Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Hey, John,

I don't know that's problem. I like Rock Hard's bumpers, Jeeperman, More's Hi-Clearance bumper, Hanson...

The fishing sounds like a dream. Right now I'm Monday through Thursday I'm outta the house at 7:30 am and don't get home until 8 pm. Makes for a tiring day.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I wouldn't let the possibility of death wobble stop me from putting a lift on my Jeep. There are LOTS of lifted Jeeps that have no such problem. Some might have had the problem right after the lift was installed, but they were able to make corrections.

It's just a potential hazard to be considered when a lift is installed. When it happens, some folks get it corrected easily, and some struggle with it for a while before solving it.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Hey Keats. Whats the most functional and looks good on your Jeep? I see people adding things that look bad but are functional or look good and not functional. Something that does both always wins. John
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    It sounds like your saying that the better the lift, the less problems you will have. A common sence approach. Same for tires. The 3.07 in my Jeep has been making me do alot of homework. I have read every post concerning the 3.07 and tire size and still have not made a decision. But thats the fun of Jeep ownership. No vehicle like it on the road (or off). By the way-I still have the chrome wheels. Will change them eventually but then I would have nothing to make you cringe in your chair:) They look better with mud. Thanks, John
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Paul-
    It's been reiterated many times in this forum, but I agree that these nerf bars are good-looking. This picture shows them off especially well! Nice! :shades:
    Gary
  • rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    Tom,

I can handle that. My wife is exited about coming down. We're heading to West Virginia next week, so we're probably looking at July sometime. I'll give you plenty of time to check your schedule. I just got back from the dealership my baby came in today, I have to wait till tommorow as they have to do all there dealer prep. It was hard to leave it there.

I'll be in touch,

Ron
    Ron:

How could you leave that Jeep there??? I would have INSISTED that they prep it on the spot. How are you going to be able to sleep tonight???

Surely you are taking the day off tomorrow??? No way you are going to wait until after work to pick that baby up, are you?

Post some pics ASAP.

You gonna pass by anywhere close by here on your way to WV?

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Today GiGi and I got caught in the backup of an accident (I-15 - was stopped just beyond the Razor Road exit). I sat there for a while with the engine running and the air conditioning on and got thinking about something that mac posted a long time ago. He mentioned that the engine temperature gauge is little more than an idiot light. I'm sure that he's right because after about 20 minutes of a little crawling then totally stopped, my temp gauge didn't budge.

This brings me to my first question - where is the sensor for the thermometer on the mirror? How sensitive is it to heat coming off of pavement and the engine? When I came to a stop the temp was 100. When it reached 115 I decided to turn off the engine (there was no sign of movement for the half mile I could see) and roll down the windows because I figured that all that extra heat was coming from the engine, even though the engine temp gauge hadn't moved up at all. I sure didn't want to overheat in the middle of the Mojave desert when the temp was in triple digits.

Second question is about the engine gauge - what does it take to make it move? I was hoping to use it to decide when I needed to turn it off - I prefer air conditioning as much as possible when it's that hot. However, if it is really just like an idiot light, does it not move until it is on the verge of overheating (which would have been a little late for turning it off in the situation I was in).

Thanks for any insight.
    Harriet:

The temperature gauge is somewhat better than an idiot light. It is calibrated at a few different temperatures, so there is at least one position between the normal operating temperature of 210°F and "too hot." There could be more than one position in between there. So, you should get some warning before it overheats.

You can help the situation by applying a little throttle while you are sitting there. Get you RPM up from idle speed so that your fan turns faster and draws more air through the radiator. You don't have to get too crazy, just get up to around 1200 to 1500 RPM. You can put the tranny in neutral or park, if it is an automatic, which I think you said yours is. That will let the engine run at a little higher RPM than it would if you left it in drive with your foot on the brake.

The Wranglers have a pretty darned good cooling system. I know that when I am crawling along just barely moving at Turkey Bay in the heat of the summer, Thelma Jane's temp gauge doesn't get much beyond the 210° F mark. I does go up a little in extreme cases, so I guess that answers the question about there being a position between normal and melt down. :)

Tomster

• rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    Tom:

I cut them some slack because it came in late, they were like, a we'll try and have it ready tommorow. I said get r done I'm picking it up at 12:30. My route to WV is 74 east to 70 east.

Ron
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    From #17663: "Even when I sat idling with the a/c on for three and a half hours on a freeway close to Mississippi in the middle of the summer, the temp gauge didn't move."

I think you would have been fine. If the gauge moves to the 3/4 position then think about turning off the a/c, and the engine as well if you're actually stopped. If the gauge gets any higher than that you'll also get a 'Check Gauges' light, at which point you should shut down regardless.

Like I said, I think you were fine, and would have been so for much, much longer.
    Ron:

I think it's time to switch to email, so that we don't take up server space and so that we don't bore our friends with our plans to get together.

My email is public in my profile, so how about sending me an email, and we will make our plans for Turkey Bay.

Tom

Thinking about the "Jeep Jamborees" and all the references to "Turkey Bay" among this group, do you all think a "Tom-Boree" would catch on? We could get special made T-shirts and all the assorted goodies. Hmmmm.....if we could only come up with the perfect person to organize such an event...... :P
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    .....if we could only come up with the perfect person to organize such an event

the person would have to be really enthusiastic about Jeeps and Wheelin'
    Not sure we have anybody around here quite like that ;)

Would everybody get there own paper towel roll and bug cleaner??? :P
    "Thinking about the "Jeep Jamborees" and all the references to "Turkey Bay" among this group, do you all think a "Tom-Boree" would catch on? We could get special made T-shirts..."

Like this?"

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    redrocker, I looked for quite a while before deciding on the rockers I got. I even visited their facility when in Phoenix for some training. That sealed it. :)

They've been VERY solid for me since I've had them and luckily they have never had to be a pivot point for me on a trail. :)

As for bumper choices and what works best, you need to think about where you intend to offroad. If you are in the rocks and such, narrower front bumpers would help give the clearance for the tires to bump into them and lift up and over them. If you are in tight areas like in the East (and TB) a wider bumper will help protect the fenders a bit more.

You could go with a tube type bumper like the Toys by Troy.

While I liked the design and implementation of that bumper, it wasn't for me. I wanted something a bit more traditional and provide good protection for the fenders (which the TbT does) but would provide protection on the roads as well. I went with a Jeeperman front and rear bumper combination. My front bumper is 54" to protect the fenders a bit. It is the box steel. Other bumpers, like Warn, are open in back, kinda like the stock ones, so I ruled them out. The box steel is heavier and the shackle mounts are welded front and rear, so they aren't going anywhere. I also liked the integrated receiver hitch that I could use to pull a small trailer or mount a bike rack, etc.

While my bumper COULD be a different design to protect closer to the fenders, it isn't but I don't think it will be a problem for me. I designed one borrowing from several bumpers I've seen, combining fender protection, radiator/grill protection, winch protection, and high clearance for wheels/tires in rocks.

-Paul
    Hey, Paul, on your Jeeperman front is that the old design with the bar welded or the new design with the extra light bar?

I am leaning toward Jeeperman's especially since I already have the Jeeperman Trail Skids, which I think are awesome. Eddie Kline is great to deal with and has excellent customer service. He has a very good reputation and frequents a Rubicon board that I'm a member of.

I think I've posted this before, but here is a picture of the Jeeperman Skids on my Rubicon:
    The bumpers are the new style. The light bar bolts in using the same bolts that hold the bumper onto the frame. It isn't going anywhere!

-Paul
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    I am thinking of adding the borla exhaust and headers what do you guys think of this product. At the same time I would be gettting the bridgestone dueler a/t revo
    link title
    would you guys recomend any other tire or size tire thanks
    or should i forget the exhaust and get a winch or something?
    I'd get a winch or something, and have you thought about going with the BFG AT KO instead of the Revos?
    I don't think it will either. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right thing. I might go ahead and get the light bar now since it will work with the factory bumper and then get the bumper down the road...
    Tom; something like that would seem appropriate! But does it also come in red? ;)

I'm guessing that was a customized present you got? I also really liked Dan's (99tj) suggestion regarding the commemorative paper towels and bug cleaner - - even though you're beyond that point with Thelma Jane, you'll never totally live it down. Not even now that Randy has joined the cult!

Keep smiling! :surprise:
    Gary
    You won't gain a whole lot by putting in a new exhaust. I'd probably opt for a more useful modification like body armor (bumpers, rockers, underside skids, etc) and/or a winch before I thought about messing with the exhaust.

As far as tires, depending on where you wheel and how much you do, a BFG AT will last a LONG time. Offroad, the AT works well is soft dirt, rocks, like in soCal. However, in mud, the AT becomes a racing slick. Mud Terrains would do you better there.

I've heard good about the Revo's, but my experience is with the BFG's.

-Paul
    what tire size would you recomend then
    I'm running 30x9.5 BFG AT's right now. With my Dana 35/30 combination, I won't be going any bigger than 32x11.5. This will, however, require either wheel spacers or wheels with backspacing lower than the 5.5" my Canyon wheels have.

Tire size will be limited by axle strength (IMO), lift (suspension and/or body lift 1" max). I have 2.5-3" of lift and could go to 32's, 33's if I add a 1" body lift.

What is your intended use for your Jeep? Onroad only? Offroad trails? Extreme stuff? That will help determine what your needs are as well.

-Paul
    I like to go offroading whenever possible I dont know if I want to do extreme stuff yet but what do you consider extreme
    :)

Stuff like Turkey Bay would be considered moderate in my book. There are some areas at TB which I would call extreme that I'm NOT going to do. :) My jeep is still a DD and I don't really want to risk serious damage.

This is moderate...

This is extreme... :)

-Paul
    yeah i like the moderate stuff
    Guess all of these pictures have you timing out before the page loads, huh Mac?

Sure wish you had a better connection to the Net.

Tomster

P.S. Speaking of pics, is the picture upload feature now available to everyone? I mean the new feature that will make a link to a picture show up in the post, and the pic will show up in a separate window when the link is clicked on.
    Randy-

Don't worry; you're probably at least a few weeks away from such activity as picture 3! In all truth, I'd guess the lion's share of us who frequent this forum haven't been in such extreme positions. There are several who have, and I know they enjoy it for the most part. Like Tom indicates, the resulting scars are a kind of beauty marks!

I've done some off-road stuff, but have never come close to the limits of what even a stock jeep can do. Still, there are scrapes and scratches from branches and so forth. Replaced one windshield which had about 5 rock dings (reason for replacement was the result of owner stupidity), only to catch a new rock with the new windshield about a month later. Oh well.....it does add character! And Jeeps really do appreciate the opportunity to play off-road from time to time!

Gary
    Thanks for reminding me about that pic feature... I probably should use that instead but most of the pics I show are not on my hd here. :( Time to burn a CD I guess. :)

-Paul
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't think it's generally available yet since I haven't seen any memos.

tidester, host
    Good point! It may be a few days before good ol' Mac can post anything given all the pictures..... drum-based internet and all!

I did learn to post via the "Url" button which at least give the reader an option whether to see the picture or not. But that still requires the "photobucket" or equivalent service to generate the url. I would be interested in the "direct link option" which Tom beta'd for Edmunds as well......

Gary
  • moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    hi all,

i have posted once already but have not made an official greeting. i bought a 2000 wrangler soft top about a month or so ago, and have been having a blast with it. i am gradually adjusting for the hotter weather, and so far have been just folding the top down and keeping all the windows and doors with me. here in NY, we rarely go a whole day without rain. i am considering modifying the top a bit, maybe throwing on a bikini and duster. the listings i see for the dusters always list "factory soft top folded down" or "factory hard top removed" but what about if the soft top is removed? is it the attachment system that is different or is the duster cover shaped to allow for the folded top still being on? also, how much trouble is it to take say, a safari top on and off? right now, i can quickly slide the convertible back up if a storm hits. do bikini types generally stay on or do people take them on and off depending on weather, etc.

thanks for any help. just trying to get a feel for the jeep life right now.

Michael
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    My gas gage gave out yesterday on my 05 rubi unlimited with 4K miles. My light came on to get gas so i pulled into a station and put $10 in. I started up and began to drive off and the gauge was still showing empty and lay below the red line. The gas station tendant told me it must be my gas gauge the computer does not lie. We got into a slightly heated argument until we went out and used the same pump put .50 cents on it and it came out. He was right i was wrong and now i have to go to the dealer to get the gas gauge repaired. Anyone else have this problem????
    I like that picture........
    I have never experienced shaking in my 05 unlimited rubi and i have had it up to 85MPH runs good and smooth on the freeway.......
    Mo:

I'm not aware of any bikini tops that are designed so that they can be left on with the soff top up. I think they all attach to the windshield header like the soft top does, so it has to be one or the other, not both.

Tomster

There are two versions of dusters available - one for if you have the soft top folded down and one for if you have no top on it at all (ie no hard top and the soft top (and its mounting hardware) removed.

If you have a soft top and you leave the hardware brackets and such on, then you would need the version that works with the soft top installed. There is actually additional space/fabric for the soft top to fit underneath it, as I understand it.

I have a duster on mine, and I have a soft top. I honestly don't know if it is for the soft top or if it just works with no tops attached at all - I remove my soft top hardware when I use it because I have the no-drill header over my windshield. In the attached photo, you can see the soft top bracket mounting points on the sport cage, just behind the upper doors.

You will need either a drill in header which is always attached (and works with both hard and soft tops) or the no-drill header which attaches with bolts using the top latching points over the windshield. I didn't want to drill holes, so I opted for no drill.

A safari top is really no more trouble to install than a bikini. it is just longer. It attaches at the rear around the seat belt mounting points.

I have run with the safari, duster, and upper doors on during rain. if you are moving, you may feel some mist on you as you drive, but it is manageable. You will probably get some water in over your doors (even with door surrounds on) where the safari attaches just behind the header, but nothing major. Water will pool up on the duster a bit, but if you keep an eye on it, you can get the water off by lifting it up a bit.

Here's my TJ with the duster/safari combo on.

-Paul
  • myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    Hello everyone, picked up a 05 sport for a great deal a few weeks ago and looking to take it somewhere if anyone is close to the Anderson area (45 min north of indy) let me know.
    had to beat Tom to it!

It is located in west Kentucky at the Land Between the Lakes. Tom's URL is http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/.

For good moderate offroading, see the pics I posted a few posts ago. Tom is a good trail guide and is not lacking in enthusiasm for offroading. :)

-Paul
  • chris_doingchris_doing Member Posts: 9
    Hi all-

Picked up an '01 Sport that I was told had the "off road" group. Wasn't sure what he meant until I got there and on the side of the hood is a decal that says "Off-Road" and on the hood one that says "off-road" and "4X4 "

Can anyone reccommend a resource where I would be able to identify whether this is actually an options group or just some stickers someone put on the thing?

Chris
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Just fancy stickers I'm afraid. 'Off Road Group' implies that the basic vehicle needs enhancing to venture off the pavement, but nothing could be further from the truth! ;)

You appear to have a nice Sport, with the 30" wheel group and foglights. If you take your V.I.N. to a Jeep dealer they can print out the original build specifications, or you can request it from Jeep.com.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    hard to tell from the image, but it looks like there might be racing stripes added on too.

Seems like a nice Jeep, though.

Hey, how much for the blue on blue Econoline across the street?

-Mike
    Blue:

I moved from the Anderson area a few years back; if I still lived there I'd definitely take a cruise down to LBL and Turkey Bay with Tom. IMHO, Wranglers are not bad road vehicles so the trip down to KY would be very do-able. Of course, they are as aerodynamic as bricks and the soft tops (at least the pre- sail cloth versions) generate tons of wind noise, but Hey! They're Jeeps!

I don't recall many people from Central Indiana in this forum, but there are also groups in Illinois with organized clubs. The Anderson area SHOULD have some accessible areas for decent offroading, but the Turkey Bay thing is a certainty. Have fun and enjoy the ride! - Gary
  • chris_doingchris_doing Member Posts: 9
    Badlands Offroad Park is in Attica, that's about two and a half hours away from me. Drop me a line if you want to head out there sometime.
    Blue:

Welcome to Emdunds Jeep Wrangler! Congrats on that Jeep.

I would love to have you come down here and wheel with me at Turkey Bay. It's a long drive, I know, but I think you would say it was worth the trip after we have been on the trails at TB. Paul already gave you the link to my Turkey Bay website.

Much closer to you, and a real nice place to wheel, is Badlands in Attica, IN. It's a pay to play private park and ecompasses 700 acres around an old rock quarry.

One thing about going somewhere to wheel that can make all the difference in how much you enjoy yourself is having a local guide. Without someone to guide you, you can get into trouble by getting into something too extreme, or you could just not even find the fun spots. I am your man for Turkey Bay. I go just about every weekend. I've been to Badlands, but not enough to do any guiding there.

Tow hooks front and back and a CB radio are minimum requirements.

Come on down!

Tomster

Chris:

You are welcome to come down to Turkey Bay, too, if it is practical for you. Maybe you and Myboyblue could hook up and convoy on down here sometime? Where do you live? Chicago?

Tomster

P.S. I see that you have tow hooks. Good! You also need a CB, if you are going to be doing some wheelin'. Communication is important on the trails. Also, at least while you are wheelin', you need to take off those steps. They will only hang up on something and rip off, usually damaging the rocker panel in the process.
  • moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    thanks, paul. that answers my question about the dusters. does your cab keep dry through storms with the safari/duster combo? i notice you dont have the windjammer on it, which i am not really interested in either. (nice jeep by the way!)