Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• ribewribew Member Posts: 15
    I have 1900 miles on my Alero GLS and things seem to be doing ok. Gas mileage is still low, but I'm hoping it'll get better. The starting problem I noted several posts back has seemed to cure itself. The car is a blst to drive and I love the power it has.

As for everyone's mirror problems, I notice that my driver's side mirror vibrates at high speeds, but doesn't make any noises. Is this what everyone is talking about? Is it fixable, or is it something I'll have to live with.
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    dindak:::::::I just knew I would hear from you; and everything would be just fine..I was struck by the number of complaints on the Alero forum and just curious why GM is selling 12k/mo. According to my service manager they are worse than the Intrigue..

Another great market day---note of interest---the big board has been down every Friday this year; so one should bail on Thursday.. I'm 90% bonds/money market; my permanent stock group is upside down.
  • teragramteragram Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the response, Tina! I called GM today and asked when *they* thought I might get a special order car delivered. They said 10-14 weeks, but high-volume dealers (like the one in my area) have an easier time clearing cars off their lots so they can special order more quickly, like 6-8 weeks. They also said the $2000 rebate is a factory rebate, and I'm entitled to that regardless of whether I special order or not. I hear it might rain in DC this saturday--I thought that would be a perfect time to test drive and check for leaks in the 2001 models! :)
  • tina24tina24 Member Posts: 7
    skibry1...I live in Massachusetts. Will have to check on the RPM shifting levels. Love the car, no problems (yet), only 4200 miles. Couldn't find what I wanted in all of New England. 5 speeds are rare unless you settle for a stripped down GX coupe. Car has great pickup for a 4 cylinder. Still get awful gas mileage....
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    Hope GM doesn't get into boatbuilding any time soon for they would probably locate the bilge pump in the wrong area..

One of reasons that the Asian car people have eaten the Big 3s lunch is their ability to build outstanding 4 cylinder engines that rev nicely and are smooth.

Anybody that buys a GM 4 cylinder car is not getting much; for in the long run it is pure junk..

I despise Asian cars but they built their volume on excellent small engines moving larger bodies..
  • 98monte_ls98monte_ls Member Posts: 117
    My mom's 2001 GL coupe has passed 4200 mi and so far very few problems. Brakes are fine. MPG not so great. Build quality very good. had a water leak but it was fixed right the first time; it was a bad water deflector inside the door panel causing water to enter the carpet.

No brake, battery, or engine problems and no squeaks or rattles.

By the way how much is the factory rebates right now on Aleros?????/?

Bruce
  • killer3killer3 Member Posts: 13
    I have noticed a few comments on leaking Aleros. My girlfriend's Alero had a leak in the front passenger side, and the dealer fixed it with a new rain deflector...problem gone. There is a service bulletin for this, and a re-designed part; since it is a design problem, I would imagine that it should be a free repair even for you high mileage drivers out there who are beyond the warranty miles. She did have to wait a week or so for the 'special order' part to come in, though. The dealer she went to for this repair is the big one in Norwood Mass. She had as good an experience as can be expected at any dealer's service department, If you are in Eastern Mass. you may want to try them.

By the way, I love the way this car drives and the brakes & power seem wonderful for a $20K car...I am not sure anything else in this price/size range is as fun to drive..maybe when the lease on my BMW 5-series is up I will save a little money and trade it in for an Alero ;-). I do wish that GM would add a little heavier sound-proofing under the carpet...my 1983 Cutlass was much quieter on the highway.
  • mfletoumfletou Member Posts: 22
    The problem is not with the Alero's brakes, it is with the rotors. The brakes themselves are among the finest on the market, bar none---perhaps THE best on an American car. In fact, Edmunds has named the Alero to its "Best Performing Car List" (one of only a handful of domestic cars) which includes braking as a criteria. The Alero goes from 70-0 in under 130 ft. and Csere in this month's Car and Driver makes mention of the Alero's excellent braking in his column. Unfortunately, it looks like they got cheap with the rotors, but once they are fixed you will find excellent braking, and brilliant accleration. BTW, I went on a highway trip today and got 32 mpg for the trip with 4 pax...not too bad and a significant improvement...my car now as 3100 miles.
  • tebbenstebbens Member Posts: 5
    Fatjuan and anyone else interested, stalling and not starting 2000 GL4 4cyl. just started with the BBB GM/Auto line program for a possible buy back program. Had to write dealer and note the problems they are aware of and what we want to do, have to wait 2 weeks to hear from dealer to see if they are willing to do it, if not BB have to send copy of letter to BBB and they must get involved. Near the back of owners manuel is the basic format for un-resolved issues. As far as Lemon law goes each state varies widely as I can tell. Delaware requires 4 exact issues and attempts to fix within first year and don't represent but need a lawyer! Hoping GM doesn't want to go to all that! Really don't want another GM product after these bad experiences. Wife was left at Walmart for a half hour while trying to start the car. Earlier in week had to wait 15 min. before able to leave house! First domestic and probably last at least GM. They have tried all kinds of fixes and nothing yet. Of course they love that catch all cop-out "no codes" found. Well they found a bad Alternator, Oxygen Sensor, Fuel Pump and none of those items had any codes showing either. Found them the old fashioned way, a little know how and detective work(amp meter, networking, ect.) Oxygen Sensor fixed on going intermitten "TRAC OFF" light problem. Thanks for your time and if anyone has a fix yet please let us know. God bless, Ben.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    What can I say. I've had good luck with my Intrigue and my mom loves her Alero. Both have been excellent cars with great brakes and my mom's is 2+ years old now so it's not like she just go it.
  • 3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    I have had my 2001 Alero GLS for a month now and just hit 1000 miles. I have mixed feelings about the car. First the bad: I have already heard weird noises from the brakes after the car sat for a week. These went away after a mile or so. Having previously owned a 98 Intrigue with the Autobahn package, a car infamous for wretched brakes, I fear the worst. The shifter is imprecise and cheap feeling. I am constantly hitting '3' instead of 'D'. The mileage (last tank was 22 mpg, mostly highway) is unbelievably bad for a six in a relatively small car as well. The Intrigue did just as well with an additional 25 hp and a few more pounds to carry around. I miss the torque of the Intrigue. The interior trim details are cheap, particularly the center console, the small bin to the left of the steering wheel and the glove box door. If you don't touch, it looks pretty good though. It would be nice to be able to stop damning GM products with such faint praise one of these days. The stereo is only adequate. The fog light switch indicator lamp doesn't has never functioned, and the low fuel indicator light doesn't go on until the gauge is absolutely on 'E'. One or the other has to be miscalibrated. I would be terrified to check the resale value, except that I did a smart buy to mitigate the risk of having a worthless car a few years down the road. Even so, I could have had a Grand Prix or Monte Carlo for only a few dollars although those cars are nothing to write home about and I wanted something smaller.

Now the good... The car looks good inside and out in the midnight blue color and neutral interior. It's stylish without looking like every other car on the road and far classier than its Grand Am relative. The steering wheel is the perfect thickness and feels great. Handling and braking are quite decent, the car is fun to drive with better cornering than the Intrigue. As usual with GM, the automatic transaxle is smooth and well calibrated. The paint and body panels aren't too bad for a GM, though I wouldn't want to compare them with your average Japanese brand, though the Alero has way more character than any of its Japanese competitors.

Bottom line, I probably would have never bought the car without the owner loyalty and GM card earnings that covered the down payment. GM is hurting bad in that there are just no desirable cars coming from them these days. Killing Olds certainly doesn't help matters any.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Just curious, why didn't you consider another Intrigue? I have a 98 myself and am seriously considering a 2001 this summer when my lease is up. The Alero is not a bad car and I certainly like it better than the Grand Am or the Altima, Gallant, and 626 for that matter, but the Intrigue is overall more refined and powerful. Especially with the new DOHC V6. The Midnight Blue is a very sharp color. Thats what color I want my next Intrigue to be.
  • lindseylindsey Member Posts: 41
    I have already heard weird noises from the brakes after the car sat for a week. These went away after a mile or so.

My guess is that your rotors built up some rust while your car sat. The first few times you used them you probably heard some grinding noise. Once the rust was rubbed off, the noise went away. I believe this is normal.

I'm surprised the O2 sensor solved the trac-off problem. Maybe the problem just "went silent" for a while. My mom had that in her 99 GL coupe and they put two O2 sensors in and it never went away. So she did go to BBB and got a new one with no hassles. Very few cars had the trac-off problem.

So far no such problem with the new one & 4200 mi
    I did seriously consider another Intrigue but decided against it for several reasons.

First, between the residuals that are so much lower now than when I leased my '98 (loaded GL) and escalating prices, I would have been paying over a hundred dollars a month more to drive pretty much the same car (another loaded GL), though with heated seats. Alero residuals are a bit better, about 3 percentage points.

Second, my '98 had a lot of problems and from looking here and researching elsewhere, my impression is that Aleros are a bit more reliable overall.

Third, I hated the feel of the new steering system in the '01 Intrigue. Hands down, the '98 has better feel. And, the GL didn't offer the Autobahn package with the bigger brakes and performance tires like my '98.

Finally, I don't use a car to get to work and really don't drive much. Truth be told, I could get away without having a car at all and I just couldn't justify buying something really nice to just have it sit. If I still had a significant commute each way like I did when I got my '98, I probably would have gotten an Intrigue GLS and gotten used to the steering eventually.
  • egodategodat Member Posts: 3
    Tomorrow I hit my 3,000 mile check up. Got my car in the first week of January. Mine is a 01' GL4 2.4 silver sedan with the leather package The ride has been smooth and fun. Steering still as Edmunds described it, but livable. The brakes, if wet ,do the shudder or shudder during a rapid deacceleration. Gas mileage on 70/30 Hwy/city mix is 22-23 mpg. Sometimes the mpg will go up to 25 depending on trips. I get about 320 miles a tank which is about six days commute. Not bad. Although if gas reaches $2.50 a gallon the SUV I considered would have been a dollar eating choice. Still loving the 0/0/0 plan with paying cash next year in full for it.
  • tebbenstebbens Member Posts: 5
    Hey Bruce, Glad to here about your mom's car doing so well!!! We really love our car and bought it to keep for the long haul, usually 10yrs or 200,000 + - but with the starting and stalling problem it just makes us scared down the road. Shame about the re-sale values. Just got a letter at Alereo.org from someone suggesting that if a person could get an Alero or any car in Canada they can really save on the currency rates? Just a passing thought to someone maybe. About the Trac Off light, our service man said something that made me think when I showed him a service bulletin on the "Idle Control Valve" that makes the car sometimes miss while at an idle, which I have noticed for a long time, some times it feels like it will stall and even has but he said he couldn't notice it and that we wouldn't want them to replace it if it wasn't the problem would we, making me wonder about some of the parts they have been replacing on other things and if he knew something I didn't. If they have faulty parts and are just replacing them with more faulty parts of course it won't be fixed. It would appear that's what happened to your mothers car. Maybe they finally got them right? That O2 sensor sure has took care of ours since about Oct. or Nov. with no more episodes. Hope all finds you well and will update you all on our BBB buy back expierence. Ben. If any one else has the stalling or starting problem and any fixes please let us know, Thanks.
  • munkyatpumunkyatpu Member Posts: 8
    I'm planning on purchasing a 2001 Alero GLS Sedan and I was wondering where are the 8 speakers located. I can only find 6 of them. Also, I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me what kind of sound quality it produces. Thanks for your help!
  • dcnwsdcnws Member Posts: 12
    Although I haven't looked at an Alero with the premium sound, on my 98 Grand Prix, the two speakers you may be talking about are located on the doors toward the top just up from the window controls. They are small and round.

I am still looking for a GL2 in dark blue or ruby. Looking at the GM Buy Power pages, there appears to very little on the lots in my neck of the woods. I think the rebate remains in effect until October in the Midwest.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    They rate the Alero and Grandam as mediocre in handling. They didn't provide any details (of course).

CR is a source of historical data on vehicles but when it comes to stuff like handling, its obvious CR's 'crunch the numbers approach' doesn't connect with reality.
    CR sucks. It is the only magazine I regularly disagree with. The people who run it are all accountants, not car lovers. Don't take too much stock in what they say.
    CR is pure garbage on nearly anything they test. Whether it's cars, TVs, toasters, or beer their reviews are biased toward the cheapest or most practical. Remember, these guys think cars think more highly of cars like Accords and Camrys than Corvettes and Jaguars. And they seldomly recommend buying the larger engine in a car if one is available. Stick to C&D, MT, R&T, Autoweek, and Automobile if you want a good review of car on things that matter.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    As Jackie Boy said in the movie "A Few Good Men", "You can't handle the truth".
    What is mediocre about Alero handling?
  • ryanroseberryryanroseberry Member Posts: 12
    Well,over a month has passed and it is still a struggle to get my 2001 Alero GLS started in the morning. The computers show nothing and I've had the fuel pump replaced. I take the Car back into the service center on Tuesday. Hopefully this time they'll fix it or I'm turning it in as a "Lemon".

In all fairness however, to those looking to purchase an Alero, it is a good car. Once we get the thing started we are very pleased

It handles great. The 6 cyl has good pickup and it runs quite (contrary to edmunds review). The premium sound system is a "must have" if you have the extra money to spend. It's a sharp looking car. Ours is a loaded 2001 GLS 4 Door. Black with Tan Leather interior.

Once they fix the problem I'll let everyone know what the fix is. Likewise, if you have the answer please let me know.
    "What is mediocre about Alero handling?"

Hey, I don't have the truth, just my opinion. You shouldn't trash a publication just because you don't agree with it. There are many road tests that CR has done that I don't agree with myself, but still appreciate their perspective. Overall they (along with Consumer Guide, Edmunds ...) are more informative for prospective drivers than publications that have advertisements from the car manufactures. Not that I don't enjoy reading from the "enthusiasts" car magazines. If a car comes out with a new engine or suspension, they go into more detail and explain what may be innovative about it. But when it comes to how the car actually drives with the new engine, I trust the consumer base magazines more. By the way, don't both types of magazines rate the Accord/Camry/Passat a notch or two above the Alero? But then, the Alero doesn't cost as much either. When it comes to actually buying a car, I trust me the most. I don't buy (or lease in my case) a car unless I like the way it looks and drives.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    I agree w/venus mags that are supported w/ads
    may tend to favor a vehicle(due to ad budget)
    over an another. At 44 I'm in this for the long
    haul and used CR+Edmnds for data about a
    vehicle that spends more time on the road
    than the shop. If this were just a lease looks may
    be a bigger factor.Aleros look better than the
    group "two notches above".
    I stand by the fact that CR is pure garbage. I used to sell home electronics and anyone who knows anyhting about electronics knows brands like Sony, Hitachi, Proscan, Toshiba, etc are better than Zenith and Magnavox. Yet CR would recommend Zenith or low end RCA products simply becuase they didn't see the reason to spend the extra money on the other brands. The same basically goes for their car reviews. There are much better sources to get reviews on cars(or electronics) than CR. BTW, which Alero model did they test? My bet it was a 4 cylinder model with the 15 inch wheels.
    While I do think CR is worth a read, they really do come out with some wild contradictions and strange comments. I trust magazines like Motor Trend, C&D and Auto World before I take too much stock in CR. Lets face it, they can't be experts in everything and just because they don't take advertising, doesn't make them good.
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree. When did you ever come across a car that Auto World didn't like? What about the track record of Motor Trend for some of their picks for car of the year? I'm thinking of the Renault Alliance in 1983 which was one of the biggest POS cars ever made. You're right about CR having some wild contradictions though. Even if you don't agree with the road tests, the data they collect from their subscribers is useful for potential buyers. As if JD Powers. Again I have nothing against the enthusiasts' magazines, they have some good writers and some of the articles are a joy to read. But if certain cars are having reliability problems, you won't hear if first from them or not at all. Ford Focus is a perfect example. By all accounts (even CR), a great performing car in its class, but with lots of recalls. CR points this out and a magazine like Automobile doesn't.

etharmon: I don't know which model CR tested. But the car's handling seems to be its strongest asset from the consensus of road tests I read. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the Pontiac Gram AM outsells the Alero by so much. The exterior and interior (especially so) of the Alero looks so much better.
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    I like reading Consumer Reports, but I take their recommendations with a grain of salt. They are sometimes on target and sometimes way off base. But unfortuantely with Alero's "mediocare handling" comment they are not too far off base. My 2000 GL3 6 cyl handles great under most driving situations, but I find that if I am making a turn and driving over 35 mph hte car tends to over steer and the turn is extremely wide. I've never had this problems with the imports I've driven. There is another website (I can't recall its name) where car owners rate their cars and make comments on a scale of 1 to 5 stars (5 is best). The handling has been criticized.

I have 8000+ miles in 5 months and am very pleased with my Alero. I have no major complaints, but feel the car is not yet into the top tier of imports.
    You are right, there are some reliability issues with some of MT's picks, but they aren't looking at LT reliability on new cars they test. They are just testing the car's attributes at the time. As for CR's reader surveys, they are useful but so flawed that one always has to question the validity, especially on lower volume cars.
    Consumer Reports is biased toward boring but reliable vehicles. They seem to be immune to potentially emotional issues like styling. I am 90% sure they tested a '99GL 4 cylinder for their summary which said mediocre handling, how relevant is that to someone who wants to purchase a 2001 GLS with the performance suspension like myself? They are good for one thing only; long term data for people in the market for a used car.
    If the car goes wide in a turn, it is under steering. If it over steers, the backend comes around. But I got your point.

You can put 2 or 3 more psi in the rear tires and that should make the Alero understeer less (hold the line tighter rather than go wide).
  • ilovestsilovests Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone tell me how they like their GL2 Sedan with a V-6. I am ordering one soon and would like some commentary. I would like to know how much improved the new sound system is. I hear that it has RDS and would like to know if it is any good... Loudness, Quality, Bass.

I would also like to know what people get for gas milage with the V-6.

I cant wait to get my car.
  • ckpmnckpmn Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a new Alero but that cup holder in front of the stick really bothers me. Is it as inconvenient as it looks? It such a small detail yet so important. I have a long commute in the morning with lots of stop-and-go traffic and I hate to be spilling coffee in a new car (or even and an old car). Thanks.
  • shelmartinshelmartin Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 GLS Coupe that I love.

I have the V6 and get 25 mpg city and 30 hwy. Remember, my car is a coupe, but I would think the numbers would be pretty much the same.

As for that cup holder in front of the stick. I find it very difficult (make that nearly impossible) to get a cup in and out of when the car is in park (the stick is forward against the cup) but when the car is in drive, it is not a problem. I still choose to use the cup holder behind the stick, just out of convenience.
  • ananuriananuri Member Posts: 3
    I have GL2 sedan with V6, and so far I have only 350 miles on it, all in the city. My mileage is 15 mpg for now, but I hope it will improve.

I have one minor problem - when I put stick in the park, button won't pop up, and I cannot remove the key, unless I manipulate the stick somehow to get button up. Is there something I should do to solve this problem?

Otherwise, it is a great car - looks great, lots of joy to drive even in the city, very nice interior, and I am really happy with it. Can't wait to take it to highway
    About your problem removing the key--I'm not sure what could be causing the problem on the V6 Automatic. In the manual, you have to put it in reverse to remove the key. You might want to check the owner's manual anyway; there might be something in there that can help you.
  • ilovestsilovests Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if Oldsmobile is going to extend the extended warrenty program past April 15th?

Thanks
  • munkyatpumunkyatpu Member Posts: 8
    The Alero.com website says, "Take delivery by 10/01/02." I hope this helps.
  • arcticfunarcticfun Member Posts: 11
    ilovests--

I have the 2001 GL2 Sedan with Sun & Sound and the sport suspension w/16" rims. As far as the new sound system, compared to what I've had in the past for stock systems this one is heaven to me. I think the quality is great, the bass is deep and my CDs rock. The only thing that sucks is the in-window antenna. I get much more fade out on radio stations than with a normal antenna. And yes, the new system has RDS and all kinds of pre-set modes. It's overwhelming at times.

I have the 4cy and at 1500 miles I'm just getting the 21-23mpg in mixed driving.
  • ryanroseberryryanroseberry Member Posts: 12
    Finally the starting problem is fixed. The Fuel Pump Regulator was defective. It was allowing the fuel to go back into the fuel tank when the vehicle was turned off. It starts great now, for the first time since I bought it. If anyone else is having a starting problem this may be it.
  • ananuriananuri Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for replay. key removing problem seems to improve - happens rarely and for short time, does not bother any more. Couldn't find anything about it in Manual. Will ask dealer if it continues to happen.

Seems like the gas mileage is improving too. And again, car looks and drives great.
    It appears that GM has raised the base price of
    the GL2. Doesn't make a lot of sense if the economy is slow and cars sit on the dealers lots.

For those of you that are still waiting to buy,
    does anyone know if there is a way to determine when a car was built by looking at the VIN?
  • genius1genius1 Member Posts: 1
    i just recently bought a 2001 Alero GX. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when...or where i could find a K&N air filter for my car...thanks
    Dunno about the VIN, but another way to figure out which month and year a car was built is to look at a label printed on the edge of the driver's side door (you can only read it when the door is open). It says the manufacturing date there.

BTW, I was bummed when you explained what your login name meant--I work for a newspaper in DC so I'm more entitled to it than you! :)
    I have also noticed that CR is way biased against anything GM. They hate GM. Notice in any road test they'll have a line like "...not as _______ (insert adjective) as its japanese counterparts..."

They compare everything to the japanese products.

I guess in a way frugality makes sense. Some frugal people will retire with millions to spend. I don't consider myself overly materialistic but I just cannot see driving a lttle Chevy Metro just to save money. I want a V6 Camaro. No 300hp motor, no T-Tops. Just a performance coupe w/sport suspension.

I don't live by CR's reviews because I know they are skewed. Hey, when I bought my first "new" car, a Pontiac Sunbird, they were saying "stay away from them" but it gave me 87,000 miles of good service.
    I look at the GM Buy Power pages almost every day to see how many Aleros are out there, and if there is one I want. I'm somewhat surprised to see not that many, especially on smaller dealer lots. By looking at the VINs of the cars that are showing up, I can estimate how long a car has been sitting on the lot. As I understand it, after 3 months, the hold back runs out from GM. I'll keep looking. The CR magazines are (in my opinion) biased in favor of the Japanesse cars. Although I think the Hondas are nice cars, there are some things that I just can't get by. The tilt wheel doesn't tilt, it just goes up and down. I have had good luck with GM, (expect for my 84 Mote Carol) so will stay with them.
    DC
    You're right. There aren't too many Aleros on the buypower inventories. I checked it myself a while back.

Even at my local dealers' lot, they have a very small selection. They are a Olds/Pontiac store and carry more of the ugly Grand Ams than the Alero. No GL2's either.