Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Shocks absorbers

wayne937wayne937 Member Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in Toyota
Has anyone had any problems with the shock absorbers on their 2006 Sienna? We replaced both about two months ago and it appears that the same one is bad again as their is a knocking noise over the left rear wheel. Will have Toyota check this out and make sure.

Comments

• Options
    robs_siennarobs_sienna Member Posts: 3
    Had the driver rear shock replaced on my 2006 Sienna LE about 2 months ago. Seemed as if the shock's seal blew as it released the fluid out over a period of time. Only figured it out when the back end would jump and become almost uncontrolable on bumps and turns going over 60km/h (40MPH). Looked and saw the leaking fluid. Took it to the dealer where I had to leave it for a day for them to look over it and then bring it in another day for the repair. Toyota Service is the most pathetic I have ever seen. Had I know about all that hassle I'd replace it myself warrenty or no warrenty.

Seems as this may be another of several issues I am reading about and experiencing.
  • Options
    After we took our vehicle back to the Toyota Garage they checked and found that the mechanic that had previously worked on the car had not placed the nut back on the bolt of the left rear shock correctly, and it worked loose on the shock which caused the knocking noise. They retightened the nut on the bolt and it has been ok since. The shock itself was ok.
  • Options
    samncsamnc Member Posts: 44
    I have similar problem on my 05 LE driver side. Any information how to tighten the nuts?
  • Options
    I am sorry samnc but since we took it back to the garage to have it done I don't know. I don't think it would be that hard to figure out though if you had it up on a hoist. I used to do all my own work on cars but I quit doing since I have arthritis in my right hand. I think that there is only two bolts, one the top and one on the bottom of the shock, that holds the shock to the body. I am sorry I canot be of more help.
  • Options
    samncsamnc Member Posts: 44
    Any figures for 2005 LE, thanks.
  • Options
    Our vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Sienna. I just checked with my wife and she does not remember what she paid at the Toyota Dealership for the two rear shocks. You could most likely get it done a lot cheaper if you stayed away from the dealership.
  • Options
    George560selGeorge560sel Member Posts: 1
    O5 sienna AWD limited, changed rear shock at around 46 Kmi. Boucing every bump or pot hole (from the rear). One of the rear shock is bad. Replaced both rear w/ KYB shock (OEM, cost $85/ pair) and it is fine now. I think 46 Kmi is too early to have to replace the shock.
  • Options
    Yes! I agree with you. However, those things will happen from time to time. I think they need to give their customers a longer time limit on their warranty. It would be nice if they gave a 50,000 miles warranty instead of the standard three year or 36,000 mile warranty. It seems like as soon as the warranty is up is when things begins to happen. Maybe that is their plan. By making inferior parts that last just over the warrant period they can make money by selling more parts.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Out of curiosity, how much was labor?
  • Options
    tonystewarttonystewart Member Posts: 10
    I replaced both rears after 62K. They weren't leaking but they were porpoising the van. This was amplified when I added air to the air lift 1000 airbags during long heavy trips. The new Napa shocks were fine. #37284
  • Options
    agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    edited January 2011
    FYI, I just had both rear shocks replaced on my 2006 Sienna FWD Limited a little over 57,000 miles for $218 (including 7.75% tax only on parts) and after doing some extended research I found out that I have Lifetime free replacement (parts + labor) as long I own the vehicle. This lifetime warranty is from Toyota Corporate and was initiated since January 1, 1990 for (front/rear struts or shocks, Toyota Genuine muffler, exhaust pipe). In order to qualify for this Lifetime Guarantee the first replacement (parts + labor) must be done from an authorized Toyota dealership and subsequent failure of the above mentioned components will qualify for lifetime replacement(s) at no cost (parts + labor) and as long as you have proof you are the original owner of the Toyota vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.