Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker Transmission Problems

bigpoppa122779bigpoppa122779 Member Posts: 1
My 90 Tracker has an auto tranny. I goes into low gears fine and pulls well, but when driving it on the highway it trys to shift into 3rd gear and there is nothing. Almost like shifting to neutral. Any suggestions appreciated. The previous owner drove it through high water and I believe that some of the water go in the tranny. Could that have burned up the fiber clutches?
Tagged:

Comments

• entrailentrail Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,
    I am looking at buying my first Tracker, a 2001 5 speed std with 138,000 klm on it. It runs well but I find it very hard to shift into first. Are they normally hard to get into gear?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    To get feedback from other Tracker owners you should post your message in the existing Chevy Tracker discussion where they are more likely to read it!

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe if we rename this to Transmission Problems more owners will find it. Worth a shot. ;)

Steve, Host
  • lemontrackerlemontracker Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a cherry, low-mileage soft top, that for the most part, was a good buy. But, the gears want to grind a little. I replaced the gear oil with the recommended synthetic, but it didn't make a difference. The chevy repair shop foreman says there's no "customer complaint" issue, but I don't believe him. There's too many similar complaints about this particular model. I want to have this problem repaired, but would like some guidance first. Please help. Thanks
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    actually if i remember correctly from reading this forum the 1999 5 speeds had alot of trany Issues! If you want to really know about it you could research old posts I know about it b4 i bought my 1999 tracker with the 4 speed automatic. i had a chance to buy the 5 speed but after reading about the problems with the 1999's i went with the automatic.
  • lemontrackerlemontracker Member Posts: 3
    How do you research old posts? I scheduled a transmission rebuild with a mechanic I trust, but would still like to know what's wrong, or better yet, if there's a cheaper solution. This rebuild will be $500-700. I've a week to change my mind. Happy Holidays.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I suggest using the search feature in the Chevy Tracker discussion.

tidester, host
  • captjcaptj Member Posts: 8
    The 99 5-speed Trackers had a problem that some folks called "soft synchros." I believe the actual problem was that the springs were inadequate in some of the synchros in the early transmission builds. It was not a safety problem, so no recall; just a driveability problem that Chevy addressed with a TSB that called for a replacement synchro spring kit if the owner brought the car in with the problem. We noticed the gears clashing during shifts fairly soon after we bought the car, and tried a number of different synthetic tranny lubes to try to cure it without surgery. Eventually, we let Chevy install the kit. They did the job neatly and correctly in one day. I believe I put the kit part number in one of the early Tracker posts on this site. The problem went away for the most part, although we still shift gently for the first couple of miles in cold weather because you can feel some slight drag as the gears engage under those conditions. You are probably on the right track to seek a tranny rebuild, and might help your own cause by mentioning the history of the synchros to your mech. Other than that one issue, our Tracker has provided flawless reliability for 50K miles with just annual synthetic oil changes and lube. We wanted inexpensive, all-weather transport for commuting, and have not been disappointed. Good luck with yours and Merry Christmas.
  • nochevynochevy Member Posts: 8
    In reference to the Transmission re-build on a 1999 Tracker. 5 speed, 2.0 engine. My Tracker shifts fine, but has a noise, which the mechanic said was the clutch, because when the clutch was in, the noise would stop, let the clutch out the noise is there. So, I have had a complete Clutch replacement, and still have the same noise. It really sounds like the throw-out bearing, even though it has a complete new clutch now. This is getting expensive, and now, the mechanic says,since I have a new clutch, it must be a bearing in the transmission. The strange thing is, the tracker drives and shifts fine, just that noise. I would like to pay to have my Tracker fixed, but not pay for more guess-work! Does this sound like Transmission problems? And what is the going price to have the Transmission re-built? And where would be the best place to order parts, if the Transmission has to be re-built? THANKS! :sick:
  • donnabelledonnabelle Member Posts: 2
    hi i have a 2000 tracker automatic transmission and it seems to not want to shift into overdrive..also my oil was recently changed and they told me my transmission fluid was black but should not service it as i could have further problems...any advice??
    black trany fluid is a bad sign. did they give you a reason why Not to change trany fluid that is in bad/burnt condition? when i had my 99 tracker i changed my trany fluid every other year, it was easy. and with my recent 2004 tracker zr-2 i did the samething. i changed all the fluids.. engine, trany, front & rear axles transfer case. if you dont remove the filter and you just want a quick change. there is a drain plug on the trany pan. just buy 3 qts of trany fluid and drain and refill to 2.5-2.7qts. in the past i replaced the transmission filter and each time i did the filter was clean.. but if your trany fluid is black that is very bad and Needs changed. if you want more info look at this link
    http://www.atra.com/consumers/bulletins/cb-111.pdf

chris
  • donnabelledonnabelle Member Posts: 2
    hi thanks for the response...they told me that if i serviced the trani changed the fluid i could be doing more damage "the chunks in the fluid could be whats holding the transmission together" does this sound plausible..donnabelle
    could you tell me again . what year and engine size along with what transmission you have? im going to look for more info. im just wondering how it got to this point in the first place...
  • jgh803jgh803 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 Tracker that had identical symptoms. The mechanic was initially pretty sure it was the throw out bearing, but turns out the gear oil was very low. After changing the gear oil there is still a slight whine, but I guess that's pretty much normal. Could your mechanic have failed to check this first?
  • slick007slick007 Member Posts: 1
    hi fellows, can someone please tell me were the clutch bleeder valve is located on a '98 chevy tracker(4 cyl)
    Today i was on napa's website looking up filters for my 2004 tracker Zr-2, well under transmissions it Lists the tracker 2.5 v-6 as having a toyota transmission. Can anyone confirm this? I know the engine is Suzuki as the name is all over it.
  • memevelosomemeveloso Member Posts: 1
    I'm almost buying a 1999 Tracker with 90k miles and the owner just told me he had to replace the car's manual transmission 6 months ago. Is it a bad thing?? Did any of you have to replace the manual transmission? Does it work ok now??
    Thank you
    Melina
    If he replaced it that might be a good thing as the 99's had a transmission problem with grinding.
  • meadowmeadow Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me what kind of transmission problems they have? I have a 99 tracker and the transmission fluid has been low twice now, so I assume I have a leak.
  • staujstauj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 chevy tracker, 2.0 with a automatic, when your going down the road and left off the gas the engine will pull you down untill you reach 40mph, at which time the transmission will unlock/free wheel and the rpm will drop down to an idle.
    Is this normal for this vehicle, or do I have a problem with it.
    If so what may be causing it??
  • kip1456kip1456 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 93 Tracker 4X4 auto that owner says stays in first gear. So before I consider buying, I am researching a transmission for it, in case I need to replace complete tranny. Might only need some small repair, but preparing for worst case scenario. From what I can find, it takes a 400-59024A tranny, but I found a used 400-59024B out of a 95 used at a great price. Dealer says tranny will fit, but shows the difference is a different final drive ratio. Would this be a problem or not, if anyone knows? Is the ratio geared higher or lower, in all gears or just high? Looking for suggestions and answers, and thanks for responding.
  • karonakarona Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 99 chevy tracker soft top. Automatic trans. 96000 miles.

Problem #1: When I hit anywhere from 35 to 45 mph (exactly) it does a weird jolt/ jarring thing, like it can't quite shift gears or something. (Obviously I am not a car expert!)
    As soon as I go above 45, it's fine. Below 35, it's fine. Just at 35-45mph. Any ideas?

Problem# 2: when idle (like at a stoplight, sitting in traffic) it shakes a bit every once in a while. Sometimes it trembles all over, sometimes just a little kick, then nothing, then a few seconds later, a kick, then nothing. Is this a timing issue? WHen in neutral it's fine. In park it is also fine. What can I do to fix?

Thank you!!
    do something. when you have your #2 problem notice what the tach is doing. is the tach dipping up and down when this happens? My 99 tracker did this and i replaced the PCV valve. (very cheap to replace) and then i made sure the fuel filter was replaced and i ran Seafoam in the gas tank and cleaned the throttle plate. all easy to do. when was the last time your tracker had a tune up?
  • windctchrwindctchr Member Posts: 2
    HELLO I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 95 TRACKER, HAVE REPLACED EVERYTHING BUT THE TRANSMISSION.THATS MY NEXT PROJECT. WHINING NOISE DRIVES ME NUTS!PEOPLE SAY IT SOUNDS LIKE A POLICE CAR.
  • richiemclean82richiemclean82 Member Posts: 2
    my transmission just went out in my 1990 geo tracker.i want to find a used transmission w/ lower gears for towing.im not looking to put alot of money in it thats why i want to find a used one.
  • snicholsnichol Member Posts: 28
    Hi,
    I don't know a lot about the transmissions, but when my Tracker broke down and I had to tow it to a garage (towed it myself), I found out that an Automatic transmission can't be towed! (Not reccommended by Chevy.) They suggest towing with the rear wheels on a dolly, so the transmission isn't turning.
    The reason is that the transmission is only lubricated when the engine is running. As I was told, the automatic transmission can be burned-up, towing for a long distance, as the fluid is not being circulated in it.
    Now, I don't know about the manual transmissions, they are probably OK to tow, but I would check with an authorized mechanic that knows more about it.
    (It's mentioned in my owner's manual.)
    Hope this helps and saves you a new transmission again.
    Snichol
  • richiemclean82richiemclean82 Member Posts: 2
    to add a little more to my prior message my 1990 tracker is 4 wheel drive it towed my boat well but not well enough i guess the tranny went out.i want to find another tranny that is geared lower for better towing.i want a used tranny because i am not looking to put a lot of money into itso if i could get some ldeas about some other transmissions that will fit my tracker and help it pull my boat better.

thanks for your help.
  • windctchrwindctchr Member Posts: 2
    MY 95 TRACKER, MAKES A WHINNING NOISE IN 1RST, SECOND,THIRD AND FIFTH GEARS,
    MY QUESTION IS:
    (1) IS IT NORMAL FOR THE INPUT SHAFT TO GO BAD?AND WHAT CAUSES IT.
    (2) WHY DOSNT IT DO IT IN ALL GEARS?
    (3) DO YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION TO FIX IT?
  • alicia9alicia9 Member Posts: 4
    I've had a similar problem with my 1994 Geo Tracker (2wd, automatic) and saw another one similar listed on here too. At first I got a new transmission cable put in and this fixed the problem for the time being – at the time I wasn't driving the car much, only like 3 miles a day with occasional weekend highway trips. Then I took a 1,000 mile trip and after that the problem came back and kept getting worse. My problem was that the car wouldn't shift out of first gears until it was warmed up. Once warmed up it was fine. At first, the car only had to be a little warm to be fine, then pretty warm, then completely warmed up, now I'm scared to drive it because it seems to get worse each time and I can't imagine what is next. Finally I took it into a locally trusted mechanic, who referred me to a locally trusted tranny guy. The tranny guy inspected and said it needs a full tranny rebuild. I took my time deciding whether or not to go with it because it's expensive, but am moving forward with it. It's estimated between $450 and $1150. Just wanted to let you know what happened with mine.

I'm wondering if this car is a keeper though. Overall, how do you like yours? Any weaknesses to warn me about?
  • thirddayjaythirddayjay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Tracker 4x4 with 2.0l, automatic & 95,000 miles on it. We pulled into the driveway and parked it until the next morning. When we went to use it the next day, the engine would'nt even crank over. Replaced the battery, because it was due. The engine still would not turn over. Now i'm thinking starter, but before i would replace it, i took a breaker bar to the crank pully just to make sure the engine will turn over by hand. IT WONT! I pulled the starter. Tried to turn over with breaker bar again. IT WONT! My next thought was to disconnect the flywheel from the torque converter. I CAN'T!....because crankshaft/flywheel cannot be turned over since the engine or trans is locked. I have the Tracker jacked up just to make sure the transfer case is not locked up in neutral...its fine. Has anybody ever experienced a torque converter locking up in this vehicle?
    when was the last time the trany fluid was replaced?
  • fastdaddy55fastdaddy55 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know where the speed sensor is located & does anyone have a used one or can point me in the right direction to get good used parts for a Tracker? Almost everything I have priced for this thing at a parts store is at least a 100 bucks. I like this rig but it's expensive to upkeep.
  • gilberto1gilberto1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a geo tracker 93 and i have a problem i need help, my car start and run for 4 second and stop, i already change my fuel filter i already check the pressure of my pump i already check alllllllllll the relay allllll wire and nothing and the injector work i have inpulse of fuel to start only but i dont have no inpulse in the injector to run, i need to know if it have someting in the distributor an electronic part that can give a signal at the computer
  • onwhateveronwhatever Member Posts: 1
    We have just bought a 97 that has only 35000 miles on it. We love it and it runs like a charm, but that light came on and are wondering if anyone else has had that happen to them, what turned out to be the culprit, we cked all the things suggested, but the emission stuff, don;t want to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed. Thanks
  • dragonaz101dragonaz101 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 97 geo tracker which i just bought. i love it, but three days after i bought it, it wouldn't start. i had power so i knew it wasn't a battery issue come to find out the plug for the starter sensor had come out, okay easy fix plug it back in. done fired right up, going down the road and poof service engine soon light. took it to local parts store they put it on their computer and found out that the EGR valve is shot, so perhaps you should try that....i lay odds that's its that or an oxygen sensor..good luck hope this helps
  • dragonaz101dragonaz101 Member Posts: 4
    okay i have always driven 4x4 trucks never had one that you had to lock hubs manually....how do i put it in four wheel drive and take it out of four wheel drive. Bought it used so there is no manual...please help!
  • desmoevandesmoevan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 tracker with auto transmission and tonight as i was pulling out of my driveway, the transmission wouldn't shift till high 4000 rpm's. Has done it every time since when going from first to second, and even tried turning off the car for several hours, and its still happening. Any ideas? Transmission fluid change/top off maybe?
  • beaver02beaver02 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me on this? I have a 2002 Tracker 2.0 L 4x4 4 door, I pulled into my yard and the gear shifter felt like it wasn't attached to anything it just moved up and down freely. needless to say it was stuck in drive, so now I can't even start it. Has anyone else had this problem? It worked find up to yesterday. Is it attached to some type on shifting cable or something.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Bruce
  • mitymicromitymicro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Tracker, 2.0, 5 speed manual, 4x4 and want to replace the transmission with a lower mile, later model. I know they discontinued making my two door rag top in 2003 but, I believe they continued to use the same motor and tranny for more years. I want to find out what other years will bolt up to my 1999 motor and to the transfer case? I'm trying to get away from the 1999 tranny curse. Does anyone know where I can go to find this info? Also, are there any other manufactures models that work like, Suzuki, etc.?
  • manaxrisulamanaxrisula Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Yesterday my brother's 98 4wd 3 spd a/t chevy tracker, 2d soft top refuse to drive in D, 2, L it only drives Rear even in position N. There is some leak from tranny but we filled it with fluid and there is no difference

What ther can there be a problem?

Now we are trying to find it by ourselves.

Thank you in advance
  • radcoradco Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    . I have a 200 Chevy /Suzuki Tracker, 2.0, 4 cyl. Auto, 4 wheel drive. The transmission sometimes pops out of OD./Drive or appears to.. The tach goes way up like stepping in on a clutch...You back off and feather the gas pedal and all is good .. Hasn't done it lately but now the weather is in the 30s.. seemed to do it below 25 +or.-Seemed to have started the problem after the 4 studded snows were put on,,,. Trans fluid OK. a little dirty but not burnt.
    48000 miles on the Tracker.. Bought used w/420000...
    Low idle s around 6/700 rpm,IMO too low ,but that is normal from what Ive heard and can not be adjusted because of eletronic ignition...
    Check engine light is on and will be going to shop soon..Road around about a hr today no issues. BUT Cars do not fix themselfs lol
  • rabianconerabiancone Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I would like to start by saying thank you for the wealth of information provided on this forum, I can tell you know what you're talking about. A lot of this is far too technical for me, so I 'm hoping you could help clarify some things and pump a little life into this thread.

RE: 1994 Geo Tracker LSI (not sure of engine type) automatic transmission, 91K mi, AUTO HUB

My problem is similar to many others out there: My tracker has problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear in cold weather. Once it warms up it's fine, but before then it feels like its popping out of gear and into neutral when shifting into 3rd. At that point I take my foot off the gas and let it back down to about 3k rpms where it will go into gear. If it doesn't go into 3rd I put it into "2" and let it warm up a little longer. Once it is ready and does go into 3rd I have no problems with it until the next time I run it cold.

Based on what I've read on this board I suspect it has low pump pressure, and a lot of sludge/grime caught up in the governor. The seals are obviously old and probably also have something to do with it. Also the MOD valve and vacuum modulator might need to be changed.

Before I take it in for the full inspection/tuneup/overhaul I want to make sure I tell them what to look for.

On another forum a guy said he poured in 1 ounce of clean brake fluid into the transmission and that after a day the problem was more or less fixed as that caused the seals in the tranny to become more pliable.

From what I can tell the car has been regularly maintained and serviced, with a tranny flush being performed 2 months ago (according to the guy who sold it to me).

Any help/suggestions you may have would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ryan
  • doug98doug98 Member Posts: 1
    Hi: Doug here from Maine. I've recently purchased an abandoned parking garaged not used in three years 1998 Chevy Tracker with a 1.6 automatic tranny. After a minor tune up it seemed fine on the road until just recently. Now after it warms up it wont shift into second gear. I had my local garage flush the tranny new gasket and filter and fluid. This did'nt help at all the next day I traveled a hundred miles then I had to pull over and have my auto club tow me home. The local garage says they can't help. Could this be a computor issue? No slivers of metal on the dipstick and no odd tranny noises. The fluid looks fine. I'm thinking of taking to the local Chevy dealership to do a code scan. What do you think. Many Thanks Doug
  • raccoonraccoon Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 1999 Tracker. I believe mine has the 1.6 engine.
    Noise gear box. What will interchange? Any information out there? :mad:
  • snowman28snowman28 Member Posts: 1
    What was the solution to your problem. It sounds as though I am experiencing the same thing. Please help!
  • j6407j6407 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000tracker wont shift out of 4h to2h when rolling have tryed stoping ,backing up (works sometime) whats the problem
  • malibu25malibu25 Member Posts: 2
    DID YOU FIND OUT WAT WAS WRONG IN THIS CASE CAUSE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 99 TRACKER
  • malibu25malibu25 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 99 TRACKER AND IT WONT SHIFT INTO SECOND TILL ABOUT 4000RPM I REPLACED THE OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR CAUSE THAT IS WAT THE CHECK ENG LIGHT SAID THE PROBLEM WAS AND IT WAS NOT THAT ANY IDEAS
  • dsetsodsetso Member Posts: 1
    The identification number on the transmission in my 1990 Tracker is L247539. and it has two senders. I would like to replace it with a M241202 with 1 sender, will this swap be compatable?
  • appellofappellof Member Posts: 54
    I am going to be purchasing a mid 1990's Geo Tracker. I am interested in knowing what are the pit falls of owning one. I bought an Alero a couple of years ago and I did not check the forums first. After looking at the amount of posts under the Oldsmobile Alero Oh My.... I have been lucky so far outside of minor issues like the fuel regulator, Ignition module, starter, Fuel filter etc. Would someone be willing to comment on the Geo Tracker?

Thanks,

Daniel