Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Camaro / Firebird screams for 300+hp 8 cylinder engine, not V-6. Modestly looking, mid-size, mid-price family sedans are substantially faster.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The same with Intrigue. Unfortunately, it looks as Olds is dying even faster than it was expected... What a shame!
  • ribewribew Member Posts: 15
    My 2001 GLS is having a starting issue also, but it's having problems when the car has been driven for a few miles.

It has an extremely hard time turning over, and on the first attempt, it usually doesn't start. I had it looked at a few months ago, but of course it wasn't actiing up when the techs. were looking at it.

What were your starting symptoms like? Were you getting lousy gas mileage also, before the regulator was replaced?

Thanks!
  • ryanroseberryryanroseberry Member Posts: 12
    The problem with my car was that the fuel regulater was not holding pressure. Therefore, the fuel was not staying in the lines. So eventually after a few hours all of the fuel was back in the tank and replaced by air in the fuel lines. My GLS actually started better after it had ran because the fuel had not had time to go back into the tank. I'm not really sure what kind of gas milleage I'm getting, I haven't really been monitoring it (after reading some of the reviews on this site, I'm kind of afraid to). If your GLS is starting right away in the morning, it's probably not the regulator, but trust me I definately am not a mechanic by any stretch. May be worth having the Olds Techs look into though. Other than the fuel pump itself, I think I've read where the oxygen sensor also effects how the vehicle starts. Sorry that I'm not much help, but if you find an answer please update me, just in case it starts happening to me. Thanks Ryan
  • ecraine1ecraine1 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard of the 98 Intrigues having shuttering break problems and I test drove a 99 Alero that seemed to also have that problem. I looking to purchase a 2000 Alero GLS, anyone having any break problems? Thanks!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    I think some here even report the problem on 2000s. The TSB has upgraded rotors and new pads installed. No problems in the 9,000 miles since the new hardware was installed.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I have a '99 intrigue with the 3.5L that has a rough start and non start problem.
    I have had the fuel pressure regulator and battery replaced. None of this has helped. I asked them to check the crankshaft sensors but they refused.
    My non start or rough start can happen in the morning and also after it has been driven awhile.
    It can happen 4-5 times a day or once every ten days.
    Is the fuel pump regulator you had replaced the same as a fuel presure regulator? If this is a stock olds part then maybe it is also used in the intrigue.
    Thanks in advance.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I also have a 99 Intrigue that had the same starting problem. They checked the codes and it was either a crankshaft or cam sensor, I forget, that kept coming up. So they replaced the sensor for me and it worked great for about 2 months. Now, it has returned to it's old behavior. Keep me posted if you find a better solution.

Other than that, I am currently looking at a 2001 Alero GL2 sedan w/ V6 and sun/sound packages. Sticker is $21675. It was a demo, so it has 7000 miles. With $2000 rebate, they are asking $17800. They said the 5/60 warranty would start the day of purchase (60 months and 67000 total vehicle miles).
    Does this sound like a good deal?
    I am thinking of offering $17000 for kicks.
  • lindseylindsey Member Posts: 41
    b4z: I also have '99 Intrigue with 3.5L. I had rough starting and sometimes stalling problem. It always *would* start, just with difficulty. The stalling was more serious. Like when you are approaching a busy intersection and the car dies. I took it in and they quickly found a faulty crankshaft sensor. No problem since replacement of that part - over one year ago. Has your service dept. given you a reason why they won't check the crankshaft sensor? If they don't have a decent explanation I would ask for an appointment with the service manager.
  • adennadenn Member Posts: 18
    I have had my GL2 V6 for about three months now. Like the car and am happy I found a dealer who had the GL2's. I live outside hilly and had went to a few dealers who only had GI's GL1's and GLS's. Then I found a dealer who had over 30 Aero's with more than half being GL2's I/ V6. To make things even better, this dealer sold me the car at invoice.
    I too have been suffering from poor gas mileage. Only hope it improves. Will need to bring the car in to have wind noise from the rear driver's side vanity window taken care of. Really like the 16" wheels and Eagle tires and the sports suspension. Car handles very well in tight turns and a joy to pass people in. The color is ruby red and I am hoping for some decent weather so that I can detail the car.
  • skimann20skimann20 Member Posts: 5
    Hey All,
    Check out the Alero Web site at www.Alero.org.
    They have a lot of fun stuff, modifications, recalls, car of the week... Stuff like that.
    HAve a great day,
    Brad
  • ryanroseberryryanroseberry Member Posts: 12
    The Fuel Pump Regulator monitors and controls the pressure it's probably the same thing as the Fuel Pressure Regulator. After reading the above entries however, sounds like you've got a crankshaft sensor problem. Good Luck. I know its frustrating. Ryan.
  • marobinsmarobins Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

I posted here a while ago about my side mirror vibrating, took it in, got it replaced and now its even worse. So the dealership ordered me another part.
    that was 4 weeks ago! the dealer tells me the part is on back order.
    is anybody else waiting for a mirror?
    has anybody had one replaced and work?

thx,
    mike
  • coalcrackercoalcracker Member Posts: 53
    Just a word to tell you all that your gas mileage will not improve. I now have 13,000 miles on the car and the MPG has not changed from day one. What you get is what you will get. I have a 2000 Alero, v-6, 4 door sedan. From day one I got 20-21 MPG for suburbia driving, 30-31 on the highway. That is with conservative driving. Hot-rodding and cold weather will reduce the MPG. Don't fret over looking to improving the MPG because you are wasting your breath and your concern. Just enjoy the car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Since we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about the Alero, there is no longer a need for the "2" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original Alero discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • foxhoundsfoxhounds Member Posts: 5
    I have a GL2 5spd 4 cylinder. I liked the Quad4 and that is one reason I bought the Alero. I have an old Pontiac Quad 4 and my son has an Old Calais with the same motor (both 5spds). The gas mileage is starting to improve - around 25 combined compared to my Grandam and my son's Olds that consistently get 28-29.
    One thing I have noticed is a high idle. When I pop it into neutral - it idles at 1250 for about 20 seconds and then drops to about 1000. This seems high to me. Our Quad4s idles a bit over 900. When I take it into the dealer I will ask about adjusting - otherwise I will do it myself and try not to void the warranty. I think that could affect gas mileage and I would be interested if other folks cars idle high.
    I like the handling - I don't think the steering is numb - I like a bit of an under steer - especially on a tight turn. The 5spd linkage is very smooth and the gearing seems better than my old trannys. I think that GM was a bit too cheap in not illuminating the controls for the dash lights (seems absurd to have to grope to about at night to adjust the dash illumination!)
    I still don't think the new 4 banger is as quick as theQuad 4- but I am an old fart and should be slowing down!
  • cabriencabrien Member Posts: 1
    For genius1 - If you're still looking for a K&N air filter for your 2001 Alero..try www.summitracing.com That's where I bought mine. Another good web site for information is www.alero.org Hope this helps!
  • foxhoundsfoxhounds Member Posts: 5
    Last week (either Thursday or Friday) the Washington Post Business section had a front page article on Oldsmobile. The article stated that volume was almost up almost twice over last year. It also noted that customers were getting good deals - but incentives are supposed to end next month.
  • fclspatfclspat Member Posts: 61
    Bought my parents an Alero GX at invoice (actually they wrote up the bill wrong and they got is for about $500 under). They paid under $15k including sales tax (after a few $100 GM Card rebate).

I may be interested in one or two more GXs but the dealer only has GLS's and other loaded Alero's. And they are not too keen on ordering more.

Wondering if anyone else has gotten similar deals in the Westchester County NY area.

Also thinking about getting one in a 5 speed. The write-ups I read here seem OK on the stick. Just want to make sure as my wife had a Cutlass International Series w/ a stick that had to be bought back by GM.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    The Getrag transmisson was designed in Germany, assembled in Italy and installed in
    the U S of A. Talk about your world economy.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Advertised in the Toronto Star this weekend..

Alero GX with auto/ air/ CD/ cruise for C$19998 (about $14K US) and 1.9% financing. Great deals! Wish my lease was up this year.
  • hoffshoffs Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2000 4-cyl Alero for 2 months now. The best I've gotten is 21 mpg on the highway. In town, I get 17-19 mpg. I was hoping that someone out there could tell me that there is something I can do to improve this!? I took it in to the dealership, but they tell me that there is nothing wrong. My main reason for buying a car (4-cyl at that) was for the good gas mileage. I drive about 1800 miles every month and our gas prices took a $0.65 hike in one month. ouch! If anyone has any advice, please dish it out! Thanks!
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    Before I purchased my 2000 Alero 6 cyl last year I was also looking at other cars. I've read on another message board here that owners of 6 cyl Hyundai Sonatas have been complaining about poor acceleration and lousy mpg. Some Sonata owners repalced their spark plugs with platinum plugs. They are claiming to be getting both better acceleration and better mpg. Has anyone here tried that? If so, any improvemnets?
    Let's see, you've owned it for 2 months and do about 1800 miles per month which means you should have over 3500 miles on it? The motor should be broken in by now and your highway mileage should be up around 30 mpg. I get close to 30 mpg with a 6 cyl Alero doing about 70 mph.

Check your tire pressure lately? They should be around 32-33 psi. When cruising on the highway, what RPM is the engine running at?
  • dcnwsdcnws Member Posts: 12
    Picked up our 2001 GS2 Alero Monday evening. The only options are the 6 cylinder and power seat.
    I think I got a good deal, was $200 over invoice.
    My only complaint is the dealership was lacking.
    They didn't even have any windshield wash in it.
    Car is fun to drive, and the Ruby is an attractive color. Will let you know what the gas mileage is like in a few weeks.

I don't plan on going back to this dealer for service, will probably go the local Olds dealer. Anyone have problems going to a different dealer for service/warranty work??

DC
    Wonder if that will ruffle any feathers.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    Just stopped by to check things out as the Alero was one of the final two cars my wife tested before we bought our Sonata GLS. Actually people in the Sonata forum rarely complain about MPG's or acceleration and there is only one poster who constantly complains about automatics. He and I have the same car down to the color but his is a manual and apparently that is all he will drive.

As to the Platinum plugs, I highly recommend them. Sonatas V-6's come with Platinum tipped plugs so they are good out to 60K unlike the full platinum plug which can go to 100K. Some have been installing the the Bosch +4's in the I-4's and they do seem to improve starting, driveability, and power around the 2000RPM range and up. This tends to bring the I-4's closer to a comparable level of overall performance with the V-6 but without the smoothness or ultimate power.

Our V-6 does not have the American style torque of the Alero V-6 and the gearing is dissimilar. But my mpg's are at 25 suburban average and 30 highway average, depending on load.

Good Luck with your cars. I really like the look and feel of them even though my wife didn't. Oh well.
  • hockeymomhockeymom Member Posts: 3
    Just got my 99 alero inspected and got the rear defrost fixed. It was an "antenna coil". I didn't think it was a fuse since the light still worked. Just made it under my 30,000 mile warranty so it was no charge. I also don't seem to get good gas mileage. It also seems to hesitate during colder weather when it first gets going until it warms up. I tried to get that checked out, too, but it just so happened to be 80 degrees that day and it didn't do it for the dealer. Murphy's law!
  • judy29judy29 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new 2001 alero in January. Only take it out in good weather. I drive 32 miles to work. On the way home from work, the car suddenly starts vibrating at a speed around 70. Enough shaking to actually scare the heck out of me. This started happening when the car was under 800 miles. I now have 1600 miles on it and it has happened 4 other times. It is at the dealer and they are trying to find the problem. Has anyone else experience this? Help
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Recent news reports show that GM will drop the Alero in 2004.
    Sounds like a cylinder misfiring. But really need more info. What does the dealer say?
  • kitoozekitooze Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to write this for anyone out there considering buying an Alero. I spent 6 months trying to sell my previous car (a 2000 Hyundai Elantra), so that I could get the car I really wanted, a bright red GLS with spoiler. I used to read these message boards all the time, I was obsessed, I daydreamed about getting my Alero every day. I noticed a lot of the message board comments were negative, but I didn't care, I thought the Alero was a great looking car and I was willing to put up with the hassles of owning one.

I finally got it about 6 weeks ago. It is a 2000 model that had 300 miles on it at the time. I feel that I got a great deal ($17,500, and I live in the SF bay area).

I haven't had any of the problems that others have complained about (shaking mirrors, leaking, rotors), and wanted people to know there are some very satisfied owners out here.

My gas mileage was not good after the first fill-up, 22 mpg, and mostly highway miles. Now my car has 1814 miles on it, and is getting almost 27 mpg. It has been getting better every other fill-up.

If you love the car, don't be discouraged, buy it, I have the feeling most people don't write here unless they are experiencing problems and need advice or support. If anyone else out there loves their Alero as much as me, write in, I can't be the only one can I?
  • munkyatpumunkyatpu Member Posts: 8
    I've ordered a sterling silver Alero GLS 8 weeks ago and my dealer has notified me that it will take another 4 weeks until I take delivery. Does anyone know why it's taking so long? I heard that they have been cutting back production at the Lansing plant but I'm not exactly sure.
  • dcnwsdcnws Member Posts: 12
    I bought a 2001 Ruby GL2 two weeks ago, and am very happy with it. A great car for my teenage daughter. My only disappointment is with the dealership. Was insulted by the business manager who thought I was stupid for not taking a 5 year loan. (I already had financing lined up) It's been two weeks since I took it, and no contact from the dealer. Not even an email asking if I am a satisfied customer. But this is the place that didn't put any windshield wash in it at prep. I got a good price, but will not go back for service. Hope I don't have any serious problems that require warranty.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Don't worry, any Olds or GM dealer will honor your warranty should the Alero have a major problem.
  • zinc1zinc1 Member Posts: 133
    It looks like a cross between an Alero and an Intrigue. I posted pics on the Aurora Classic site, in the Gallery.
  • littlesuzlittlesuz Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2001 GLS the beginning of April. Around 600 miles I also had this horrible shuddering from the back of the car. It happened about 4 times. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. I think it may have been the gas? I'm putting middle grade in now and it hasn't happened since. I'm up to 1200 miles now. Other than that, I love this car!
  • mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    Does anyone out there own a manual Alero? If so, any input?
  • coalcrackercoalcracker Member Posts: 53
    I own a 2000 Alero, 4 door sedan, GL3. It has the v-6 engine. From day one I got 20-21 MPG in conservative suburbia driving and 30-31 MPG on the highway. I have never driven the car in the city. I now have over 13,000 miles on the car and I still get the same MPG. For those of you who are looking for improvement with stuff like breaking in the engine,etc., I say forget it. What you have is what you are stuck with. Enjoy the car.
    but I didn't get it until more than 2,000 miles were on the engine. It was pretty low at first and steadily improved.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    That's not entirely true. Mileage improved after a few tanks of gas on my mom's 99 Alero GL. It may be the case for some that there is no improvement, but my mom is quite happy with her mileage now.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    I bought a Ruby Red GL-2 5 spd. in late February. I've only driven it on weekends, and have only 1200 miles on it, but so far I've enjoyed it. It's very responsive, good back support in the seats, tight handling. I only have two issues, one more annoying than the other. First, the console assembly pieces don't seem to fit together nicely when viewing it from the side (before getting into the car). Of more importance, the shifter is balky going into 5th. On several occasions I have had to fight it into 5th, or have accidentally shifted back into 3rd. (I've been driving a standard for 14 years, so I don't think my technique is the issue.) Is this simply "the nature of the beast", or is it something I should have checked?
  • wuchifengwuchifeng Member Posts: 7
    Car: 2000 Alero GLS Sedan, 15000 miles

Driving home last night, the traffic on the highway was slowing down to
    less than 40mph so I pushed the hazard button to warn those behind
    me. Unfortunately, the hazard button proceeded to disappear into the
    dash board!!!! Upon later inspection, it seems that a rather large assembly
    for the hazard button is used and is held in place by a simple plastic
    clip. I found part of this clip on the floor of my Alero. Has anyone else
    had this ridiculous problem?

I think the car is great except for the fact that the cost cutting is starting
    to show. (I have warped rotors after only 15000 miles. My 1990 Camry,
    under similar driving conditions, went 100,000 miles before the rotors
    needed replacing)
  • tihayestihayes Member Posts: 1
    I own a midnight blue GL2 sedan with 5 speed. I have no problems whatsoever shifting into 5th. Shifting is smoooooth. I have 8000 miles on the car and still love it. But like everyone else, gas mileage is poor.
  • teragramteragram Member Posts: 7
    The Washington Post article mentioned earlier said that there is a shortage of Aleros due to the increased demand and GM's cutback in production. I ordered my 2001 Alero GX 5-spd on April 14 and was told that because they added it to the standard dealer order it would arrive in 2-3 weeks. Today marks my fourth week waiting. It's still too early to get annoyed with them, but last they checked, it was still "in production."

To make matters worse, GM will be converting its plant over to build the 2002 models in mid-August. If you're not plannning on taking the car off the lot, you better put your orders in this month.

Anyone in the mood for a scary story? In 1986, my parents ordered a base-model *5-spd* Plymouth Voyager minivan. Because it was completely stripped (no side-view mirrors, AM radio only, no AC, cost less than $10,000), the factory never thought anyone would ever actually order it, and it refused to build it when my parents bought one. They waited for literally 9 months before it was delivered! The whole time, the dealer kept telling them that if they upgraded to the $13,000 model they could take it right off the lot and forget the whole thing. Ironically, I'm driving that rattletrap minivan while I wait for my new Alero to come in.

I don't know what the moral is, but just remember: it could always be worse.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    My parents also purchased a Voyager around 1987 and even though they did not order the base model with no options, I do remember that Chrysler was being fussy and only building certain "popular" configurations. My parents wanted an all-wheel-drive short-wheelbase model with the rear captains seats, and even though it was a legitimate configuration, Plymouth would not build it. The dealer ended up swapping the seats out with another unit on their lot. What a pain.

Hang in with the Alero. I think if it came in four weeks that would be good but GM orders seem to average six to nine weeks (I've ordered three GM vehicles over the past ten years). They can usually build it two or three weeks after it is ordered, but then it takes some time to be shipped and that is not always an efficient process, I found out. I ordered a Pontiac Bonneville last year and it arrived exactly four weeks after the dealer put the order in, so I was quite pleased with that one.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Anyone lease their vehicle? A '01 GL1 w/engine upgrade and feature pkg would run about 17K (w/rebate). Any ideas what residuals are, and what a 36 month lease might cost. Thx for any assistance.
    With Olds demise now know, their resale has taken a hit and this affects leasing prices. Your best bet would be to take advantage of the low finance rates Olds is currently running.
  • ttammttamm Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 Alero Gx a month ago...and have noticed a leak in the passengers side just behind the seat...has anyone else has this problem?
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Thx for the info. Is those financing rates in addition to the rebate, or must you choose one or the other? BTW, I love the Alero--it's looks, handling, and power. I think I like it even better than some of the near luxury cars such as the TL.
    The low financing rates in in place of the rebates, however you should still be able to get the car at a good price(like 1-2% over invoice) and then get the financing. You'll probably save more in interest if you go the low APR route than you would in rebates if you financed through a bank.