Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 BMW X3 lost key

thebazithebazi Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in BMW
I just bought a used (2005) X3 but I did not get a second key for it. I called the local dealership and was told that it would cost me 175,-US for the key and another 60,-US for the program. Sounds pretty expensive does anyone have any experiences with this problem?
Martina

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It seems unfair that you would have to pay for something that should have been included in your original purchase. Have you talked with the person/organization from whom you purchased the X3?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • thebazithebazi Member Posts: 2
    I bought it from a dealer and was told that they have got it through an auction and that it came with only one key and without the manual. I was to exited when I bought it that I didn't realize I only got one key and no manual. So I guess I'm out of luck on this one.
    For what it's worth, you could try offering to split the cost with the dealer since they really should have provided you with two keys when they sold it to you. Who knows? They may go for it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356
    I bet he bought the truck "as-is". It won't hurt to ask about a second key, but the dealer will probably tell him to go pound sand. I think my wife's 2004 X3 2.5 came with four keys.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I bet he bought the truck "as-is".

That's for sure. But, in my humble opinion, it is unconscionable to sell a vehicle with only one key. We'll wait and see whether a little guilt is worth a discount. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I only got one key with my Wrangler, and I've somehow managed to survive...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

and I've somehow managed to survive

So far. Knock on wood, but virtually everyone locks oneself out of one's vehicle at one time or another. And heaven forbid that one should lose a key but it does happen. A second key is a lifesaver in those situations. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I got two of the electronic keys with my 2005 VW Passat. When I lost one it was going to be $275 plus programming. I made do with one for several months and then one day decided to wear a pair of pants I had not worn in several months and there was that $275 key. I am not really a big fan of these new high priced keys. I read the keyless keys can set you back a grand if you lose them. Like the one in the Prius.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dealer price is $278 for a Prius and you can expect some more to have it programmed. Still a bit nuts.

Both my cars have 3 keys, counting the spares hidden under the bumper. And I've had to use them now and then.

Thebazi, try calling another dealer or two.
    So far. Knock on wood, but virtually everyone locks oneself out of one's vehicle at one time or another. And heaven forbid that one should lose a key but it does happen.

Agreed, but with a soft top Jeep I just unzip the rear side window, reach in, and unlock the door... :P

I just unzip the rear side window

And if you lose your key ...? :P :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    New 2009: two regular keys and a plastic valet key. That plastic one doesn't look particularly durable though.

I heard $200 to replace an X3 key through the dealer.

Apparently you have to use the regular keys every now and again or they run out of juice.
This discussion has been closed.