Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Elevatorguy: I recently rented a 2005 Laredo with the V-6 engine. I'm a Hemi fan, but I must say that the power of the V-6 surprised me. It wasn't "tepid" as one car magazine put it. I averaged 18 mpg for the two days I had the Jeep.
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Thanks for the info Transpower. Anybody else out there have any mileage figures they can post?

Thanks
  • cesmdcesmd Member Posts: 2
    One of the parking light bulbs in my 2000 JGC headlight assembly has burned out. The dealer tried to remove the headlight assembly but could not. The jack screw comes out but the three pins behind the light are frozen in their sockets. The dealership said the only way to replace the bulb would be to break the whole headlight assembly. Does anyone have any suggestions or have had a similar experience? Thanks.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    I've never heard of one having to be broken out to be removed, although they can be very stubborn. The three pins are metal but fit into a plastic socket so it's not like they are rusted together. Throw on a pair of work gloves (to save the knuckles) and grasp the headlamp assembly in opposite diagonal corners. Rock it back and forth while pulling outward, aggressively, it will come out. You might also be able to pry at the top with a large flat blade screwdriver. Here's a link to a pic that shows the location of the 3 mounting sockets: http://www.wjjeeps.com/lamps/headlightrem3a.jpg
  • crwmlwcrwmlw Member Posts: 13
    Ok here's what I have. I have an '02 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the RB1 Navigation radio I put in last week. I have the newest DVD 05064033AC. Heres the problem, at slower speeds (residential) my location on the map is ALMOST dead on. At highway speeds I can be well past an exit by a few hundred feet but on the map on the screen it shows me coming up to the exit when Im already well past it. Seems to lag a bit. Also I know these units arent meant for real time but close. The map jumps rather than a smooth even flow. Is this normal? Am I expecting too much? Chuck
    The map should not "jump" around. I have an RB1 and is is incredibly accurate at any speed or location with no "jumping". I am not sure of what is causing your problem, what kind of reading are you getting for # of satellites on the info screen? Is the antenna installed correctly?
  • sthdsthd Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 GCL with high mileage. I want to get it running in as good a shape as possible and if anyone has any advice - like what kind of spark plugs have been found to work the best with the 4.7 or if there are any aftermarket parts that are a must. - it would be a big help
  • joshuakatzmanjoshuakatzman Member Posts: 1
    Can any 2005 JGC owners give me a realistic gas mileage figure for the 4.7L engine which comes as a standard option in the limited model? Thanks!
  • cherokeepatcherokeepat Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I cant seem to figure out how to reset the tune-up reminder in the center console for Grand Cherokee 1995 Limited (the console that also shows which 4X4 mode your on and which door are open, etc)

The manual states that I should press the select then the set button for a least 2 seconds during starting. Didn`t work.

I also tried pressing the 2 buttons before turning the ignition on, but the display goes into a diagnostic mode.

I also tried going into the setup menu, and change the interval between tune-up, that didn`t reset the reminder neither.

I find that feature very useful, and would apreciate any help...

Pat
  • meijidemeijide Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 grand cherokee 4,7L. The problem is that is everithing ok with the truck, but sometimes (i dont know wy) the instrument panel deads, all the ligths switch on (the check engine, the alarm theef, check gauges, the tacometer and speddometer dies...everithings go wrong. The switches of the doors doesn t work...)The only thing that i see with the DRB III is that the bat iod voltage (on the BCM) goes from 13,80 to 17,55. When the voltage comes to 17,55, is in this moment when the instrument panel goes crazy. The cherokee still working, but the doors and the panel not.
    If i disconnect the alternator there is no problem, the BCM works perfectly, but my battery dies...
    I allready change my PCM and BCM and everything still the same way....
    I have a DRB III becose i am a repair shop, so if there is a way to fix the problem with this tool or another way please tell me
    (Sorry by my bad inglish, I am from Argentina i did my best)
  • shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    I have driven just about every SUV out there and I have it down to two the, Buick Ranier and the JGC. I have one main concern at this point about the JGC that is holding me back from making it my first choice. I am worried about the front seat comfort for a person who is six feet tall. There is plenty of leg room but I am worried about the head room. Is there anyone out there who has a 2005 JGC who is six foot or taller and can tell me about the long term comfort of this vehicle?
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Pat,
    I'm guessing here so I'm not sure if this is right.
    I believe you hit the select button until it shows the tune up reminder and at that point press both the select AND set button simultaneously for at least two seconds. You have to press and hold both buttons at the same time.
    Is that what you did?
    Did you look at the DRB and check the charging system? It appears that you may have either a bad alternator or a corroded (rusted) battery terminal.
    I would disconnect the two battery terminals and clean them with a wire brush. Make both the terminals and the battery posts nice and shiny.
    You can also use baking soda and water to clean off any acid.
    I would also pull out the battery IOD fuse and clean the blades of the fuse and reinsert it.
  • forty9forty9 Member Posts: 2
    Shorty,

I do not own the JGC yet (hopefully will by the end of the month), but have test driven it. I am 6-2 and there is plenty of comfort in the new seats. From what I have heard, a lot of the JGC interior comfort has been modeled after Mercedes Benz. If you are still worried about head room, I suggest taking it for another test drive as I am this weekend. Hope this helps. - Forty
  • shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the advice. I will take it for another test drive. I plan to purchase mine no later than May 30th. I think that it is a very nice automobile.
  • gallagher05gallagher05 Member Posts: 15
    Hi- I have a 2003 JGC Laredo 4.0L and it is in the shop now because when I am going up a hill, with gas pedal to the floor it wont accelerate (This is not consistent), but is happening more frequently. Any thoughts? :confuse: By the way, up until the past month I had great acceleration on hills. Its also been in for the tranny 3 times now, rear clutch was stuck, replaced that and some seals etc... I hope someone can give me some feedback- and thanks ahead if you do!! :)

Second question: Yesterday, same thing, wasn't accelerating as I was going up a hill, then about 2 miles up it finally sounded like it kicked/punched into gear (downshifted)- felt like tranny was going to drop, lol- and it went up to almost 5000 rpms- now that has happened many times in the past too, but dealership told me that is normal (I cant remember the technical terms he used RE: why it is normal) does anyone know if it is normal to do this?
    Depends on the hill but yes, that is probably normal. It's basically downshifting into a lower gear hence the higher rpms. 5000 is not abnormal.
    Depending on the load of the transmission you may have just not quite had enough load on the engine hence it "was not accelerating" and then "kicked into gear". I would not consider that out of the ordinary.
    The 4.0 L engines are good engines but they don't have a ton of power.
    It may feel to you to be a "rough" transition but that's pretty much how Jeeps are.
    When mine downshifts, it's very noticeable when it does.
    I have 166,000 miles on my transmission and it hasn't hurt it so far.
    You may want to move this topic over to the "problems and solutions" board.
    That's a more appropriate place for it.
    Check the Ground G200, located in the center console area (next to the AECM - ORC). G200 is the ground for the cluster and the BCM and is commonly loose on WJ's. If loose, the dash gauges or lights can either totally drop out or flicker. Remove the G200 nut on the stud to thoroughly check the ground. If ok, then check the BCM power feeds.
  • gallagher05gallagher05 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better to hear from someone other than the dealership that this is normal for jeeps. I wouldnt be so paranoid if I had not had so many problems in the past (especially with a newer vehichle). Well if they dont find a problem, I will not worry about this, because what you wrote does make sense. Thanks!! PS: Not that I do not trust my dealership, they have been great, its just easy to miss a problem at times.
  • dolphingirl1dolphingirl1 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone you ever find out what to do about your brake problem on your Jeep Grand Cherokee? I've had the same problem with my brake rotors and pads. I have a 2000 JGC too and have had the brakes changed at least twice and the dealership is telling me I need new rotors and pads again. When I step on the brakes the steering wheel shakes so bad it scares me. The brakes were just changed in August!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    are required to resolve the issue once and for all. The new design from DC should fix it, but I think you could probably get aftermarket calipers to fix it. Once warped, you really need to replace the rotors and pads. Again aftermarket could help you.

We got rid of our Grand not too long ago, but if we had kept it, that was the next thing on my list to do.

From WJJeeps.com
    1. Original (from 1999 model production through May 10, 2002 (Teves, black color with open-sided bracket)

P/N 5011973AA Left front caliper MSRP: $141.00
    P/N 5011972AA Right front caliper MSRP: $141.00
    P/N 5018592AA Pad kit, front MSRP: $177.00
    P/N 52098672 Rotor, front MSRP: $ 65.10 (each)

2. New (from May 11, 2002 production onward: (Akebono, silver color "fully closed" style)

P/N 5093181AA Left front caliper (all-new) MSRP: $140.00
    P/N 5093180AA Right front caliper (all-new) MSRP: $140.00
    P/N 5093183AA Pad kit, front (revised) MSRP: $ 163.00
    P/N 52098672 Rotor, front (unchanged) MSRP: $ 65.10 (each)

3. New kit package (fits all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees)

P/N 05093174AA Front caliper & pad kit package -
    (Includes left P/N 5093181AA and right P/N 5093180AA Akebono "fully closed" style calipers, revised P/N 5093183AA brake pads, P/N 5012437AA attachment bolts, and P/N 6035832 banjo sealing washers). MSRP $220.00

It is imperative that the following items are checked:

1. Thoroughly clean the surface of the wheel hub/bearing assembly where it mates to the brake rotor. The hub surface must be free of corrosion and dirt so that the brake rotor rests flush against the hub.

1A. Make sure the back of the rotor (mating surface) is clean prior to installation.

1B. Make sure the rust preventative is removed (cleaned) from the rotorsprior to installation.

2. Each front brake rotor must be match mounted to the wheel hub/bearingto obtain the least amount of rotor lateral runout. The assembled lateral rotor runout of each rotor and hub assembly MUST BE verified to be 0.001 inch (0.025mm) or less. IF THIS CAN NOT BE ACHIEVED THROUGH MATCH MOUNTING THE ROTOR, THE ROTOR MUST BE MACHINED USING AN ON-THE-CAR LATHE.

3. The surface of the wheel where it mates with the rotor is cleaned of any corrosion and dirt.

4. The wheels are torqued to 100 ft/lbs
    -Paul
  • ls8ls8 Member Posts: 16
    I am only at the 1000 mile mark (but my experience is that mileage usually improves a bit after the first couple of thousand miles) and am averaging around 17-18 with plenty of city driving. On a couple of short trips have averaged about 20. The window sticker is 15/20.
  • ls8ls8 Member Posts: 16
    HAve a 05 Limited for two weeks and love it. Drives about as good as a luxury car - very quiet and smooth, yet very stable and flat on curves.
    As far as it jumping is concerned its smooth but a bit jumpy compared to other navigation units I've seen, Maybe its not as smooth as I expected it to be???? The antenna is installed just as it shows in the wjjeeps.com site.
    Its not real jumpy just doesnt seem as accurate as other navi systems. Maybe Im expecting too much from it?
    The antenna is installed as the instructions indicate on wjjeeps.com, Im getting all 8 satellites, maybe im expecting too much. My wife works for Acura and before I bought the RB1 I was looking at the navi's in the Acura and there is no jumping at all.
  • jeepgrl34jeepgrl34 Member Posts: 8
    I have a "99 JGC Laredo and just had it in the shop and had to have the new calipers placed on my Jeep that were explained in the other reply post to you, for a wonderful net price of 500.00. I am completely appalled that this is happening to our vehicles and there is nothing to be done about it from the Jeep company.You can see my original post under the " Jeep problems" section,it is msg #1111,if you would like.My mechanic thankfully had a heads up on the situation so I was able to just purchase the new caliper replacement part w/o having to spend money several times on rotors over and over again.Good Luck!
  • baron_350baron_350 Member Posts: 6
    Hey all, I've owned my 2001 JGC Limited for almost two years now nearly trouble-free but I'm new to the board. I was wondering if any of you have seen this product on the internet; it is a BMW-style "projector beam" headlight assembly with "angel eyes" halo surrounds. It looks like it would add a ton of look to the nice but ordinary GC. It is a complete assembly that is supposed to just replace the original headlight assembly easily and hook right up. Anyone with any experience on this modification or similar products to upgrade to HID-style lighting? Was it easy to do and have you had any issues with them?

Thank you in advance, happy Jeeping! ...Matt
  • cherokeepatcherokeepat Member Posts: 3
    Hi Paule, thanks for the advice. Tried it. And also different combinations. Nothing seems to do the trick. Even the mecanic about 6 months ago, managed to do it. But coudn`t tell me because he was trying different combinations also.

Just exactly when am I supposed to press the select button alone, because when you turn the ignition on, the display shows rightaway the reminder. So I tried pressing it just after (say 1 second) after turning the igition, tried pressing at the same time, and finaly just before turning the ignition on. Then both buttons together !!!???

I guess I`m going to return at the Jeep dealer again, I`m sorry I would have liked to get it by myself. But hey we can`t get everything right in life!!!

Thanks again, if you have any thoughts on that let me now....
    Sorry Pat, I was just taking a stab at that one. Apparently it doesn't work.
    Just for clarification, as soon as you turn the vehicle on and the reminder is showing, at that point I would press both buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds.
    If that doesn't work, I'm out of suggestions. Good luck.
  • jeep2000jeep2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am having the same problem and have had 3 different sensors replace. Did you find a answer to the no rhyme or reason stall?
    Would love to hear from you.
    Lori
    Push the bottom button. The VIC will display "xxxx miles to service".

While that is displayed, push the top button in and hold it for several seconds until the miles reset and you hear the door chime ding.

If you want to change the interval, while holding down the set button, turn ignition off, then on.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    I just happened to notice our 2001 Laredo has a secret hidden little slot under the ash tray in front of the rubber pocket and shift lever. We had some papers sitting in there and a quarter magically disappeared; when I looked under the ashtray I was sure I could see a red credit card but it turned out to be something behind the 12v acc socket. Anyway, I took out the 2 phillips screws and the plastric tray under the rubber tray and did find a couple lost sentimental little things for my wife along with some slips of paper and multiple quarters. There looks like room for a credit card to fall down in there (we have been mysteriously losing things around the house lately so I figured you never know!), so owners of the 99-04 vintage GCs take note if you are missing thin papers and things.

Other than weird little querks, our 01 Laredo is running pretty good @63K mi. We have 8 months of extened warranty time left so I hope it keeps up for a few years (yes, I had the infamous caliper replacement done but under warranty and a few other things including seat heaters THREE times, but so far reliable and we especially love it in the winter, however now enjoying our 300M!).
  • jeepliferjeeplifer Member Posts: 2
    Not to rile any of you up. I've got a 2002 GC, had the same brake problem you are describing, heavy shaking when braking at highway speeds, downright scary. And my dealership replaced mine free of charge. Granted, this took a little research on my part, but there is a Technical Service Bulletin #0500302B by the Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding the "pulsation" as they call it. When I took mine in, I used that terminology & they replaced the entire braking system at no charge. Granted, it was at 20K miles, & I was still under warranty, however I never gave them the opportunity to try and weasel their way out of it as though it were a complication due to wear & tear. It might be worth it to order the bulletin & talk to your dealer. If you bought it used, there is probably nothing you can do about it but be upset, but if you bought it new, I'd give a shot at reminding them that there is a TSB out on that particular problem. You might get as lucky as I.

Other than that, my 02' has been completely hassle free. Just got the 60K service done & everything is o.k. Best of luck to you.
    Just for clarification, NHTSA does not issue TSBs. TSBs are issued by the car manufacturers to assist dealers in known problem areas.
    The reason your vehicle was repaired at no charge is because you were still within the warranty period.
    The automakers are under no obligation to make a repair free of charge outside the warranty period even if it is a known problem and there is a TSB on it.
    Sometimes you may get them to break the rules but I believe it is rather uncommon.
  • jeepliferjeeplifer Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Paule. I just re-read my post, I did not mean to imply that the NHTSA issued the TSB. I should have mentioned you can view the bulletin on the NHTSA website.

Also, I still think it's worth pointing out to your dealer that you know that there is a TSB regarding the problem & that you'd like for them to do something about it. They may not, as a TSB is not a recall, however if you are a loyal customer and have a lot of your service work done at the dealer, you may be able to talk them into splitting the cost, or eating the labor. Though it is not common for this to happen, if you don't ask, you definitely don't get.
  • saynotojeepsaynotojeep Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep makes weird sounds in the back after I ride the jeep for a while and stop it completely, last week I replaced my bearings in the back, and also I changed the brake rotors in front and back of my Jeep. These repairs were done by Martin's auto not by Jeep dealer.

And also when I stop it comletely and release the brake then it makes some sounds like some turning/tweaking sound..I attribute that to new rotors.

Did anybody know what is going on.

Thanks,
    SP
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Actually DC only covers brakes for the first 12/12000. It has been awhile since I looked at the TSB that covers this issue on the brakes, but it may have helped to get it covered by having this info. I just went to the wjjeeps dot com site and looked at the TSB. I did not have any info about extending the warranty on brakes. I think a lot of it has to do with the dealers warranty liason (whatever they call them). If that person recommends DC cover it, they usually will.
    **ALL** Grand Cherokee models built on or before May 10th 2002 are covered under warranty for warped rotors for 3 years/36,000 miles. There was a special warranty bulletin issued after the TSB that clarified the longer warranty. See this link: http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm
  • p3leop3leo Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has the single zone manual climate control. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to install the dual zone automatic climate control? If so, where can I get the parts and how much do they cost? I work at a BMW dealership, would "general" tools work, or do I need Jeep specific tools to do it?
  • gelightgelight Member Posts: 10
    I am considering buying this vehicle. I have gone from buying a Lexus 330 to the Jeep as we still need a vehicle to haul stuff. Most of what I read is positive, but can you Jeep pros give me your prospective on this vehicle. The ride is better..any issues on repairs? Thank you.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I was fortunate enough to have an 05 GC limited V8 Hemi 4x4 for 7 days. I own a 98 GC and its now like i own i flintstone auto, lol...no joke. The 05 is increadible, quick, smooth, quite interior and very comfortable and it gets way better MPG than my I-6 98 GC. The interior remindes me more of a german auto, say mercedes all the dials are easily accessible, 4x4 was easy to use. I had it at my office for the week and a girl that owned an 04 GC came over and took a look, i let her take it around the parking lot. Three weeks later she shows up with an 05 Laredo, very nice as well. If you have the money this is the best GC so far. As far as offroading goes the IFS is not the best but most people dont do extreme offroading anyway and this GC will handle almost any situation......So far i have not heard of any problems.......
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Thanks for the clarification. I never saw that before. Of course, my rotors warped before May, 2002 or maybe August 2002 (looked closer and was probably Dec, 2002) when this was issued. I had already had a couple of round with my local 5 star dealer and gotten turned down since it was at about 15,000. I replaced the rotors with aftermarket for about what the dealer wanted to turn the rotors. Filed with DC and all they did was notify the dealer. The service manager contacted me and basically did not want to do anything. Had my fill of the dealer and DC...probably will not deal with either of them again. Service manager did not even flinch when I pointed out the pallet with 30-40 sets of dead rotors sitting out behind their shop.
  • jeepgrl34jeepgrl34 Member Posts: 8
    Ok ,I am far from having any car knowledge but is there alot of 1999 Jeeps out there with only 36,000 miles on them??? Geez,I thought I was buying a bargin with my 1999 JGC that had 47,000 miles on it.So I guess that TSB doesnt help me much (Jeep now has 56,000 miles on it) :cry:
    Rumor has it that Jeep will offer the 3.0L CRD for the 2006 JGC model in the US. This engine is currently available in Europe. Does anyone have this now? What are the rated and actual fuel economy figures? I understand that the max torque is higher than even that of the 5.7L Hemi. I suppose now my ideal vehicle would be the 2006 JGC Overland with the Dynamic Handling System and the Diesel.
    The diesel engine is not on the schedule for the 2006 model year. The Euro diesel has 218 hp and 376 lb.-ft. of torque. DHS has been cancelled.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please read your email.

Thanks.

tidester, host
    OK, Tidester, I will not give the link.

After a lot of Web searching, I found a link (in Spanish) which, in a five page review, states that the 3.0L CRD (Common Rail Diesel) JGC achieves a mean fuel economy of 9.9 l / 100 km, which translates to 23.759 mpg. According to www.wkjeeps.com/wk_production.htm,
    production of the this version, for export, began on May 2.

As for DHS, I understand that it's been cancelled for 2005, but a Jeep
    representative (again, I cannot give the link) assured me it would be available for 2006.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A writer with a national newspaper would like to interview someone who was looking at a Chrylser/Dodge/Jeep vehicle, and wasn’t sure whether to get a Hemi but in the end paid the extra money for the Hemi. The writer is specifically looking at the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum or Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you fit what the writer is looking for and you are willing to be quoted in a newspaper article, please send an email with contact information to kholguin@edmunds.com by Monday, May16, 2005, 5pm Eastern.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"As for DHS, I understand that it's been cancelled for 2005, but a Jeep
    representative (again, I cannot give the link) assured me it would be available for 2006"

Even people at Jeep are confused about the availability of DHS, they have been telling people for months that it is "already available on current production models". I can tell you that DHS will NOT be available at introduction on 2006 models, including the Commander, Grand Cherokee Laredo, GC Limited or GC Overland models.