Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'd love to give you my opinion on how the 2007 Elantra drives and handles, and thanks for asking, but I haven't driven it yet. I have a personal policy on test driving cars, when it's not likely I'll buy one in the near future: if the sales rep asks if I'd like to drive the car, I drive it. If they don't, I don't. What I might do is stop into my local dealer on a slow day and see if they mind if I take one out. Or maybe they'll have an Elantra open house, like they did for the 2006 Sonata.

Another option, which I strongly recommend to you before you trade your 2005 Elantra on a 2007, is to rent the new Elantra for a couple of days. In the past, Enterprise and Hertz carried Elantras. I don't know if they have any 2007s, but it's worth a try. You'll certainly want to at least take one for a long test drive, over the kinds of roads you typically drive on. Try driving your GLS over the course immediately after you drive the new Elantra.

I haven't read that the new Elantra is noisier or harsher-riding than the old Elantra. I did see that in a six-car comparo by C/D, the new Elantra was the quietest at idle and 70 mph cruise (that was the stick car; the automatic is most likely even quieter at cruise). The engine with a stick is supposed to make some racket over 72 mph, but I wonder if that's a really loud engine or a moderately loud engine in an otherwise quiet car? As for ride, I've heard a mix of praise (e.g. compliance over potholes) and complaints (C/D said "tippy-floaty"). What I expect to find is a little firmer ride than the old GLS sedan but not as firm as the old Elantra GT and GLS hatch.
  • Options
    nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    What is the best price I can expect to get from the dealer
    as a trade in of my 2005 Elantra GLS, Moonlight Blue?

mileage - 23,500
    condition- MINT, both interior and exterior
    rear spolier
    tires wearing perfectly even all around
    all schedule maintenance performed
  • Options
    Check out the TMV at Edmunds.com, also kbb.com and nada.com and those can give you some ballpark idea. Also look at local ads including newspaper and online selling services.
  • Options
    tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    You might also want to ask in the "Real World Trade-In Value" forum, somewhere on these boards.
  • Options
    How difficult is it to negotiate free oil change for life,
    or at least the first 60,000 miles on a 07 Elantra?
  • Options
    acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    60,000 miles / 7,500 miles = 8 oil changes. Each $25 value. So 60,000 miles free oil change is a $200 value. I don't think it's hard to ask them to throw in a $200 item.
  • Options
    Some dealers actually include free oil changes for life with every new car sale. When I bought my '04 Elantra, there was a sales issue that I brought to the attention of the sales manager, so to "make it up" to me (and maybe to prevent a consumer fraud investigation ;) ) he tossed in free scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years.

The key is... you can always ask for anything.
  • Options
    spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Nodule,

See post #82 in the "2007 Elantra - First Impressions" forum which has my impressions on comparing the 07 Elantra GLS with the 05 Elantra GT. I also own a 05 Kia Spectra EX.
  • Options
    jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
  • Options
    How can I tell if my 2005 Elantra is the regular GLS or the
    SULEV GLS??

Thanks!
  • Options
    It should say something on the window sticker and also under the hood, on the sticker re emissions controls. Also if you didn't buy it in CA or one of the other CAFE states, it's most likely NOT SULEV.

The 2007 Elantra, OTOH, is available as a PZEV in the CAFE states! :)
  • Options
    Under the hood SULEV should be stamped on the intake manifold in black lettering. Thats whats on my 05 Elantra GT and my 05 Kia Spectra EX.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    5,307 Elantra sold in November 2006.

Unknown how many were 2007 and how many were 2006 models.
    6,081 were sold in November 2005.
    Hyudai blamed the shortage of Elantra's due to strike as the reason for lower sales.
  • Options
    Hyundai sales we down 14.9% in November compared to November of 2005. Hope this is not a trend. On the other hand, sister division Kia was up over 10% compared to November last year.

Hyundai of Santa Ana and Hyundai of Irvine in California have a ton of 07 Elantra GLS and a few SEs on their lots. No Limited's in sight though. I know back in October Santa Ana Hyundai had a Limited.
  • Options
    butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    We can't be suprised that the numbers are down considering that 07 Elantras are hard to find. I've been looking for an 07 SE or LTD to test drive but there are not any available!! A few 06 Elantras available but not 07s. Well I'll just have to wait!! :):D
  • Options
    Here is southern CA we have a lot of 06 and 07 Elantras at most dealerships I have been to. It doesn't seem to be the lack of 07 or 06 around here. I think its more to do possibly with the auto industry as a whole, competition, higher prices for the 07 Elantra, lack of good rebates or any on the 06 and 07 respectively.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    It should be noted while HMA had a declining month, HMC actually enjoyed a great November (global-wise). :) The trend is likely to continue for HMA in December, given last year Hyundai USA moved 20K units of the Sonata, and as a result, I am not sure if HMA is able to achieve the same figure. As for the Elantra, indeed short supply, along with the Accent (while some dealers might have allocations, most dealers only have a few units on hand).

From sales standpoint, HMA should finish the year with a modest gain, although not as high as targeted (do keep in mind the scandal and the strike have both affected production at a great deal).

And, the new Hyundai Elantra is priced about the same as the outgoing model (but overall more features and equipment), with starting MSRP actually lower. Trims and options are in line as well with the 06 Elantra.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Sales are down, with the probable exception of Honda and Toyota, across the board. I have a very good friend who is a salesman for a Dodge/Jeep dealer, and he is having a very bad month - after, a very bad year.

Our local Toyota dealer has over 20 Toyota Prius models in stock at the moment, and the Prius used to fly off dealer lots.

I think the economy is not as good as Washington wants us to believe. Plus, December is always a rough time for the new car industry, as most everyone is spending money they haven't earned yet on Christmas shopping. Conversely, that's what makes December a great time to buy a car. Dealers will deal at this time of the year.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Yeah sales are down this past month in the US, almost across the board. The domestics did okay, actually (at least two out three) thank god - but DCX had huge incentives and still boats loads of 06 inventory. Toyota seemed to be doing everything right, and Honda actually, just barely had a gain for Nov., less than one percentage point, if I recall.

Alright, back to Elantra...

:)
  • Options
    I think it's more accurate to say that the 2007 Elantra's pricing is in line with pricing for the 2006s, if you consider the additional equipment on the 2007s. If you just look at the prices, ignoring the stripped base GLS that doesn't have A/C or stereo, the 2007s cost more. But when you factor in features on the 2007s (depending on trim line) such as the side curtains, standard ABS, telescopic wheel with audio and cruise controls, nicer gauges, XM radio with aux imput, fog lamps, interior convenience features, CD changer etc., they compensate for the higher prices. Plus you get a roomier car with better fuel economy.
  • Options
    The NHTSA seems to think so. I wonder if an announcement from Hyundai is in the works?

http://www.safercar.gov/pages/ESC-EquippedVehicles-2007.html

Here is some reinforcement of that idea:

Hyundai is working on getting a stability control system added to the Elantra.

http://tinyurl.com/yhtyqe

ESC is already available on the Elantra outside the U.S., so it would be easy to bring it here.
  • Options
    In Southern California as I mentioned the supply of Elantras are plentiful so I don't think its due to supply problems in this region. In fact Limited's are now showing up. I just got a call from a fleet manager at a local dealership wanting to make a deal on an 07. 2 other dealerships have also called about SEs they want to move.

I think one of the problems that Hyundai faces is that the Elantra is now priced so high that it is in competition with the its bigger brother the Sonata. Hyundai needs to increase rebates on 06s and 07s to move inventory.

Case in point. A friend last week bought an 07 Sonata GLS auto with option package 3 (moonroof, etc.) for 17000 before TTL. From the same dealer he was also quoted for an 07 Elantra SE auto with package 5 for 16500. The $500 more for the Sonata was well worth it since he got a more roomier car, more power, safer (larger mass) and more worth while equipment for him and family such a power drivers seat and better trip computer.
  • Options
    Agreed. Toyota had a great month (> 14%). They seem to be doing everything right. Honda increased sales also but not by much (< 5%)

The auto industry as a whole is in a slight decline due to a lot of companies having the wrong product such as large SUVs and such.

One of the LA dealers has also over 20 Prius. In fact, a lot of Honda dealers here also have 2 or more Honda Civic Hybrids. Both of these cars can be had for under MSRP now.

For Hyundai to increase market share they will need to start offering rebates on 07 Elantra. A lot has changed in 2 years since I bought my 05 Elantra GT. I bought it on Jan 3rd 2005 for 12800 out the door including TTL (tax is 7.75%). This car MSRP was just around 17000 for the options I got (moonroof, ABS, TCS, auto, mud guards, floor mats).
  • Options
    The 2007 Elantra just started shipping in quantities last month. The usual tactic by Hyundai on an all-new model is to see what the market will bear for awhile, then apply rebates if needed. That's what happened with the Sonata, the Azera, and the Accent. I think we'll see rebates come early in 2007. As you noted, the real-world difference between the Sonata GLS and Elantra SE is not enough right now.

But you are unlikely to see a deal like you got on your '05 GT (about $5700 off MSRP or so) on the 2007 Elantra. It's a much more competitive and desirable car now.
  • Options
    joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Wow! Great buy on that '05 GT. I'd have paid that OTD in a heartbeat with all the equipment yours has. Now how about an '07 hatchback with all that? I wish. And for a similar discount off MSRP as you got yours for.
  • Options
    Yes. I got a great deal. Thats was one of the reasons I bought it. I was kinda of looking that day but wasn't really commited to buying anything new as my car at the time was only 2 years old (2003 Suzuki Aerio SX) but I decided to give a shot at negotiating a deal. When all was said and done we arrived at the price of 12800. I got a lot of car for the price (has all options available on GT at the time).
  • Options
    delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    It looks like the GLS Elantra with the preferred option 3 has everything the SE has except 16" wheels and the telescoping leather wrapped steering wheel with audio controls.

How do the 16" wheels impact how the Elantra rides compared to the 15" wheels?
    -Would it be quieter?
    -Ride smoother?
    -Anything else?

Thanks

Berto
  • Options
    The GLS lacks a couple of other features of the SE, notably the trip computer and leather/metal trim shifter (rubber stick shift on GLS looks kind of cheap compared to the SE's, IMO).

If anything, the 15" wheels should ride quieter and smoother because the sidewalls are taller. The 16" wheels should handle better, however. Why not test both and let us know what you think?
  • Options
    delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    Wow. I don't mind paying the extra for the SE as opposed to the GLS with package 03 but I would hate to pay more money and get louder less smooth ride. 98% of my driving is on freeways or other roads where the paving is at best good and most of the time in need of repair. 2% of my driving (in a 2006 Elantra 5 speed 5 door) is driving probably a little too fast on ramps going from one freeway to another so I can "experience the handling".

I would want to optimize my purchase to get the smoothest quietest ride which based on your input would be the GLS with 15" wheels. BTW, I'm not questioning your premise.

I agree testing both of them is probably the wise choice.

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    To me, 16" wheels just look better (more sporty looking). I doubt there is any significant difference in driving experience.
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    I'm guessing you purchased a GLS with the manual tranny, no? What options were included? The price of $12,800 was including trade-in? If so, what was the price before trade? Did you get a fair price for the trade?

IMO, I would buy the GLS with 15" wheels. Cheaper to replace and I would buy a set of rims of my choosing than to have the same boring factory alloys. I do mostly city driving back and forth to work. I always ask myself, "Do I really need this?" Like why buy a V6 when I do very little highway miles? But need room for wife, 3 kids, and me.

I checked the fueleconomy website and under 2007 family sedans list sorted by MPG(city). First is Toyota's Prius, second Camry hybrid, third Hyundai Elantra auto! Sounds like it's the perfect economy family sedan!

I'm disappointed with the IIHS.org not finishing testing for the 2007 Elantra! Why just test frontal and not finish the side and rear! I noticed the Kia Optima, which rides on an extended platform of the Elantra, has frontal and rear done, which are both rated GOOD. Why not finish the SIDE testing? The results have been up for months! :mad: :mad: :mad: I wish they would finish their testing!

I would buy the GLS with option 3 over the SE and save $$$! I'm waiting for the hatch version. Any news on release date?
  • Options
    Look at some back posts. His was bought on Jan 3, 2005. It was an '05 GT automatic, loaded, for $12,800 including tax, title, license (and doc fee?).
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Your question re IIHS testing was sort of answered in another discussion in which you posted the same question, but in short, the IIHS allows automakers to do their own frontal test in certain circumstances. That's why the frontal test results on the 2007 Elantra were available so quickly. The IIHS is pretty slow about doing and releasing test results on cars, so who knows how long we'll have to wait for the IIHS side and rear test results on the Elantra? :(
  • Options
    twixieanntwixieann Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if I am in the right forum or not but I just had a quick question for you Elantra owners. I am looking into getting the new 2007 model but on all the pictures I have noticed that the interior and the dashboard is beige on the bottom and grey/black on the top. Is is possible to get it all grey/black on the inside I'm not to fond on the whole two-tone thing. If anyone knows please let me know, thanks!
  • Options
    Light grey (with black dash and some of the door trim) is available with several exterior colors. All-black is a choice with the SE (cloth) and Limited (leather). You can see these choices in the Elantra brochure that is available as a PDF file at the hyundaiusa.com site--same brochure that's at dealers in paper form.
  • Options
    twixieanntwixieann Member Posts: 3
    Ok thanks! So if I get the SE model with black cloth seats I can get the dash all black as well?
  • Options
    Here is a photo of the black interior. The dash appears to be all black:

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2006/08/2007-hyundai-elantra.html

Also, Hyundai's own press releases highlight the "monotone black interior" available on the SE.

Maybe someone who has seen the black interior in person, or who owns one, can tell you more.
  • Options
    zoomandyzoomzoomandyzoom Member Posts: 19
    Although the all-black dash is attractive, especially with black seating surfaces, the Elantra pictured on the link you posted is not U.S.-spec. If you look closely, you'll note that it has fender-mounted turn signal repeater lights, as well as automatic climate control, neither of which is available in the U.S. (unfortunately). Hopefully this doesn't mean that the all-black dash isn't available in the U.S., either!
  • Options
    Yes, I noticed that also, but I also understand what "monotone" means. In a black interior, it should mean "all black." That's why I posted the photo. ;)
  • Options
    I recently test drove the new 2007 Kia Spectra EX sedan...
    VERY nice looking car! Would the build quality and long
    term relibility be the same as the Elantra? I really dont like
    the body style of the new 07 Elantra, but I love the sleek
    styling of the new 07 Kia Spectra EX!
    Id surely apprecaiate everyones thoughts here!
  • Options
    You should get what you like. Personally, I prefer the Elantra because:

* Standard ABS
    * Standard active front head restraints
    * Better IIHS crash test score (based on 2006 Spectra)
    * Roomier
    * Nicer interior
    * Telescopic wheel (SE and Limited) and more comfortable driving position for me
    * Standard XM radio and aux input (maybe 2007 Spectra has an aux input?)
    * Better EPA fuel economy
    * More options available, e.g. high-zoot stereo, moonroof in all trim lines, heated seats
    * Higher predicted resale value (Hyundai is better than Kia in general)
    * Better predicted reliability (Hyundai is better than Kia in general)
    * and... I can get the Hyundai owner's loyalty rebate!

Also I prefer the swoopier styling of the Elantra to that of the Spectra.
  • Options
    Hi Backy..thanks for responding.
    I understand I should get what I like, however I was asking
    about long term relibility and build quality. I think they
    are essentially the same cars, same parts, engine, transmission, etc. Have you seen or driven the new 2007 Spectra yet? Its have been updated with a more upscale
    interior and some exterior styling.
    Is there any hard documented facts that the Elantra would
    be a better built and more reliable car?
  • Options
    Historically, per JD Power reliability studies, Kia still trails Hyundai in general. Since the 2007 Elantra is a new design (except engine, which is a tweaked Beta engine) and the Spectra has been updated, they may have different reliability/build quality than history would predict. But history is on the side of the Elantra. For someone buying one of these cars now, history is all you have.

BTW, they are NOT essentially the same cars. The powertrains are similar but have some differences (note the different EPA ratings for example), they are built in different factories (goes to build quality and potentially reliability), and have different bodies and interiors. I am not even sure the chassis are the same; I've seen conflicting reports about that. I looked at pics of the 2007 Spectra at kia.com the other day and it didn't look much different outside or inside from the 2006 Spectra. The radio looks different, but the dash looks the same otherwise. Outside, I was struggling to see the difference with the 2006 Spectra.

Even if the two cars were equal in reliability and build quality, I would take the Elantra for the reasons I listed earlier. Did you know, for example, that you can't get ABS on anything other than the top-trim Spectra for 2007? That's ridiculous for a compact car in 2007, IMO. Also, did you know that a Spectra that has ABS, 16" alloys, cruise control, foglamps, and leather wheel/shifter (ala the Elantra SE), costs almost $1000 more than the Elantra--before any loyalty rebates? I find it hard to justify paying more for a Spectra than an Elantra when the Spectra is missing some of the Elantra's features that I like (such as active front head restraints, trip computer, and telescopic wheel).
  • Options
    Nodule,

This is from a owner who owns both cars. I have both a 2005 Elantra GT and a 2005 Spectra EX very much similarly equiped (auto, moonroof, alloys, etc). Elantra does have leather and ABS which Spectra does not. I have had 0 problems on the Spectra to date and it has 29K miles in 1.5 years. I have had only one minor problem with the 2005 Elantra GT which was a blown headlight and I have 37K miles on it in 2 years. Spectra has much better gas mileage than the Elantra and its EPA is rated higher. Actually, EPA is nice and find for comparison but realworld driving the Spectra is consistently beats the Elantra by 2 mpg overall on a weekly basis. Trip computer is not very accurate on Elantra.

You are right that Spectra and Elantra share many of the same components. They do share essentially the same unibody frame and most of the suspension components. The SX and 5 are much better tuned for sporting handling than Elantra GT or the new SE.

I have seen the 07 Spectra and I am very impressed with the updates they did to the interior - I really like the gauge changes they did and the HVAC controls look much classier. I actually prefer the older exterior than the current updates such but styling is completely subjective.

I can tell you that between the 3 cars (07 Elantra, 05 Elantra and 05 Spectra) the 05 Spectra and 07 Elantra are equal in ride and noise isolation with the 05 trailing.

I personally don't think you can go wrong with getting a Spectra if that is what you want. I have comtemplated on getting a Spectra 5 from time to time since I really like the way it drives.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    The '05 Spectra seems more like the '07 Elantra, not the '05 Elantra. The Kia came out in the US with that new Spectra before the current generation Elantra was sold in the US. The current Spectra and Elantra are just about the same size but the previous generation Elantras are smaller inside for passengers.
    The '07 Elantra is rated significantly higher in MPG than the '05 Elantra.
  • Options
    Yes, the engineers at Kia did exactly what they did at
    Hyundai. They tweaked the engine a bit and raised the
    estimated city MPG to 27, while the new Elantra is 28...
    pretty much even, in my book!
    Yes..the new interior is MUCH nicer in the 2007 Spectra
    compared to the 2006 Spectra...chrome door pulls, leather
    arm rest, classy looking HVAC controls...very similar to the
    2007 Elantra.
    The body styling is much more classy looking that the
    girlish, fem looking body style of the 2007 Elantra. Thats my
    opinion!
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    The current Spectra and Elantra are just about the same size but the previous generation Elantras are smaller inside for passengers.

To be honest I sat in one a while ago and it seemed slightly more cramped inside than my '00 wagon.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ... girlish, fem looking body style of the 2007 Elantra ...

I'll bet you think cars like Jaguars and Corvettes are "girlish, fem looking" also because of their flowing lines. ;)

Better run out and get one of those macho-looking (but feature-poor and overpriced) Spectras!

BTW, does the 2007 Spectra have electronic steering (for a smoother steering feel and improved fuel economy) and standard 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS on all trim lines as does the 2007 Elantra? I would expect that it does if in fact Kia's engineers did exactly what they did at Hyundai.
  • Options
    Wow Backy....you are quite a defensive guy! As I previously
    stated, the styling is just my opinion. However, it is the
    opinions of many others, just go to www.elantraxd.com and
    read the posts about the 2007 Elantra and you will see the
    vast disappointment that many of those members have about
    the styling. However, this, of course, is highly subjective
    and if you love the styling....god bless you!
    There is no need to be a wise guy here.
This discussion has been closed.