Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pull the fuse for starters and hope that resets it.

More tips in the How to Remove a Stuck CD guide.
  • Options
    dmitrycdmitryc Member Posts: 6
    Well, I decided to smack the side of the panel close to the CD changer and BAM! both CDs came out! A little aggressive, but worked. Just wanted to share. :surprise:
  • Options
    Smacking the dash is actually one of the tips in the guide. It's worked for at least one other poster around here. :D
  • Options
    richhank61richhank61 Member Posts: 1
    replaced the head on the4ze1.got head off a 91 amigo.as far as i could tell(my info coming from trooper and amigo repair manuals) it should work,cam and all.i put my distributer on the head because of the 3prong(89) and 4prong(91)plug,just swapped the mounting bracket.but i'm not having any luck.lined up tdc marks put rotor on #1,wires to order(1342).........backfires.put wires to 1234 order it cranks but dies after couple of secs..pretty sure all vacuum and air lines are right and i've hunted leaks with w-d.i've replaced fuel,coil,ignition relays,airflow sensor, fast idle switch,all vacuum lines,and fuel pump. i'm lost i would very much appreciate any suggestions.
  • Options
    atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    I'm not too familiar with 4 cyl engines, but the guys at www.planetisuzoo.com sure are. I know that cyl. head problems are common due to poor quality castings, and that there are lots of posts talking about exactly what you are asking about. Look in the drivetrain problems forum. HTH
  • Options
    matausmataus Member Posts: 43
    About 3 months ago, I replaced the clutch on my Trooper. The replacement went well, and there were no problems. Just recently, I started to use my Four wheel drive and noticed a rattling sound from my transfer case. The rattling only happens when I am in 4 high when I'm running at a hire speeds. 4 low seems to work with no rattling sounds.

I did go ahead and check my oil in the transfer case. I did notice it was low, so I filled it up to the appropriate level. Looking at the old oil, I noticed there were no shavings of metal or such. When I replaced the oil, the rattling noise still occurd. at hire speeds. One other thing I did notice is that when I turn my wheels to the right or left, my Troopers seems to want to stop a little. Almost like I'm pushing on the brake a little. This only happens when I am going about 5 to 10 miles per hour.

If there is anyone who can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tracy
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I don't know about the rattling, but the behavior you experience while turning is common if you're using 4wd on hard surfaces. It's called driveline bind, and it's the reason you should not use 4wd unless you are on surfaces that lack some traction. While turning, the front and rear axles trace differing size arcs, and the transfer case has no differential to account for these arcs. Thus, something has to slip or the driveline will bind. If you are using 4wd on pavement, don't.

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    josephpobrienjosephpobrien Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Can some one recommend to me a diagnostic program for a 2003 Isuzu Trooper, 3.0d. I am having a few problems with the engine spluttering and cutting out when cold. Also when I am descending a steep hill or braking hard it splutters and sometimes cuts out also. I think if I could capture the live sensor data it will be possible to sort out the problem. I have access to a laptop so I can either obtain a unit or use an interface cable and software on the laptop. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.
  • Options
    matausmataus Member Posts: 43
    3 months ago, I replaced the clutch on my Trooper. The replacement went well, and there were no problems. Just recently, I started to use my Four wheel drive and noticed a rattling sound from my transfer case. The rattling only happens when I am in 4 high when I'm running at a hire speeds. 4 low seems to work with no rattling sounds.

I did go ahead and check my oil in the transfer case. I did notice it was low, so I filled it up to the appropriate level. Looking at the old oil, I noticed there were no shavings of metal or such. When I replaced the oil, the rattling noise still occurd. at hire speeds. Is there any kind of adjustments that can be done to correct this problem? Before I dropped the tranny to replace the clutch, my 4 hi worked just fine with no rattling. Could something have happened when I put the tranny back in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... :confuse:

Tracy
  • Options
    Goalie69Goalie69 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 Isuzu Trooper, and when winter hits, my mpg seems drops from 15 to 13 mpg. Does this seem normal? And, it's not much better on the highway. I also had one of Isuzu's reommended comprehensive tune-ups last year at around 50,000, and put on a new set of tires, and that did nothing to improve the mpg.

Any ideas on how to improve the efficiency in the winter?

Thanks
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Around Memphis I have noticed a drop of 1-2 MPH (real or imagined) when gas changed from Summer to Winter blend. Around here there was something added to make it burn cleaner...I'm thinking ethanol was added after the old (mtb?) was banned because it was harmful to the environment..

But now we have ethanol in our gas yearround causing that drop. Might want to make sure your tire pressure is around 35 psi or so.

BTW, I have a 2000 Trooper LS...my maximum mileage has been about 18.5 average is probably more like 17-17.5. Mixed light city and hwy. It would be difficult to get much better mileage than that IMHO unless you were on a flat road with no stops driving about 55 MPH.

I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook in August. Still driving the Trooper quite a bit to keep the miles down on the new one. It has a DIC with average mileage calculated. When I reset that reading, I can see how much drop there is in MPG just pulling up to a stop sign/light and then getting back up to speed. Also, a couple of minute warm-up idle will drop it pretty quick. (Remote start is great :-) but not very effecient :-( )
  • Options
    loloBH92loloBH92 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, i need a power window diagram(driver side and passenger side) of a 1997 isuzu trooper. i am upgrading my 1992 trooper power window switches and i dont know which wire goes to each color. Any help will be highly appreciated.Thanks
  • Options
    emailaakemailaak Member Posts: 1
    bsmart1, did you get Aisins hubs for your 99 Trooper.
    I have a 2000 Trooper and also thinking of putting manual locking hubs.
  • Options
    tbattagliatbattaglia Member Posts: 2
    I have a '96 Trooper LS with the 3.2 liter gas engine. I am located in the Pacific Northwest near Tamarindo Costa Rica. I purchased this trooper in San Jose Costa Rica 6 years ago. The "freeze plugs finally rotted and pumped all the coolant out of the block. This overheated the engine, causing the heads to warp. I think it is time for a new mechanic and engine. The engine has almost 250,000 miles. Any one know a reliable mechanic and a place to purchase a "new" 3.2? I was also considering changing to a diesel motor, any ideas?
  • Options
    gene8422gene8422 Member Posts: 1
    Installed rebuilt short block and timing belt in my 2000 3.5L trooper and all came out great and motor ran smooth and quite and about 300 miles later I pulled my single axle trailer and lifter type noise starter and I have tried the following things. change the timing belt tensioner no help. sense noise on right side I changed lifters on rt. side and checked cam load springs and reset them and reinstalled no help. The oil pump was changed with short block and motor holding 80# above 2k and 40 idling. any suggestions before I start over?
  • Options
    So you did not change the lifters at the time you changed the block.....I suppose that would explain some of the valve noise, but I don't see how pulling a trailer would make a difference. Your oil pressure sounds real good, so I don't think it is oil pump or worn bearing surfaces, especially since the block is new. Since you also changed the tensioner, I would suspect lifters that haven't been changed???
    One guys opinion. HTH
  • Options
    renet10renet10 Member Posts: 13
    Invested in a chilton interactive cd rom and it stated that turn signal and cruise control column switches are relative to each other. I noticed when I purchased my trooper that the cruise control column switch was loose and now even looser. But the real problem is the low/high beam headlights. Now when I use the turn signal switch the lights go off and on. the high beams don't click back in position and when I hold the lever back to keep the headlights on its only high beams. When I let go the low beams will stay on for a while or until I go down a real bumpy road. Could this be from the cruise control column switch becoming so loose? i was going to buy a turn signal column switch but could the cruise control column switch be the real culprit? :confuse: do they keep each other in place inside the column box? I just want to be informed when I go to the mechanic since these are expensive parts and the steering column has to come off to fix it. ;) By the way i love my trooper and would drive daylight only before I'd get rid of it. :shades:
  • Options
    nytroopernytrooper Member Posts: 14
    Since my last posts in Summer of 2006, mileage has almost doubled from 135K to 265K, and now I'm an NHtrooper. Few more bruises and wear and tear, but still running strong with 16-19mpg. Timing belt blew around 190K, first garage in NH wanted to replace my engine, found a local AAMCO who offered to check it for free, drove away a couple days later for $475, been my shop ever since. Anyway, she's had a slight squeal that I've been ignoring, thinking PS belt, but all of a sudden I get the couple idiots, my voltage meter pegged, and little power, all while trying to get through 15" of fresh snow. Issue was sporadic and intensifying. Leaning towards an alternator problem, but found the positive terminal quite corroded, cleaned it up, hoping it hasn't traveled too far down the cable. Seems to be better and will try to make the 25 miles to my shop tomorrow. Am I on the right course, or should I be l looking in another direction, as well ?
  • Options
    nytroopernytrooper Member Posts: 14
    Didn't get too far, will need a flatbed in the AM. The ABS and battery lights still pop up intermittently, but more of a concern is the lack of power in Drive, 3, and 2. Reverse, low, and neutral still function OK. Is this a tranny issue or bizarre connected electrical problem ? I've consistently serviced the tranny without any hint of problem earlier, just seems like they're related. Thanks for your consideration.
  • Options
    bsmart2bsmart2 Member Posts: 15
    Actually NO....I decided against spending the money for this particular mod. so I can't help you with an answer on this one.
  • Options
    bsmart2bsmart2 Member Posts: 15
    Good ole' Ethanol.......the most recent spoof our gov't has imposed on us to go 'green' in USA. Wastes fuel, consumes food products, cost more to produce than it provides back.......what a WINNER !!!

Anyone replaced their O2 sensors and seen any mpg improvement as a result ??
  • Options
    egyptgerryegyptgerry Member Posts: 22
    Why do you Guys buy gas guzzling troopers,I am on my second 3.1td the first one is a 1995and has just over 500,000 miles on him,you cant kill one of these.I have only changed the shockers,timing belt a few times,the steering idler arm,and trackrods,as they tend to wander a little also had the fuel tank out and had it reseamed as they do weep a little after all that time,The old Boy is now in Spain and drove from the Uk without a hitch,Ethanol/we dont use that in the Uk,we prefer to look at trees not burn them as a adatives
  • Options
    rllycw7rllycw7 Member Posts: 1
    I am having some problems with my Trooper. It will run for a couple of miles then the engine light comes on and the vehicle completely stops. If I sit for like 5 minutes and try and start it again it runs for a couple of miles and then stops again. This just started yesterday afternoon. Can someone help me try to diagnose this problem?

Thanks,
  • Options
    ElvisgraceElvisgrace Member Posts: 2
    Need Help! I have a 2001 Trooper S, 3.5, auto, TODD, 80,000 miles. My problem is non functioning cabin heating/cooling fan. This model had the auto thermostat feature. The coil is heating. Any suggestions? My nearest dealer is 100 miles. Thanks.
  • Options
    Assuming you checked the fuses, it sounds like your alternator may have quit. Are you getting idiot lights on the dash too, some will not even be related to the alternator or battery.
    The engineers designed the electrical system to provide power only to necessary functions (like keeping the engine running) when the alternator quits, so the HVAC blower is off if no output from alternator. Good place to start...........check if battery is being charged with a VOM meter at least at 13.6 volts with engine running. If not, new alt is probably needed. Engine will quit when voltage drops to 9 or so volts.

HTH One guys opinion.
  • Options
    ElvisgraceElvisgrace Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. New spin to my HVAC blower problem, the fan will run for awhile and then quit. The fuses checked out fine. Last month the starter quit, and the battery (84 month battery died on month 26).
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    You're polluting the environment with that 90s diesel plus we haven't had that option anyway. And what we burn is corn, not trees :) If we did this more efficiently (burn the entire plant) there wouldn't be so much waste and could become self-sufficient as a nation. It's a mess now but hopefully one day (Brazil did it)...

P.S. Any good (and easy) roof rack options for a 2002 Trooper out there? Are Thule or Yakima solutions ok?
  • Options
    Yes the thule roof rack is great,i have 1 on my Isuzu trooper,very clever way of fitting them,
  • Options
    Which one do you think would work better? 400XTR Rapid Aero or 400xt Aero Foot?
  • Options
    shaggyllamashaggyllama Member Posts: 3
    I have just retrieved my 1989 irmscher trooper out of a six year hibernation and wanted to say thank you as i have scanned this forum for nearly all of the info i needed to get it tested and taxed here in the UK.i have moth balled my cherokee due to the spiralling costs of diesel and insurance and tax and am now driving about with a smile and a much healthier wallet!..... :shades:
  • Options
    That's fun (not the part about the spiraling costs of diesel). Maybe you can post some pics of it on your CarSpace page?
  • Options
    Glad to hear that the old girl passed here Mot and is up and about,Well you cant keep a good trooper down.mine has just clicked over to 400.000 and is going as well as ever.
  • Options
    I will post some images as soon as i work out how this site works..i did replace the engine at 258.000 miles and found a 2.8Di with only 43.000 miles on it, so many miles ahead! and as i imported it from japan there is no rust (which due to the amount of salt on the road in the UK is a problem on most older [non-permissible content removed] vehicles sold here..The problem is finding some sidesteps as my elderley mother just cant get up into it..As far as costs go, fully comp insurance was £168. as opposed to over £450 for the cherokee..and even though it is a larger unit it returns a much better fuel economy...I am SO glad i have my Isuzu back and thankful that this site and its contributors are so knowledgble and helpful....(if there is an easy way to post pics...let me know... :shades:
  • Options
    I also want to express some love for my 2002 LS :-) (that standard Trooper pic on edmunds looks just like my satin gold truck I've had since new...) I did some towing the other day (12 ' 2000 lbs. UHaul trailer) to Florida and back (over 1000 miles in a couple of days) and it did great. The mileage was 15 MPG but what can you do...

I have 45K miles on it, new battery, new tires, new HD radio unit (the best thing ever!) and no issues other than a cruise control that is unreliable. Has anyone else experienced it? Like not being able to set it in the first place or dropping out of it completely when adjusting speed increments?
  • Options
    Pic posting instructions are in the Help file below. Parking them in your CarSpace album may be about as easy as anything.
  • Options
    bean11875bean11875 Member Posts: 1
    whats up where is the knock sensor on my 1996 isuzu trooper? I need to know where it is located because I am having the same problem. Thanks ..... talk to you soon

Chris
  • Options
    Knock sensor is located in valley underneath the intake manifolds. It has a single wire connector on it. I am referring to the 3.2 engine. You might want to check www.myisuzuparts.com for the specific year since I seem to recall that some engine versions do not have a knock sensor. I just can't remember which? LOL
    It is tough to get to, and the connector is very brittle by now and will crack, chip or disintegrate depending on how you treat it. Have you checked for codes? I sure would before diving in to this one. Remember that even if the CEL is not on, some codes may be stored. HTH One guys opinion.
  • Options
    ms_jetsetms_jetset Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to help my Dad out. He has a "91" Trooper and it sounds like to me that he needs a new exhaust gasket. Does anyone have a diagram to the exhaust, its a 6 cylinder?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Isuzu has a website that is free and shows the components for Isuzus marketed in the US. It is www.myisuzuparts.com Once you enter your vehicle info, you can look at the various illustrations and part no.s hope this helps
  • Options
    ms_jetsetms_jetset Member Posts: 6
    Mike,

Thank you for the reply! I guess I just have to get in there and do an alimination process. But yea, this will me neat to show my Dad. May come in handy one day.
    Thanks a million!

ms_jetset :)
  • Options
    gofigure28gofigure28 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem with my drivers window. The clips had broken sometime last summer, and until recently the window had worked sufficiently with a couple of little metal plates I attached in lieu of the clips.

I was wondering how well the 'universal' clips you got a hold of held up and if its worth me finding a auto glass place that carries them.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Not sure what clips you refer to, but on ebay if yousearch under isuzu window or similar, there is a vendor that has the plastic clips that attach by way of adhesive tape to the window. I don't think they are OEM, but they are the only ones I have seen. I made my own out of pieces of nylon block, but that was a PITA! These are not cheap, but you cannot get new clips unless you buy the entire window! HTH
  • Options
    ceballceball Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper with 3.5L engine. It has a 2002 engine with 109,000 miles on the engine and 199,000 miles on the body. The engine was running fine until I had the timing belt and water pump replaced. It now runs rough with no power. I removed the NGK plugs for the driver's side of the engine and they looked fine and clean. However when I removed a plug from the first & second cylinders on the passenger side, the ends of both plugs were black with soot and looked like they never fired. I started the engine and removed a coil pack from the driver's side of the engine and there was a noticeable difference (the number of cylinders operating was reduced) , however when I remove a coil pack from the passenger side, there was no change in the engine.
    Has anyone experience anything like this?
  • Options
    Hopefully i uploaded it correctly, and is, i believe on my profile bit...Isuzu irmscher 2.8 Di turbo (trooper)..probably the most fun vehicle i have ever owned....the cherokee lse has remained in the garage since i rejuvenated my old faithful...thanks for all the advice folks! :shades:
  • Options
    isu2isu2 Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2001 Trooper, 3.5 4wd. While sevicing the transmission, i noticed a large round metal weight about 7 inches in diameter on one of the crossbeams under the car. it does not appear to serve any purpose and is not in the service manual. any idea what it is for. bolted to the cross beam on passenger (right) side, it is not for a coil spring nor have any wires attached.
  • Options
    Well, the thumbnail works fine but the main photo isn't loading right. Maybe you could try uploading it again (unless others can see it ok and it's just me?).
  • Options
    Nope, thumbnail works, but album size does not. Still, it is obviously a nice ride!
  • Options
    redshanksredshanks Member Posts: 1
    I feel like I'm the newbie at the Troopers Anonymous meeting..."I'm Redshanks and I bought a 1995 Trooper".

I currently have a 2000 Ford F-150 Supercab Longbed 4x2 that has major issues with it's ABS module under the hood- it keeps running with off. And until I can get it fixed, it's not a viable form of transportation. Besides, my wife hates it as I never took her to look at vehicles when I bought it- and as she's in a wheelchair, she cannot get into it easily. As well as it being a gashog.

So, being unemployed (except for a 24 hours/week part-time gig) sucks. I was able to acquire this vehicle for $1800 cash.

V6, 5 speed, A/C, AM/FM/Cassette, manual windows, fairly new Michelin SUV tires- 175xxx miles and straight body! Only a few minor paint dings on the nose of the hood and a crack in the windshield that's not very noticable. Interior upholstery is a bit dusty and needs cleaning, but no rips, tears or damage! Both airbags intact and never used.

It rides nice, shifts smartly (in spite of my not driving a stick in 25 years!) and only had a few cobwebs- seems it was donated to the Salavtion Army, and the dealer got it there. And based on the numerous positive reviews on the Trooper on Edmundns.com and other sites, I felt it would be a good choice- as the passenger seat is basically the same height as my father-in-law's 93 Ford POS Explorer that my wife CAN get into- but with better leg room in the Trooper. And easy to load her wheelchair or her powerchair in the back!

The only mechanical issue is a leak in the power steering pressue switch- one inspector failed it, another didn't as he considered it a non-issue. (Put some Lucas StopLeak PS fluid in it...)

I know it does not get the greatest gas mileage, but so far on the first tank, it's about 15 - far better than the 12 the F150 gets.

I have posted pics in Redshank's album.
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Obviously, the timing belt is improperly installed. Whoever did it needs to take it apart and redo it correctly. I did it myself and it's not easy, but thiere is a procedure to do it correctly on one of the other Isuzu sites.

Tom
  • Options
    4whldave4whldave Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought an 84' Trooper for a steal $1000. It ran perfect when I bought it but started running rough and missing after a month of having it. It has the G200 1.9L motor. It acts as if it is starving for fuel and missing badly. No power at all. Here is the list of things that I have done. Ignition, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter and messed with various vacuum lines that were not on. Plugs look as if it is running lean (white and powder look). I am lost and getting aggrivated quickly, any help would be greatly appreciated.