Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• ray hray h Member Posts: 120
    Rebates, schmeebates - Hyundai (and every other mass market car manufacturer) will do whatever it takes to sell cars. Also where do you armchair marketing mavens get the idea that the manufacturers care one wit about resale value? Used car lots care about resale value. New car sales people care about resale value. Owners trying to unload their old cars on unsuspecting schmoes care about resale value. Manufacturers care about running their factories at capacity, selling new cars before they pile up on the docks and sink the pier, and keeping their stockholders happy. Rebates are NOT about selling a product at a loss. Rebates are a tacit admission of what the manufacturers' bean counters have calculated the car is really worth if forced to sell at a minimal sustainable profit to keep the factories humming and the happy-merry workers from rioting.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Manufacturers care about resale value because it is a factor that influences car buying behavior. High resale value is generally considered to be desirable by car buyers. The most common reason I see as to why people will not consider buying a Hyundai is, "poor resale value." (Used to be "poor quality," but that has changed over the past 2-3 years.)
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    Ray, surely you jest? I suppose given your irrational exhuberant tirade that if one should be pre-disposed to accept your outlandish theory that "...manufacturers care one wit about resale value?" then Hondas and Toyotas should be offered at firesale prices and to hell with their bottom lines...just keep the factories humming eh? Obviously you know from 'experience' that high re-sale value does little to drive sales right? Right.

ah em, Ray, me thinks you've been enhaling too much plasma dust. lol.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    plasma dust? LOL!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please see this ongoing conversation:
    The future of incentives

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Bullfeathers. I never said that the auto manufacturers do not care about the bottom line. I said there was a minimum bottom line they can live with and that would be reflected in their rebate strategies. A second tier manufacturer such as Hyundai won't hesitate to rebate the 2006 Sonatas if it means keeping Asan humming and selling cars. There are obviously marketing types employed by the auto manufacturer who track QC and buyer preferences. I'd be surprised to learn there's a Resale Value Committee pouring over the latest updates from Kelley Blue Book to make marketing decisions. And if there is, so what? Like Hyundai would suddenly decide at a board meeting to increase car prices to compensate for past rebates? Right, that'll work. (If propsective buyers only grudgingly buy the things while there are rebates, where's the logic in presuming they'd flock to 'em with a price increase?) I still maintain that resale value is determined by desirability which in turn is directly determined by reliability and somewhat less predictably by the qualities of styling trends, presumed status, etc. - each of which perception can change according to public tastes surprisingly quickly sometimes. Nissan, Honda, and Toyota didn't achieve their current exalted status by refusing to rebate their cars. They achieved it by earning that status over time with quality products. Hyundai's better than it once was, but considering how bad the company's products were, that's not saying much yet. Hyundai "receives" a J.D. Powers initial quality award (which implies NOTHING about long-term reliability) and suddenly in knee-jerk fashion, the armchair quarterbacks confidently announce the perceived-value millennium's arrived for Hyundai. Yeah, right. By the time most owners get down to the dirties of trading off or selling their current rides, no one gives a rat's derriere whether that model was or wasn't subject to rebates when originally purchased. delta4, what's with the "inhaling too much plasma dust" crack? Is arguing a point civilly so hard for you that you feel a need to resort to a snide personal attack? In any event, fellas, as long as I keep reading wild-eyed speculation on this forum, I'll keep right on countering it. Start likin' it.
    And with that, this line of conversation ends.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    While the blathering was going on, I took the time to investigate the Sonata.

If you go to this site http://www.hyundai-motor.com/common/html/showroom/e_catalog/nfs01- - - /sonata.html you will find lots of info. Works best in IE6.

One a side note, Hyundai's site is one of the very best for detailed pictures and layout.

It will be interesting to see if this new Sonata has a much larger interior size over the old model.

One thing I did not like was the shift gate design. I have seen this on other cars and just do not understand why this would be an advantage over a straigh pull back?
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    These are designed as a saftey measure to counter the once-problem Audi "shift into drive by mistake" feature of the 70-80's which nearly destroyed Audi.

Now they are almost commonplace in upscale vehicles and transmissions which have a manual shift feature.

GregC
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Awesome link, thank you so much, Im VERY VERY interested in this vehicle.

~alpha
    Hyundai Sonata I've ever seen. I thought I liked the currently sold design a lot after just seeing it on the net but after seeing it in person it didn't work for me. This new one looks great on pixel.

• astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    "I thought I liked the currently sold design a lot after just seeing it on the net but after seeing it in person it didn't work for me."

I was of the exact same opinion. I still prefer the '00 GLS my wife has. I like the black trim and rubber moldings better than the chrome...more European.

The new one does look like a true winner though, inside and out. Hyundai has always needed to work on their interiors from a cosmetics/materials standpoint and they seem to be getting it right now. Will be interesting to give it a real once over.
    Maybe it's the raggy old PC that I'm using, but I couldn't get any interior shots to come up. I think the exterior looks really sharp! However, I think the color selections are breathtakingly average. Why not more selections in blue, red, or green? There's brown, tan, and every shade of silver known to man.

I know it's a sedan, but I think that teal color is so 1993 Altima - I'd love to see updated colors on such a great looking car.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    "However, I think the color selections are breathtakingly average. Why not more selections in blue, red, or green?"

I thought the same thing . . . I feel like this happens a lot with some of the automotive manufacturers. They spent so much time on market analysis in designing the car . . . I'm surprised the conclusion was that limited array of colors. Oh well. Fortunately, for me, I like some of those limited colors. :)
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Ask Terry over in RWTIV. NSB and NSG are not food additives, no sale blue and no sale green. It might look good, but the market doesn't want it.
    My concerns will be interior size, comfort, quietness and quirkiness.

I liked the Ford Five Hundred in pictures but several things did not work for me in person. Small front wheelwell, uncomfortable rear seat and underpowered engine.

I hope the 2006 Sonata has the interior comfort I am looking for. The gadgets do not mean to much to me, but if it is comfortable and quite, then I would most likely buy it.

I drove a 2003 XG350 some time back and it was simply too small in the front. The steering wheel hit my legs. Additionally, I did not think it was very quite and it was under powered.
    Are you aware that Hyundais have adjustable steering columns?
    NSB and NSG are not food additives, no sale blue and no sale green. It might look good, but the market doesn't want it.

Then why bother with the teal, combining the worst of both worlds? :)
    I guess I was just looking for something more exciting than bright, light, dark, and muted gray or brown. It might look simply spiffing in a metallic red or light blue - I'm specifically thinking of some of the nice hues that are made available to Honda Civic Hybrid customers.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I don't recall seeing bright blues and reds and greens on Lexus and Acura sedans lately. I think that is the perception Hyundai is shooting for here--an upscale image vs. sporty. They'll leave the blues and reds to Kia probably. ;-)
    That's a heck of a big segment jump to make in one go. Check out the colors on the new RL right here - in addition to the standard colors, the opulent blue pearl & redondo red pearl add a bit of schnazz. And the Acura TL is offered in... yes... green! And have you looked at Lexus lately? Why, even on the GS, you'll see the standard plus some zippy colors. Can't link directly - you'll have to hit the "colors" button.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to slam the upcoming Sonata. I like it, and I think they've done a whole lot right. I just prefer a few more color options, and would be somewhat disappointed if they weren't available.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

But the Opulent Blue Pearl and Redondo red are hardly loud colors- they are very stately, IMO. The colors that backy is referring to are more like the crayon blue color thats offered on the Mazda 3, I believe. Or red like on the Civic.

~alpha
    Yes, right. But I agree with Kirstie, I like to see more color choices on cars--"very stately" though they may be. I've always liked steel blue, and I am a sucker for a medium cranberry red pearl that Honda and other makes offer.

Don't forget blaze orange. I saw that on a new Maxima the other day. I thought it looked quite bad--on that car anyway. Unless you are a U of Texas Longhorns fan perhaps.
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    I agree with you. The Sonata color selection seems very consistent with the Acura and Lexus citations. The Sonata does have a red and a blue option, and they're dark like the Acura and Lexus models. The only color it didn't have a match for was the dark green on the Acura, but then again the other two cited models didn't offer a green either.

In light of this I guess the Sonata colors are completely consistent with Hyundai's goals for this car. I was just ignorant about the reasons because I almost never look at Acura, Lexus or other luxury brands.
    including the brushed aluminum speedo and odo. I think that's a nice touch to today's dashes.

To each his own, right? Thats the ONE part of the interior that I do not care for. It doesnt improve legibility and doesnt look particularly upscale, IMO. I was relieved to see that the Camry SEs moved away from that setup for this year- the electroluminescent approach is much more sophisticated, less trendy, easier to read.

~alpha
    Good point. Never considered that. Perhaps the US Spec version may see an electrouminescent display? By-the-way, I just noticed that there is no radio in the interior shots showing the HVAC controls...or is it my imagination?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    That is not US-spec, so the one for the US could have a slighly changed interior with different gauges etc..
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The vehicle in the photos has a navigation system with the radio combined in the same screen (like the Camry with navigation).
    The nav system might not come to the US and even if it did, if you don't order it, then there would be a traditional radio
    Right. That makes sense. Probably the reason why 'bama NF Sonata will be spec'd out to meet US market. Was disappointed to find that NF Sonata was not on display in Miami Auto Show and thought that they might at least had one on display even if we couldn't sit in one. However I think that they want to be so careful about the U.S. Spec version(?). I guess I'll have to wait for March when Auto Show in Ft. Laud Auto Show begins perhaps it will be shown there then. No doubt Detroit will see the U.S. Spec first.
    No links to other automotive forums. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Your e-mail address does not work. Please update it to a working address per our membership agreement:
    http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/memberagreement.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Hotmail expires emails addy after a certain time.

I will reativate tonight.

I have a questions, does Edmuns accept money from any car maker for any reason?
    Try this

Google "Watch the picture the my NF Sonata"

Third one down.
    We have business relationships with a variety of companies, yes, but they are strictly prohibited from attempting to influence our content in any way. I think that's fairly evident - if they were allowed a say, we wouldn't have had discussions like the big Toyota sludge gripe last year.
    Here's more on our philosophy (last paragraph)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• duckiedduckied Member Posts: 52
    Hello. Does anyone know if the 2005 Sonata is supposed to be produced until the end of the 2005 year, or will its production be stopped with the new 2006 Sonata in mid-2005?

Thank you.
    I've seen nothing concrete, but have been lead to believe that 2005 production will stop when 2006 starts.
    That's really the only business model that makes any sense. Relatedly, are there actually any changes in the "2005" model versus the 2004, anyway, or is it merely a carryover until 2006 production ramps up?
    Other than color, the only change is the GLS Special Value model which gives you all the standard equipment of the LX model except for the leather seats for the same price as the regular GLS model. Heated seats, Homelink, Power drivers seat, and Automatic climate control.
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    According to Hyundai Motors USA website, the production at the new Alabama plant is suppose to start March 2005. I'm guessing the 2006 models will start arriving at the dealership in May 2005 if not sooner. The plant is currently in trial production.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    What are the annual sales targets for this puppy?

150,000?

Which car will it take the most sales away from? Accord? Camry? Altima?
    on the 2006 Hyundai Sonata I will venture a guess it's more in the 60,000-unit range. They'd be happily devouring Krispy Kremes and sipping large Seattle's Best's if they sold 150,000 2006 Sonata's in the U.S. in it's first sales year.

All of that having been said, I really like the looks of the car, inside and out. It looks very, very sharp. I think it'll outdo the last-gen Sonata in sales.

So you think Hyundai is going to have a target sales goal of 30,000 less than what they've sold October YTD of the 2004 model? I disagree. (Thats right, through the end of October in the US only, Hyundai has sold 90,000 Sonatas). The current car is a 6 year old design, and while it has rebates, they're nowhere near domestic make levels.

I feel that that 150,000 for the significantly improved version is a fair stretch goal. I think 120,000 units is easily attainable with the right exposure.

my .02

~alpha

PS- An interesting note is that the redesigned Altima, while significantly increasing the models sales and market share, hasnt really taken a dent out of the Camry and Accord sales. I'm sure some Camry buyers may have been swayed, but for better or worse, Toyota has offset this small number to fleet. And the Accord has more or less maintained its position. Its the smaller players that have taken a beating- witness the Mitsu Galant for example, or sales of even the redesigned Malibu, the Dodge Intrepid/Stratus, the new Suzuki Verona... none are selling anywhere near expectations.
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    alpha01 is correct. Hyundai wants to sell 150k units a year in the US market and 300k world wide.

I like the look of the new sonata and it may steal some sales away from accord/cam/altima but it's not going to be easy.
    Not a Ford?
  • kidokido Member Posts: 3
    NF did not have a specific meaning
    just a codename of hyundai
    only 'F' means that it's mid-size sedan
    some other exam.. :)

LC:accent {C is compact sedan)
    XD:elantra
    GK:tiburon
    EF,NF:sonata
    XG:XG300,350 (G is greater than F)
    SM:santa fe
    JM:tucson (M represents SUV)
  • hyundaikiahyundaikia Member Posts: 3
    actually the NF and EF stand for things. EF is for "elegant feeling" and NF stands for "New/Neo feeling" The EF sonata which is the KDM (1999-2004)is much better than the USDM. It has HIDs and navigation/AV system that has (TV, VCD player, CD) it has many cool luxury items that the stipped down USDM sonata does not have. The NF sonata is the KDM 2006 sonata and is even more luxurious than the EF sonata. One drawback is that the KDM NF sonata will only have 4 cylinder theta engines available that will have similar power to the current 2.7 liter delta V6. This is due to the high gas prices in korea however the usdm sonata will have a 230-235hp theta V6. All engines will be variable valve timed. Hyundai's new sonata is going to be awesome.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The NF Sonata V6 is a Lambda motor (Theta is the 4-cylinder GEMA series).
  • sensation2004sensation2004 Member Posts: 11
    NF stands for "Never ending Fame/Faith"
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    I like the looks of the 06 NF "No Fear" Sonata. I checked out the link in one of the early posts, the one that played classical music, pretty nice, showed only the 4 pots that will be available in Korea. Was hoping for a view of the new 6 burner.

I will definitely be shopping the new Sonata, unfortunately will have to wait for the next gen. Just bought wife a new car in Sept.

I can only imagine how much better it will be in 4-5 years. Almost has me drooling with anticipation. Of course by then I may have drowned in my own spit! :D

Looked at the Tuscon the other week. Hadn't paid attention to the write ups. Was quiet surprised to see the dual exhaust, very nice touch. Also looks sweet on the Sonata!

One of my H.S. buddies had an 89 Excel, used to ride with her on the 55 mile one way trip. Managed to put 125K miles on it during the 3 years of ownership, driving back and forth to school. Anything over 65mph was scarier than the scariest roller coaster! That may explain the handling. But was better than the bus any day.