Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Don't even begin to think about what your final fuel consumption averages are going to be until the car has at least 5000 miles on it. Until then, both power and fuel mileage will gradually increase. We are in the middle of a road trip that is averaging 75 mph with the AC on full blast, and altitude variations of 4000 feet, and we have averaged 34 mpg on our '03 automatic LE with just a little over 4k on the odo.

Around the suburbs, we generally do 29-31 on a regular basis. As the engine has started to loosen up, the extra power is noticeable, and we have seen slow but steady improvement in fuel use. No oil consumption at all - this engine is a fine piece of work.
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    those of you who owns a 2003 corolla or matrix with manual 5 speed - do you find that you have to step on the clutch real hard/all the way to the floor to start up the engine?

just wondering. thanks
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    I have to step all the way on my 02 to get it to start. Just a little misstep and it won't turn over. You have to push it ALL the way down until it won't go any further.
  • okmomokmom Posts: 37
    We looking a car for our two teenage girls.
    we fond '01 Corolla LE 32000 miles w/ power lock/mirrors/cd/cruise for $11000.
    I think the price is fair.
    What we don't like about is we learn from carfax this was rental car. Many people abused it.
    Also it doesn't have ABS. We have two other cars both w/ ABS.
    What do you think? Should we get this one or wait to see better deal comes up?
    Is there any known problems w/ this model?

Thanks.
  • I have a 2001 Corolla LE and I have not experienced any problems - but then mine only has 10,550 miles on it - I bought mine brand new about 18 months ago - I have been driving for 28 years and have never had a car with ABS - I'm not saying that's good or bad it's just that I have done just fine without them and am used to driving with regular brakes - my car gets 30-31 MPG in the city and so far I am not aware of any recalls whatsoever - no rattles either - I think the 2003 Corolla looks alot better than mine but even so I am very happy with my '01 LE.
  • I have had 12000 trouble free miles in my 2001 Corolla S. This car seems to do everything well.
  • mpynempyne Posts: 120
    i would check out the chevy prizm instead. its the same car but cheaper. for 11k you can get one with lower miles and probably same/more options. only thing negative about the prizm is the gm warranty, but with the savings you could buy an extended warranty if needed(car might be certified anyway).

regarding abs, it all depends how they were taught
    i was taught to pump the brakes in panic situations so when
    i had a car with abs i didnt feel comfortable with them.

to check out prices try these sites

autotrader.com
    getauto.com
    cartrackers.com

them seem to have the biggest databases.
  • okmomokmom Posts: 37
    Thanks, mpyne.
    This evening, my husband fond the slightly bent hood and crack on the fuse box when he test drove '01 corolla. (also, Power Mirrors didn't work.)
    He thinks something heavy dropped on the hood.
    The sales parson agreed to sale for 10,500$.
    And then 10 mins later, he said he cannot sale it less than 10,900$.
    The car run fine, but we don't feel comfortable buying the car from this dealer.

We will check on Prizm.
    just interested to find out from those of you who owns a 03' corolla, what do you like and don't like about the car? :)
  • Like:
    Gas mileage
    Low price for excellent quality built car
    handling
    sound system
    plenty of room inside, and driver sits up high
    appearance inside and out

Dislike:
    The arm rest needs padding

Overall, I have been more than satisfied with this car. The longer I drive it the more I have enjoyed it.
  • Likes;
    fuel economy, comfy seats, interior room, styling (interior and exterior), stereo and driver seat height adjustment.

don't like;
    semi independent rear suspension, need about 20 more horsepower.

I have the "LE" version, I wonder how owners of the "S" and "CE" feel.
    i like the car a lot except:
    - driver seat could be a little bit more harder, i find it soft
    - that annoying safety switch that prevents the car from starting unless you step on the clutch! it's a nice feature but it doesn't work too well if you have thick rubber mats. :(
    - the top portion of the windshield doesn't have tint to block the sun
    - no standard a/c for all models unlike in US!

all these years, toyota finally learned to include the tachometer as standard equipment on all models! it's about time!
  • Are any Japanese built Corollas S out there now? I saw a lot of LEs and CEs with J VIN number but never seen S model.
  • Well here are my likes (loves) about my '03 Corolla S fully loaded Toyota:

Smooth ride
    Quiet ride
    Very roomy (way more room over my old civic)
    Standard options
    Great dealership experience
    Gas milage
    Great price for all the options
    Hagle free shopping on internet
    Styling
    Very comfortable seats
    Handling
    Cd player/changer
    Great sound system (no cheapy speakers like civic)
    Great power (more power than my 5 speed civic)
    Free oil changes
    High safety ratings
    Lots of trunk space (perfect for stroller) :-)
    Roomy back seats
    Roomy middle seat perfect for baby car sear
    Latch system for car seats
    Lots of storage
    Cup holders that actually hold the cup in place so it doesnt fall on floor and spill everywhere
    The bright white tachometers
    Fog lights
    Day time running lights

Dislikes:

Don't have one yet. I totalyl love this car and am hoping it stands up like my 89 Camry did...10 years 114,000 miles and no problems!!!
  • I have a 00' Corolla LE with 50K miles. From day
    one the car pulled to the left and steering wheel
    was slightly off center. The dealer checked allignment said it was perfect. They put new Michelin tires on (under warrenty of course)- Same
    problem. Recently got new tires and had allignment
    rechecked by a local store (STS tires)- same problem. I've learned to live with the problem
    because after three years (with the exception of this problem) the car has been flawless. I'm very happy with the gas milage (30-34 mpg), performence and ride.
    I have to admit I'm stumped by this problem and so is the dealer. One thing I noticed is that the steering wheel is wants to center itself, and as a result pulls to the left slightly. Has anyone else noticed this problem??
  • I have a 00' Corolla LE with 50K miles. From day
    one the car pulled to the left and steering wheel
    was slightly off center. The dealer checked allignment said it was perfect. They put new Michelin tires on (under warrenty of course)- Same problem. Recently got new tires and had allignment
    rechecked by a local store (STS tires)- same problem. I've learned to live with the problem
    because after three years (with the exception of this problem) the car has been flawless. I'm very happy with the gas milage (30-34 mpg), performance and ride.
    I have to admit I'm stumped by this problem and so is the dealer. One thing I noticed is that the steering wheel wants to center itself, and as a result pulls to the left slightly. Has anyone else noticed this problem??
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    This may sound stupid, but have you tried swapping the left front and right front tires and see what happens? We had this same problem on a Camry years ago, and after multiple tire brand changes and aggrevation, we had them swap left to right and was a lot better, not dead on perfect, but better.
    Hope this helps.

The Sandman :-)
  • That happened to my Honda civic. I told the dealer to swap my tires from front to back and then do a 4 wheel alignment and then balance them. Solved the problem. Just don't have it done at a dealership. Will cost you about 100 bucks or more. Go to a tire place should only cost 40-49 bucks.

Oh and I prefer to buy my tires at Wal Mart. You get a lifetime tire service where they balance and rotate for free every 3k miles, tire damage repair for holes, ect.

Hopefully the tires on my new corolla will last longer than 2 years...the tires on the civics are cheap! These look like good solid tires with a great warranty.
    Even my Corolla needs a 4 wheel alignment, i think all the Corollas from the last 3 generations all need 4 wheel alignments. Come to think of it, my '88 FX also needed one. The dealership should know this already, and if they don't, RUN!

• Under routine driving conditions, good service record, no prior service problem, my wife and I experienced complete engine failure at 62,344 miles (Toyota Corolla). Piston/Rod #4 failed/broke and created three large holes in the bottom block of the engine. Toyota Service Department at Stone Mountain Toyota in Stone Mountain GA refused to cover costs associated with repair despite the fact that we were only 2,000 miles over warranty. I refused service charges of between $6,000 and $2,500 and picked my car up with a flat bed trailer. I have replaced the engine myself with the help of a friend and I continue to pursue reimbursement from Toyota. Toyota national, regional, and local have all refused to consider my case despite the premature death of my engine caused by an obvious unspecified manufacturers defect.

With Toyota’s current problems with Engine Sludge going back 8 years, I believe that Toyota vehicles are about to see a massive increase in engine failures. Our Corolla is not specifically included in the company’s Engine Sludge alert (Quasi Recall) but I wonder if it could be very soon.

Buyer BEWARE! Toyota will not help you when their famous high quality engines fail!
  • Hello, I am new on this board. I am am young teen looking at possible cars to get when I get a driver's license. I have always liked the new '03 Corolla and still think it will make the perfect car for me. I also really like the new Camry. Anyway, I thought this would be a good board to come discuss the car and compare it to others. I have a question, How is the stereo system in the new Corolla? Is it pretty high quality? Is it good with bass? (I like rap music and want my car to be able to "thump" with it). Also, does anybody know much about the Matrix? I like it too, but not quite as much as the Corolla. One last question: If I get a Corolla LE, would you recommend a manuel or automatic transmission?
    Thanks!
  • I'm sorry to hear about your Corolla engine trouble - that stinks! Just wondering - how often was the oil changed - every 3K? every 5K? thanks
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,696
    It really depends on your personal preference. Automatics tend to be easier to find and resell because more people choose them, but you're the one who has to drive the car before you resell it. If you like driving a stick, try the 5-speed on the Corolla--I thought it was fine when I test-drove it on the LE. It shifted OK and was responsive. When I went for my test drive, the 5-speed was the only LE left on the lot. Because they're less popular, you might be able to get a deal on one.
  • Yeah, I guess it does depend on my prefrence, that is something I have yet to find out! The few cars that I have gotten to drive (I don't even have a learner's permit yet) have all been automatics, a manuel just seems funner because you can make the engine rev higher. But don't manuels usually have problems and more to maintain? I know most people with sports cars that have stick shifts are always getting their clutch repaired or something is wrong with their transmission, its always something. I don't know about a new sedan like the Corolla, has anybody had any problems with stick shift Corollas? Just let me know anything.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    Manuals are cheaper, more fun to drive, and require much less maintenance. The only big $$$ maintenance you need on a manual is to replace the clutch, and most can last about 100k or more miles if you don't drive like an idiot.

Just my two cents worth - my 02's stick is very smooth shifting, the throw may be a little long, and not very sporty, for some people, but it's fine for me. I just like to drive a stick for more control over my car.
  • Wow, I didn't know that. How is an automatic more expensive to mantain than a manuel. We have never had any problems what so ever on our 1997 Camry or our 1993 Tercel. I am not completly sure about how a manuel works, I mean, why do you have to replace the clutch at all? What happens to it to make it have to be replaced. I know that we bought a 1976 ChevyVan10 that is a stick and it does have problems (the gears slip and don't catch a lot just because it is so old), but we havn't haad to change the clutch. You say they last for about 100k? Well, if that is true, I won't even worry because the most I would keep it for would be maybe 200k. How much does it cost to get a clutch replaced on a 2003 Corolla (or Matrix)? I will either get a 2003 Corolla LE 5-speed or a 2003 Matrix (base or XR depending on what I can afford) 5-speed. Do you think that is a good set up fo those cars?
    BTW, is there really anything that important on the Corolla S that is not on the LE? I have noticed that the S is a lot more popular in my area, but I don't see why. They aren't really any cheaper than the LE and the LE really gets a lot of nice useful luxurios features.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,696
    Manuals start off several hundred bucks less MSRP than automatics. Because they are less popular than automatics, you can often get a better deal on them. So upfront cost will defintely be less. Automatics must have the fluid flushed and filled at regular intervals--I don't know the recommended service for the Corolla. A manual should last 100k or more without maintenance if you treat it right. The main wear item is the clutch pressure plate. To replace that can run a few hundred bucks at a dealer. Since this would be your first stick shift, you may wear out the clutch earlier than an experienced driver, so factor that in. You can crunch the numbers all you want, but in the long run I think it comes down to which one you like to drive the most. One piece of advice: if you will be driving mostly in stop-and-go traffic, you may regret getting a stick shift.
  • mpynempyne Posts: 120
    did you refuse the car??? i would have told them to stick the car up their you know what!!!! i know toyota wont do anything for you either except tell you its a dealer problem.
  • Hello again everybody, I guess I will be leaving this forum because looks like I will no be getting a car when I turn 15 or 16 for that matter! My mom is giving me all this crap about I just need to get it through my head that I am not getting a car. She said she doesn't have money to waste on something that I am just going to destroy, heck she said she wouldn't let me drive her crappy old 1998 Camry. Bullcrap that is because she just let me drive it around the block with her in it too a our grandmother's house! She said she didn't get her first car until she was 19 and she bought it herself. I am thoughrolly pissed off at the the whole world and everyone in it right now. Any suggestions on a good CHEAP used car? A JAPANESE car make that! I have noticed that 1995-1998 Avalons are pretty cheap, would they be a pretty good car for a teen? Don't say Tercel, Civic, Corolla, Sentra, or Protege either; if I have to get a cheapo old used car, it's gonna be a nice cheapo old used car. I can't believe this, my evening has been nicely RUINED!
    Seems like it's time for you to grow up a little. First, why is it that your mom should buy you a car, why couldn't you have been saving up money for many years to buy one or at least help towards the purchase of one. Second, some of us in the "real world" are very happy with our Corollas and Proteges. They happen to be nice cars which we are happy with. And at your age, a more affordable car is what you really need, not one "to look cool in"!
    Obviously your mom is a very smart woman and knows that you need to grow up and take some responsibility before you get behind the wheel! My hat goes off to her. Try changing your attitude and act more responsible and you just might be surprised what happens.
    Remember, driving is a privilige(?) and not a right.

(P.S. I have a 17 year old and a 16 year old who just got their licenses(?) last month and they are quite happy to be able to drive any car!)