Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Suburban Brake and ABS lights on?

quejoquejo Member Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Chevrolet
What does it mean when your ABS and you emergency brakes lights come on at the same time?I own a 2001 chevy suburban.

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It probably means that the ABS control unit is bad.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Houston1954Houston1954 Member Posts: 3
    This problem occured along with some other electrical issues at the same time. The apparent solution seems too simple but it worked for me after another owner I found here provided the suggestion.

There is a small ground wire that bolts to the top rear of the engine block. It can be found after removing the engine cover and looking on the passenger side of the manifold assembly. The wire comes out of the harness and goes to this block connection. I removed the connection, cleaned the surfaces and replaced. The electrical issues included the ABS/parking brake dash lights went away.

I know this sounds too minor but if it works it is better than throwing money away.

I have posted my electrical problems and this solution in another thread here as I have found there are other owners with the same or similar issues.

Good luck.
  • Options
    fr8slatefr8slate Member Posts: 1
    Same ABS/Brake light on 01.Thanks for the help-
  • Options
    billabongbaybillabongbay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy and the brake lights dont come on when the brake pedal is applied.The emergency flashers work and the fuse is good.All other (int. and ex.) lights work??????? Any members out there have any ideas?
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Check the brake switch, under the dash, on the brake pedal.
  • Options
    crazymom45crazymom45 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the shop clean that ground wire and it worked for a month. The ABS & Brake light started today coming on when i start the car and stayed on. I can turn car off and start it later and there is a chance they won't be on. The problem is intermittent. Does anyone have any other solutions?
  • Options
    1967chevy1967chevy Member Posts: 6
    i just did the same on my 01 hope it lasts, i also was told it could be a wheel sensor . i have slammed on the breakes when the lights were on it stoped fine with out locking up any wheels .
  • Options
    ckernickckernick Member Posts: 1
    2001 Suburban abs and break light comes on intermittently. Replaced all 4 shock absorbers. Problem disappeared. Hope this help someone. Dealer wanted 1400 dollars to replace computer. Charged me 45 dollars to tell me this. Why can't the dealer analyze this problem correctly?
  • Options
    revn57revn57 Member Posts: 3
    I had the dash board go nuts in my suburban. You saved me alot of time and money. The ground wire was broken off the engine block. Thank you for posting this info.
  • Options
    dawgsoldierdawgsoldier Member Posts: 1
    cant find this small black ground wire thats bolted to the top rear of egine block.2001 chevy burban..engine
  • Options
    FiddlestringFiddlestring Member Posts: 1

@Houston1954 said:
    This problem occured along with some other electrical issues at the same time. The apparent solution seems too simple but it worked for me after another owner I found here provided the suggestion.

There is a small ground wire that bolts to the top rear of the engine block. It can be found after removing the engine cover and looking on the passenger side of the manifold assembly. The wire comes out of the harness and goes to this block connection. I removed the connection, cleaned the surfaces and replaced. The electrical issues included the ABS/parking brake dash lights went away.

I know this sounds too minor but if it works it is better than throwing money away.

I have posted my electrical problems and this solution in another thread here as I have found there are other owners with the same or similar issues.

Good luck.

I'll be checking this this week. Hopefully this solves my issue. I just replaced both rear calipers and pads as the calipers were stuck, if this doesn't, back to the drawing board.

Stephen "Fiddlestring" Jones