssmd Member Posts: 16
    Wife uses for in town driving only. Tired of filling tank three times a month. Noticed a difference in the first two weeks. Still on the first free tank and have 200 more miles to go on this tank. Also, the size was a factor. Large Denali for wife who fears tractor trailers, you get the idea.

Compared with Maurano, RX300, XC90, and Infinity SUV's. Hands down more space inside. Read the brochures carefully when looking for a new ride. You would be surprised at how little the space is in the smaller SUV's.

Also love the idea that there are not many on the road. Every other car is a RX300 around here or a infinity.
  • Options
    The Rin Flat pkg and the tire pressure monitoring are 2 different features.
    Both have been delayed for the 2005 model year.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I know that the restyled S60s and V70s will go on sale soon here in the States, however, will the basic 2.4 continue in both lineups? And do you know of any changes in hp or torque ratings for that engine?

Also, while looking up values on Kelley Blue Book I noticed that automatic Volvos get more money on resale than do manuals. Looks as if manual Volvos aren't popular anymore.
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    News flash, jros...I don't think there was a time when Volvo manuals WERE popular, at least not in the "Volvo as most of the public knows it" age (which I think began with the intro of the 240.) It took me a year of searching to find my former car, the 740 GL, in a five speed. I didn't even bother looking for an S70T-5 5 speed...I just bought a GLT (which is auto only) and called it good.

BTW, almost without exception, a manual transmission is a significant deduction from KBB values, no matter which car you're talking about.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I believe the S60 2.4 is history but the V70 2.4 soldiers on.
  • Options
    Volvo manuals have NEVER been popular.
    They just gather dust on dealer lots.

The S60 2.4 is available only to fleet companies for 2005.
    The V70 2.4 continues.
  • Options
    Volvo manuals have NEVER been popular.
    They just gather dust on dealer lots.

That's right - it's not easier whacking Chip and Buffy in the back seat with a fly swatter if you have to grind gears!!
  • Options
    Are you buying a car for the next owner, or for YOU?
    If what YOU prefer is manual transmission, then why not buy that, instead of shopping for the next owner?

We've bought 2 Volvo wagons with MT, a 1990 240 and a 2000 V70. Neither one was on the dealer's lot, but they weren't all that hard for our dealers to find, either.

$10,940 vs. $11,230 : that's the KBB private-party price difference between manual and automatic for a 2000 V70 2.4 in good condition with 75k miles.

Having said all that, our latest Volvo (an '04 V70) is an automatic, and I really like it.
  • Options
    I would agree, buy what you want.
    Just understand how hard it could be to unload a manual wagon.
    KBB doesn't tell the whole story.
    Hell, for $290 difference I'd take the automatic every day and so would everyone else.
    The manual would have to be ALOT cheaper, or you'd have to get lucky and find a manual freak like yourself.

Good Luck
  • Options
    ...for $290 difference I'd take the automatic every day and so would everyone else.
    The manual would have to be ALOT cheaper, or you'd have to get lucky and find a manual freak like yourself.

Everyone has their own priorities. Today, that auto option in a Volvo is $1,200 at MSRP I believe. So after 4-5 years I'll get a $4-500 return on it over an auto. Essentially I've paid $7-800 to be miserable over that time.

My current car is an auto after 15 years of driving sticks. I hate it - we bought it just in case my in-laws visited and needed a car. In 6 years, they've used it once. I would've rented them a car for the day.
  • Options
    johnwngjohnwng Member Posts: 24
    I am wondering if anyone knows the lug nut size for 2003 V70? I need to purchase a wrench socket to be used together with the torque wrench. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I love wagons and am tall. We have a Subaru Outback but it is a bit small for me as a driver. A Passat fits great.

We had an S40 (2000) and it really soured me on Volvo. Many problems that the dealer just could not fix inlcuding a suspension squeak. Nice dealer - problems just would not stay gone so I sold it for a Honda Accord which has been great.

I take heart from the notion the V70 has more "Volvo" in it than the part Mitsubishi, Part Vovlo S40.

Is a V70 wagon likely to at least be more reliable than a Passat? And should the experience be better than my S40?
  • Options
    sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Don't wnat a SUV, simply need more hauling space than Impala provides. How does V 79 compare to Pilot.

What is value of Vovlo compared to Honda after a couple fo years?

ANy help is appreciated.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    My wife and I purchased a CPO 2001 V70 back in January, and until it was totaled in an accident in May, it was trouble free.

We loved it so much that when we got the insurance settlement money, we used it to purchase a new 2004 V70.

We've now got over 12,000 miles on our 2004 V70 and haven't had a single problem. It is a supremely comfortabe touring car with lots of room for the whole family.

We love it!
  • Options
    tracymtracym Member Posts: 2
    I am a single mother interested in purchasing a 2004 Volvo V70 wagon. My number one concern is safety, but I am also dumping my 2000 Passat XLS due to excessive service issues too numerous to outline here. The guys in my office are telling me to forget about a wagon & to go with an Acura or an Infiniti because those cars have good crash test results and service records. Any off the cuff reactions out there? If you had it to do again would still buy the V70?
  • Options
    We've now owned 3 Volvo wagons over the past 14 or 15 years, and yes, I would still buy the V70 if I had to do it again. My wife thinks they are great.

We also have had Japanese cars. Your colleagues probably are correct that Japanese cars tend to be more reliable than European models. So Honda or Toyota may be the way to go if reliability is your main concern.

However, you say it is safety. Even though most cars now come equipped with air bags, and at least offer ABS, Volvo remains exceptional in their emphasis on saftey research & development.
    One feature that sets them apart is their anti-whiplash seats and superior head restraints. Whiplash injury is a leading cause of personal injury claims. Swedish research suggests that the Volvo and Saab seats do provide significant benefits. And, almost all Volvos safety features (except for Dynamic Stability Control and the new blind spot sensors) are installed on every car ( they aren't "options".)

Volvos also offer exceptionally comfortable seats. The V70s not only have loads of cargo space, but the seats fold down more easily than in your Passat. Gas mileage is good too, for a car its size.

Personally I also prefer the styling of European over Japanese cars, but I guess that's just a matter of taste. If you do lean towards Japanese cars, I'd consider a Subaru. Much more practical for a single mom than an Acura or Infiniti, with 4 wheel drive and excellent crash-test results.
  • Options
    flyfisherflyfisher Member Posts: 8
    My family is making the decision between these two cars. I was hoping someone on this board had experience with both and would share that with me. Both of the cars we are looking at are similarly equipped 2004 certified pre-owned. The VW has 11,000 miles the Volvo 20,000. The Volvo includes two routine services ($650 value according to the dealer) and the Volvo would have about 16,000 more miles in warranty.
    Thanks
  • Options
    sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    The news lately has had several comments (Click and Clack column, Consumer Reports, etc, making comments about the problems with VW reliability.) I would go Volvo.
  • Options
    bing330ibing330i Member Posts: 89
    Can anyone advise when the new design will come out? If a new design will change soon, the pressure to lower the price would be greater. Thanks.

I checked the edmunds fair value for used car. But from a personal point of view, what do you think a fair price would be for a 2004 XC70 at 20k miles, excluding options? Thanks.
  • Options
    Figure 2 yrs at least.

Also, new models rarely cause big price drops w/ Volvo wagons, too much demand for them.

Figure a used 04 will run high 20's to low 30's depending on mileage and pedigree.
  • Options
    flyfisherflyfisher Member Posts: 8
    We went with the Volvo, thanks for your input.
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    We did have a bit of a drop w/ 00 XC's when the new models came. How about down there?
  • Options
    Some drop yes, that was due to a completely new body for 01 and the incentives on the 00's.

A current body used wagon does pretty well here.
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Ditto. Wish the 80's stayed as strong!
  • Options
    debaterdebater Member Posts: 1
    just need as much info as I can get.

We are looking at a '98 V70 XC with 61k miles. It's going to the Volvo dealer for some maintenance work (timing belt, check engine light...) The price is good, $10,995. And the car is in relatively good shape. Consumer reports didn't give this model a great reliability report. I've heard Volvo's are as good as the amount of money you spend to keep them running. I am not interested in putting a lot more money into this car. Is this true? Does anyone own one? Any common problems? Any info would help. Thank you.
  • Options
    Most of the 98's were just fine.

A few had tranny and driveshaft problems.

I'd look at the maintenance records and see how it has been cared for.

Volvo being a European car, maintenance is somewhat more expensive than a Ford or a Honda.

Get yourself an extended service contract if at all possible.