Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Golf TDI

Comments

• Options
    jtaimjtaim Member Posts: 34
    From what I've read, you can't get a TDI in NY either. Apparently VW is trying to keep its fleet emissions average down, even though the TDI does meet the strict requirements in CA and NY.
  • Options
    dynomike3dynomike3 Member Posts: 2
    Finding one of the last Y2K GLS TDI Golf's in So. Calif., I was very excited. After test driving it I started a thorough inspection, expecting to drive away within just hours, the proud new owner of a rare Calif TDI. Towards the end of that inspection I looked underneath the car and couldn't believe what I saw.

Here in So. Calif. it is still rather warm and I had the air conditioner on during the test drive. So, when I look under the car and saw a small liquid puddle I thought it was water run off from the air conditioner. That is until I touched it. Upon closer examination I thought it was an oil leak because the liquid was light brown, similiar to 10-30W, not the redish color found in most gas engines cars.

I had them put the car on the rack and stood there with the mechanic as he peeled the plastic shell away from the pan. At this point, I still thought it was an oil leak coming from the oil pan. However, the mechanic told me (with a thick German accent), that the fluid was transmission fluid and it was coming from the pan; it just turns out that the pan was for the transmission fluid.

He didn't think it was serious, and thought that a seal ruptured somehow. Fair enough, it may very well be that simple but I didn't want to chance it. So I backed away from the deal.

While saddened yes, I just wanted to post this in case others find a similiar problem. I hope this was just a fluke. I really liked the car and would have had it in my garage today if it were not for this incident. Good luck.

DynoMIKE
  • Options
    compucarcompucar Member Posts: 21
    Finally got to test drive a TDI 2-door Golf 5-speed and I have to say it was fun! The engine was quite peppy and had a unique sound to it. To say the least I was impressed.
    GR
  • Options
    csditzelcsditzel Member Posts: 1
    are TDI GLS Golfs avaliable in N. CAL?
  • Options
    rcush1rcush1 Member Posts: 7
    just for the heck of it....where did you test drive this golf? Everytime I hear of someone getting the chance test to drive the rare creature I like to jot down the state. I've had a helluva time finding one! Also glad to hear you liked it.
  • Options
    hkwhkw Member Posts: 1
    Sold my third Corrado with 170,00 miles. What to do. A $23,000 Golf (VR6) is imho absurd. The Jetta VR6 GLS is fine, but hasn't the speed and the handling of the hardy Corrados. Saw a Golf Diesel just all proud of itself on the showroom floor. Damn, thought I, what a huge cargo space to carry my sails and telescopes. But would it fall off a cliff on it's own?

Here's the story.
    A litle slow and noisy in first gear. Faster and quieter thereafter. It is remarkably silent and accelerates easily at highway speeds. The car is of very high quality, delivers about 48 mpg overall and is, well, interesting. If you want a sports car, trot over to the Corvette or Prelude dealer. A Golf TDI is an entertaining, different, and cheap ride. No smoke, no smell, just not a dragster.

Driven sensibly, it has plenty of power and you'll forget when you last put fuel in it. Don't pay more than $16,300 (East Coast). Enjoy.
  • Options
    Where did I test drive the TDI Golf? I too had a hard time locating one and finally found one at Vorderman Motor Werks in Fort Wayne, IN. BTW, for you folks who are looking for TDI Jettas the dealer in Greenwood, IN had 3 of them on the lot.
  • Options
    ertzogertzog Member Posts: 9
    Like many, I would really like to buy a Golf GL TDI.

To bad for VW - I can't find one. And I know better than to try and deal with a dealer with the only GL within 400 miles.

Perhaps in a year or two the Brazilian built Golfs will arrive with high quality - I pity the first victims that snap up the initial production.
  • Options
    jozephjozeph Member Posts: 1
    .....and can't stop driving it!

On one of my on and off looks at the VW dealership lots a nice salesman popped out and "sold me a TDI Golf". I'd been researching the diesels especially the TDI and after owning three of the early beetles I was convinced it was the way to go. With the youngsters now old enuf to have their own auto it was time to get back to having my own toy. And a "toy" it is. I've even been accused of 'road rage' by the wife. Who me?
    With only over 2 months of ownership and 6000 miles of driving I'm convinced the salesman did me a favor.
    This 'toy' is a Y2K, indigo blue automatic. Mileage has ranged from 42mpg to 49 mpg (I think the fillup stopped too soon on the low end mpg). But with a 60/40 ratio of highway/city driving the average is 45 mpg which is the advertised highway mpg for an auto.
    Well, this is VW number four and the best so far. If they keep making them this way, I may be going for number five (but MANY miles from now).
    BTW, my only negative feedback was when I put my headlights on and didn't have any.......two bad bulbs. A QUICK fixit at the dealership had them on again.
  • Options
    Yay, got me a TDI.

Used the vw.com site to find dealers in an ever expanding ring until I found one with one in stock 70 miles from here.

Test drove it and loved it even more than the road feel of the jetta tdi I'd already tried. Told them I'd drive it home for the carorder.com price and after whining for a bit they agreed.

The over the road feel/performance is so superior to the echo and focus zx3 I had been considering it not even fair to name them in the same group (which they are not in, even when the others are fully loaded).

Now we'll see if VW really has its quality act as together as it feels when I'm all new toy rosy eyed.
  • Options
    narveynarvey Member Posts: 3
    still love the car. Unfortunately had to bring it to the dealer today due to a faulty lock on the rear door. It seems the part has to come from Germany and could take 2-3 weeks. It's been two weeks since I reported this to the dealer. Anyways , they loaned me a jetta in the meantime, regular gas engine..... Need I say more. I want my diesel golf back now!!!! Whaaaaaaaa! There is no comparison.
  • Options
    mhurstmhurst Member Posts: 2
    I've owned my vw y2k GLS TDI now for about two months and I would just like to let people know some problems I'm having. First I had installed an aftermarket sound system which sounds great and I didn't puchace an aftermarket alarm because of the std. factory one. Well my car got broken into very easily and I'll tell you how they did it. All they simply had to do was pop the cover off of where a key lock should have been on the front passenger door latch and open seseame. They're in and my stereo is gone. Bummer.

Second My drivers side seat heater only worked for a couple of days when I first got it. I brought it into the dealer and they started replacing components of the seat heating system ruling out one component after another (elapsed time 2 days on the bus) then only to have the dealer tell me it was the element in the seat that was faulty. So they order the part while I continued driving the car. Finally their parts dept. calls me and tells me It's in so I made arangements with the service dept. to drop the car off for the day. They said it would be ready that day, Ya Right! A week and a half later after sending the seat away to be rebuilt by an upholstry shop I pick up my car again.(very Bitter by this point). I'm Driving away (this being a cool evening here in Canada) I try my Seat heater only to find out it still doesn't work. Rage Sets In!!!!

Any body else out there problems? Let me Know!
  • Options
    fastfocusfastfocus Member Posts: 42
    It's stories like these that have convinced me NEVER to buy a Volkwagen. Sometimes I'm surprised VW hasn't been run out of the US market entirely, a la Renault, Peugeot. et al. For now (and for the past twenty years), HONDA RULES!

P.S. I drive a '90 CRX - don't be confused by my handle.
  • Options
    jtaimjtaim Member Posts: 34
    It's nice to see yet another Honda fan keep his head in the sand.

I've owned 4 Hondas and they are nice, but I'm not so stupid as to think they're the best thing since sliced bread. Now I'm enjoying a perfectly reliable VW Passat that drives much better than any Honda I've owned.

Learn to be more open-minded - it'll do you good. At least be mature enough not to run around spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
  • Options
    ivwivw Member Posts: 1
    Yes, while Honda makes a dang good car, they have not sent a consumer diesel, especially one that performs like the VW. In fact I can't think of a company that has produced a diesel car for so long. Granted VW diesels used to be noisy, slow and smelly (if you don't like the smell of diesel). The ironic thing to me is the noise alerted my parents to when I was arriving home in my teen years and the slow-ness kept me from many tickets. The one time I was pulled over I think the officer felt sorry for me that I got going so fast down the hill but could hardly make it back up the next hill. I grew up on the farm and diesel is a sweet homey smell to me (probably next to manure). Now I'm a grown up computer geek and live in the city. The only thing that reminds me of the good 'ole days is the "smell" of my Jetta. I am about to get me a new TDI, but I won't give my Jetta up until after my son leaves home. Heh, heh.

I feel sorry for people who have to cut other's down (or their cars) to feel better. My father's family is a VW and Chevy family, but his brother is a Honda and Ford family. I can honestly say we've both had our share of difficulties with our cars and trucks.

A final note about the troublesome-heated-seats-Golf. The way I see it the dealer should have handled that one better. Not only is this person probably disinclined to buy another VW but I doubt if they will go back to that dealer for any auto purchase. I have a VW dealer locally that is the same way, so I will drive the extra 50 miles where there are three VW dealers in close proximity and they compete to take care of their customers. I guess I would have demanded to speak to someone 'in charge' and probably I'd be driving a loaner car in the interim, on the grounds that if they didn't I would have to go elsewhere for my next auto purchase. Anyway...
  • Options
    fisher71fisher71 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if there was any further information to be had regarding the bans on the import and sale of diesels in California and New York? Maybe I've misunderstood. I'd like to think I have. Are any other states considering such legislation? My concern is for how such a trend might effect the cost of fuel, parts, repairs and even insurance. Presently I live in Baltimore City. Naturally my hope is to soon own a diesel or else I wouldn't be pondering such things. Any information would be great. Thanks.
    Also...To my amazement the second dealer I called (just a few miles away) had a Golf GL TDI. So I went out for a test drive and I must say that I loved it! Sadly, I'm not quite ready to buy. Still saving my pennies.
  • Options
    norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Diesel's future is related to big rigs. 18 wheelers run on diesel and their lifespan is at least 20 years. So diesel will be around for a long long time. Besides, diesel will be made cleaner by the oil companies and this will reduce pollutants.

In Europe, diesel is more highly (bad english) refined than in the USA to reduce emmissions. I am sure in the future the States will also have cleaner diesel.

SO please.....don't worry about not being able to get diesel for your golf, beetle or jetta. It will never be more difficult to find than it is now.

My 2 kroner,

NorwayDoug
  • Options
    fisher71fisher71 Member Posts: 2
    Hey thanks NorwayDoug,

I appreciate the insights. In my searches on the web I have stumbled across similar information. In fact, one particularly intriguing topic was "biodiesel fuel". Apparently a mixture of diesel fuel and vegetable oil.

However my questions still remain. Especially regarding current legislation. Apparently, as I understand it, the states of New York and California have already effectively banned the import and sale of diesel automobiles. It would seem they do not see the future of diesel automobiles as being so bright.

So, as I said before, my concern is that other states my follow the example. I'm hoping to find more information about this possibility.

Thanks again,
    Jeff
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    This in response to the VW Owner who had such a terrible time at the dealership with his TDI regarding his high speed stereo and heated seats.

While it appears you intentions are very good, in treating yourself to all the nice options they make, perhaps this will be a listen to you in evaluating better what you actually need in an ideal economy hatchback and what you possibly could be sold to you.

I am curious if you had a removable face plate to your aftermarket stereo, and was it removed from the car when it was parked???? Was the upgrade to the VW stereo offered NOT good enough for your listening???? Do you think that heated winter seats and the cost of them rival a good winter driving coat and an adequate heater in the vehicle??? Surely, these items have nothing to do with safely, and everything to do with excess. That does NOT sound like the theme of owning a VW TDI but rather a Lexus or something.

While your intentions to treat yourself are admirable, people who have been through a few decades of cars as well as snow would perhaps have chosen their options much more conservatively. For example, an engine block heater would seem to be a much more worthwhile option than heated seats. They prolong the life of the vehicle, get your warm faster, and are relatively easy to replace.

Hopfully you will be wiser next time around and still be able to enjoy your new vehicle.
  • Options
    takerutakeru Member Posts: 2
    I have been a VW owner for the last 6 years since I purchased my 1975 Beetle. I loved that car and drove the wheels off of it, literally. Last weekend the front drivers wheel decided to go for a drive apart from my car.

I started looking for a new car to replace the old one. After some serious searching I decided that I would be interested in purchasing a Golf. The one decision I had to make was if to go for the gas or the diesel. So I put together a car on VW's web site. What I came up with was the GL with the TDI in bright green with beige interior and the 6-disc changer.

I started making phone calls to dealers around me and found that the only Golf within 150 miles was a green TDI with beige interior with the 6-disc changer on a dealers lot within 30 miles. I went up immediately and test drove the car.

I cannot believe that this is a diesel engine. Peppy, quiet at high revolutions, and plenty of power for the weight. At 80 mph the engine just went silent. I turned down the radio and could not hear a thing.

Needless to say I purchased the car the day I drove it. It was just too weird to find exactly what I wanted and have to drive to even look at another one. It has been a long time since I have had this much fun with a car. Fate is funny that way.
  • Options
    gotnadsgotnads Member Posts: 19
    Don't make me go nuts. I have been looking for a Golf GLS or GL TDI with 5 speed transmission for weeks now. All of the buying services have put me in touch with dealers that say, "We can get you one in 2 months if your order now!" Here in the northeast no one has them (forget about NY and their ban-- that is a strange state anyway).

I'm glad you are enoying your car. Just be more considerate of those who are searching high and low, and still come up empty handed. We get jealous easily.
  • Options
    takerutakeru Member Posts: 2
    I certainly did not mean my post to sound like some sort of brag about how I had somehow beat all of you who were looking for Golfs. I was really just trying to relate how strange of a situation led me to find my Golf.

Well, I have driven the car for almost week and the only problem I have found is that the back passenger headrest will not come out of the seat back which prevents me from laying down the seat fully. Has anyone else seen this before?

Best of luck of all of you out there who are looking for a Golf TDI. Keep up the faith, you will find one and it will be good.

takeru
  • Options
    markl123markl123 Member Posts: 2
    This is a great resource for those interested in Golfs, I am so glad I found it. I do have a concern from a previous post that hasn't been addressed since. The post described how easy it was to break in to the passenger side door of a Golf.
    "Well my car got broken into very easily and I'll tell you how they did it. All they simply had to do was pop the cover off of where a key lock should have been on the front passenger door latch and open seseame."
    Obviously new owners of Golfs won't be prying at their doors to see how easy it is to break into, but has anyone else heard of this complaint? Does this seem possible. The reason I am asking is that I have recently put in an order for a y2k golf. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    markl123markl123 Member Posts: 2
    This is a great resource for those interested in Golfs, I am so glad I found it. I do have a concern from a previous post that hasn't been addressed since. The post described how easy it was to break in to the passenger side door of a Golf.
    "Well my car got broken into very easily and I'll tell you how they did it. All they simply had to do was pop the cover off of where a key lock should have been on the front passenger door latch and open seseame."
    Obviously new owners of Golfs won't be prying at their doors to see how easy it is to break into, but has anyone else heard of this complaint? Does this seem possible. The reason I am asking is that I have recently put in an order for a y2k golf. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    I have been seeking a Golf TDI since last Sept. to test drive. So far, all I have found was one used Golf (I think it was a 96). Oh, I have found some TDI Beetles here and there and several Jettas with the TDI but Golfs are just plain hard to find. I have just about given up. If they are this hard to find what happens when you need service? Will it be a pain also?
  • Options
    bixentebixente Member Posts: 1
    Howdy. I just purchased a Golf TDI and am very very pleased with my awesome machine and positive buying experience. I had originally intended to buy a Civic, then a Golf GL (gas) and
    then after stumbling upon the Ted's TDI Forum decided to pursue the TDI.

At first I dreaded going to dealerships. There was rarely a Golf on the lot, and if there was it was loaded up with luxury items; salesmen were pretty uninterested when you told them what you were looking for. I was fortunate that I didn't have to buy right away...

Anyway I finally found a mellow dealership in Portland OR called ArmstrongBuickVolkswagen. They were strictly low pressure and one of the salesmen
    , Kevin Posey, was a TDI enthusiast. He was very knowledgeable and very straightforward. There happened to be a silver GL TDI "in transit" and I put a deposit down. About 3 weeks later the car arrived and it is tremendous.

That's my 2 cents. I appreciate Edmunds as a good resource in the car buying process.
  • Options
    tsodentsoden Member Posts: 6
    Is it recommended to put a turbo timer on a TDI?
  • Options
    muranimomuranimo Member Posts: 5
    What is VW charging for car loans? I have been told several different rates at some of the dealers and want to know if I am getting jacked up.
    Thanks for your reply
  • Options
    Let's see...as a result of my post, #66, I've been told, directly and/or by inference, that I have my head in the sand, that I'm closed-minded, that I'm immature, and that I've spread fear, uncertainty and doubt. Also, that "ivw" is compelled to feel sorry for me. I must be the devil!

Truthfully, I admire the Golf TDI and would seriously contemplate the purchase of one if I could be reassured that the stories I've read and heard (anecdotal, I know, but troubling all the same) represent only a small minority of unhappy owners. I'm worried about buying a TDI only to have reliability problems which will become all the worse due to a lack of good service and support from VW of America and local dealerships.

I love the car itself, the incredible efficiency and torque of the motor, and so forth, yet I wonder if it'd be silly to jump off the Honda bandwagon after so many years of really terrific reliability. And, I'm wondering if the reaction to my post came because people absolutely love their TDIs or because VW owners are defensive because they secretly think Honda makes a better product. To get down to brass tacks, Hondas do seem more reliable (see Consumer Reports, etc. - also see Road & Track's Used Car Classic article about the CRX: according to their data it was phenominally reliable), yet cars like the Golf and Passat TDI just seem more fun and somehow more lovable.

I'd love to hear reports from the field. I know about Fred's TDI page but I'm a little afraid to believe what I read there, intriguing as it is, because I wonder how objective such true enthusiasts can be. (But why are they enthused?, you ask. I know, I know.) At any rate, if you have good advice, I'll be listening.
  • Options
    bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    also see
    Road & Track's Used Car Classic article about the
    CRX: according to their data it was phenominally
    reliable), yet cars like the Golf and Passat TDI
    just seem more fun and somehow more lovable
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't see HOW the Golf TDI could be more fun than my '91 CRX. That is my exact problem right now, actually: what to replace "old (fun and) faithful with as it nears 10 years and 150,000 miles.

My verdict on the Golf is that it might approach the handling of my CRX with about $2000 worth of tires and suspension mods for a base GL. (I sure as heck am NOT going to pay $23k for a GLX and then spend another $2k on suspension. For the price, and the intended market, VW really blew it on the GLX suspension. Small wonder they are going to "upgrade it in 2001!!)

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Toyota MR2 Spyder in the spring. A great handling, fun car for $21k...sign me up. On the other hand, for that money I could buy a Prelude right now. Oh, choices, choices...FWIW, my wife still wants me to buy a used 911.

Bruce.
    your co-host in Smart Shopper
  • Options
    yep, you're right, there's not much on the market that'd be more fun than a CRX, but I think the TDI motor could be fun, and quite livable, because of the torque. Most of the time I shift my CRX at about 3500-4000 rpm, and I like the idea of having serious torque at even lower revs than that. And, it would be nice not to have to rev higher than 4K to get maximum power. (Gee, maybe I'm getting too old for my CRX!) In short, I'm intrigued by the Golf TDI and the Focus, yet wonder if I won't be sorry later if I don't play it safe and get a Civic. The choice would be easy if Honda would build something with a little more sauce. BTW, I saw a test between the Miata and the MR2 Spyder...must have been Automobile mag but I'm not sure...and they called the Miata the winner, which at first surprised me. Oh, well, food for thought. 'Later!
  • Options
    bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Your right about the Honda fun-factor. For me the only cars Honda has produced in the last 10 years that got it right are the CRX and the S2000 roadster. Of course the CRX did SO MANY things well and the S2000 does only one thing well (it rips up the road between 7000-9000 RPM). I don't have a killer commute, but I still can't see having a daily driver that only cooks at 10/10ths.

Back to topic:

That TDI torque is great and with a chip you can get 180 lb-ft !!! This is also at a little higher RPM (by ~500RPM). It's an awesome engine, no doubt about it.

Still, like you, I have become spoiled by Honda reliability. It's not that my (wife's) VW have been bad, but the CRX has been phenomenal: 140,000 on the original exhaust, shocks, CV joints.

Bruce
  • Options
    moesy1moesy1 Member Posts: 3
    i need to sell my golf--great car great mileage

asking $20k, 2500 miles with CD player
    black on black interior, sunroof and splash guards
  • Options
    fredzofredzo Member Posts: 1
    Who has new golf tdi w/auto transmissin ? I wonder how about its performance. I tried my local VW dealer, but they don't have tdi w/auto.
  • Options
    great post, man. I'm short on time so I have to be brief, but suffice to say you made me want to go out and get a Golf TDI, pronto!
  • Options
    moesy1moesy1 Member Posts: 3
    Great performance with 38 mph in the city
  • Options
    gatewood1gatewood1 Member Posts: 1
    I drive 60 miles one way to work and have done so since 1989. In that time I have owned and driven several different cars. In 1996 I decided to try the Passat TDI. It sounded like the vehicle for me. Three and one half years and 120,000 miles later I can honsetly say that this is the best car I have ever owned. I have been thinking about replacing it in a year or two. However, I will only consider TDIs from now on.

The new Passat (same chassis as my wife's Audi A4) with a TDI engine would be a great car. As nice as my old Passat is, it is an old design.
    Until such time as VWOA decides whether it will sell the TDI in the new Passat. I am limited to the GOLF, JETTA, and Beetle.

What I am most interested in hearing from GOLF/JETTA/Beetle TDI owners is how well VW did with noise and vibration. I understand that this delayed the introduction of these cars while they worked it out.

The next thing I am interested in hearing is everything about the automatic transmision. As much as I love my Passat TDI, I have found myself wishing for an automatic. I guess I am getting shifless in my middle age, but the availability of a TDI automatic is good news to me.

If anyone had told me ten years ago that I would own a diesel car, I would have told them that they were crazy. After living with one for the last three years, I do not want to be without one now!
    I am concerned by the decisons of CA and NY to ban diesels. While I realize that diesels do have higher particulate emissions than gasoline vehicles they are lower in every other respect and more efficient to boot. Let's hope that national emission standards modeled after CA and NY do not become a reality.
  • Options
    danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    Just want to caution people about Darienzo's point #9 in favor of TDI's that they are cheap to maintain. The new TDI's have a timing belt change interval of 40k miles and they are more expensive to change than the gas engine. I've seen costs ranging from $300 - $500 for this service. Do search on Fred's TDI forum for more info on this. Also, fuel filters cost a bunch every 20k miles, and you will pay more for oil changes as well. All in all, they are great cars but don't think they are cheap to maintain.
    (Cheap to operate, yes, at least if you drive an average number of miles or more.)
  • Options
    workingmanworkingman Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

Thanks for all the interesting reading - which brings to mind a point; can a TDI powered Golf tow a utility trailer ~1k loaded about once a month for 40 miles at 65 mph max? I'm used to driving a small pickup but am considering a new Golf. My hauling needs are infrequent and lightweight and with a growing family I may be better off getting a Golf TDI and a small utility for the occasional dirt bike hauling or dump run.

I don't want to jeopardize the longevity or reliability of the drive train so - what do you think? Anyone ever towed anything similar with a VW TDI?

Thanks alot,
    a Workingman (aka Marc) ;^)
  • Options
    Went to the local Ford/VW dealership today, Sunday, to poke around. Found one Focus ZX3 which was unlocked, and one Jetta TDI, also unlocked (I think some administrative people were around), so I sat in both, checked under the hood, etc. The Focus looked really cool in blue, and stickered at roughly $13,500. The Jetta came in at well over 20K, and after reading that the Focus is a better handler (Automobile mag), I can't possibly justify the price difference. A Golf would be less than the Jetta, but not by a lot. Where I live VW's are considered "cool," but I have to conclude that they're vastly overpriced. Looks like my VW dreams are officially dead. Sorry, folks.
  • Options
    krazy_driverkrazy_driver Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a new car, and I've been considering the Saturn SC2, Civic Si, and other similar small cars that offer 2-doors. I never considered the Golf until today when I heard that a friend of mine walked into a VW dealership a few days after wrecking her Civic, and she walked out after signing the papers for a Beetle. So I checked out the numbers of the Golf in the Road and Track 2000 buyer's guide (I love this mag... it has every new car I could think of). The thing that shocked me (in a bad way) was the weight of the Golf. I'm sure that this is the main factor for why the gas mileage is low in comparison to other small cars.

Golf GL 24/31 mpg 2723 lb
    Civic DX/LX/CX 32/37 mpg 2359 lb
    Saturn SC1/SL1 28/40 mpg 2367 lb

these numbers don't prove much, because the Golf's engine is more powerful than the base Civic's and Saturn's, but check out these numbers...

Golf GL 24/31 mpg 115hp, 122 lb-ft
    Nissan Altima 24/31 mpg 155hp, 156 lb-ft
    Toyota Celica 26/40 mpg 140hp, 125 lb-ft

The numbers here show how the Celica has more horsepower and better fuel economy, but it is lighter than the Golf. The Altima on the other hand, is more powerful, has the same gas mileage, and is 200 lbs heavier than the Golf. This leads me to believe that there is another factor (besides weight) that causes the Golf to drink more gas. Price of the vehicle is okay with me, and if the mileage numbers were a bit better, I would get the golf in a heartbeat. But could the Golf's engine be less refined than some other engines, thereby causing it to drink more gas? Anyone, please offer insight! Thanks.

Patrick.
  • Options
    668668 Member Posts: 13
    Krazy driver, the name of this forum is VW Golf TDI. The Golf in TDI clothing gets:
    42/49 mpg - 5sp. 90hP, 155 Ft-Lbs torque.
    34/45 mpg - auto 90hP 155 Ft-Lbs
    As far as performance IMO it outperforms the 2.0 gas engine in ALL respects.
  • Options
    krazy_driverkrazy_driver Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, you're right. I'm in the wrong section.
  • Options
    Read some of the naysayers above, felt I had to check in. Go for a test drive and you will be sold.

Just past 5000 miles on my 2000 Golf GL TDI ($16,000 + tax/license). No problems at all and averaged 47 mpg (while playing speed racer) with higher mpg each tankful. Zero problems / complaints.

I'm in love.

I had an awesome 89 CRX hf for 10 years and as fun and cheap as it was it is no comparison to a TDI. Checked out focus and civics before deciding - no contest once you feel the difference behind the wheel.

The TDI drives like a V6 and the fit/finish is impecable (interior and controls are Audi-like).

I look forward to any chance to get out and drive in my TDI.

www.tdiclub.com is full of combative realists that can answer any question you may have - once you get a TDI you are stuck on them forever. Sounds cultish, yes it is.
  • Options
    for your post and the website. It's true I'm leaning away from the Golf TDI, but it's posts like yours that keep it on my list. Hope you keep lovin' yours.
  • Options
    shakroshakro Member Posts: 1
    I have VW golf with diesel engine in my home country. It was 16 years old and had 380000 km on it when a friend of mine donated it to me. I've been driving it in mountains, at seaside, in hot, in frost and never ever had any problem. Despite the far less figure of horsepower the car has excellent acceleration, On traffic light stars it was beating many other cars with more powerful gas engines. And what a fantastic fuel economy! I really missing her, especially when driving my terrible Ford Taurus.
  • Options
    kyanotikyanoti Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to buy my first new car, and the Golf TDI has most of my attention. Not that this will sway what I end up purchasing (that'll wait for the test drive), but as someone who's never bought a new car, not to mention a Diesel, and as someone who would like their car to last, I'm curious: what sort of break in should one do with their TDI? How long would this last? What have you found with your TDI's in their infancy?

Of course, I could ask a dealer, or read the manual (which, if I buy, I will do), but this might even prove entertaining. :) So what do you have to say?
  • Options
    storjstorj Member Posts: 1
    I'm the happy owner of a new Golf GLS TDI with the automatic. Just picked it up last Friday. Am starting a new job tomorrow AM so needed an efficient commuter and to date there's nothing better than a diesel, although the Ballard fuel cell is coming to a manufacturer near you soon. I would have preferred a Beetle TDI, but couldn't find a used with an automatic. Where I live there are lots of used '98 and '99 Beetles with very low mileage which would prompt one to ask why by new? A visit to a very knowledgeable dealer explained all. In Canada, Beetles are priced quite high to take advantage of the Boomer desire for nostalgia. The Golf was about $500.00 more than the similarly equipped Beetle and $1200.00 cheaper than a Jetta. This dealer had my car on the lot equipped as I wanted. To top it off, it's made in Germany. This is a one year thing, as VW screwed up their production numbers. Seems they wanted to build many Jettas and Beetles for North America. Unfortunately, the Beetles aren't selling as well as they had been hoped. They forgot about the lowly Golf over here. To pick up the slack, they are importing a few thousand from Deutschland. In 2001 they are coming from Brazil, much to the shagrin of dealers. Mine said, to paraphrase, it too Mexico 10 years to get it right. How long will it take Brazil? Apparently they are 2 platform generations behind Germany/Mexico. So if you want a Golf, get 'em while their good.

Have a bad thing to report, though. When driving it for the first time at night, coudn't see the speed or the engine RPM. Seems the illumination for the speedo and tach pointers isn't working. [non-permissible content removed] happens even to the best of them. As far as driving goes, our other vehicle is a Voyager. You can imagine the difference! It does take a bit for the turbo to kick in, though. But again, it's brand new. I'll keep you all posted on how it works in traffic.

By the way, dealer tells me timing belt needs changing at 92 KM (55000 Miles) and costs under $300 Canadian (about $0.50 USF). The housing is external and can even be seen without removing the shroud. Oil changes are 8000 KM (5000 mi). I always change oil at 5000 KM anyway, good habit and cheap warranty. Glow plugs are $15.00 and installation costs the same for 1 or 4. If needed ever, would not be for about 200K KM (120K mi)
  • Options
    kevin_lkevin_l Member Posts: 1
    the Golf's are from Germany.. How abundant are the 2000 Golf TDI's in Canada (Van,BC) ? I hardly see TDI's to begin with, as much as people here like them, so I can't see them filling the dealer lots.
    To think that this is the only year they're coming from Wolfsburg is a bummer..I'm inline to get a car, but not just yet..damn
  • Options
    kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    did any one tested tdi's acceleration?
    what is the difference between 1.9tdi and 2.0 gas engine ?
This discussion has been closed.