Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My Montana Fuel gage is acting up

macniomacnio Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Pontiac
we bought a used 2003 montana and for the first month no issues, but now the fuel gage is really acting strange.
start the van and the fuel pegs out to full. and if you put it in gear right away and drive it stays there. but if you have an extended stop or just simply sit idle for a few minutes the gage goes all the way down to E and the fuel low warning goes off. This happens no matter the amount of fuel in the tank. we have had to resort to milage watching which is ok, but I would really like to get this fuel gage issue resolved. any ideas???

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Generally speaking, the usual suspect for this kind of thing is the sending unit (located in the fuel tank). Not sure if its applicable to the Montana or not, but that Azteks and perhaps the Rendezvous can have issues with a large electrical connector to the rear and under drivers seat that controls a lot of stuff towards rear of vehicle. It can allow water intrusion and corrode and cause various problems (like yours).
  • mikeyd17mikeyd17 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2004 Pontiac Montana with about 107500 kms on it (VIN: 1GMDX03E24D183870) and the coolant temperature gauge is not working properly. Sometimes when I start my van, the temp gauge is pinned at MAX temp and stays there the whole trip...other times it's pinned at MIN temp...and other times it seems to work OK. When it's pinned at MAX temp, I check the actual temp that the on-board computer is seeing, by using my ODBII scan tool...and I get about 87 degrees C when I'm halfway into my trip (i.e. - when the van is at operating temp), which seems OK. All the other analog gauges are working perfectly.

What could be causing this? Any ideas? I read a lot about the issues with "connector C305" on the Internet on the Montana vans...could this be the problem? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

mikeyd17
  • youravtechyouravtech Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Montana and had the same problem. This van is known for having a bad fuel sending unit.
  • mwilliamson006mwilliamson006 Member Posts: 2
    It is the fuel sending unit. I have a 2003 Pontiac Montana and mine did the same thing to a T to yours. The fuel sending unit is for sale on Ebay for $19.99. Most repair shops will try to force you to buy a new fuel pump and not sell you the Fuel Sending Unit. Call around and ask shops if they will replace it in your vehicle. Buy the part yourself. My husband just fixed mine and it's working great again.
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    Remember to inspection and re-seal the vehicle's under belly C305 Connector. To re-seal it, simply remove the connector, apply dielectric grease and re-connect. This dielectric grease keeps natural moiture out of this plug. And, it creates better current flow as well. For more details of this connector, surf: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/GMGreatWrench/2009-02-07_013436_updated_Ventur- e_connector_bulletin.pdf

Good luck.....

This discussion has been closed.