Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Headlights

not2l84u2not2l84u2 Member Posts: 6
edited December 2018 in Chevrolet
I have a 2003 Tahoe and I am unable to turn off the headlights at night when the vehicle is parked. I have had people tell me to hit the dome over-ride button three times in a row and it will shut them off, however it does not. Someone also told me to set the emergency brake. I have done that as well and it still does not turn them off at night. I called the local dealer and they do not have any other information. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to try Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    When you say "parked" do you mean key off and after you leave the Tahoe?
    Do they stay on permanent as in never turn off and drain the battery?

I have a 2003 as well, the headlights stay on about a minute after removing the key from the ignition and opening the door. I've never really timed it. If you want ot over-ride and shut them off turn the headlight switch CCW to "off" and then release it. It will go back to the "Auto" position. That should turn them off until you re-start the Tahoe or turn the switch to the On position.

--Jay
  • not2l84u2not2l84u2 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry I meant parked while still running. The headlights time out just fine after shutting the ignition off. I mean how do I turn the headlights off at night while the vehicle is still running and it is in park. I have tried flipping the switch and using the dome overide as well as setting the parking brake
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    how do I turn the headlights off at night while the vehicle is still running and it is in park
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well the switch is supposed to spring back to auto position, but it should have turned the headlights off.

I'd have to get the schematics out to see what all else might be in the circuit in addition to the BCM (Body Control Module) and relays, but at this point I'd be focusing on checking out the headlight relays...and hoping that they are the problem.

Do you have an electrical digitial volt/ohm meter, and do you know how to check whether a relay is good or not?

Is this wiring all OEM, or has anybody messed with it putting on alarm system or anything else to the wiring?
  • not2l84u2not2l84u2 Member Posts: 6
    Nope, not sure how to check if the relay is bad or not. As far as I know the wiring is all OEM but I did have a remote starter installed a year or so after I bought it but to the best of my recollection, it has always been like this and I've had the vehicle for 5 years. It's not a real big deal just a nuisance sometimes if you go somewhere and need to shut the headlights off.
  • ejc_9ejc_9 Member Posts: 1
    i always push dome over-ride 4 times...
  • jlstutzjlstutz Member Posts: 3
    How do I switch out the rear jam switch in my 1997 tahoe the pin switch on the right of the glass
  • jbacintijbacinti Member Posts: 3
    My headlights on a '99 Tahoe always come on when the truck started. Now they do not come on unless I turn them on at the switch. I assume them being on all the time was the same as having daytime driving lights. What would cause them to not come on automatically all the time? They work fine when turned on at the switch and I assume they are the same bulbs, day or night.
  • jbacintijbacinti Member Posts: 3
    My headlights on a '99 Tahoe always come on when the truck started. Now they do not come on unless I turn them on at the switch. I assume them being on all the time was the same as having daytime driving lights. What would cause them to not come on automatically all the time? They work fine when turned on at the switch and I assume they are the same bulbs, day or night. I posted this a couple of months ago but had no responses. Maybe someone new can shed some light on this problem.
  • isaiahtrufantisaiahtrufant Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my. 99 Tahoe.  Last week while in the truck, I was in park and hit the emergency brake and everything( headlights )  went off.  

I tried to release the e brake numerous times. Over    And the auto headlights won’t come back on. I still there a way to reset this ?  Thanks.