Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mutifunction switch for 1999 Olds aurora 45000

explore2explore2 Member Posts: 6
edited October 2014 in Oldsmobile
I recently had parking lights fliker and the insterment lights staying on leading to battery drain and buzzing in the stearing colum. I took it to my local machanic and he told me it was the mutifunction switch repair and cost $779 swich being $600

is this possable for the multifunction switch to cost this much? and could it be something le$$ of a problem.

Comments

• coreyg1coreyg1 Member Posts: 34
    From my expierience with this same issue. I searched these forums, there is a posting with step by step instructions on how to clean the switch. This worked for my aurora. The estimates that I got were in the same ballpark as yours. I just looked online and found a new part for $400. I had purchased a used, working multifuntion switch on ebay that has remained untouched.
  • explore2explore2 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks coreyg1
    I found one at a local part store for $322. but the problem being the repairman said it cost him $600 from another vender.

Have you had any other electrical problems or leaks form antifreeze Dexcool?
  • coreyg1coreyg1 Member Posts: 34
    I have not had any electrical issues. Currently I am dealing with a coolant leak from the radiator. It is a tiny hole, but it does go thru coolant. I am hoping it remains strictly upkeep. The estimate I got to replace the radiatior is quite high unfortunatly.
  • pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    Re the radiator and a leak.

I've used the Dexcool only. I had about 82K on my 1998 when I got the radiator fixed. A slight crack was located under pressure at the top neck by the hose which had probably been that way for about 1.5 years because I was losing coolant very slowly. Could smell it very sporadically but could never see a leak. Crack= it wasn't the Dexcool that caused it, nor had the car ever overheated.

Radiator part $339 with $187 in labor. Good time to check the water pump, thermostat, and upper/lower radiator hoses if they are original: $246 parts and shop supplies and $170 in labor. My local mechanic is not cheap, but the car comes back fixed first time every time. No bring backs and no breakdowns on the road.

Jack
  • pfarneypfarney Member Posts: 3
    My Aurora, after reaching normal operating temp, begins to chime & low oil pressure light comes on at low idle, goes away as soon as I increase the rpm's to about 1,000. I've replaced the oil pressure sending unit,..this problem began right after a GM dealership removed & rebuilt the heads due to excessive oil leaks. The engine never kncks, smokes, overheats, or uses any oil. The oil remains amber colored between changes. Any suggestions?
  • pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    Did you replace the oil pressure sending unit AFTER you noticed the pressure issue or when you had the head work done?
  • auroraborealsauroraboreals Member Posts: 4
    I think this problem was solved and also documented really well with a procedure and photos at the website: http://65.39.242.200/~aghl/Aurora/index.html

The problem is caused by a small amount of grease inside the turn signal lever slowly flowing over time between the electrical contacts inside the turn signal - intermittently shorts-out the headlights or parking light switches causing them to flicker on and off.

Cheaper than buying a new Mutifunction switch is to open the existing one and just wipe away the excess grease.
This discussion has been closed.