Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    davec8davec8 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks very much! How do you know that the dealer cash exists and is 2500? Is that general knowledge? And when you say to offer 24K, is that inclusive of delivery fee and all that, or would you assume that would be added on to the 24?
  • Options
    rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    well it depends on the area but im pretty sure its 2500 for the 2.0T and 5500 for the vr6. and the 24k includes the delivery charge
  • Options
    jpassatjpassat Member Posts: 3
    I’m looking at a 2006 4motion Passat (base model 4motion; ie, V6, vtex, 6-speed auto, sunroon, 6-disc CD changer, 17” wheels) with 13k miles for $19.5k. It’s VW certified (hence a 2 year warranty extension). Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    I see the Volkswagen Passat Komfort has a 0.0% APR Term: 36 months
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/volkswagen/passat/100981379/incentives.html

I hear that only about 10% of people can actually get that deal? Is that correct?
    And that usually will not deal on price if you take the 0% APR. Is that true?
  • Options
    That's been my experience, with two dealers in MA. Both are offering discounts on an 08 Komfort (23.8K on one, 25K on the other), but they're saying no to the 0% APR. Would be interested in hearing your experiences. I'm trying to evaluate whether to take the 25K offer, notwithstanding the situation with the APR. (The 23.8K offer is on a particular car in an awful color.)
  • Options
    gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    That seems like a good price.
    What kind of options are you looking for?
    If you build through edmunds here, what are the costs?
    If I build, I see
    MSRP Invoice
    $27,900 $26,064

Then I pick
    Rear Side Airbags
    Heatable Front Seats

the final numbers are
    MSRP $29,165
    Invoice $27,263
    TMV $27,948
  • Options
    speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    Hi Guys,
    I was at the VW Dealership for a 2008 (new) Passat Turbo 2.0T.

The sticker MSRP was $25,500
    Included Ipod adapter, heated seats automatic transmission AT and one other option

The dealer offered 72 months 0% financing, but was only willing to come down to $25000 EXCLUDING TTL.

Also they wanted $2995 for the extended warranty, and wouldnt talk about the maintainence plans.

Any ideas? Is this a good deal? I was thinking since these are the close out 2008's we could get it for 22-23k..
  • Options
    Those are the same options I'm looking for, and it is a good price against what's shown on Edmunds. But I would have expected an ever better price given that these are 08 cars, the 09s are out, and the economy is suffering. I have been surprised at how rigid the dealer is being.
  • Options
    speedy, look for about $500 below invoice plus the financing OR the additional rebates/dealer cash.
  • Options
    bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    $500. OFF LIST?? Walk away -or better yet run away - fast. It's a lousy deal/
  • Options
    speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    Hi Guys,
    ok look at this:
    I went to a dealership in San Juan Capistrano, CA.
    These guys were jerks!
    I asked them for a red passat base turbo with AT 2008.
    They said :"No none left,but we have a blue one 30 miles away"
    and I kept talking about the red one...again and again
    finally they said well look, we have a red one in northern california.It will cost you $200 to ship it"
    After 1 hour of telling me there are NONE in the entire USA.
    ANd to add to that, when I said, you just told me there were none left, he shook his head and said "pssh whatever" and walked away.

Anyway,
    has anyone dealt with carsdirect.com??

If the MSRP is $25,755
    and INVOICE (based on MSN carpoint) $24,122

What should I expect to buy the car for with the 0% financing for 72 month incentive???

What should I expect to pay for shipping?

Is MSN Carpoint invoice price correct??

What bout all the dealer added costs ("AD" cost, "Destination Charge")
    What are these typical fees and what should I expect?
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    These are tough times for car dealers. I wouldn't budge.
  • Options
    wcutlerwcutler Member Posts: 5
    is this a good deal?
    08 passat komfort w/ heated seats, ipod adapter and mats. In red
    marked down from 29199 to 25681.
    or whats a good price for this
  • Options
    tikkihotdogtikkihotdog Member Posts: 6
    How is your buying experience been working out? Still need some help with pricing information? Lots of confusing information out there when trying to buy a vehicle. Good thing there are always people there to help you. ;)
  • Options
    timh6timh6 Member Posts: 1
    I received a quote for a dealer demo '08 Passat Lux with Navigation and Dynaudio of $28,798. The MSRP is $33,775 and invoice is $31,414. So, this quote is $2,616 below invoice. Sounds like a great deal, except it has 4K miles on it. Dealer still calls it new since it's never been titled to anyone. Is this really a good deal or should I consider it a "used" '08 and go by the KBB retail pricing which puts it closer to $25,000 ?
  • Options
    tecumseh4tecumseh4 Member Posts: 1
    The reason for the red and blue is that they do not cause the pupils in your eyes to dilate at night
  • Options
    tikkihotdogtikkihotdog Member Posts: 6
    timh6 ask yourself. If you bought that that '08 Passat and right after was to trade it in to a dealership I think the dealership would use Kelley Blue Book, Black Book, Gaves, NADA guide or Manheim Auction Report to place a value on your car? So yes you should not consider this 2008 Passat as new in reasoning the pricing on your deal. :)
  • Options
    roqfishroqfish Member Posts: 3
    Used/Certified 2008 2.0T Base with ipod adapter - 21K miles. They wanted original asking price 22k "on sale" for 18k. I got it for $15.5 - it seems reasonable for my area. Thx
  • Options
    mediaguy2mediaguy2 Member Posts: 38
    the current promotion is sign and drive zero down 399 month, 12k miles 39 months plus tax. i have the following deal -- all of the above but at 365 a month INCLUDING tax of about $20 a month. so car itself is $345 a month. i think its really good. comments please. tia.
  • Options
    bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    Is it just me or did the Passat prices increase dramatically for 2009 models? Looks like 4-5K more...any thoughts on why?
  • Options
    The_DuckThe_Duck Member Posts: 2
    getting this offer, seems pretty decent. Any comments?
    2008 Volkswagen Passat
    - MSRP: $26,165
    - VW dealer Selling Price: $19,595
  • Options
    whitesox2005whitesox2005 Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to see if anyone has any tips on recent purchases... I'm looking for a 2009 Passat Sedan, no options, just the Komfort package. I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago. I've got to think there are some deals to be had, given the state of the industry right now.

MSRP is 28,300 + 700 destination charge. Edmunds has a TMV of 27,013, invoice of 26,436 (not incl. dest. charge).
  • Options
    ddouinddouin Member Posts: 2
    Seems like a great price...I was quoted 21,900 for base wagon auto w htd seats
    3 weeks ago also 08. Who was the dealer?
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Msrp 29xxx -- about $3500 off sticker should be a decent deal.
  • Options
    whitesox2005whitesox2005 Member Posts: 7
    Ended up getting it for 26,000 + was able to use 0% financing for 60 months. I figure the 0% is worth about another 2K, so I'm pretty happy with the deal.
  • Options
    Brettb244Brettb244 Member Posts: 2
    mediaguy2,

Did you end up leasing th 09 passat wagon? I'm trying to lease now....pretty much the same deal except they are trying to rope me in for 48 months. I would have thought with the economy in shambles they'd budge to 36 or 39 months...but not as of yet. Maybe now that it's month end, they will cave. Otherwise, I guess I'll wait for the next sign and drive event.....
  • Options
    asifgrkhanasifgrkhan Member Posts: 13
    I am getting a 2.0T 2007 Service loaner (1.5 years old) with 20k miles for 17k.
    It is a LUX model and has all options possible other than navigation.

I know the price is good when compared to a Carfax 1 Owner but the fact that it might not have been broken in properly creeps me.

Any pointers on whether it is a good idea?
  • Options
    maggie_macmaggie_mac Member Posts: 1
    I am also looking a buying a 2009 Passat Komfort service loaner. It has 4500 miles on car. Dealer is offering it at $27,793 out the door 0% financing. Any worries on the fact that maybe 150 people have driven this car?
  • Options
    most definitely. the majority of drivers abuse the loaner car by driving it hard. what do they care if it breaks? dealers should be practically throwing the bottom line pricing on cars right now. my one friend who purchased a dodge charger received $2000 BELOW the employee price, which is supposed to be their bottom line. now is the time to buy a NEW car, not a demo. remember that you lose the mileage as well as the remainding warranty on demos
  • Options
    wiknowikno Member Posts: 3
    Just got OTD price $24,150 (MSRP $28,300 invoice $21,499). What do you, guys, think about this? It is VA, MD registration.
  • Options
    zulu2zulu2 Member Posts: 2
    Have a Honda lease up in July, so I am starting to look around at what's next. Thinking of buying a Passat and saw VW has 0%/60 mos through the end of April. This is an attractive offer, but I haven't been paying attention to know if this is a "once in a lifetime" sort of deal from VW, or is it something they've been doing and will (hopefully) continue to do in the near future? Any insight from someone who has been keeping up on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    fisher54188fisher54188 Member Posts: 25
    Not but at all.
    But if you willing drive to PA, you can get a 08 Passat Komfort for only 19,494 :shades:

I regret that I got a Jetta rather than a 08 Passat :mad:
  • Options
    brooklynboy1brooklynboy1 Member Posts: 1
    I'll have A LOT more to say after I've heard back from VW Credit concerning my experiences with them as well as with a certain Brooklyn VW Dealer ...
    STAY TUNED !!!
  • Options
    wiknowikno Member Posts: 3
    VW dealers (as well as others, like Mazda) are not giving low APR if you want low price for car.
  • Options
    bambam1679bambam1679 Member Posts: 2
    I have a dealership offering me a 2009 Passat with 6,800 miles that was the manager's demo. They are asking $21,900 plus a dealer fee of $599(we have those in florida)+tag,tax(7%) and title. Since KBB does not have the pricing yet for a used 2009, does anyone think this is a good deal? It is a Certified preloved car and has never been titled. The finance rate is 4.9%(although I can probably get lower through a credit union, open to suggestions on websites to find a rate at 2.9%). The warranty will run for 5yrs/60k miles and free maintenance for the first 3 yrs. What is everyone's thoughts?
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    What is the original msrp? Then research what it would cost brand new with discount. Compare the differences. 6800 miles is a lot for a demo. There would have to be at least 4-5k difference for me to go for the preloved version.
  • Options
    bob_yagbob_yag Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    just see $24343 for a new 2009 passat at a dealer's website. a slick deal, right?
  • Options
    they have 2 instock
  • Options
    bambam1679bambam1679 Member Posts: 2
    I have worked them down to $20,500, approx $22,500 OTD. I am letting them simmer to see if they will come back. I also found a 2008 Passat LUX with no added options. They started at $26 +TTT and have chopped $3k off to get to $23k. I still think this is outrageous for a 2 yr old car with 6k miles. The only catch is that there are so few LUX levels to find used. I was thinking this car should sell for $19k OTD max. Thoughts on all this? :mad:
  • Options
    lux's are hard to find and you probably won't see many until late next year or so. if you want all the goodies, might as well go for the vr6.
  • Options
    2006vr62006vr6 Member Posts: 8
    08 lux's are hard to find. 09's & 10's don't have this trim level. You get a lot of options with lux. Got the Mrs. an 08 Passat Lux Wagon last month. Traded in an 03 Allroad (2.6 bi-turbo). We both like the Lux. Front and back parking sensors are great. 23K is a good price. Check engine type. 2.0 changed in 08. Earlier models are belt and later models (maybe april) have a different 2.0 that is chain driven. I wanted the newer engine with chain - don't want to incur the belt replacement. Love my 06 vr6 passat w/ sports pak 2 so much, went with the 08 lux because it was/is the best bang for the buck in the market. Nothing touches it for the price. Good luck hunting.
  • Options
    The_DuckThe_Duck Member Posts: 2
    Was Boston VW at the time. Ended up getting a base model 2006 automatic with 38K miles for 13850. They also threw in alloy rims.
  • Options
    lycycqlycycq Member Posts: 3
    Could you tell which dealer offered this price?
  • Options
    ottottottott Member Posts: 2
    Bought from Northeast Auto Outlet. MSRP was 28,990 including destination charge. Final price 23,350 before tax and title. The car was island gray with 26 miles on it. Good deal?
  • Options
    Did you get the 0% APR with 60 months? If you did, it's really a good deal.
  • Options
    which dealer, and is it OTD price? Can you get 0% APR for this price?
  • Options
    ottottottott Member Posts: 2
    No, I used other financing method, but it was no far from 0 APR. The dealer got exactly the negotiated price.
  • Options
    irishctirishct Member Posts: 2
    Any idea if the manufacturer incentives on the '09 Passats carried through into September?
  • Options
    peakpinepeakpine Member Posts: 1
    It seems that the best deal I can get from dealership around Eugene Oregon is
    27K+TTL 0%Apr fpr 60 months.

Any idea if I can d o better than this (like in Sep 2009)?