Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Hyundai Elantra

1252627282931»

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So my '04 Elantra has a 10-way driver's seat. Cool. But Hyundai only claims 8. Guess they are being modest. Bet that Genesis will have a 26-way seat or something like that. :)
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Yeah , I heard about the Elantra Hatchback due out in March

Only the wagon will be sold in US, we do not get the hatchback.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/video/2505032/

I just noticed they made their review video open to anyone. (no need for subscription)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/video.htm?bctid=1405714084
  • Options
    scc1233scc1233 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to change the cabin air filter. I don't know where my manual is so I'm a little lost. I just got a filter from my buddy who works in the after market trade and he didn't know how to do it either, so I'm asking if anyone knows how to do it drop me a line and help me save a few bucks.

Thanks,

Steve
  • Options
    palal1palal1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Steve, if it is the filter I am thinking of, it is also called the climate control filter, and is located behind your glovebox. First, open your glovebox, on the right outside part of the box there is a support rod that needs to be disconnected. It is just a small snap holding it on. Next, on the inside of the glovebox you will see two rectangular stoppers that need to be removed, they just pull outward, but you will need to partially close the glovebox while pulling on the stoppers. They pull completely out through the opening including the little rubber piece that is attached. Now the glovebox should hang down freely. Now up on the top there will be a plastic filter cover that also easily snaps out. Next pull out the filter. Make sure you put the new filter in with the arrow facing down. Follow the steps in the reverse order to put the glovebox back in place.

It is funny, I was just messing with mine today because I am going to the dealer tommorow for a 15,000 mile checkup and i don't want them to try and charge me to replace this filter. I will change this one myself.
    About six months ago, while getting an oil change, the guys at Jiffy Lube mentioned that this filter needed to be changed, and they would do it for $55 bucks. What a joke and a ripoff. I am glad I told them no.
    Hopefully this was of some help to you. Let me know.
    AL
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    My driver's seat seems to snap into place each time I sit down in it. The dealer said nothing was wrong throughout the warranty period. Now that I am out of warranty (2001 with 80,000 miles) the dealer says there is a problem. I have a file number with Hyundai about the seat that was entered before warranty expiration but that is another story. My questions:

1. Does anyone else have a loose seat? I recall the Elantra back then failed the offset crash test and the driver's seat came loose off the track.
    2. Where can you get one wholesale? I tried a number of recycle places but no one had one. New seat cushion and track is over $800 for the parts alone.
    3. Does anyone know if all Elantra GT driver's seats and tracks regardless of year or hatch or sedan are the same? (gray leather).

Thanks!
  • Options
    Since you have a record of a complaint while the warranty was in force, I would pursue this "up the chain" as far as you can to get the repair covered.

As to whether the seats and tracks are the same for all years of the Elantra, one thing I know is that there was a change made to the seat tracks after the poor IIHS frontal offset crash test results on the '01 Elantra. There was information posted in Town Hall back in 2002 I think from a Hyundai insider in the ROK that new tracks (longer, stronger) had been put into Elantras (think it was for 2002 MY) for the ROK market, but not for the U.S. market. I blew a gasket on hearing that and wrote a letter to HMA's president (which to their credit I did get a call about). Anyway, as you know the 2004 Elantra was refreshed and got a Good score on the IIHS frontal offset test. So that leads me to believe there were some tweaks to the seats/tracks no later than 2004 MY. This insider (haven't heard from him in quite awhile) also said that the new tracks should be applicable to older Elantras. I suppose one thing you could do if you are so inclined is to check the part numbers for the seat tracks on the 2001 and 2004 Elantras and see if there is a difference, and if so order ask the dealer about installing them.

Anyway, you might not want to assume the problem is in the seat itself--it might be fixable just with the tracks, or other adjustments.

P.S. the seat on my 2004 GT is still solid, and moves only if I am not careful in adjusting the fore/back setting and making sure it's locked into place.
  • Options
    fishmonger2fishmonger2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested also. I was just in to my local dealership and they want $100.00 to change it. If I can do myself...Great!!!!!!!! :)
  • Options
    smsdgsmsdg Member Posts: 2
    Hi..Where did you buy the 2007 Hyundai Elantra Cabin Air Filter? I can't find it. My local dealership want $93.00 to change it. Thanks.
  • Options
    smsdgsmsdg Member Posts: 2
    Where can I buy 2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS Cabin Air Filter? Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks, Backy. My dealer's parts manager says there are over a dozen different seat tracks for Elantras. He also told me that of all the cars he has driven Hyundai has more seat track play than any other model and he thought it had something to do with safety and air bag deployment but I wasn't buying that one remembering the offset crash test failure report when we were posting 7 years ago and that in one of the tests, the seat came off the track. A new track is $500 and he is convinced that is the issue. Can't find one recycled anywhere.

On another note, for some reason I decided to have a preventive maintenance done on my A/C at the dealer (80,000 miles on the 01 GT and never an A/C issue so go figure) and drove out to hear an occasional loud shreik like a locomotive whistle coming from the A/C (the did add refrigerant). The dealer diagnosed it as a bad blower motor ($250) but after that dubious repair, I still heard the noise. A mechanic rode with me and decided it was likely something done to the expansion valve during the servicing saying that a noise like that could only come from a lot of air passing through something. (I actually tape recorded the noise over a few days with a cheap portable tape recorder). It is at the dealer today and I can't wait to see the outcome---what was wrong, who did it, why I needed a blower motor, who owes who what, etc.

The mechanic also referenced a new hatchback coming in 09---I didn't hear this----that isn't the above referenced touring edition is it? I don't think so.

Thanks again for the post.
  • Options
    A new track is $500???? Where did you hear that? The Hyundai insider who told us about this issue a few years ago stated the price of the part at that time, and I recall it was very inexpensive, around $10 or maybe less. I can't fathom how a small piece of bent metal could be $500.

The Elantra Touring is the "hatchback" (some call it a wagon) coming later this year.
  • Options
    johne8408johne8408 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Cabin Air Filter for my 2007 Elantra at the dealership (cost: about $22.00) and then asked a mechanic at the dealership to show me how to install it. My dealership wanted $89.95 for this 2-minute job. The filer is behind the glove box. To drop the glove box, open it and squeeze both sides hard. The box will drop. Then go to the right-hand side of the box and detach the rubber line that is attached to a small plastic piece that protrudes from the side of the glove box. The box will drop further. Now, look up toward the top of the dashboard (behind the glove box) and you'll see a black strip. Squeeze (pinch) the right-hand side of the strip and remove it. Then, remove the old filter (it's kind of flimsy, so you may have to work at it) and install the new filter. I'm going to keep the old filter and here's why: Next time, I'm going to go to Home Depot and but a pleated furnace filter and use the old filter as a template to cut a new Cabin Air Filter. I should be able to get multiple Cabin Air Filters from one furnace filter.
  • Options
    I heard that straight from the parts department at my Hyundai dealer when he looked it up. I tried finding one from auto parts wholesalers but haven't had any luck with my model yet. Is the new touring edition similar to the Kia C'eed or something sounding like that? I kind of like the compactness and the height of the Rondo so I am eager to see what the touring edition brings to the table.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    More like the C'eed than Rondo.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's a link to info from Hyundai on the Elantra Touring model...

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2009_Models/Elantra_Touring/Press_Release.asp
  • Options
    ginns5ginns5 Member Posts: 16
    My wife figured this out, the procedure listed is correct.but we found that we need to change it more often than required.Takes about 5 minutes to do.They could make it easier to disassemble, that is for sure.
  • Options
    leonfamleonfam Member Posts: 21
    So, the Civic forums saved me from an ill-informed (dare I say impulsive) purchase of a 2006 Civic..over-priced, too.

I'm not really seeing a consistent "theme" of what to watch out for in the 2007 Elantra. I'm considering a used one (prior rental) and am seeing if I can overcome my conditioning for reliable brands..such as Toyota and Honda.

Any tips for what to be careful of...or even just informed about..before making the leap would be appreciated.
    :)
  • Options
    There's really not much to watch out for on the 2007 Elantra--they have proven to be reliable and (based on used car prices) desirable cars. One thing to note is the early 2007s did NOT have XM radio. You can tell pretty easily if it does--it will have a roof antenna vs. a stick antenna on the rear fender.

You might also look for a 2006-8 Sonata GLS I4. The price might actually be a little less than the Elantra, for comparable miles, and the FE is not that much lower than the Elantra. And the Sonata has the important advantage of ESC, which was not added to the Elantra until 2008 and then only on the rare SEs. A lot of the used Sonatas have power seats too.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Just wanted to say that I have a 2000 Elantra wagon with 153+K miles. So far it has been running almost perfectly. The only issue I have had was a cracked exhaust manifold at about 120K miles. Turns out Hyundai got a bad batch of exhaust manifolds that was susceptible to cracking. They replaced it free of charge.

Daughter has a 2002 Elantra wit 102k miles and has had to only change the radiator.

Happy with the car, hope to have it a few more years with it and happy with Hyundai. They have earned my repeat business.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    leonfamleonfam Member Posts: 21
    Did a little reading on the Sonata. I'm surprised by the statement from backy re mpg. Sonata at 23 and Elantra at 27. And appears that Elantra has capability for much higher. (see the realworld mpg forum). Am I mis-reading the info in CR?
  • Options
    The difference in EPA ratings is pretty small, especially on the highway rating. I think the 2008 Elantra is 25/33 and the 2009 Sonata I4 is 22/32. So especially on the highway there is little difference. If you drive a lot of miles in town, it could be a significant difference.

Note also that to my knowledge CR has not yet tested the 2009 Sonata, which has improved fuel economy for both the I4 and V6. For example, the 2009 I4 has a 5AT vs. a 4AT on the 2006-8.
  • Options
    ArthurM8ArthurM8 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Elantra 5-speed w/ XM just about a year ago. I just hit 10,000K and have had no problems. My only issue is that the ride is not as smooth as I would like. I live in a small city with some bad streets, and I feel every bump. Shifting also seems like it could be smoother. Otherwise it's been quite nice.
This discussion has been closed.