Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• Options
    e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    Back from trip. I was not expecting temps to go well below zero.
    Vehicle rode quite well. But still have issues. Vehicle wants to follow road imperfections a bit more than I'd like, but superior to the way the Malibu handled.
    I have some issue with the seat back support. I may have to go to dealer to see if I understand how it is supposed to work. It won't be the first time the manual seems to have error. It seems that both directions may be changing when only one corner of the button is activated.
    I had a dead battery. Buick customer service sent someone, much farther than I suspect necessary. He broke part of the battery case. (not careful and very cold plastic) It was difficult starting the next morning as well and because even at home it was slow spinning after the vehicle sat for a few days I had already been suspicious of battery. I took it to local mega-dealer and they determined the battery was failing tests. They put new battery in but I now notice the paperwork says a 30 month battery. That definitely does not seem right for a car only 3 months old. It probably won't last the remainder of the 4 years.
    It would be helpful if someone with a loaded CXS can post the rating of their battery, warranty info on it, or even part number.
    I'm not happy with gas mileage. I suspect something is awry. Earlier I had posted that I got 28 each way on a 2 tank trip. After that trip and the loud clang some of us have been experiencing, mileage seemed to drop significantly for my local driving, about 3 MPG.
    I ran premium the entire time and was past breakin by time I reached the far end. I have not yet tallied all receipts and calculated but did on a couple of individual tanks. Computer was reading about 1MPG high and it has been indicating less than 25MPG every tank. When asked to let it run to attempt charging bad battery, I slowly revved engine a bit and noticed around 1500 RPM a mild shaking like cylinder imbalance as if one is firing weakly.
    Anyone else notice such?
  • Options
    I too recieved comments on its look. I had aired up tires the night before we left. 600 miles into trip pressure had dropped 3 pounds overnight and I had to add.
    Normally I have found automatic temp control to be quite accurate. This one is not even close having to vary the setting by as much as 11 degrees.
  • Options
    After my visit to WI, snow and below zero, if I was living in that I would likely get dedicated winter tires for safety reasons. I suspect the AWD would come with Michelin tires and likely much better than the Eagle on snow. First snow on road, I tested traction with a slight burst of accelerator. Eagle RSA spun like crazy on only a little over one inch. Many drove on this fresh snow packing it to surface. The first pass of plows was to remove drifts and most snow. It left the hard packed which was dangerous to drive on. City intersections were even worse. Salt was ineffective at those temps and I saw plenty of crazy action, likely because of poor tires and not driving carefully enough.
    I continue to say, "Tires are the most important part of a car. If they don't stop you brakes don't matter."
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It wasn't pretty but I made it home on a sleek and snowy afternoon commute sweaty palms and all.

Someone had asked about dedicated snow tires and after today I recommend them very highly. The CXS and the Eagle RSA is not designed for snow, sleet or icy roads.

This afternoon I started my commute in very light snow. Then I ran into a traffic jam so I made a detour to my detriment. The road was sleet and icy and when I tried to climb a small hill I started skidding in an "S" side to side direction. There was no traction whatsover. I don't know how I did it but I finally made it to the top of the hill.

But what goes up must come down. And this time I slid to a stop at the bottom of the hill. I heard some funny noises so I assume it had to be the ABS and stabilitrac taking control.

The traction control worked just fine because without it I would be unable to move from a stop at the red light up the hill. Driving on the snow was not too bad as the car seemed unusually quiet. That was not the case however driving on the salted and sanded sections that felt like driving on an unpaved graveled road.

Overall, the CXS with the low 19" profile tires is awful in the snow and I would recommend dedicated snow tires or stay off the road completely.
  • Options
    gberpagberpa Member Posts: 44
    I couldn't find anything on the battery outer case or the paperwork re: battery rating. Since your case broke in the cold, and my garage is now below 35 F, I was reluctant to remove mine ;-). A quick look online didn't show specs from one battery maker or a GM parts supplier. Can't you get your dealer to check out if the emergency road replacement was OEM spec? From what I can see in the 2011 Warranty Book, it should be covered under your bumper-to-bumper coverage.
  • Options
    bobinorbobinor Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2010
    Glad you're safe and the CXS was spared. Thanks for warning us all of the CXS's poor performance.

In these parts when conditions get dicey, the DOT requires dedicated snow tires or traction devices, or you can be ticketed. Since chains are discouraged by Buick and many states don't permit studded tires (OR allows them but we pay a hefty price for road damage) we are relegated to snow tires. Not the M+S rated but those with a snowflake emblem on the sidewall. Or, there are spikes-spider. They're pretty pricey might be the option for areas where you don't have snow/ice for extended periods and only need the device for short trips.
  • Options
    crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    We are taking first trip into the Northland with 2010 CXL with Michelin all weather MXM4 18" tires. Previous GM with traction control was OK not a real snow machine. Any actual experiences with this setup in the snow?
  • Options
    Thanks for info. Mine was broke when temp was at zero. I found a site that handles AC Delco batteries and the only one they listed for this car was a 60 month with something like 625 CCA. They also showed applications for battery.
    I have an appointment for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Took to dealer. I have an 09 CXL, 10K miles, as loaner. Those of this vintage are a much different vehicle. 3.8 with 4 speed is definitely not as peppy feeling. Also handles and rides like a much larger vehicle as if body is more isolated from road. There are Integrity tires on vehicle and the roaring noise they generate on black top would drive me nuts after awhile. Another shining example of GY tires. I will have to drive more to get true feeling since front tires were over-inflated 6 pounds and rear were under by 5. Someone rotated and did not reset TPMS because it was giving me the wrong tire as I drove off. Servicer said not to worry, it just came on. Certainly not inspiring if they dismiss such details. It might have been 20 pound low. Also found grit on inside of oil filler cap. Do I really want them changing my oil? Sure the filter will catch it, after it has run through the oil pump.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I own an '09 CXL and have driven the 3.0 '10 model. The newer version is peppier off the line but mostly due to the 6-speed trans I suspect as the newer car is heavier and the 3.0 is not very torquey. Surprised it has GY Integrity tires as my CXL has LSII tires as OEM equipment and they are not too noisy -- one of the things I like about the car is the lack of road noise. True, though, that the '09 feels more isolated -- part of the old Buick philosophy of being insulated from the road. Nice if you like that. I am quite happy with my '09, a very good car, though I can see myself upgrading to the new model at some point.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    This sort of setup on older might make the 4 cylinder 6 speed seem peppy.
    You're right about these tires being strange. I did a little checking and found the door sticker does not match the tires and the size on vehicle does not match for CXL. It appears someone swapped wheels with CX because they are only 16".
    I will know more today after properly airing tires, I think, but maybe not because pressure on door sticker may not be correct for these tires. But it will certainly be closer than they were with over 10# difference front to rear.
    In that configuration it also gave the feel of needing a sway bar on rear. Not the kind of float or road isolation I like and with the tires now stiffer on rear that may go away.
    During trip return on a very fast stretch of traffic I pushed my CXL to 16MPH faster than the flow. It was surprisingly tight and quiet. Wife missed guessing my speed by 21MPH.
  • Options
    I will be away on vacation for 3 weeks but I am worried that my tires will be flat and the car won't start. How worried should I be about that?

In the past I've always had someone drive the car while we are away but this time we had no such luck. Nonetheless, the car is garaged so it will not be exposed to the elements and the garage temperatures usually does not fall below 32 degrees. I also heard the fuel line freezes when the fuel tank is less than full so I am concerned about that too.
  • Options
    It seems people in the north are overly cautious about gas freezing, dumping a bottle of that antifreeze in almost every tank. The issue should only come from condensation and cold air contains less moisture. Also the sytem is closed or vented through the charcoal cannister which purges during a run cycle. As a caution the old rule was to keep your tank near full to reduce condensation and likely a wise choice in case you get stuck in very cold weather.
    Todays fuels generally contain around 10% alcohol which is the agent in those additives. The alcohol keeps the water in suspension and not pooling on the bottom of the tank where it could freeze.
    A bottle of that stuff in tank might give added protection. I'm uncertain that you'd really need it and not sure what GM position is on such additives.

The battery concern seems legitimate. Some had dead batteries after only a few days and supposedly GM fixed that with an update. I think it had something to do with shedding power load. I've never seen any indication of this happening on my car, even with the battery being dead. Once jumped it had everything come on automatically. To make sure maximum charging was taking place I had to manually turn off headlights, etc.
    OnStar notes something about not driving for five days and maybe the remote unlock from them not working. I don't know if they shut down the entire system after five days or just part of it. It sounds like you need to start vehicle to re-enable, but uncertain. You may have to contact them?
    New car? You are covered under warranty for dead battery. But if the fuel is bad, that may be your problem or fuel vendor.
    Tires flat? They may be a little low when you get back if temps continue to descend, but fine for driving to wherever you get air. They definitely should not be flat.
  • Options
    cbrzezinskicbrzezinski Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    cbrzezinskicbrzezinski Member Posts: 2
    If safety is your priority, then the LaCrosse is not for you. Check out the poor visibility all around because it is significant. Then there are the headrests that push your head forward in a winter jacket making it difficlut to turn your head back to look for other cars behind the pillar. We have had the LaCrosse for 3 months and totally regret our decision
  • Options
    rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    Sorry that its not working for you. Despite some challenges, mine is working out fine. Depending on the size of your body, you will sit in different place than I do. I am 6 ft o inches with 32.5 inch sleeve length and 32 inch inseam. With help from my Blind Side Assist, Backup camera, and good use of alll three of my mirrors, I'm doing fine. I've nearly put 4,000 miles on my 2010 CXS and have had it since mid July.

Your post does highlight the importance of choosing options wisely and taking an extended test ride before you buy.
  • Options
    Too bad you did not test drive car for your specific needs prior to purchase.
    We were pleasantly surprised when the insurance premium on our new 2010 Lacrosse CXL was only $10 per year higher than OLD Pontiac Bonneville due to safety features, including stronger roof pillers that enhance rollover protection (Federal mandate), extra airbags etc..
    We just returned from 700 mile road trip and got the $39.95 GM service deal for oil change, tire rotation and 27-point checkup. They check brake wear, battery output and all fluids. No oil use 3000 after last change with 5W- 30.
    Gas mileage was only 26 with highway speeds of 80-85 where possible. At 70 it gets 29.7, but speed has predictable impact. Traction great with 18" Michelins in light snow. Also got a DIC warning of "possible ice" -that is a first. All in all a great car with all the safety features and outstanding comfort for passengers. Thank you Bob Lutz and GM Europe/China for a well designed vehicle.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Very interesting article here about winter and tires.

http://www.imakenews.com/royalmooretoyotascion/e_article001908620.cfm
  • Options
  • Options
    I think you will find this issue with many new vehicles, pillar obstruction, because of new federal rollover mandates. A friend mentioned that the new mandates required something like being able to support four times the vehicles weight. That is a lot of strength added to the cage and it has to be added somewhere. The only other place I can think of might be adding the divider down the windshield as very old cars had. And of course they need to do it with adding a minimum amount of weight.
    I do use a bit of extra caution to look around those A pillars. It is quite hard to tell where the front or rear of vehicle is, but thankfully I have both the camera and the screen. In reverse it shows me a yellow warning triangle which is placed on screen where the close object is. Also it has an audible which increase in speed as you get closer to the object and when dangerously close the triangle turns red. This is nice, perhaps nicer than the camer itself. Clouds of exhaust condensation obscure visibility and it is even worse after dark when light is reflected into the camera. Also if the sun is bright behind you, that is trouble. And there are issues of bright light hitting the screen. Certainly some things were not very well thought out.
    As to headrests, I could not agree more. Unfortunately this is the result of the government safety nuts as well. Elsewhere I had posted a link to the hearing on the subject with final ruling. The government idiots refused designs that have proven to meet the requirements such as automatic headrest systems. The government idiots wanted uniformity. You can complain to your manufacturer but what might be more effective is to complain to your Congressman and Senator and hopefully we can get the government to fix this issue they created.
    BTW, I noticed a new Lincoln near where I parked. I had to look. If you chopped a foot off each end you'd have a hard time telling the bodies apart, aside from little trim pieces such as the chrome strip in the rain gutter on the roof. The interior appeared to have the same seats, including the terrible headrests angle. I think the Buick looked nicer on the interior but would have to be in one to compare adequately. I did notice that there was one feature not available on our Buick, it had sensors on front bumper, likely part of another collision avoidance system.
  • Options
    cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....Also got a DIC warning of "possible ice" -that is a first. "

All our GM cars ('04 and up) do this when the temp hits 37 degrees.
  • Options
    I've gotten it several times and I guess it is good as a heads up. The system could be expanded to include another warning when temp actually hits 32 because of bridges and overpasses freezing much easier than the ground. They could even add an infrared temp sensor that reads the road surface.
    Tires are of course still a big issue when it comes to road conditions. I find the GY very lacking, especially on light snow or worse.
    I have no idea what those doing figure 8's were rolling on.
  • Options
    The ice warning comes on at 36 degrees and that IS the warning for bridges and ramps which freeze earlier. After that, you're expected to watch the temp on your display.
  • Options
    I interrupt my Caribbean vacation (it’s raining no hiking today) to share this article.

“A BMW 535i sedan, loaded with options such as navigation, adaptive cruise control and night vision, costs about $60,000. The vehicle is highly rated and is powered with a 3-liter, six-cylinder engine. Buick's 2011 LaCrosse, with a 3.6-liter engine, navigation, leather and other options costs about $40,000.

U.S. sales of the LaCrosse this year have more than doubled to 56,038 through the end of November, compared with 23,237 a year earlier. Sales of BMW 5-Series sedans, by contrast, have fallen 4.7 percent to 33,746 from 35,392 during the same period.

I've driven both of these estimable sedans. Amazingly they're quite comparable in terms of comfort, performance and handling attributes, even though the BMW costs roughly 50 percent more than the Buick. But years of image-building by BMW have produced an intangible sense that one's status is elevated simply by getting behind the wheel.” Read more at http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/21/autos/Buick-LaCrosse-luxury-GM.fortune/index.htm-

• Options
    Not earlier than 32 degrees though. And having to keep an eye on the temp display would detract from eyes on the road safety.
    These devices can be highly accurate, is the one on our vehicle?
    I was just throwing out stuff that could be added as safety items and an attention getting sound. I think mine has come on while driving and encountering the preset temp, but again you are left to guessing when freezing will occur. But then the same if roads are salted, but then salt stops working at around zero degrees.
    Once you've gotten the power of computing, then it is just adding circuits with the proper software.
    I have to question the accuracy of the sensor used since it is also part of the automatic temp control and mine swings wildly. But now I will try to learn if it occurs with onscreen temp display. Thanks.
  • Options
    I park in an attached garage. When its in the 20s outside, I can be 50 degrees in the garage. As soon as I pull out (under a minute), I will hear a chime and my attention is drawn to the ice warning. As I drive over the next several minutes, a quick glance at my Nav screen tells me whether temps are dropping from the 36 degree warning or rising. That's all I need to know to safely proceed. I am always within a single degree accuracy as I drive around town. You do need to allow a few minutes with the car moving after a stop because the sensor is influenced by the temp given off by the engine block.

Reading your posts, it seems you are suffering from paralysis thru analysis. Try to keep it simple...KISS.
  • Options
    caffemavencaffemaven Member Posts: 2
    I nearly crashed today with my entire family in the car. I was driving in the right lane of the highway, I looked, signaled left then looked again to make sure it was clear like I've been doing for 30 years of driving. As I pulled into the left lane I luckily heard a loud "HONK" and pulled back at the last second. If the other driver hadn't honked I would have been toast.
    Anybody know if you can add the side impact warning system if the car doesn't come with it?
  • Options
    My DIC frost warning works consistently when the outside temp display shows 37 degrees. I have found the outside temp display in my CXS is also consistent with my home outdoor temperature monitors. Measuring temperatures is not rocket surgery. I have not found the dramatic swings in my temp controls you report. I find extreme comfort with the climate controls in my cabin. Set it and forget it!
  • Options
    Wow, glad it turned out as it did.

I don't have the side warning system although my wife wishes we had it. But I thought it only covered the passenger (right) side of the vehicle. If that's the case it wouldn't have alleviated your problem. Others who have the system may correct me.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the effects of engine heat. I had not considered it.
  • Options
    It is a wonderful system, unfortunately it would be difficult at best to add it. At the very least you'd need the mirror assemblies, both sides, and I have no idea what other components are involved other than the directional signal has to be tied to it. When signaling it lights an amber light on the bottom of the mirror to alert others. If you get the little warnings on the mirror of something present, it flashes like crazy if you turn the signal on.

I allowed my son-in-law to do some of the driving on the last trip. He knew of the system but obviously working with it as a newbie. Consequently he was spending too much time checking the passenger side mirror when traffic in our lane came to a stop. I called out and avoided a new front to my car. I can see where that front sensing system might have value.

Perhaps if you can get wiring/system diagrams you can learn the needs or what is changed with this feature. If you are a bit of a do-it-yourself guy you might be able to get the parts from a junkyard. Wiring will be an issue though because it might have been incorporated into the main bundles when Buick decided to add it. If it is added wiring harnesses and other parts you will more likely have success. And you may be lucky enough to have all the needed wiring or part of it.
    I think this system was part of the driver confidence package. From the beginning of the 2010 model till now there has been a large number of changes as to what was standard at a model level and available as an option.
    An added thought. This site,
    http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/
    and there is a dedicated GM forum where they can give you the three letter codes that are specific for this option. They might be necessary when looking at wiring diagrams to determine what is applicable.

Good Luck. I hope you have success.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Set it and forget it!"
    That is the way it is supposed to work, but mine does not. I actually see some people adjusting the setting up or down thinking it will heat or cool car quicker, but that should not be if it is working properly.
    Mine will be fine for a period of time and then it suddenly becomes to hot or too cool forcing me to change setting.
    And because bad smells enter with what is supposed to be a CAF, I have to suspect there is a common cause.
    BTW, as you point out, measuring temp is not rocket science, yet I see these signs posting temp all over town and they seldom agree with my display.
    I have a laboratory thermometer somewhere and will compare when I find it.
  • Options
    Blind side assist works on both driver and passenger side.
  • Options
    And if they worked any better the driver could be blind. :)
    Same is true for the rear warning system, but not quite for the camera.
  • Options
    Ahh, thanks, rainman.
  • Options
    jasattjasatt Member Posts: 1
    I am the proud owner (2 weeks now) of a 2011 Buick Lacrosse. Although I love the car, I would not recommend buying one without the rear view assist. You litteraly cannnot see anything behind you. In the 2 weeks that I have been an owner, that beep, beep, beep, has prevented 2 accidents. I was a driver of a 2002 Cadillac Deville which great window views everywhere around the vehicale. This car will take some getting use to as all the windows are so much smaller. Regrets? None. I bought a CXL, will all the options but the Navigation and the rear seats DVD player. The price difference between a new Cad and this Lacrosse, made this car much more desireable. The only thing lacking is the rear heated seats. But I gained a heated steering wheel, and ventilated seats. The lighting inside is beautiful. Ice blue everywhere.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ab: Please see the attached website for comments on the use of the 3.0L V-6 in the Cadillac SRX model. Previous posts raised the question about why GM delete that option in the Lacrosse in favor of an I-4 and the more expensive 3.6L. The Cadillac application explains where the engine were used. The "transaction price " for Lacrosse models is also up ~$8500 per car which indicates a stronger mix of CXS (with the 3.6 and more options) versus CXL and certainly CX with I-4 only.
    Overall a great car choice with whatever engine/trim level you chose. Only one guys opinion, but GM 2010 sales are up 7.5% with total industry up 10.7%.
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/
  • Options
    buickbillbuickbill Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I took delivery of a 2011 CXL on 12/20/10, and now have about 600 miles on it. It has 18" chrome rims with Michelins all around, set at 33 PSI cold. I'm really, really disappointed in the ride. I seem to feel each and every small crease or bumps in the road. I thought maybe it was the cold weather here in Ohio, but the ride does not improve once the tires are warm. Anyway, it's enough to rattle my soon-to-be false teeth! Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a remedy for it? Thanks much...
  • Options
    1ststate1ststate Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2010 CXS and have the optional 19" Wheels. My ride at low speed is extremely choppy. I thought something had to be wrong with the suspension but was told not. Ride on the highway is not really a problem.....
  • Options
    Is that the correct pressure for the tires according to the placard?
    Is the pressure displayed on DIC or are you reading it with an accurate guage? After a lengthy run to warm tires, what pressure is displayed?
    I have the CXS Touring Package and the ride seems to be softening a little at 5600 miles. But I still believe I hear my noise from road and suspension than this vehicle should have. Over 3800 miles of highway and loaded vehicle may have helped breakin the suspension.
    I'm still of the opinion that this vehicle should have had air load leveling on the rear.
  • Options
    We have 2010 CXL with 3.0L V-6 and H-arm rear suspension. also have 18" wheels with Michelin tires. Ride is excellent in our 6000 miles of experience. We do hear more road bump noise than with 60 series tires on other GM models. The lower profile tires have less "cushion" per prior posts on this site and telegraph noise to suspension. We use 36# cold with gauge that translates to 37# hot on the road. The suspension keeps the car down on the road, even with bumps, so our view is the noise/feedback is from the low profile tires. Other posts on 19" rims with even lower profile tires make more noise and cushion even less. We prefer the feedback from the road and the engine/exhaust as a speed indicator and do not find it to be intrusive with the triple layer glass and noise dampening on this model.
    great car so far- waiting for long term quality with this new model. Price wise- the CXL is a good choice of cost versus value of upscale options.
    good luck.
  • Options
    Is "choppy" the correct definition?
    Are you running in sport mode? That is, are the 19" part of touring package or a separate option?
    Everyone with the touring package has been getting GY tires and I'd bet they are part of ride issue as well as noise, poor in snow, and not the best on wet road.
    What is cold inflation and are you monitoring it closely via DIC?

Choppy is how I might have defined my ride on a 96 Olds Aurora when the pressure was too low. Tires I had on it were a bit soft in sidewalls compared to GY and some Michelins. The result was that not enough of the impact at surface was immediately passed to struts and less valving would open to properly handle rapid movement. Yet compression of the sidewall would take longer to fully release resulting in choppy bounce of sorts. Too much air and every small road defect would try to pass through, so I had to hunt a sweet spot for ride. That vehicle and Cadillacs were the reason RFB were created. The bodies were very stiff compared to other vehicles and would pass slight tire imbalance to the passenger compartment.
  • Options
    Crankee, you got one from the time I started shopping. That was when H-arm was standard on CXL and CXS. And that makes me wonder why they later added 19" to the H-arm, that is when you had to buy it. I sure would like to see the engineering notes on that.
    I guess I'm happy I missed that time since they later added other options not previously available such as SBZA. At the time of my ordering, the Touring package was not available on CXL, but I believe it now may be an option.
    I compared the price of CXL with options added to bring it to level of CXS and the price was quite close, but still missing some standard options that came on CXS. Also they did away with 3.0L by the time I ordered. And that may be a regret with gas prices steadily climbing.
    Does your guage agree with DIC pressure? If you are reading a garaged temperature that might be why you only see a 2# increase. If mine, 19", are read at ambient temperature for cold, I consistantly see a 3# increase once thoroughly warmed.
  • Options
    Rider: We posted comments on the H-arm and concluded it was a nice addition to the CXL that we got kinda by accident since GM may have included since CXL had AWD option and CXS had touring option at that time and the assembly line gurus made the H-arm standard for a while.
    Also posted earlier that we wanted 3.0L in lieu of I-4. 3.6L is a great engine but we went for the 2010 CXL at the time for total cost/benefit of the package. GM used the 3.0L in other models per prior posts.
    Wonder how the actual mileage is on the I-4's in 4400# vehicle?
    Yes our cold gauge (Accutire) reading is 3# less than the hot readout on the DIC and it is pretty close to DIC. Also the painted 18" alloy wheels seem to hold air in cold temps but we think that is the Michelin tire bead as much as rims - chrome plated GM rims seem to do better in the past IMO.
  • Options
    I was later told that you could always get H-arm on CXL even though it went away according to build it site. And my book printed in July says it is not available on CXL but standard on CXL AWD.
    I know it sure confused me, the changes they made during the year. And wonder if GM sales and production were confused or had their wires crossed.
    Just checked on the weight and they are still confused.
    Specs from
    http://www.buick.com/vehicles/current-vehicles/lacrosse/features-specs/dimension- s.html
    did not show 4 cylinder on CXL. And the weight is really nuts. I knew the CX was quite a bit lighter when it was available with 3.0, before 2.4. I think they have not corrected it since changing to the 2.4 and shown as 3829 lbs.
    And the CXL 4196 lbs, not saying if that is for AWD or not. But check this, the weight shown for CXS is now 4045 lbs. That can't be right.
    Knowing how mine performs in quite hilly or mountainous areas, I'd think the 4 cylinder would not be up to it, not without it constantly shifting a lot and bogging down. When mine was loaded, it bogged a bit before downshifting. Load that four cylinder with four adults and cargo and it will surely have to work even with lower ratio final drive.
  • Options
    Weight wise it has to be close to the 4400# with either V-6 since basic block is the same. could be 4200# with I-4, but CXS has to be heaviest model IMO. The CXL with AWD required the heavier ( read more hardware) anchored H-arm setup -methinks that is why they promoted it. All the engine swapping and model reconfiguring had to be done at the top cause the sales/marketing guys hate the schizophrenic behavior that confuses the customers - not to mention the lines & service techs.
    Cadillac tried a 4 cylinder and the brand suffered, so it seems they said only V-6 in Cadillac - no I-4's. 3.0/3.6L production had to be constrained by CH XI and downsizing so once again, Cadillac wished and received.
    The shifting pattern is a function of the new 6-speed and the economy first shift RPM programming as you know. We use the manual shift option on big grades to avoid the searching that results from the economy priority. We had a 98 bonneville that had to be flashed (reprogrammed) due to bad code in the shift sequence program. Same quick upshift and slow downshift but wider shift points (due to 4-spd & 3800 engine) so no searching.
    GM will figure it all out and come out with TSB's at some point- but OK for now. Great vehicle for a great price. Enjoy!
  • Options
    It certainly confused me for awhile and still a bit. Mostly on rear suspension. Around the time they stopped H-arm as being standard on upper models, I saw a number of vehicles on lot with what would be a third suspension system on rear. And in part my confusion came from what was often called H-pattern, not H arm. The H-pattern was accompanied by a trailing link and the crossbar of the H was located at the center of the vehicle. Yep, 4 arms plus trailing link. The third system I saw was very similar to what Renault used in 60's on some vehicles except for spring location. I described it at that time as a heavy cast aluminum right triangle with the right angle corner and one other located forward of the wheel center and attached to the frame by two pivots. The spring and strut were located at wheel center. On the Renault the spring was wound like a clothespin spring and located at the two forward pivots. A method that would also stop any lateral movement of rear wheels.
  • Options
    I am back from my three week vacation in the Caribbean and all the fears I had about a dead battery and low tire pressure in cold New England while we were away did not materialize. With the remote start on the key fob the car started on the first try. Wow! What a good feeling. And all OnStar and Bluetooth communications are normal. So the rumor that OnStar will not work if the car is inactive for five or more days is not true.

In terms of tire pressure I did not fare as well. The pressure in all tires dropped to 30 psi, a larger drop that I had expected and so far I have not noticed any adverse driving characteristics or out-of-round tires. The handling is the same as before though.

On a side note, my rental car while on vacation was a 4WD right-hand drive Suzuki Escudo (Sidekick). They drive on the left side of the road so at times it was a bit unnerving on some of the small and mountainous country roads. But I enjoyed my Sidekick nonetheless and perhaps will consider buying one for some fun driving around town.

Happy New Year to all and feed the forum.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Winter in New England, what winter?

Winter is here with a vengeance and we are buried under almost two feet of new snow upon the 20 inches two weeks earlier. But my Lacrosse is undaunted. Press the push button start and the engine roars to life in an instant. The heater, on automatic setting, heats up the cabin very reasonably quickly, albeit a little slower and louder than my Avalon. However, with heated steering and heated front seats the Lacrosse is truly a climate control environment.

Nonetheless, compared to the heated steering, the seat warmer is much too slow. It takes about 10 minutes before you begin to feel the warmth. That was also true in my Avalon so I would have to conclude that might be due to an engineering limitation.

Don’t know what GM can do next to improve the cabin environment but I am pleased with how the Lacrosse tames the harshest of winters and hottest of summers.

Happy motoring to all and please share your winter driving experiences.

-