Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    dunno, in the posts that I read, Drew was always PC, and I think he tried to keep forums PC too.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    He really will be missed. You should visit the ML forum over in the SUV area. People there are so upset, that most of them have left for other MB boards. A lot of Drew-related posts have been deleted, and many of those folks are fighting mad.

Edmunds lost truly one of the good guys...

Bob
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    if these comments will also disappear. I know some of the background and to my mind it stinks.

Ross
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    So, what's the background? What stinks?
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Ross: Fair enough. I did not realize you had personal contact. I would not wish to see you banned for divulging non-public issues.

A similar issue has been addressed recently on another board, where 2 people (me included) would not name names because we did not want to jeopardize the jobs of our info sources, who were dealership employees. I can relate.

Onward, ever onward.

Thx. eric
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I was only kidding about the non-PC stuff. I'll have to IM him one of these days when I see him on and find out what's up with that. I personally find Edmunds to be a bit too PC for their own good. I know at least 2 people on the Isuzu forum on here that left due to the management here escalating things to a high degree of alert (like "we are going to be contacting our legal dept") totally unneccesarily.

It's ashame to see him go, a wealth of info was put forth by him. Anyone know what board he hangs on? and what his handle is?

-mike
  • Options
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Drew has moved on and he will be missed. pf_flyer and KH will continue on as chat hosts in addition to their host duties. Let's get back to the Forester though now, please.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    mtbemtbe Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the offer Patti!!

I forgot who questioned about the WRXs having the same problem. There is a WRX web page where several of the postings are very closely related to this. Although I really don't know if it's the same problem.

I have a '99 Forester S, Manual. The hesitation is in first and second gear when letting out the clutch. I call it hesitation for lack of a better description. It's really more of a bucking action, as if I were just learning to drive a stick. It's as if the point where the clutch grips is different each time. Even when it does catch, it still 'bucks'. Seems to happen when it is colder, and is definitely worse(!), but I noticed it sometimes this past summer.

I thought it was me until I found several postings on the Vmag board.

I'm embarrased to drive with friends in the car as it looks like I've no idea what I'm doing. It's totally annoying.

My last car was a Mazda B2200, manual, and I had over 100K miles on the same transmition/clutch with NO problems. I had it for 8 years, and before that, I had a Manual Toyota Celica for 4 years and NO problems.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    mbworld.org
    and
    his handle is the same

-Dave
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Dave-- Thanks for taking the time to e-mail me with the explanation. It was much appreciated ...your kindness was unexpected.

Steve-- I'm surprised, under the circumstances that, my post wasn't immediately deleted. Thank you for allowing the short discussion on how much we miss and appreciated his presence on this board. Now onward.

--'rocco
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Winter driving tips? Well, let's see.

Drive smoothly is the key. Stay within your limits, and leave yourself an "out" if someone else screws up. Increase following distances, too.

I suggest you practice in an empty parking lot after the first snow fall. Get used to how your ABS feels. Try fast cornering, acceleration. Try to simulate oversteer/understeer scenarios, to see how your Forester responds.

Plugs - I haven't done them yet, but to me it looks like I'll be removing part of the intake on the passenger side and the windshield washer reservoir on the driver side. It's supposed to be easier than it sounds, though. I'd also suggest doing this when you change your air filter, 'cause half the work is already done.

-juice
  • Options
    I forgot this wasn't a community, you know when one loses a member of your community it generally is good to discuss it. Back to the regularly schedule forester stuff. ...

-mike
  • Options
    beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    Wouldn't want to offend anyone and get banned while discussing my new '02 Forester.

I haven't figured out yet why, of all the boards I belong to, this is the only one that doesn't allow quoting in order to put a reply in context. Puzzling.

But, then again, maybe it's like the man said, "I've been thrown out of better places than this." :)

So far today I've also learned that the diffy protector installation on the Forester requires messing with the exhaust brackets.

John
  • Options
    benmcbenmc Member Posts: 5
    The "hesitation" on my Forester is just like yours, David... but mine is an automatic!
  • Options
    logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    I have posted something about this about a year ago and again two weeks ago when my 99 S cut out. There is obviously a problem that Suburu has not been able to identify, and it is not remedied by making sure that the gas cap is tightened. I assume that S0A realizes that there was a large lawsuit settled recently because of a dangerous problem with Ford .Taurus' ((I think) cutting out at inopportune times (such as going 60mph on the highway or in the middle of an intersection!! My wife loves her Forester, but this issue must be resolved.
  • Options
    darubedarube Member Posts: 10
    The Forester made a good impression on me in my test drive.....it had power up a hill, comfortable, and the AWD makes me feel comfortable as I live off of a rural dirt road.

I have 35 mile one way commute to work, and I am someone who keeps a car for a long time. I got over 130K miles on my '87 Toyota, and my wife has > 150K on an '88 Nissan. We have my mom's old '86 Honda as a spare!!

I haven't been able to get much info on the manufacturing strengths or weaknesses of Subaru's though, their general "reputation". Are there alot of old Soobies out there? What are the most common problems that Soobie owners encounter? (ie. my dad's Volvo eats brakes for lunch).

Thanks!
  • Options
    John: indeed, you have to unhook the exhaust hangers, prop up the muffler with a jack, and then move it out of the way to attach the two bolts on the driver's side. This is only for the Forester - the Impreza and Legacy have more clearance there.

Dave: first of all, you just have to buy a Subaru, because most Subaru owners are named "Dave". I'm serious about that.

What are the pros and cons? Well, let's cover the cons first.

Common complaints include paint that chips easily, and windshields that fall prey to rocks. Besides that, the only other common issue was wheel bearing failure, due to over-torqueing them. You could add a few check-engine lights, but that's about it.

Pros include a great balance of power and fuel efficiency. I've averaged over 25mpg, and the 2.5l can outrun a few V6s out there. Ride and handling balance is best in class to this day. They are fun to drive, easy to park, easy to load, and have good payload and roof rack ratings. They are generally reliable and note that none of the problems above ever stranded anyone (that I know of). AWD is sealed and maintenance-free, button-free, trouble-free. You just drive and it gets you there.

Consumer Reports ranked Subaru #7 among all manufacturers, behind only Honda, Toyota, and Nissan (plus their 3 luxury brands). Not too shabby.

-juice
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Jump in the water's fine!

I bought a Forester S in 99'and remain very pleased with that decision. I honestly never considered a Soob before. They are a unusual breed with a relatively (compared to Toyo or Honda) small but very loyal following. I now know why. They are a tough, pretty much go anywhere (short of "real" offroading) vehicles. As to the strengths, AWD, gas mileage, sporty handling, safety, and to date mine has been bullet proof.(fingers crossed)

After 2 yrs with the Forester, I can't think of a "common problem" that I'm aware of with the possible exception of separation anxiety which I experience when I drive other makes :). Old Subies are out there but not many for sale. Owners seem to keep them forever and drive them into the ground.

I was pleased enough with my Soob experience that I bought another in April to replace a Toyota. As an added bonus, you get to converse with a bunch of nice people hear on Edmunds and have access to our personal advocate at Subaru of America - Patti. All in all a pretty good deal.

- Hutch
  • Options
    Good point - it is contagious. My cousin had a Loyale, then I bought the Forester, then she bought an Outback (her nephew got the Loyale), then my dad bought an Outback Limited.

-juice
  • Options
    Dave,

with name like this you absolutely have to buy a Subaru! Seriously.

I'm on my 3rd Subaru now (2 Loyales, and now Forester 2001), and am very happy so far. I also commute 35 mi one-way to work.

Which other cars are you considering? If you have some time, you may opt to wait for the redesigned 2003 Forester, which should show up in the US next fall. Otherwise, go for 2002 model. They have nice colors and are very much loaded, even in the lowest L trim.
  • Options
    danielldaniell Member Posts: 128
    What you guys describe seems very close to the Nissan Maxima 5 speed fuel cut-off problem... There is a message board in Maintainance and Repair about this issue (for 5 speed Maximas). I had a 2000 5 speed Maxima myself and this was one of the main reasons I sold it. The problem is caused by the emission systems, and it is a design problem, not a malfunction. I can feel it to some extent in my 2002 Forester S with auto transmission. Nissan issued a Technical Service Bulletin involving a computer reprogramming that solved this problem to a certain degree. It seems that some other new designs, such as Lexus IS-300, also have this fuel cut-off problem.
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    For plug removal the easiest way and recommended in the shop manual, is to disconnect the MAF connector located in the air intake tube down at the air filter box. Remove the air filter box cover then loosen the air tube at the second plenum and rotate out of the way. Unbolt the bottom half of the air cleaner then pry because of a hidden push type rivet under the box. This allows you room to get at and remove the plugs on the passenger side. On the driver side unloosen the windshield wiper fluid container and put it to the side. This can get messy in moving it to the side if the feed tubes come off so have some towels. This gives you the best room to remove the plugs. I had a hell of a time to remove the boots. they were frozen on, even the dealer had a tought time doing it so I was glad he didn't think I was lame. Before you replace the boots add some di-electric grease to the inside of the boot. This will help removing them the next time. after reinstalling in reverse order make sure that the MAF connector is connected and when you start up the Check Engine Light may come on until the computer reads in the code again.
  • Options
    True, if the vacuum hose under the MAF is not re-attached and sealed properly, you'll get a CEL, too.

-juice
  • Options
    tb10tb10 Member Posts: 8
    I have a newish forester with about 9000 miles on it and have been pretty disappointed with the mileage. Does this have to do with the all wheel drive, the transmission or what? I thought I was being responsible to pass on the preferred minivan and get a smaller car, but the forester gets the same kind of mileage as my previous minivan.
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    Greetings.
    What are your expectations? Your transmission type? Your driving style? Your average travel distance and traffic density? I too am at 9000 with my 2001 Forester S. I am averaging 26+ mpg in mixed short and extended drives. Help us help you (possibly) with more information.
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Darube,
    I am a new owner (since May this year) and chose my Outback despite not really noticing a large number where I live in Southern California. They're on the road, but get lost amongst all the other cars!

But I have been fortunate enough to travel to New Mexico and Alaska and see that the number of old Subarus on the road there is very noticiable. Especially in the Anchorage area, they are all over the place and the older the car, the more likely it is to be a Subaru! Hardly any older model Toyotas or Hondas.

Sure there could be a lot of other reasons, but I prefer to think the older Subarus last longer and are more "cherished" in the areas where they are the most useful.

Steve in So Cal.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'm still waiting for my '89 to die so I can get something newer! Old Subaru wagons are common here in New England.

Passed emissions again today, gets about 30 miles a gallon and I love the low range 4WD, something they should think about on the newer models.
  • Options
    cschaafcschaaf Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for all of the replies.

Should I try to take the boots off of the plugs now and use silicon grease when I re-apply them? My thinking here is that with only 100 or so miles on the car, the boots are less likely to be stuck now then when I get to 30k.

The most difficult part will be explaining it to my wife. "Yes, it is a new car, but I need to remove several critical parts, apply some of this here grease, and try to get said critical parts back in their original position."

BTW, has anyone seen a Haynes or Chilton type book for the '02 Forester? At least if I had this I could show her the pictures, "Look, part 1223445r342-r4 goes into part 432gk930-423j. I can do this!"

Chris
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I would not use silicon grease or any other lube on the plug boots they may not be conductive. Just use di-electric grease. It lubricates the boot internally and allows the current to flow. Some silicon grease can deteriorate the rubber boots. Just take a dab of di-electric grease and coat the inside of the boot using a swab or a pinky finger. This will prevent the boots from frying onto the plugs.
  • Options
    bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    Can anyone tell me how to use a good-ole compass in the Forester? Every compass I've tried gets hopelessly overwhelmed by the electromagnetic fields inside the car. I've tried positioning it everywhere I could reach from the driver's seat. If I need to know where I'm going, and the sun is not out, I have to stop the car and get out.

Now the funny thing is, Subaru offers an accessory compass for the dashboard. What's special about it? Does it have a remote sensor away from the dashboard?

--Bart
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    bblacha,

Not to make too fine a distinction, but it the presence of magnetic materials and magnetic fields more than electromagnetic fields that affect your compass.

A mount that lets the compass stand off from the dash is probably your best bet. You'll still have to hunt around for the best position but there's not much you can do about that mass of steel just in front of your dash aka the engine!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Who uses a compass anymore? Go for a GPS Dude! :)

-mike
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Who uses a compass anymore? Go for a GPS Dude! :)

GPS's are for wimps! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm greeting, everyone. And for the great comments. It is very reassuring......

My '87 Toyota was a Supra, so I must admit I'm a bit of a leadfoot and used to plenty of power. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised during my test drive that this baby didn't strain badly at all!!

'Nuther question. What is the heaviest load that anyone here has towed with their Forester?
  • Options
    tb10tb10 Member Posts: 8
    My forester is an automatic transmission. Around town it's getting about 18-19. Long trips it's getting 22-24 mpg. Not very high, but I suppose I didn't look into this enough before buying. I just assumed that since it was smaller than my minivan, that it would get better mileage.
  • Options
    How many miles? under 8K miles and you may not be at optimal milage yet. 22-24 is abour right for a relatively heavy AWD vehicle. Depending on which minvan you came from it was most likely lighter and didn't need to push all 4 wheels. The first time you don't skid out this winter that 1-2mpg difference will disappear from memory I'm quite sure.

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I would prefer to know that I'm really travelling north and not north everywhere I direct the, in your own words, "that mass of steel just in front of your dash aka the engine!".
    So,... a wimp I shall be. ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    73soob0173soob01 Member Posts: 14
    I must be a huge wimp since I use two GPSs in my Forester. (Well, sometimes three - but only on special occasions!)
    :-)

Magellan GPS 2000 - set for lat/lon readout
    Garmin GPS III - set to the moving map display, also has compass readout
    DeLorme Tripmate tied to laptop computer with DeLorme Street Atlas mapping software (if the situation warrants)

But for casual use, the Subaru compass in the rear view mirror is very handy. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Cheers,
    Scott
  • Options
    penguinpenguin Member Posts: 32
    or anything else for that matter. Just enjoy the car while it's new.
  • Options
    73soob0173soob01 Member Posts: 14
    My challenge was to find an alternate location for the dual power outlets, since they are designed for the same mounting space as the seat heater switches.

I mounted the power outlets in the ashtray space. (I only used the ashtray to store the garage door opener, so no big loss.) The wires were long enough I was able to make the electrical connections as specified in the instructions, even with the different mounting location.

I did some creative sawing and filing to get the power outlet housing to fit in the ashtray space, and secured it with a combination of screws, safety wire, and plastic model glue. (The glue was mainly to hold it in position so I could install the screws and wire for strength.)

Cheers,
    Scott
  • Options
    What accessories did you get when you purchased your Subaru, and which ones did you purchase later. Did you get the from the dealership, or did you get them from the aftermarket?

I am trying to determine which accessories are really useful and which are fluff. One that has caught my attention is the full hood cover (protector), since I live on a dirt road in deer territory. Is this item as useful in practice as it is in theory? :-)
  • Options
    Pertaining to the TV commercial where they are comparing the Forester with an Escape, at the very end, a statement is made that goes something like this: "A smarter way to ________ an SUV." Can anyone fill in the blank and let me know exactly what is being said? It's after the female dummy exits the Escape and exclaims "nice car!" to the Crocodile Dundee dummy as it exits the Forester (can't remember at the moment what the Crocodile Dundee dummy retorts) when a female voiceover says the statement in question to conclude the commercial. I've listened to it time and time again but can't quite make out the statement. I know when someone reveals what is being said that I'll feel like an idiot for not being able to make it out on my own but I just can't seem to understand what they're (she's) saying. Thanx.

--'rocco
  • Options
    At the end he says something like "I'm not a dummy", or something to that effect. I do not recall her specific line.

I have towed about 1500 lbs or so. Here is a photo of that load. And I swear that is a dog on top, not a cat. ;-)

My mileage improved about 2mpg after the first year. Hopefully you'll get 20-21 in the city and 24-26 mpg on the highway. I average 25 right now, and it was only 23 or so the first year.

Accessories? I have lots, what did you have in mind? I find the hitch and hitch bike rack useful. The armrest extension is nice, but try it to see if you find the height comfy. A cargo net keeps groceries from sliding around.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I noticed that they changed the Forester "tagline" from: "Car easy, SUV tough," to "A better way to build an SUV."

Bob
  • Options
    Yeah, that ad campaign had lasted 4 years.

-juice
  • Options
    Bob-- Okay, I don't know why I couldn't piece that together.*bonks self on the head* Build! ...I believe that's it. I still say it isn't said too distinctly, though ...she kind of mumbles or slurs it. :P Thank you.

--'rocco
  • Options
    Here are photos from my DIY tire rotation. Check out my crafty way of getting both tires on the same side of the car up at once.

I rotated F<>R, no side to side.

-juice
  • Options
    Wouldn't you just stick a jack under the side of the car and lift the whole side? That's what I do every weekend for auto-x. Which lead me to another point. The studs on the subies must be darn strong, cause I have changed my tires at least 100x since June and no studs have broken yet.

-mike
  • Options
    What do you use as a jacking point?

If you skip the wood, you can damage the underside.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.