Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I think 15K service might be pre-mature. Unless you are hauling a lot, towing or driving in harsh conditions. If you are concerned, maybe target 25K.

I don't think the temp light has anything to do with concealing a problem. I believe there is a "check engine" light in the '02...does the '03 have one? Maybe the '02 has some hidden engine problem?

Seriously though the temp light is probably for towing and realistically the MDX is not the best tow vehicle. The typical profile of someone who tows with the MDX is probably the 1 or 2 timer on vacation or something. Less likely to pay attention to loads, tongue weight, etc. and overload the truck. The light to me seems like a good feature.
  • Options
    bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    but I haven't seen too many passenger vehicles with a tranny temperature indicator.
  • Options
    I had a 78 pontiac safari wagon that had an A/T light. Temp/low fluid etc doesn't seem like that new of a concept. BTW the check engine light was only a bit of sarcastic humor...
  • Options
    mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    At some of the "other" Acura TL forums, the owners have been installing external transmission coolers with the thought that the heat has been contributing to transmission failures. Only time will tell if that is correct. Some of the owners of affected TL's have had their transmissions replaced 3 times in the space of months. The replacement transmissions are supposedly their's that have been rebuilt.
  • Options
    kaitsukaitsu Member Posts: 41
    Dealers, have you seen MDX appear yet at car auctions? Price ranges? Thanks!
  • Options
    will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    Just curious if the transmission failure happens when people starting towing even if the transmission coolers are installed?

Anyways, I very much like the '03. The ride is great compared to the larger SUV. But it's still different than my Honda Accord ride thought.
  • Options
    maxvac32maxvac32 Member Posts: 5
    I would be very interested to hear if anyone is actually getting under MSRP on an '03 MDX. I'm in the market to buy one now and although the dealers all seem to all be quoting MSRP, I haven't seen anyone even hint they will go under that to get my business.

Dealers do seem to be having an easy time getting the color and style(prem vs touring) available which tells me something.

Plus, I haven't seen that many MDXs driving around my area with temp tags so maybe sales aren't as high as before.
  • Options
    gregg22gregg22 Member Posts: 2
    mdx_kid,

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected the fuel probably wouldn't make much difference in normal driving, but your experience would confirm that. I do agree though that for long trips it definitely makes sense to give it the good stuff.
  • Options
    Actually, I looked around for below MSRP before I brought also. I'm not sure which area you live but in the SF Bay Area, it is not possible (in my experience).

I called quite a few places and I can only get MSRP at best. Some still even gouge at $2000-$3000 above MSRP with and w/o DIO.

Well if you can hold off long enough eventually the market will dicate below MSRP (not sure when) but the GMs, Fords, Chryslers are feeling the pinch of lesser interest from autobuyers.

I did hear that Navi and DVD is a big hit with some buyers so some are waiting for those to arrive. I just got the Touring one and I am very happy with it.
  • Options
    I checked all of the dashboard lights in my '02 today, just for point of record the A/T temp light is also in the '02 model year.
  • Options
    bennewmanbennewman Member Posts: 12
    I have a contract in on an '03 touring/dvd/navi for $1000 off MSRP. This is through Fountain Acura in Orlando, Florida. Ask for John Pate.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    It might prove useful should I decide to get an MDX. I'm also in O-Town. How much negotiating did you have to do to get $1000 below MSRP?
  • Options
    bennewmanbennewman Member Posts: 12
    I actually negotioted between 2 dealers, one was offering $500 off, then he said $750, and I approached Fountain and they beat that deal. Don't think I could do much better. Don't mention my name, though.
  • Options
    Your secret's safe with me ;)
  • Options
    mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    After finding out that I have to replace the transmission on my Odyssey, I've decided to buy an extended warranty on my MDX

I was offered a 6 year/100,000 mile/$100 deductible warranty for my '01 MDX with 39,000 miles on it for less at the dealer than from Warranty direct, so that's the way I'll go. I need to see the paperwork, but the salesman told me it covers everything except normal wear and tear.
  • Options
    what price?
  • Options
    mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    The price quoted was $1,395. Warranty Direct quoted $1,495 for what appears to be the same coverage.
  • Options
    mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    I just purchased a 2003 MDX Base at a good price. Now I am in search of particular accessories. Does anyone know where I can get the clear headlight cover protection films to place over the headlights and fog lights? My wife purchased them sometime ago for her Maxima through Herringtons, but now they seem to have dropped the item. Also, does anyone know where I can get the wooden shift knob for the MDX at a discounted price? Does hondaworld.com sell these items?
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    hondaacuraworld.com

what did you pay?

INKY
  • Options
    kai_mingkai_ming Member Posts: 33
    Are you in the position of sharing the price
    and State?
  • Options
    palmduckpalmduck Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am new to the post and I was wondering if the third row seat was roomy enough? Have 4 children, all teenagers. I want an SUV, but not a huge one, i.e. Navigator, Yukon XL/Suburban, etc.

Thanks.
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    palmduck: You'll have to decide that for yourself. Have carried high school kids for up to 20 minutes in third row with no complaints. However, it is not roomy and I doubt anyone over 5 feet tall will be comfortable for very long.
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I agree fully with fndlyfmrflyr on the comments. I've got a 10 & 12 yr old who ride back there when we carry grandparents or friends and they do fine for now. My 12 yr old is very tall and he has begun to complain a little on trips over 30 minutes about knee room back there.

We get lots of use in carrying 4 - 5 kids friends and the 3rd row was one of the primary reasons we went with the MDX and have never regretted it given that it was on our short list of available SUVs in 2001 when we bought ours.

But as they say, ya really gotta try it yourself.
  • Options
    I found if you do not notch back too much the second row, the third seat is still somewhat useable.

But if you notch back the second row too much then the third row is for storage only.
  • Options
    If the 3rd row is similar to the one in the Pilot,then whoever rides back there also has to have very small feet because there is no toe room under the 2nd row seat.
  • Options
    Bodydouble: Yep, it is tight back there, but my size 13s fit well enough for a short ride. The MDX replaced a true seven - full size adults - passenger mini van. In 18 years, the rear seats were only used for trips of over 30 minutes or so on a few occasions, so third row long ride comfort was not a concern for us. I am amazed that teens, even in evening dresses, don't seem to have problems getting in and out. When I get in and out of the third row I wonder if candid camera is recording the event.

Will4271: I keep the driver side backrest in the full up position when the third row seat is in use. My small passenger side second row back rest, the part that moves to give access to the third row, is more vertical, when in the full up position, than the larger driver side back rest. I usually recline the small side to match the large side (one notch).

Comment: Rear seat passengers (both rows) like the ability to recline the seats, especially on long rides.
  • Options
    wittigswittigs Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the MDX. Does anyone have experience towing a boat with it? It would be right at towing capacity, so I'm curious how it would do. Thanks...
  • Options
    I was not supposed to tell this but i got the base model 2003 MDX for $35,200 (not including tax, tags and proceesing fee ($189). I feel that i got a good deal for it. I'm sure in a few months when all of the other SUVS (Volkwagan, Nissan, Lexus, Lincoln.., etc) come out, the price will drop even further. Also I did order a Wood shift knob and a fullsize bra from hondacuraworld.com. The MDX drives extremely nice and I am able to fit in it comfortably since I am 6' 6" with a 38" inseam. The engine give good acceleration in the lower RPMS. Although I think I may change the 17" goodyear tires to a larger 18" michelins. I think the cornering will improve with larger tires. Overall impression (at this time I only have 170 miles) I am very pleased with this vehicle. I've researched getting an SUV for two years now, and each time I ame back to Acura. I plan to keep this vehicle for some time barring any incident, since it is my first SUV. Can't wait until it starts snowing to really test it out. I also purchased an auto portable DVD player from Best Buy. They gave me a good deal for 24 months interest free financing. My kids will love this.

Also does anyone know where i can get the clear film headlight protectors?
  • Options
    I am noticing that hondacuraworld.com has a better price than acuradriver.com.
  • Options
    lewis3lewis3 Member Posts: 25
    That is a great deal. Nobody in Colorado seems to be selling for less than MSRP. I just picked up my 2003 base MDX and paid sticker although I did get the cargo cover thrown in for free. I absolutely love the car. I use to have a 99 TL and this car is smoother,faster and quieter.
  • Options
    dsippindsippin Member Posts: 1
    We started recently having trouble with the HVAC system in our 2001 MDX. The automatic temperature sensor is erratic and we have to constantly keep fiddling with the temperature setting. This has also caused a problem with the rear unit as well. When the temperature is set down to 63 degrees, it is still too hot and when set at 61, it blows frigid air. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Time to bring it back to the dealer. Other than this, our MDX has been the best vehicle we have ever owned. It is a perfect blend of luxury car and SUV and just a pleasure to drive.
  • Options
    Sometimes the sensor position moves, either too close to the engine or radiator or something? I haven't heard of any specific issues with the MDX, but I have heard similar things for other vehicles.

It is probably something simple. At worst they just have to replace the thermometer? Keep us posted.
  • Options
    kai_mingkai_ming Member Posts: 33
    I am sorry that we asked you to say something that
    you shouldn't. I do appreciate the price infomation.

I think you made a good decision. I have looked at XC90 recently and will stick to buying a MDX.
  • Options
    Has anyone installed any latch seats in their MDX? Any that fit better than others? Latch seats are new and they seem hard to find.
  • Options
    I went to Babies R US and found a number of child seats with the latch system. I don't remember my model but the system works great in the MDX. The hooks are easier to reach than in other cars. My wife's car is an Infiniti I30 and the latch system in her car is difficult to find and attach. The only problem is that the Latch anchors are only in the outboard seating positions.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Are you looking for a specifically-sized seat? E.g. infant, convertible, forward-facing only, etc?

Britax probably makes the best convertible and forward-facing seats out there. Expensive but worth it IMHO. They uses features like EPS foam (same as in bike helmets) to protect the back and sides of the child's head with their convertible seats. There is a LATCH version of the ubiquitous Roundabout now available.

The new Britax Marathon, which is sold at Babies'R'Us, is essentially a big Roundabout that goes to 65 lbs instead of 40 lbs (though a child is more likely to outgrow it in height rather than weight). Beware that mounting it rear-facing will take up more room than a Roundabout, though. The Marathon also supports LATCH, but since LATCH has a weight limit, Britax recommends belt installation past 48 lbs. Not Britax's fault, just that LATCH came out before these newer seats that permit 5-point harnesses to well beyond 40 lbs.
  • Options
    The only problem is that the Latch anchors are only in the outboard seating positions.

See NHTSA's FAQ on LATCH

VEHICLE-RELATED QUESTIONS:

5Q. Why aren't LATCH lower anchors provided for the rear center seat?

A. Two pairs of LATCH lower anchors are required in the back seat of vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2002, and those anchors are required to be a specified distance apart for safety protection in a crash. Because of this required spacing between the lower anchorages, most vehicles do not have a rear seat that is wide enough to accommodate anchorages in the center seating position and in an adjacent outboard position. While lower anchorages are typically installed at outboard seating positions, most vehicles that have a center rear seating position without lower anchors also provide a top tether for additional safety benefit.

6Q. Can I use the two inboard lower anchors (of the outboard LATCH seating positions) to install my child seat in the rear center seating position?

A. No, unless both the child restraint manufacturer's instructions and the vehicle owner's manual specifically state that this is acceptable. A child restraint can be installed using the rear-center seat belt and, if forward-facing, the top tether anchor.

• Options
    Someone on the Honda Pilot forum claims to have contacted Britax, and was told that using the inner anchors for the Roundabout LATCH version was okay as long as the distance wasn't more than 20" apart (I think it was 20" and not 21"). I think the Pilot was just about in there, perhaps a 1/4 inch too much, so I don't know if it still works or not. The MDX should be similar.

There was an article where the chef engineer at Honda (Paluch) said it was okay to use the inner LATCH anchors, though if someone plans to do this they should contact Acura client services to verify, as well as their seat manufacturer.

Doing this may prevent an outboard LATCH attachment, depending on the nature of the clips.
  • Options
    Thanks crikey for the latch info. I have always wondered why they did it that way.
  • Options
    I've only seen two photos of true MDX rollovers. In one of them, there was little roof crush. In another, the A-pillar was definitely pushed in.

Of course, this is not empirical evidence one way or another. There is NO test for roof crush resistance out there.

Acura claims there is some strengthening but they don't talk about it much.

I would think the XC90's roll cage is significantly stronger, but that's just my opinion. It could well be the strongest on the market, with the M-class in second place.
  • Options
    sebreezesebreeze Member Posts: 1
    I've never seen any comments on the roll over protection on the MDX. Does any one know if the structural integrity of the roof can support the car on a roll over? I know my ML can but I have never seen Acura make any statements protecting passengers from the roll over and roof strength. Trying to decide between a few cars and I don't want the old Ford Explorer poor structure. The Acura has very good crash results but there is never any mention of the worst case scenario crash.
  • Options
    Acura has never made a statement that the roof will or will not support the structure of the vehicle, as far as I know.
  • Options
    buckeye12buckeye12 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying an MDX. The "recommended" fuel is 91 octane. With most gas stations having a choice of 89 or 93 octane, how critical is that recommendation? Not trying to sound cheap here, but just seeing if the additional price per gallon is an issue that would have have to be considered one way or the other.
  • Options
    hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    The recommanded fuel is 91 octane, which is usually super unleaded at most gas station. The MDX has a knock sensor build into its computerized engine management system, therefore, it will run on 87 octane as well. The Acura salesman told me that the performance of the engine will decrease with 87 octane but otherwise it should not do any harm to the engine in the long run.
  • Options
    mike3939mike3939 Member Posts: 5
    I am interesting in buying either a 2002 or 2003 MDX. A friend of mine, who never has driven one, told me he "heard" that, over long trips, the driver's and passenger seats weren't very comfortable. Because a test drive will never accurately show what to expect on a 300- or 600-mile trip, I was wondering if some of you long-time MDX drivers could help me out. Unquestionably comfy? Not bad? Not good? Somewhere in between? Thanks!
  • Options
    See the XC90 vs. MDX topic for an ongoing discussion of seat comfort.

It is an individual thing and therefore what others say may not apply to you. The longest I have been in my MDX driver's seat is six hours (non-stop). No complaints. However, I find the seat back for the driver does not go vertical enough and the lumbar adjustment ineffective. Keep in mind, having lots of wiggle room in the MDX helps a lot during long rides. I'm wider than average and being able to shift my position significantly may be the reason I find the MDX seats quite comfortable.

I have yet to get a comfort complaint from anyone in the middle row either (also six hours non-stop). But I have received comments of how comfortable it was. So far, high schoolers that have used the third row have not complained either, but they were only back there for short rides
  • Options
    I did 2 9 hours days in our MDX without any problems. Seats aren't the best, but they are good. The biggest problem is where the drivers left foot sits. I find on long drives it helps to stretch my leg and have my foot somewhat under the brake pedal. If you sit in the drivers seat you will feel that the spot with the rubber mat, the default position is closer than just to the right next to/sort of under the brake pedal.

Anyway, I think the seats are decent, and I liked the seat warmer during a few long drives.
  • Options
    How did you squeeze 29 hours into your days? :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Obviously he was driving from the East Coast to California....

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.