Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Will You Do When Your Favorite Brand Dies?

2»

Comments

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    I couldn't disagree more. Porsche is one of the few cars left that has a personality. I am one who would miss those, along with Mini, certain BMWs, Subarus, Corvettes and any car that has a distinctive and pleasing personality.

I'm not sure why you spend so much time here if you consider a car just a "tool".

Maybe you can find a website that discusses routers or radial saws. :P

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    are any really heading to the chopping block?

Oh for sure, there were too many competing brands even before the Credit Crunch of '08-9. Right now there are lots of sick puppies out there.

Chrysler, Dodge and probably Hummer and Saab are just about dead. Mercury, Pontiac and GMC are on life support. Lincoln is seriously ill. Jeep and perhaps
    Volvo will probably get new owners who want their brand equity.

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I followed a new Turbo Carrera through town a couple days ago. I rolled down the window to hear that mellow sound coming from the exhaust. It was black and beautiful. I doubt the 911 goes away. It is still the pinnacle of sports cars in the World. When you consider the basic design came out in 1963 it has to be one of the longest running aside from the original VW Bug. That to me shows good original design, when they can just keep improving over several decades. I wish I could justify owning one myself.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes, but fho asked if any are REALLY going away. I'm not personally convinced they are, except Saturn in 4 years (as GM has already announced) and perhaps Hummer if there are really no buyers.

Saab is not going anywhere, the Swedish government will see to that.

Lincoln will be around for a long time I suspect (new product this year, and lots more in the pipeline), and even Mercury probably has a pretty solid future. Ford is committed to this pair. They are stupid to keep Mercury, but they are making a very good attempt to revive the Lincoln line, and they should give it a few years to see if it works.

Pontiac and GMC? Both are in GM's long-term plan, and I'm dead certain that the feds will not allow GM to liquidate as they should. Expect the taxpayers to prop up this pair at least until 2020.

Chrysler and Dodge? Well, they should by all rights be gone by June, but I think the names will continue even if the products do not. The feds will help Fiat take over the brand names and the dealer network, and we will see some Fiats and Ram pick-ups sold under those names for the foreseeable future.

So except for the Hummer devotees, who may actually have to cry in their soup if none of the oil sheiks step up to rescue the brand, everyone's favorite brand is perfectly safe. Thanks Obama. :-|

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Thanks Obama

And gratitude to using taxpayer's bailout money without their permission. :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Hasn't that been the federal MO since income taxes were born?
  • Options
    cbrowdercbrowder Member Posts: 9
    Well you asked and right now one of them is gone, Pontiac. I admit that Pontiac hasnt really been very exciting overall within the last few years, but I saw them like the friend or family member fighting addicition and in recovery. They made mistakes and you saw that they were making their way back to the way they use to be before they got "sick". The firebird, the last GTO(although a sales disappointment), the Soltice, and the G8 led me to believe that they were on the way back and will soon work the G5, Torrent, and Azteks out of their system once and for all..Now, just when I saw progress in Pontiac's recovery, they were announced dead this morning...I hope that at least the G8 can live on as an Impala SS
  • Options
    .I hope that at least the G8 can live on as an Impala SS

If GM had a lick of sense, they'd slap the Aussie nose on the G8 and sell it as
    a Buick Wildcat or a Chevy Impala, or both!

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    If GM had a lick of sense, they'd slap the Aussie nose on the G8 and sell it as
    a Buick Wildcat or a Chevy Impala, or both!

Unfortunately what they'll probably do is fix the few minor problems with the car (some people complain about the interior quality, and I don't think the stick has a very wide availability), get the car absolutely perfect, and then dump it. :cry:
  • Options
    cbrowdercbrowder Member Posts: 9
    I think a Buick Wildcat would be a great revival for a make that has earned the reputation of being nothing more than calm transportation for older people who want a different car in beige, but I personally think a high performance Buick would step on Cadillac's toes. I mean, who would buy a current DTS or STS if there were a 360hp Buick that would probably be less expensive. People might even pass on a CTS because a Wildcat based on the G8 would have a V8 and is bigger (save for the much more expensive supercharged V version).--My guess if Buick used the G8 platform they would replace the Park Avenue, but even then offering it with a V8 might eat into Cadillac sales and if they only offered the V6 to avoid that, it would be a waste of a good platform, sell poorly, and sink Buick further into the realm of the forgotten...just speculating.
  • Options
    I mean, who would buy a current DTS or STS if there were a 360hp Buick that would probably be less expensive

Buick has always competed with Cadillac at the margins and must continue to do so if it is to remain viable. A rebadged G8 would not compete with the DTS which appeals to a geriatric group that prefers larger size and FWD (never mind that most live in the Sunbelt!). Vis-avis the STS it's a question of whether you prefer luxury over performance or vice versa.

Rebadging it is a Park Avenue would imply a more luxurious less sporty alternative.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think Buick could use a personal luxury type car for image and press coverage, but I don't know if GM can afford it. I'd like to see an upscale coupe and convertible like Riviera and Skylark??? Bathe the body in some nicely placed chrome and lather the interior in nice leather with a great instrument panel. Now you've got a good compliment to the forthcoming LaCrosse that can use some of the same companents underneath!
  • Options
    That's a nice idea but sadly coupes don't seem to sell any more. Caddy may introduce a two-door CTS, if it does well maybe we could see a new Riviera or Skylark.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I saw a prototype of the CTS coupe and that it was rather stunning. I think their new design chief (Wellburn?) has a lot of potential.
This discussion has been closed.