Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• sunfiendsunfiend Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for this information. I've found that very helpful. Where do you look to find the plant production schedule? We tried to buy a Venza this weekend but the dealer and I were about five hundred $ apart so no go. We're trying to get 10-11% off of MSRP. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to walk away I suppose.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Wow, I like. The styling is more pleasing to my eye than the Venza. From what I can tell it's 3" shorter and narrower including the wheelbase. It comes with more manageable 16" wheels/17"opt.

I hope they bring it over.
  • joeblack1joeblack1 Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the info. Starting to sound like I need to more seriously consider the alternatives.
    I would love to hear about other snow factors like:
    1) How is it clearing off the windshield. (My Avalon for example has hideway wipers and it is a pain cleaning that out. There is an air intake there as well that has to be kept clean to keep the windows from fogging etc.)

2) How well does it heat up and how well do the front and rear side windows stay defrosted?
    Is there a side window defroster that actually works?

3) How bad does stuff collect on the back window? (I forget, does the Venza have a rear wiper?

Thanks.
  • duncan36duncan36 Member Posts: 8
    This is a boom economy vehicle. Clever name, image vehicle, upscale touches inside.
    Its got major hurdles to overcome however:
    1. Priced 5k+ more than a CRV LX. If you just want an SUV and dont care about the pseudo-luxo image of the Venza you go CRV. CRV has better sheetmetal and feels higher quality despite the lower price also.
    2. Venza looks like a car. No getting around it. You will notice that most pictures of the Venza in the press/advertising are taken from below to make it look like an SUV. But in person it looks like a car from the front.Why are people who want an SUV going to bother with this vehicle?
    3. Compared to the Murano, well this vehicle doesnt compare to the Murano, period. Murano feels and looks more like an SUV, it is sportier, better interior, feels higher quality.

No wonder Toyota is losing money when they are making vehicles with more style than substance.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Use this link for Toyota Georgetown production stats:
    http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/pdfs/prod/prodresults.pdf

If the link doesn't work, go to www.toyotageorgetown.com; then click on the "About" tab and select "News" from the drop-down. Once the TMMK news form appears, scroll down and click on "latest production statistics." Pretty neat info on that web site.

MD
  • scoop82scoop82 Member Posts: 3
    I also walked away from a dealer this week. Though I liked the test drive, they couldn't get me color and features I wanted and would not deal on price. Told me Toyota is selling Corollas very cheap and have to make money on new Venzas. I'll wait or look elsewhere where customer service is better. That Honda looks interesting. Anyone know about its seat height? What attracted me to the Venza was seat higher than sedan but not as high as some SUV's. Comfortable to get in and out.
  • macpromacpro Member Posts: 52
    Considering the amount of snow we got this month alone and the below 0 temperatures, clearing the windshield has been rather good.

The front and rear side windows stay defrosted, although I had to sit at work for a few minutes before going to lunch today until it warmed-up enough to melt the ice on the inside of the windshield. It was -2 this morning.

The rear window does have a windshield wiper. Some snow does accumulate when parked, if it's snowing of course.
    Thank you very much for the info. Have you tried powering down the windows when it is really cold like going through a drive through or toll booth? With my Avalon the power windows seem to stop working when it gets a little below freezing.
    Went to the bank today and with the temperature just below 0, I didn't have any problems with the window going down. Keep in mind, I only purchased the Venza just over two weeks ago, but I've been very happy with it.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    My dealer finally received its demonstrator -- a FWD V6 with the Premium Package 1 and the JBL system (no Nav, no glass roof). MSRP is $33K+ (over 33, less than 34).

I kept the test drive pretty short due to the afternoon rush hour traffic in the area. I just wanted to feel how it drove and whether I felt elevated like an SUV. Power was not a problem (and not expected to be). The road noise was remarkably contained. It drove pretty much how I expected to. No surprises (and none wanted).

I was prepared for the worst for the interior after reading mixed reviews on the dash and door surfaces. I was pleasantly surprised that the upper door surface and parts of the dash are actually covered in a rubber-like covering. It's not as soft as the surfaces on my 4Runner, but definitely much better than rock hard plastic (compare it to the Highlander).

Interestingly, the upper door panels on the rear doors are hard plastic. I guess Toyota figured that the back seat passengers can get the cheaper surfaces. It looks OK, so it's not a problem. The rear also has plastic door sill trim and no courtesy light on the doors. Again, not a problem. I won't be riding back there. :)

I was also worried about the graining of the plastic. If you look at some of the photos of the interior (like the listings on eBay), the pattern looks strange from certain angles. In person, it's much less noticeable. The leather on the seats also share a similar grain, so there is consistency throughout the interior. The console is a snap to use.

The Venza's headliner (also a sore spot in many Toyotas) looks and feels much better than the headliners in the Highlander and 4Runner. The mat in the cargo area also felt much more plush than your typical car carpeting.

My biggest concern right now is cargo space. It actually looks smaller in person than it does in photos. My 4Runner can fit about 4 medium sized suitcases without too much of a struggle. I think I can fit 3 in the Venza if they are stacked properly. The space-killer is the steep angle of the rear window, although that's what gives the Venza it's sleek appearance.

A surprising secondary concern -- the exterior mirrors looked big in the photos, but seem (and actually are) much smaller than those on my 4Runner. Probably not a deal-killer, but it will take a little getting used to.

Overall, I was very pleased. One more thing: the JBL system -- in my limited testing with just radio stations -- sounds much better than the JBL in my 4Runner.
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    I haven't taken a close look at the Venza yet, but from what I've seen of the Highlander and what I've read(same V6 engine, virtually the same length,width and ground clearance, Highlander roof doesn't taper down toward rear so it has greater cargo capacity, same AWD system as I understand it, etc.), why would a person buy a Venza rather than a similarly priced Highlander?

Ken
    I haven't taken a close look at the Venza yet, but from what I've seen of the Highlander and what I've read(same V6 engine, virtually the same length,width and ground clearance, Highlander roof doesn't taper down toward rear so it has greater cargo capacity, same AWD system as I understand it, etc.), why would a person buy a Venza rather than a similarly priced Highlander?

Ken
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's primarily intended for a certain specific demographic that will be travelling as two. In this configuration with the seats down it's plenty big enough. It is NOT intended for families with 3 kids and the need for huge amounts of room for 'stuff'.

It is intended for those who don't need more passenger room than the front seat for long trips. In this regard it's far bigger than a Camry or Avalon for these long trips. It's nicer than a Camry but about on par with an Avalon.

It's far far far nicer and more comfortable than the RAV but on the upscale side not as nice and comfortable as the Highlander. It's a 'tweener' intentionally.

If you need more cargo room and/or seating for 7 then it's the Highlander. If it's the most effective use of your funds for cargo and seating that you want then the RAV is for you.

In addition it serves another purpose which is key to all Toyota products. It serves as a backstop on the downward side of the Highlander. by being in the $26-$29K range it eliminates the need to discount the Highlander below $30K. This supports the profitability of the Highlander which is the key vehicle. It's what the Corolla does for the Camry.
    ..."why would a person buy a Venza rather than a similarly priced Highlander? "

I think that is a fair question. For me it is because I would like something that drives and handles and has a smoother ride more like a car and takes up less space, easier to manuever etc. I'm tired of driving SUVS/"Trucks." Now that I have less kids, I don't need as much room. I also believe the gas mileage is significantly better, so it would be more economical to own (especially the i4). I also think that the interior is way nicer in the Venza. And, doesn't the Venza cost less than a similarly priced Highlander? (Although they do seem to be discounting Highlanders by quite a bit lately) And then for me personally, the console seemed to invade space for the driving foot too much. There is no room to relax your foot to the right. (The Rav4 provides a nice little space or this). But that's me, this seems to be a trend in a lot of cars these days and it probably doesn't bother most people that they have to hold their foot straight up and down. I haven't even sat in a Venza yet either though so we'll see. I have been seriously thinking about buying an Avalon (I have an 97 now as my second car with my Suburban that I want to get rid or). The two things that I don't like about the Avalon are the lack of 4wd (live in snow country) and wanting a little more room and versatility for luggage and hauling things.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That was such a good post, Macpro, I moved it into its own discussion:

macpro, "Toyota Venza iPod and MP3 integration" #2, 24 Dec 2008 6:30 pm
    The current Highlander is just too big.

We already have a Gen 1 Highlander just for the two of us driving on long trips and it has plenty of excess space for anything we need to carry. The Gen 2 Highlander is just too big and too expensive.

The Venza, when a hybrid option is offered, will fit the bill perfectly for us.

Also the first Venzas being offered are the loaded variety at $37K-ish. This is a stretch except for someone who desperately loves the Venza and all its options. When the new 4 cyl is offered in the Spring with a price in the $26K-ish range then it makes a lot more sense than the Highlander.

The question then will be 'why buy a RAV4?'.
    I agree with you 100%. I was so disappointed when the gen2 came out I started to look at other vehicles. I think they increased the HL just put in a larger third row seat which I have no need for. When my lease was up I was lucky enough to find a gen1 left on the lot. After 7 years I think they have perfected it. It's my second one. The Venza is also a little larger than I would like but the 4 cyl version may be the next replacement. However I must say I'm now interested in the new 2010 Equinox that gets 30mpg with a new 2.4L 4 cyl. -no hybrid!
    I think the new HL is a dinosaur now.
    "I'm now interested in the new 2010 Equinox that gets 30mpg with a new 2.4L 4 cyl. -no hybrid! "

I had been seriously considering an Equinox. The one thing I really don't like about it is the steering. One of the bigger complaints seems to be the play in the steering and that is one thing that drives me nuts about my current Suburban that I am looking to replace, especially on the highway. I will have to investigate the 2010 Equinox and see if that is likely to change.
    Except for Toyota's web site and a few web ads, I have yet to see any Venza advertising. Nothing in the auto magazines (except a few 'first drive" articles - but no commercial ads), no television commercials and nothing in newspapers. Has anyone seen anything to promote the Venza? With the auto sales market as bad as it is, you would think Toyota would be spending a few bucks to promote their newest model.
    I saw a commercial for the Venza while watching Monday Football (Monday, Dec 22nd). They featured the Blizzard Pearl. I have not seen it any other times since then.
    The Gen 2 Highlander is just too big and too expensive.

The Venza, when a hybrid option is offered, will fit the bill perfectly for us.

Aren't the dimensions (other than height) almost identical between the Highlander and Venza? I know they are practically the same length (~189 inches).

For those who have the occasional need to seat more than 5 people, I think the Highlander is a great choice. For those who don't, then the Venza may be the better fit.
  • mattvenickmattvenick Member Posts: 1
    So this is my first time back in North America since I graduated, and this looks a lot like Renault's Vel Satis. Am I alone?

The Vel Satis is a premium car that competes with Merc E-Class and others in Europe, it's a great car and popular among government officials (in France more specifically).

It's been around for 7 years, and has survived well on the merits of its uniqueness. Albeit, Renault is a very quirky company - that I really like for that reason - and it might not suit the very basic Toyota styling, but in my opinion this car has the potential to go FAR!
    You are correct about the dimensions--they are vitrually identical in both length and width but not height--so I was surprised that two of the responses said that the Highlander was too big. While the Highlander is taller(it doesn't taper as you move to the back), it is actually shorter(approximately half an inch).
    Hmm, I think if re read the responses you'll see that we were both Gen1 HL owners that were disappointed Toyota decided to bloat the size of the new Gen2 HL. I also commented I wasn't thrilled with the size of the Venza which is basically the same as the Gen2 HL. So I'm not clear why you are surprised.

The gen2 HL has become a 3 row boat but I'm sure will it appeal to some. I think there are better options out there however if you think you need 3 rows.
    The Venza is certainly an interesting vehicle but I'm glad I don't need to make a decision for another year since competing options are coming out like the 2010 Equinox and hopefully Honda will bring over the Accord Tourer. I'm sure there are others coming on the way.
    And in our case my wife specifically doesn't like the height and breadth of the new HL. Yes they are the same base dimensions but the Venza is 'smaller'. It feels smaller, it handles smaller and it's less money when the 4c option arrives.

The RAV is cute but too basic. The Highlander is very nice but too big. The Venza meets our needs better.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    (The Toyota Tire Pressure Monitor alerts the driver when tire pressure is critically low. For optimal tire wear and performance, tire pressure should be checked regularly with a gauge; do not rely solely on the monitor system.)

Does this mean Venza does not display each individual tire's pressure like in Highlander? I wish they included that feature!
    Unfortunately it only indicates if one or more tires are low, but not which one. Not sure how Toyota chooses what vehicles get individual tire pressure indicators vs just one indicator?
    Watching the Packers and Lions game and just saw a Venza commercial. Last Venza commercial I saw was during Monday night football on Dec 22nd.
  • CanStackerCanStacker Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

Since Toyota has only built about 6500 Venzas, about 5 per dealer, and the fact that Georgetown is taking an extended holiday break, it would seem that incentives on the Venza may be little ways off. Also, since they launched it in December instead of January 2009, there will be a model year change later in 2009 ( before the current inventory is even close to one year old in actuality.

Thank you for this and other message boards on Edmunds.
  • microwaveguymicrowaveguy Member Posts: 6
    Well I have been going back and forth via email with a local dealer on a v6 with the JBL and sunroof package. He just won't move off of the MSRP and since I am in no hurry I'll wait. Really like the car but just don't want to spent that much ....... Ok I am cheap. I am thinking that the rebates will get better in 2009 and the end of the year clearance will be the time that I can get one.
    Hi Microwaveguy,

I did a little research since I've been looking for a replacement for my wife's RAV-4, and the Venza is on the list.

The largest Toyota dealer in the country ( Longo Toyota) only has 20 Venzas. Now while that may seem like alot of cars, this is a dealer that routinely has north of 2500 (Toyota only + Another 400 - 500 Lexus) cars in stock at all times. If Toyota or Lexus makes it, they have it (they are, I believe, the second largest Lexus dealer after JM Lexus in Florida).

I have typically seen between 1 and 5 units in other dealer inventories. ( Northern California)

Also, since they build it in Georgetown, they can control the flow of them, if sales don't take off, without a huge impact to the overall plant.

Frankly, the Venza almost seems like a purely incremental vehicle, using alot of existing parts, so the additional costs to develop and produce that vehicle are small compared to a totally new vehicle with a dedicated assembly plant ( i.e. Tundra )

But having said that, I would think you might start seeing some incentives (APR, Cash, etc..) in the spring, in the warmer weather states at least. They have a goal to sell about 70,000 units in the first 12 months.

Thanks, CanStacker
    Hi Microwaveguy,

I did a little research since I've been looking for a replacement for my wife's RAV-4, and the Venza is on the list.

The largest Toyota dealer in the country ( Longo Toyota) only has 20 Venzas. Now while that may seem like alot of cars, this is a dealer that routinely has north of 2500 (Toyota only + Another 400 - 500 Lexus) cars in stock at all times. If Toyota or Lexus makes it, they have it (they are, I believe, the second largest Lexus dealer after JM Lexus in Florida).

I have typically seen between 1 and 5 units in other dealer inventories. ( Northern California)

Also, since they build it in Georgetown, they can control the flow of them, if sales don't take off, without a huge impact to the overall plant.

Frankly, the Venza almost seems like a purely incremental vehicle, using alot of existing parts, so the additional costs to develop and produce that vehicle are small compared to a totally new vehicle with a dedicated assembly plant ( i.e. Tundra )

But having said that, I would think you might start seeing some incentives (APR, Cash, etc..) in the spring, in the warmer weather states at least. They have a goal to sell about 70,000 units in the first 12 months.

Thanks, CanStacker

============================================================
    ( Note: I just checked and the year end inventory, not including Lexus, stood at 1300 new cars. Must be reducing it a little to get in sync with sales run rates.)
    ============================================================
    The reason for the inflexibility at the moment is that there just aren't that many Venza's in the pipeline. Most stores are getting one a month!!! That's it. Sell it and it's gone until next month.

As production ramps up and the 4 cyl models begin to arrive I'd expect only a very very very limited availability of V6 loaded versions.

But even with that consider what Toyota's planned expectations are for this vehicle. At tops.. in a normal 15 million unit market ( 2009 is expected to be in the 10 million unit range ) the Venza was forseen to be a supplemental vehicle selling about 75000 units.

With about 1250 stores in the US that averages out to about 60 per store per year....or 5 per month. But as in most businesses 20% of the stores do 80% of the business. Huge retailers like Longo in LA are 10 times larger than your local store. They will get 10 times the volume of an average store. Ditto Laurel Carmax in MD the #2 store in the US. Most local retailers will get one or two Venza's a month even at full supply.

But that's all predicated on a booming automarket with full production. This year is likely to be the worst year in our lifetimes as regards to sales, and thus production/availability. I'd expect most stores to have one on hand at any one time. Sell that one and it's gone.
  • microwaveguymicrowaveguy Member Posts: 6
    Well since I am in silicon valley I have 5 dealers within 15 miles of my home. All of the dealers have atleast 2 with one having 6 instock. LA has always been the place for a good car deal. I have a friend that made a deal over the internet for a car and flew down , signed the papers, drove home and saved over $1000 by doing that. Like I said , I am in no hurry. When I find someone ready to deal , I'll be a buyer.
    I am in Norcal also and, in general, good deals can be found here. We just don"t have the megadealers, they have down south, that beat each other over the head every week trying to move the metal. It's a more orderly type of,one only,chaos.

Hey, it's Norcal!! We're used to paying more for everything!!
  • shockopoppershockopopper Member Posts: 1
    The Sienna makes a heck of a lot more sense for roughly the same money (and driving dynamics, frankly) as this wagon-like thingy.....especially for a family of 2 or more. Just get over the image thing for gosh sakes - you have two kids already - does this appear any more cool in your driveway than a minivan? (I doubt it)

The problem is when you have 2 or more kids they always come with friends...and 5-passenger vehicles won't cut it unless you want to leave some behind.

To me, this vehicle makes more sense for aging Boomers who don't want to climb up into their SUVs anymore, but still want some of the higher driving position that they offer.

To each his/her own, but I don't think this thing makes much sense. :confuse:
  • billbill Member Posts: 3
    I bought the first Venza a Seattle area dealer got in stock. It has every option except Rear Entertainment (not available with Panaromic Roof). With my trade I paid right at $2000 over invoice which was my offer price. They took it gladly. This is a buyer's market even with this new launch. On the East Coast Fitz Mall is selling Venzas for $700 over invoice. I would think someone could probably find a West Coast dealer that would do the same. I couldn't and I looked a little. But when the 4 cyclinder models begin to be delivered in January dealer inventory will most likely continue to stack up. There will be deals out there.
  • toysalesman1toysalesman1 Member Posts: 1
    Official horsepower is 268hp @ 6200 & torque is 248lb ft @ 4800 rpm.
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    Congratulations! Which dealer did you get it from? Did you negotiate with any other area dealers?
  • madofcarsmadofcars Member Posts: 1
    First look, its a SUV or a Cross-over. Either way, there no sense in argueing... but I would like to point-out that on the Toyota.com website, they put the Venza in the "Cars" and not in the "SUVs and Van"....I thought that was quite interesting.
  • supermsuperm Member Posts: 16
    Just how close is this to an RX350, especially now that the RX is going for close to invoice?
    They are related (same engine, for example), and if you assume that the Venza is going for MSRP and the 2009 RX350 is being closed out closer to invoice, there probably is a pricing overlap.

Even though the '09 RX is at the end of its model cycle, it's still a very nice vehicle. Plus, you'd get the longer Lexus warranty and the premium dealer experience. The '09 RX has memory settings for the driver, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, and LED tails, none of which are available on the Venza.

On the downside, the '09 RX will be replaced in a couple of months by the redesigned 2010 model, so your brand new vehicle will already seem "old" -- for some that's a big deal. For others, it doesn't really matter (especially if you prefer the '09 styling). The '09 RX also lacks some of the features found on the Venza (but will be in the '10 RX) including the Smart Key and an aux-in jack (the '10 has USB input which is even better).
  • dlancer1dlancer1 Member Posts: 2
    I already have this car. It's called a Chevy Malibu Maxx SS. Oh and I did not have to pay over $1000.00 for my dual sunroof or over $28K for my V6 Maxx. I love my SS and it has some features that the Venza dosen't offer. I'm sure Toyota will sell a few, but it's already been done before.
    That's a new one...the Pacifica, Flex, and Taurus X have been mentioned before, but I didn't even think about the Malibu Maxx. I think it's closer to a "hatchback" than a "station wagon" or crossover.

The Maxx was axed before GM started to pay more attention to the quality of their interiors, though the Saturn Aura I recently rode in still seemed to be a (albeit much smaller) step behind the Accord or Camry.
    I generally agree with your comments, but I have a question. You said that "this vehicle makes more sense for aging Boomers who don't want to climb up into their SUVs anymore, but still want some of the higher driving position that they offer". I also saw a similar statement in a brief review of the Venza somewhere else. Why do people say it's easier to climb into? Both the Venza and the Highlander have the same 8 inch ground clearance and both have the high seating position, so how can the Venza be easier to get into?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Venza's height is 6 inches less than the Highlander. It's the interior design and the lower exterior profile (not ground clearance) that likely makes it easier to get into.
    Hey dlancer1, some of the key Venza attributes that appeal to me (and other prospective buyers) are: High ground clearance of 8.1 inches, 70 cu ft of cargo room and available all wheel drive. I didn't think the Malibu Maxx met those requirements, so it really would not have made my list of cars to look at. Does Chevy still make the Maxx?

MD
    My brother has a Highlander and I have a Venza and although the ground clearance is the same, it's easier for me to enter and exit the Venza.

Toyota has a good example on their web site. They state: "A unique low and narrow sweeping door rocker allows passengers to smoothly slide in and out of the Venza. Unlike SUV's, a low step-in-height eliminates the feeling of having to climb into the vehicle.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/venzaexperience/index.html
  • dlancer1dlancer1 Member Posts: 2
    No Chevy discontinued the Maxx after 07. I do think they would have sold better if they had offered AWD. When you think about it the Maxx might have been a little ahead of it's time. As soon as Chevy drops the car because of slow sales gas prices rise to over four bucks and people start looking for cars to replace there big SUV's. I think the interior of my car is pretty nice, but not as nice as newer offerings. Reliability is great as it has not been back to the dealer except for regular maint.