Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Remember, the 05 is a new model year. Also remember Jeep's history with the Grand and new model years... :)

I've test driven them (at Camp Jeep) and flogged it in acceleration, braking, and handling. The ESP is a nice piece of equipment in keeping the Grand VERY stable. Acceleration was nice with the hemi and the brakes were VERY responsive (the ABS pulsation is much more subdued that the WJ models it replaces).

-Paul
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    back in July, I was severely disappointed in how UNSTABLE the JGC was at 70 mph on the freeway with no wind...when someone test drives the new 05, please write about its stability at high speed on the freeway, say 60-85 mph...if it is still buffeted back and forth as the 04, it would surely be a waste of engineering time and money...I found it difficult to maintain lanes, and a hot July day in Georgia has no wind, I would hate to fight a winter wind with the 04...
  • Options
    When I drove the 05 at Camp Jeep, the stability was WAY improved over my 2000. There are sensors that control lean and such, but I'm honestly not sure if it helps with wind also, or just cornering. I work in the Mojave desert in CA where the normal daily winds are around 20+ mph (great for flight testing, bad for stable driving).

-Paul
  • Options
    rockymtn04rockymtn04 Member Posts: 3
    PURCHASED THE 04 JGC ROCKY MTN EDITION......
    PLASTIC HERE PLASTIC THERE PLASTIC PLASTIC EVERY WHERE..........CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP........UNCOMFORTABLE......A $33,0000 JUNK. DC/JEEP NEEDS TO GET IT TOGETHER....OR FACE FEWER SALES. USA MANUFACTURS MUST PUT CONSUMERS FIRST......WE DO NOT WANT JUNK.....GET IT!
  • Options
    tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    I've driven a GC Limited for well over 3 years now and have never noticed anything near what you describe as far as instability goes. I've been through mountain passes with heavy cross winds and on open roads at 115mph+, rides like a dream.

The new '05 has a wider and longer wheelbase as well as an all-new front and rear suspension. The new Dynamic Handling System option will reduce body roll and sway to just about "0". I have also driven an '05, the ride comfort is amazing, the Hemi power awesome and too many other improvements to count. A great job by Jeep.
  • Options
    dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    I experienced the same sensation (lateral body sway)after driving a high end sedan for 6 years and then driving my '02 Overland. I did not expect the same ride from the Jeep but the side to side swaying was enough to take notice. I never had an issue with stability. With that said, I've since raised the Jeep 4" and installed larger tires. The lateral movement is a bit more pronounced at higher speeds (70+) and still not unstable. I've driven my Jeep 97K miles now and consider it to be the best vehicle I've ever owned.
  • Options
    Didn't you test drive it before you bought it or did you buy it sight unseen? If you don't like all the plastic, why'd you buy it?

As for plastic, most manufacturers use plastic everywhere, it is definitely not just a jeep thing. Nissan, Honda, Toyota, GM, BMW... all use a LOT of plastic in their interiors. I will grant you that there can be differences in plastic quality, but it is everywhere. Maybe you should have stuck with your 02 Explorer...

Also, you may want to turn your caps lock off. I seriously doubt people want to read you screaming.

-Paul
  • Options
    sambrownsambrown Member Posts: 5
    which is more reliable for the GC? mpg seems to be a toss up..
  • Options
    with the V8 reliability. But the inline 6 is nearly bulletproof as well. I believe it is the same engine that is used in the Wrangler. I personally would go for the V8, given the weight of the GC.

-Paul
  • Options
    which is more reliable for the GC? mpg seems to be a toss up..
  • Options
    I think i will go for the V8, the performance was much quicker and I do extensive highway driving.. It's only a 600.00 option with the factory credit available.. Thanks
  • Options
    gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    This description sounds like our experience with a leased 1995 JGC. It was a total piece of junk. Thanks to Jeep / Chrysler, we now own Honda vehicles. The quality of a Jeep vehicle is VERY poor, and in addition, the dealers cannot trouble shoot the problems. Owning and / or leasing a Jeep is a total negative experience. they look great, and they ride well, but they lack component quality.
  • Options
    a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 1997 Wranger. I have found a few issues that were persistent (tranny leaks). But once they identified the problem (bad seal) and had new designs, I haven't had a problem since. My Wrangler had a known issue with the exhaust, but other than that, it has been great.

Jeeps are actually quite easy to work on yourself, if you have some tools, a good manual, and a desire to DIY. I do all my Wrangler work and as much on the Grand as I can (short of electrical/computer).

My owning of a Jeep vehicle has been an excellent experience overall, despite the problems. My Honda Civic had some issues as well. No car is going to 100% perfect, even Hondas (or Acuras, or Toyotas, etc). Just look at the problem forums on here if you question this. Did you get a lemon off the line? Perhaps.

You did say, "The quality of a Jeep vehicle is VERY poor." For the one you had, that seems to be the case. For me, the quality of our Jeep has been excellent (once they redesigned a seal). Our Grand now has 98,000 miles on it, and with proper maintenance I see it lasting many more miles. As for the dealer service department, I feel that way about any dealer service (Jeep, Honda, BMW, etc). That is why I have educated myself about my cars and how to troubleshoot. When/if I have to take it in, I have already narrowed down where the problems are and what the symptoms are. Service departments appreciate my efforts and as a result, have been able to fix my problems quickly.

As for componentry, I have modded my Wrangler and replaced some parts of it. That is the beauty of Jeeps. The aftermarket is SO very full of stuff for them (much like Hondas and Toyotas). If there is an aspect of a Jeep you don't like, chances are, there are aftermarket vendors just waiting to hear from you to help you replace it. Granted, on a lease that is tougher to do, but it is there. The ONLY thing I want to replace on my Grand is the sway bar to make it a bit stiffer in the corners (lots of windy mountain roads). Addco sells 1" solid sway bar kits for front and rear and can be swapped out easily in an afternoon.

I loved my Honda Civic, but it beat me up on long drives over 1.5 hours. Hondas are good cars, but like I mentioned earlier, have problems. I could consider the noisiness of my Civic a design problem and say that Hondas are junk because they are poorly designed and have no sound protection. Is that fair? No, because Accords, Pilots, and their high end Acuras are generally extremely quiet.

-Paul
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Are the new '05 GCs available at local Jeep dealers now? I've been wanting to get my hands on one for a test spin...
  • Options
    I haven't seen them at the dealerships yet, but I can't say I've been looking. I did my drives at Camp Jeep.

I would think they are coming soon, so keep your eyes open. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I own a 99 JGC and now have a brand new 4runner. Although I still really like my jeep and haven't had too many problems with it, I am really glad to have the 4runner. I probably won't get any more jeeps after this. Can't say I didn't try.
  • Options
    bwadebwade Member Posts: 1
    Yes.. the new 05 Grand Cherokee has arrived. Yesterday, I stopped by O'Neal Chrysler Plymouth Jeep in Raleigh, NC... they just in the last week took delivery of an 05 Limited... Navy blue w/ all the options... Nav, DVD, Rear Assist, Hemi, UConnect, Sirius Sat Radio, etc. etc. I test drove it.. quite a ride...

They expect 3 more within the week.

The new 05 handles far better than the 04... not to mention the tremendous power of the 5.7 Hemi... a little dissapointed with the outside styling, but the inside styling, with all of the bells and whistles is quite impressive... the room inside was noticibly improved.... although the windshield slopes forward a little dramatically. Great suspension, great power, great inside finishing, great options,.... but a little plain outside...
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I just looked at one the other night. Nice job. The dash is much better than what is in Explorer. The seats are much more comfortable too. I don't get the black door handles/body side molding in Lorado version. The black cheapens the look. the other thing I did not like was the low 4WD HANDLE. Why not make a simple botton on the dash instaed of chrome pull knob. It appears complicated for simple function. There is not a whole lot of room behind the second row seat.

I am deciding between V-8 Explorer XLT sport or GC Lorado V8 both with sunroof. You can get Explorer for about $25,500 (list $35400) . The list for GC is $32,700. I think I wait a few months until Chrysler rolls out their rebates.

Everything equal, I will probably get a GC since it has better dash, better seats, and its unibody should have smoother ride.
  • Options
    jjv55jjv55 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2002 JGC Limited. I'm looking to get some new tires. I think the standards are Michelin Cross Terrains, but I've heard that the Toyo M410s are very good as well (they also test well in Consumer Reports). Any personal experiences out there? Recomendations?? Thanks!
  • Options
    Dueler AT Revo's and love their on road handling (and they are quiet). I have BFG AT's on my Wrangler. We originally had the Wrangler AT's on our 2000 GCL and got decent miles from them. The Dueler's we have had great luck with and they handled the limited snow and dirt and mud with no problems.

-Paul
  • Options
    dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    I bought BFG 265/70/17's for my '02 Overland. They have about 20K miles on them now with little wear. They're a bit noiser than the stock tires but seem to be wearing better.

Dave
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Sat in one yesterday a a dealer.

Sorry, I just can't get excited over this new GC. A real disappointment now is, if you order the 3.7 V6, you can't get a 2-speed transfer case!!! It has a high-only AWD mode. 2-speed transfer cases are only available in V8 models now. And this is supposed to be a Jeep???

Bob
  • Options
    bjoyebjoye Member Posts: 35
    We leased a '99 GJC Laredo new and turned it in at lease end 3 years later. I know it had at least 3 major warranty repairs in that time, I think the water pump and transmission both had problems. But we really liked it otherwise, meaning it drove and handled well.

Since then, we've owned a BMW X5 (awesome driving machine, but not at all soft and comfortable), and now have a Lexus GX470 (one of the most comfortable vehicles I've driven). It's time to give the X5 back, and I caught the first drive article on the new GJC.

Getting one would break all my rules: Never get a first year model (broke that one with the first Jeep), and never buy a Jeep again (after the last experience). But I'm trying to remain hopeful for it.

Anyone have thoughts on possible dependability and reliability now?

The other problem I have is safety ratings, JGC has finished WAY down in the rankings in years past, unacceptable if that doesn't change.
  • Options
    mjrkemjrke Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am considering buying a 1996 JGC 4WD I6(manufacture date 04/96) with around 90K miles from a friend. He has been pretty happy with the Jeep and never had to do anything except the regular maintenance.

I have read a lot of reviews here and get the feel that a lot of people are equally divided between those who love their JGC and those who hate it.

I have always liked the JGC but am just a little skeptical based on its reliability records.

It seems some year models have been absolutely trouble free while some have had lots of problems.

I would really appreciate if anyone could share their experience with this year model. Any tips, suggestions, things to look out for....will be really appreciated. I need to make a decision in the next 2 days.

According to MSN Auto an occasional problem on this vehicle (1996 JGC) is failure of the Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Viscous Coupling and failure of the Air Conditioning (A/C) Evaporator Core.

Thanks for all the help !!!!!!
  • Options
    peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    Im thinking of purchasing one soon. Since there are no formal tests out yet (car and driver etc) with acceleration stats, etc., has anyone driven one enough to provide driving impressions, both around town and the highway? I admit to being some what of a speed freak :) so acceleration etc is important to me. This SUV seems to offer the best balance..state of the art design and a hemi!
  • Options
    hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    I drove the limited yesterday with the normal V8, not the Hemi. Amazing ride compared to the old GC. If the Hemi feels like it does in the 300, it will be more than enough power.

The problem will be price. The V8 Limited was 41K. I can't imagine what the Hemi will cost. The dealer I was at (a large Jeep dealer) has not seen the Hemi yet.

Personally the V8 is plenty of power for a SUV. Not sure the Hemi is really worth it.

As far as general driving goes, it really rode well, almost car like. I noticed a little extra bounce on a couple of bumps, but I would rate the ride up there with the best SUVs. Steering is also noticeably improved.

They did a nice job overall.
  • Options
    hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    Follow-up to my follow-up! Car and Driver has a full review of the Hemi version. Just came out today.

They liked it overall, the one negative was a slightly bouncy ride (they must have read my review!)
  • Options
    deadwooddeadwood Member Posts: 8
    Had the opportunity to test drive the JGC and decided to wait for the Denali Envoy due out next spring.

The jeep was much quieter than my 03 but the steering was very stiff.
  • Options
    joejeepjoejeep Member Posts: 12
    I am looking at the 05 Jeep GC Ltds.
    Test drove Hemi today MSRP $40 - 42.

Nice Ride.. The manual shifter was a nice touch.
    Seats and leather were good... Could have carried better quality to dash and door panels.
    Overall Impressed with the vehicle.

Questions:

Hemi vs. 4.7 ... ?
    Quality of Shifter.... ?
    Quality of Nav System... ?
    How is Nav System compared to other vehicles... ?

Any thoughts or impressions appreciated...
  • Options
    joeporschejoeporsche Member Posts: 2
    I'll add to your questions....How wide is the new GC? 84.2 inches is wide....are there multiple ways to measure width or are these things 6 to 8 inches wider than other SUVs?
  • Options
    rsk551rsk551 Member Posts: 5
    Dealer is telling me Edmunds.com pricing is wrong. Edmunds.com Invoice Price is $31,115
    Dealer says $31,490. Who is correct? HELP!!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    fwiw, Kelley agrees with us.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't understand your abbrevations. Please spell out your answers for people who are not computer literate, thanks.
  • Options
    fwiw = for what it's worth....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    While Kelly does agree with you, the dealer printed out a copy of the vehicle we want to puchase that has columns titled Equipment, Description, MSRP and PWP. I suspect the PWP is their term for Invoice. On the dealers printed copy it shows the PWP as $31,490. Any suggestions as to how to handle the $375 difference between the dealers copy and Edmunds and Kelly's listed pricing? Also, the dealers copy also shows charges for Funds: PPA Invoice $160 and Customer One Owner Loyalty Mailing $25. Any suggestions how to not have to pay these added costs?
  • Options
    Ignore the line items and focus on your out the door cost. That way you'll be negotiating one big number instead of wasting time on a bunch of little ones, and you hopefully won't be surprised with any gotcha fees when you are ready to sign the papers.

I don't know what PWP means - Preliminary Wallet Pilfering or Phony Wheeler-dealer Pricing?

More in Out The Door (OTD) Pricing questions

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    The invoice was misread...it says FWP...Factory Wholesale Price. Fwiw...the real invoices always have the advertising charges that edmunds.com and other sources miss since the prices on the websites are considered 'national prices' while dealers have to pay regional costs as well.
  • Options
    Thanks - Edmunds doesn't try to track regional ad fees, although TMV accounts for it (link).

More in yet another discussion :-)

mirth "Advertising Fees" Oct 6, 2004 3:20pm

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Jeep Parking Only

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I watched the clip they have on Jeep's web site - definitely cute!
  • Options
    The width of the new Jeep is 73.3 inches, an inch wider than the previous model. Length is longer by 5" but that is due to bumpers and does not result in increased interior room. In fact, the cargo area is a bit smaller.

joejeep, the Nav system is reallly nice. Although not touch-screen it is extremely user friendly and the controls are nicely laid out. It has two slots so you can keep the Nav DVD loaded while loading up to 6 audio/MP3 CD's. The Nav is also nicely integrated into the Boston Acoustics sound system and will tie in with satellite radio and Blue-tooth phones.
  • Options
    joejeepjoejeep Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info...

You are correct the Nav seems pretty nice. I just got an 05 GC Ltd Hemi Nav etc... Nav is very user friendly and manual shifter is a great toy. A quick note on the Hemi's... They appear to be in a little demand at this time... A few dealers were not willing to negotiate on them.
  • Options
    How do you like it? What type of gas mileage are you getting?
  • Options
    hhunterhhunter Member Posts: 34
    I went from an '02 Overland to an '04 X5 4.4i this summer. About a month later, the first a several unexpected high medical bills came along so I am looking at the '05.

I haven't monitored this board for a while so did you get a response that compared the WK with the X5? I am primarily concerned about safety and ride which seems positive in this review: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- id=8685 although gas mileage sounds terrible.
  • Options
    arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Everywhere I look, the width is listed as ~84" (Edmunds and the Jeep website). Where are you getting it, tloke?

This matters because 84" is radically wide - too wide to comfortably park in many places.
  • Options
    73.3" is correct for the body width, the 84" figure is the maximum width measured at the outside of the sideview mirrors.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    My only compliant about a lot of reviews, is that they seems to always review the line model. Which is OK if there is only 1 engine choice ie. like the Pathfinder.

But I'm sure there is a world of difference between the 3.7 & the 5.8 Hemi!!!
  • Options
    kc177kc177 Member Posts: 6
    I just read the Edmund's Full Test JGC. Overall I think the review covered everything. However, it seemed the like reviewers were kind of going schizo. It's like they wanted it to be car-based but then went all off-road oriented and then only went partially there.

The comparison between it and the Nissan Pathfinder really shouldn't have even been made or at least Edmund's might have wanted to go further in the review. The 4WD systems of the two are worlds apart. The JGC's 4WD system in the model that was tested is WAY more advanced, and the engine choices OMG, you only get one (a V-6) in the Pathfinder. But that point wasn't even mentioned.

Now the Toyota 4 runner I definately would like to see a full comparison between those two.
  • Options
    oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    I couldn't agree with more. It seems that they were expecting some kind of tall wagon rather than an SUV that stays in line the the Jeep tradition. A sent the editor an email regarding fallacies of the review.
  • Options
    It's going to be interesting to see how well the new Grand Cherokee sells. I do agree with some of what the reviewers brought out - has Jeep compromised too much, creating a vehicle that is not quite a true off-roader and not quite good enough for a true on-roader?

I drove one at Camp Jeep this summer and loved it. In one way I hope that it doesn't sell well - perhaps they'll discount it enough that I'll be able to afford one...