Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus ES Navigation System

loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
edited April 2014 in Lexus
Sure it is nice to have a GPS nav system but what happens after a few years?

The map will be outdated and I think you can buy an upgrade DVD for around $300?

I think up to certain time, Lexus will not provide update anymore then what can owners do?

GPS option cost a bit to get at the beginning but it doesn't make a lot of different when it come to trade in or resell. So does it worth the money to get the GPS?

Or maybe it's better NOT to get the GPS option and save the money to get a portable GPS. That way, you don't have to worry about the updated build in GPS.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    lexpaullexpaul Member Posts: 40
    Well I have thought about the pros and cons about getting GPS and for me I know my wife is bad with directions, so it would be a great help for her and maybe by the time an upgrade is required the price would have dropped??, I'll take my chances. I just couldn't see myself mounting an after-market system on the dashboard of such an elegant car, but to each his own.
  • Options
    bonketybonkety Member Posts: 3
    :)
    Newbie with 2 questions.

Question 1.
    Is there an "easy" way to remove the plastic (metal?) panel that contains the two central vents and the navigation on a 2002 ES300? I'd like to install a vent-snap-on back-up camera monitor and run the 12v wire to some source of power in that area. Alternatively, if the upper dash (that goes all the way to the windshield) could be removed, that might work too. I'd like to hide this power-wire for the camera. Also, is there a preferred source for power that can be easily identified?

Question/Step 2.
    This back-up camera, like most, is wired to the back-up lights. Given that the back-up lights are on the trunk section of the rear lights (and that the camera will go on the area of the license plate), is it easy to remove the liner on the trunk panel (that opens)? Any tricks or traps to those little snap-things?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.