Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1987 Ford Ranger 2.9L no power to Fuel pumps???????

flemdog28flemdog28 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Ford
have a 1987 Ford Ranger that has new fuel pumps on it we checked the Relay and when we turn the key we are getting power to it, but is not turing on the pumps. We followed the orange wire to the inertia switch and it is getting power to it but when it loops around to the other wire on the connector it is not getting power,. We tried 2 inertia swithes and not getting anything. we are wondering if the computer is shot or if we are not getting a good ground somewhere for the wiring. or would it be a bad relay plug. we are thinkg about bypassing the wires instead of them going into the inertia switch just to see what happens. i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    If there is more than one relay, they usually are the same, so you might be able to switcha different relay to the fuel pump relay and see if this is the problem. Also, check where you plug the relay in that there is not corrision down in the female plug areas.
  • Options
    1987ranger1987ranger Member Posts: 2
    did u ever figure out wat the mroblem was i would be interested to know because know one knows wats wrong with mine
  • Options
    gnlweldergnlwelder Member Posts: 3
    inside of cab on the firewall right at the carpet line there is an emergency start off switch that gose bad. One red wire (if there red) comes from the relay the other gose to the fuel pump. you can bye pass this switch. ;)
  • Options
    1mrwonderful21mrwonderful2 Member Posts: 6
    I'm going back to my 86 Bronco II, with I believe same set up, and look to see if this is original reason for my issues. Mechanic by passed all the factory stuff and direct wired the secondary pump, which ultimately burnt out. THIS is great info and will put an idle toy back into action, if it works ! Thanks !
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I bought My truck and some one did that to it, took me a while and the help with a family member to find it. There is also a fuse link off the starter solenoid (not sure how to spell it) next to the battery that gose to the starter relay that will bow. I went through both fuel pumps also. Some had a high pressure pump on the frame just behind the driverseat, a low pressure pump in the fuel tank.

Hope this will help out
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    if you need to bypass the switch, hook these wires together this is for EFI Systems Engines with injectors
This discussion has been closed.