Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Rebirth of Buick.........

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    Heh, by the time editorial sends around their list of what's new on site, it's already been live for a week or more. And they don't give us hosts advance notice, so I'm usually clueless about such things.

Karl is hanging out in Colorado right now, but reply to a blog post or tweet and put in your request.

Inside Line had a recent blurb about the four-cylinder version in the pipeline. And they have 2010 pics up.

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    I just found it odd that while these others have posted their first drives, edmunds has yet too.
    Must be a conspiracy and Buick isn't providing us one to test. Be sure to ask Karl that too. That'll make his vacation. :shades:
    This time from nextautos.com;

".....We came away from this rather surprised. Frankly, we often look at GM’s top efforts and think "almost." Usually, the exterior looks great, but the interior is a letdown. Or the engine is great, but the transmission is clunky. Or the drivetrain is good, but the handling is insipid. The LaCrosse isn’t like that. There is essentially nothing significantly wrong with this car, if it is viewed through the eyes of the target customer. In other words, the LaCrosse is fully competitive with the Lexus ES350 and Acura TL. No excuses, no "almost." Whether the LaCrosse is better than an ES or a TL is a matter for another article, but the significant point is that anyone shopping for an ES or a TL could legitimately cross-shop the LaCrosse."
  • berriberri Posts: 7,874
    I'm not sure an Opel based chassis and GM drivetrain can compete head on with Lexus. However, if close and significantly less expensive they might pull it off. I think the new LaCrosse looks good despite the dumb name and hope they can pull it off. However, GM head in the sand management will probably either short cut the product or over price the car, but let's hope for the best.
    I don't know if you got to read the entire article or not but as to materials;

".....More surprising is that the quality of the materials seems better than on most of the competition. A little less glossy wood and chrome would be more to our taste, but given the example set by Lexus perhaps this is a category necessity. Again, final judgment awaits direct comparison, but nothing about the Buick design jumped out as an important faux pas, whereas we’ve been put off by materials and detail design on many a Lexus and Infiniti of late."

As far as price, the base CX is only $27K and change, while the CXL fwd is around $29K. Add awd (not available on the ES350) its $31K and $33K for the CXS. The ES350 STARTS at $34K. I don't think overpricing is going to be an issue.
  • berriberri Posts: 7,874
    Buick seems to rate good quality, so maybe this car will be a sleeper. I think GM intends to spend some significant bucks advertising it (hopefully to a wider audience than pro golf in order to reach some younger people as well).
    I've seen the new ad. I can't warm up to the ad that much, with all that "Project Runway" type bs, but the tag line "Take A Look at Us Now" is catchy, and hits the mark as to what the cars must do.
    http://2010lacrosse.com

If you register, go to the Auditorium and watch the video on the new Lacrosse. While yes, there is the usual corporate bs in the video, I did find it to be a nice intro to the car.
    OK here it is. I think the car is everything the reviewers say it is!!!! The seats are comfy, the 3.0 V6 propels the car spiritedly, although not super fast. The materiels used on the interior are VASTLY better than what I see in my SIL's '06 Grand Prix. It handles well, absorbs bumps in the road beautifully. The stereo sounds magnificent. There are a lot of buttons on the center stack, but they are clearly labeled. It may scare off an 80 yr old, but anybody gary's age and younger can get by ( :P )

This car had no navigation, and the display for the radio is simplistic like C&D says but it is a rather large display for a radio. The new Acura TL I saw in a parking lot later had just a standard radio display, so this wouldn't be a big deal. The cruise control displays the speed you set it for, as well as the speed you're going, somthing I've yet to see. The rear seats fold down almost flat to make up for the smallish trunk for those odd trips that require more cargo space.

The negatives I saw were the small trunk w/ a decklid held up w/ goosenecks, some road noise eminating from the tires, a HIGH beltline which makes it tough to hang the ole arm out the window (although the armrest was in perfect position), and the instrument cluster looks as if it was stuck in place. The leather top on the instrument cluster looks like a bad toupee'

The transmission shifts flawlessly. I downshifted in manumatic from fifth to second (5-4-3-2) at about 40 and the only indication it shifted was the tach moving. Shifts were imperceptable, and I could hardly hear the engine rev. It was quite impressive.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I really like the direction Buick is taking and its reputation for reliability is right in there with Lexus. I am just wondering how GM is going to make sure Buick does not cross into Cadillac territory. I feel GM should have kept Pontiac and ditched Buick. Shifted some of Buicks models to Pontiac. Pontiac could be your upper level Chevy, Cadillac could be the cream of the crop.
    While the consensus of people seem to have the opinion that Buick should've gone instead of Pontiac, the ole' PMD probably stepped on Chevy's toes far more than Buick does Caddy. Right now, the CTS is RWD while the new LaCrosse is FWD/AWD. We can set aside the STS/DTS and Lucerne, as these models are long in the tooth and due to be replaced, so comment can be held until the actual product arrives. Caddy has the SRX and Escalade, while Buick has the Lambda based Enclave.

As far as crossing into Caddy territory, you will notice that all CTS's get the 304 hp 3.6, while the Lacrosse starts off with the 3.0, and only gets the 282 hp version of the 3.6L. The CXS version is as good as it gets for Buick, while Caddy gets the V series.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    So it will be another version of the Opel Antara/Saturn Vue/new Chevy Equinox, refreshed with updated engines?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

".....So it will be another version of the Opel Antara/Saturn Vue/new Chevy Equinox, refreshed with updated engines? "

Quite possibly. But, don't forget; the Opel isn't sold here at any price, and by 2012 the Vue will quite possibly be a Renault, not a GM product.
    I am now the proud owner of a Red Jewel Tintcoat 2010 Lacrosse CXS.

BTW, the CXL I looked at 2 weeks ago, sold last week to a 23 YEAR OLD GIRL!!!!!!

That's 23, not 63 or even 53. :P
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,040
    Pictures! We want pictures!! Anyway, congrats...hope you enjoy the new ride and that it gives you years of happy service.
    "Anyone who doubts the LaCrosse's mission is to compete with the ES 350 need only scan the lengthy standard equipment list and drive one a couple hundred yards. As Dan Pund said in our Full Test of the LaCrosse CXS, "Really, people, you're going to have to get past your whole Buick thing. Wake up; times are changing."

2010 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2009 Lexus ES 350 Comparison Test

Ironing Out the Wrinkles in the Entry-Level Luxury Sedan (Inside Line)
    What's more interesting are the final 2 paragraphs:

".....We're not saying the Lexus ES 350 is not a fine automobile; we're just saying its time has passed as a standard by which entry-level luxury sedans are to be measured. For that, you must consider the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS as the new leader in its class.

At first we questioned GM's strategy, not only with the LaCrosse itself but also with the notion of Buick as a genuine competitor for Lexus. But after this comparison, we have no doubt that the 2010 Buick LaCrosse is a game-changing, brand-defining automobile that will go far to both revitalize Buick and promote the new General Motors."

I'm glad the mentioned the jutting dash. I was beginning to think I was a clutz. My poor right knee :cry:
  • Yay, another cocky, arrogant ad from Government Motors... :sick:

Comes off just as well as the Howie Long vs. everyone ads telling "everyone" that they are idiots.

I get a laugh everytime a Buick, Chevy or Cadillac ad comes on and the tagline at the end is, "This message has been approved by your local _insert brand here_ dealer". They truely have become a government entity.
    GM does have a problem trying to have more substance than talk. They can advertise until they are blue in the face, but the rebirth of Buick will be a long and slow one, dare I say arduous? I still believe they won't have one at all on the west coast.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"..... I still believe they won't have one at all on the west coast. "

Yeah, but there are far more people on the east coast.
    Well, one new car sale in every eight is in California alone.

Most of the inhabitants of the country are on the coasts, so it follows naturally that there are more on the east coast than on the west. New England is the most densely settled part of the entire country.

How does Buick do in New England?

"......How does Buick do in New England?"

Great in my driveway, there are 4.

Seriously, I'd say as good as in Florida. There are a lot of elderly up here. And yes, plenty drive Buicks. But as far as the Enclave, I see mostly people that appear to be 35-54. I don't see as many Lucernes as I did P.A.'s or Lesabres, or Lacrosse's as there were Regal's and Century's.

I am seeing more elderly driving a Camry or ES. The Camry up here is becoming like the Dodge Dart was 35 years ago.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    From what I've read Buick has some interesting product plans for smaller-than-LaCrosse sedans. One is an Aura size vehicle and the second is based on the Cruze