Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

kevinckevinc Member Posts: 51
new topic started at Carlady's request...

-kc-

Comments

• nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If you read the car & driver review of the GTI GLX, you'll see that they have two main complaints about the GTI:

1) soft suspension and 2) shifter. They loved the engine and the interior fit and finish. It is also much roomier than the competition -- the GTI can actually fit two adults in the back.

The handling of the car can be easily improved by replacing the springs and struts, and by adding performance tires. Total cost of that will be less than $1000. In contrast, how much would it cost to improve the interior of the Celica?

The GTI's shifter isn't great, unfortunately. It is notchy and doesn't like to be hurried. I don't know of any cheap fix for that.

Jared
    '00 GTI GLX
  • davebayerdavebayer Member Posts: 12
    For the benefit of newcomers, this topic is the continuation of Hatchbacks Topic 7, "VW Golf GTI". That topic lasted until it was frozen on 15 Nov 99, and contains various posts of interest to anyone considering buying a '00 GTI GLX.
  • wicketkeeperwicketkeeper Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know of a company that sells seat covers for the 2000 GTI? Seeing as I have a bambino, I'm particularly keen to find covers for the back seats.

Also - does anyone know what the best leather treatment lotion is for the 2000 GTI?

Also also - I'm going to write to Car and Driver about the 0-60 times.
  • dflordflor Member Posts: 4
    ive also read the article on car and driver it
    the gti a 7.7 sec 0-60 . i can also testify having
    a 99 gti vr6 that this time seems slow. and while
    the shifter seems trickier it only takes a few hours to get use to it.
    df
    I'll bite. Hottest drivers out there, if you were giving detailed instructions to C&D on getting a recent VR6 0-60 in under 7 seconds, what would they say? What's the start like? Where do you shift?
  • swong4swong4 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2-week old '00 gti vr6, and have close to 400 miles on it. Just love the car and the engine. The manual says so go easy on the engine for the first 1K miles. I have heard others say that it doesn't really matter, and even one that said to rev it up during shifting for the first 1K miles. Can anyone tell me what their experience was, and does the engine rev more freely and feel more powerful after the initial break-in? I have not really revved the tach beyond 4000 rpm. Does most of the gti vr6's power kick in after 4000 rpm?
  • pipopipo Member Posts: 36
    This should resolve your quandry. Randy Hubbard of Raceware says the following: Read the owner's manual. The engineers at VW know what they're talking about. Until 600 miles, don't rev over 5000 rpms, and vary the engine speed and throttle position regularly. After 600, occasional WOT (wide open throttle) is ok, just don't exceed the red line. After 1000, let her rip, including full bore WOT for limited runs (but of course, nver exceed the red line).

Hope this helps.
    No one should ever base their car buying decision primarily on anybody's opinion but their own. Read and gather all the information you can, then form your own judgment.

And remember, the C&D writers are just another bunch of schmos expressing their own subjective opinions. They may have a lot of experience, but they also have their own biases and preferences.

That said, there are many different views expressed regarding the GTI's poor showing in the recent Car and Driver article. Some attribute it to pressure from certain advertisers, others talk about a Honda bias, and others (including some VW lovers) basically agree with the written analysis of the GTI (if not the actual points standing).

If you read the article carefully, much of what C&D has to say about the GTI is both positive and true. The negatives, numb shifter and excessive body roll, have been complained about by Vdubbers at length in this and other forums.

But let's put the negatives into perspective. Most car drivers in this country would find the GTI to be an extremely nimble handler, compared to most of the products that are available out there. And, as many others have noted, there are relatively inexpensive suspension mods available to turn the GTI into an amazing handler.

I also don't think there is to much to complain about with respect to the shifter. I don't find it numb at all -- perhaps not as crisp as it could be -- but overall quite precise.

Bottom line, this is a great and practical little car that is beautifully put together, is comfortable and subtly luxurious, and, best of all, that engine! It pulls very nicely starting at about 2000 rpms, and never quits after that. This cannot be said about any of the Japanese 4 bangers, which only put out at vry high rpms (annoying, if you ask me, unless you're always on a race track revving the bejeebers out of it).

Most importantly, GTI owners are PASSIONATE about their cars. I love mine, even with its minor flaws, which I intend to remedy with suspension mods in the Spring. These cars get under your skin and stay there. Kinda like falling in love...
    I cleared my first 1,000 miles in the first week, all highway miles at under 3,000 rpm.

In case you don't have a GTI VR6 yet, this means using 5th gear sometimes, and keeping it under 80 mph. Not an impossible discipline to follow.

In other words, breaking in a GTI simply means not playing with it too hard. Even after 1,000 miles, taking care of it means giving it a chance to warm up, before playing with it too hard. The oil has to distribute, especially in cold weather, where synthetic oil is apparently a plus. (I'm waiting till 15,000 miles to switch to synthetic, unless I hear better advice...)
    Has anyone's gti vr6 come in stock Continentals? Most of the posts that I've read here talk (or complain) about having Michelins and Goodyears. Mine came with Continentals (made in Germany) and I'm wondering if handling will improve with tires like Pirelli P7000's. Any advice?
    Mine are Continentals as well. I'm not familiar with the Pirelli P7000s. My recommendation would be to use real snow tires in the winter and performance tires in the summer. That will make a big difference. All-season tires are definately a poor compromise.

Jared
    '00 GTI GLX
    I too have the Continentals on my new GTI, and have had them in the past on other cars. They're very good tires for all season tires. The Pirelli P7000s are a new tire, but based on what I've read about them, and my experience with P6000s, I would predict that the handling improvement would be DRAMATIC.

Lots of GTI owners seem to like the Dunlop SP9000s. I'm partial to Pirellis, and may look into the P7000s in the Spring (sticking with stock until then). I'm also going to consider the Bridgestone Potenza SO-2 Pole Positions.
  • wjungwjung Member Posts: 1
    Pipo: I agree with most of what you said in your post. I took delivery of my GTI in August because I felt this was the car for me at this time in my life. My wife thinks I'm going through a mid-life crises, but I just seem to think I can always drive a luxury car when I'm "older". I just hope I never get too old. I have owned other performance sports car in the past, but none of them has come close in terms of build quality, practicality, and the fun factor. I love driving this car, and yes I do find the suspension a little soft compared to other sports cars. But these are personal preferences and can be remedied through better shocks and tires. The one thing I can't seem to get over is how solid the car feels! When I'm on the freeway, I always have the urge to go faster than 100 km or 60 miles per hour. And you are absolutely right on with the rpm's. During my first week, I had to check my gauges for my shifts. It's that quiet as compared to my previous manual cars. The shifter can be made better but I just learn to adapt to it.

All in all, it's a very fun car to be driving around. And that's what I found when I talked to other VW owners, whether it be GTI's, Jetta, etc.
  • jeffpupjeffpup Member Posts: 1
    Hello All, my name is Jeff and i just bought a Flash Red 2000 GTI GLX and have a couple of questions for fellow owners. First of all, have any of you disconnected the Seat Belt Reminder Chime? or the Headlight Warning Tone? I find both extrememly annoying and on my Scirocco's and Audi it was a matter of pulling a relay, but with this cars extensive electronics i am reluctant to just start pulling relays. BTW, does anyone know when we can expect a Bently Manual for this Model/Year? My other question is how do you keep the water from continually dripping/draining from the front bottom corner of the rear side windows after washing the car? I have tried to dry it out all the way around the window, and have also tried blowing it out with an air compressor, and sitll i get these little streams down my car which drive me absolutely mad, as i am a fanatic about keeping my cars "spotless". Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2000 VW GTI GLX VR6 - Flash Red
    1986 Audi 4000CS Quattro - Tornado Red
    1985 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition - Tornado Red
  • mhurst1mhurst1 Member Posts: 5
    I've owned my vw y2k GLS TDI now for about two
    months and I would just like to let people know
    some problems I'm having. First I had installed an
    aftermarket sound system which sounds great and I
    didn't puchace an aftermarket alarm because of the
    std. factory one. Well my car got broken into very
    easily and I'll tell you how they did it. All they
    simply had to do was pop the cover off of where a
    key lock should have been on the front passenger
    door latch and open seseame. They're in and my
    stereo is gone. Bummer.

Second My drivers side seat heater only worked for
    a couple of days when I first got it. I brought it
    into the dealer and they started replacing
    components of the seat heating system ruling out
    one component after another (elapsed time 2 days on
    the bus) then only to have the dealer tell me it
    was the element in the seat that was faulty. So
    they order the part while I continued driving the
    car. Finally their parts dept. calls me and tells
    me It's in so I made arangements with the service
    dept. to drop the car off for the day. They said it
    would be ready that day, Ya Right! A week and a
    half later after sending the seat away to be
    rebuilt by an upholstry shop I pick up my car
    again.(very Bitter by this point). I'm Driving away
    (this being a cool evening here in Canada) I try
    my Seat heater only to find out it still doesn't
    work. Rage Sets In!!!!

Any body else out there have problems?
    Let me Know!
  • hcj13hcj13 Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys,
    I own a '00 GTI gls, and I when I drive it on the highway around 80mph, or say 4000 rpm, the engine starts to hum quite loudly.
    Should I be alarm by the engine noise, that I shouldn't rev it so high cruising down the highway on a 2.0 engine, or that it is just the way it is with small car?
    help appreciated
    thanks

hcj13
    kevinc: can you tell me what the price of the Dunlop SP9Ks are? I may look them up in a store here in FL and I want to have an idea how much the are before I do that. Also, other than better handling/performance over stock tires, is there a compromise over increased road noise and a harsher ride with the Dunlops? Thanks in advance for your help.

Question regarding revs on gear changes...what's the maximum rpm that you can go to on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear respectively? I have 600 miles so far on my 2 week old gti vr6, and so far I have not gone past 4000 rpms at any speed or gear. Any advice would be appreciated.

swong
  • ejsejs Member Posts: 36
    I just read the C&D article yesterday. If I had read it before purchasing my GLX, it wouldn't have changed my mind.

The other cars in the comparison betray what the C&D writers were really looking for-- an inexpensive race car. I wanted a high quality, well-rounded car with a good amount of power. I don't mind at all that VW has sacrificed some racing fitness for overall comfort and sophistication; I'm not taking mine to the autocross.

One thing that did bug me was the style rankings. The GTI got a 7, tying for lowest with the beady-eyed Integra and the horrifying Impreza. After C&D mocked the Impreza for its multiple, non-functional hood scoops and pizza-sized driving lights, they give the same score to the clean lines of the GTI? Just because it isn't a steeply-raked fastback with a spoiler? And then they give a 9 to the goggle-eyed, gaping-mouthed, Grand-Prix-side-strake-havin' Eclipse? Oh, please.

It's clear to me that even though the GTI invented the "hot hatch" niche these other cars strive to occupy, it's still in a niche of its own. It's "the world's most functional sports car (TM)"-- none of the other cars even attempt to be functional. (The GTI was singled out as having the roomiest back seat-- imagine what the competition must have been like!)

If I was looking for a car along the lines of a Prelude, Celica or Cougar, I may not have considered the GTI. But I never even considered any of the other cars in that comparison. I don't disagree with what the article said, except for the 0-60 time and the style rating. It just didn't apply to my needs and desires.
    kc:

Sorry if this is asking the obvious, but I assume it's $181 for all 4 tires, right? I guess I would also need to change my stock 16" "Montreal" rims to a 17" rim to accomodate the Dunlops. What kind of rims do you have?
  • jchorn1jchorn1 Member Posts: 2
    I look forward to buying a '00 GTI GLX around April. I've read all the comments here and in the C&D magazine. Sounds like I'm going to have lots of fun. Just one thing; after seeing that Cosmic Green GTI in C&D I've decided that's the color for me, with black leather. Am I crazy? I'd like to hear from some of you as to your choice of color and why.
    Well, black is too hot and way too hard to take care of. I ruled out arrest-me-red and arrest-me-yellow, because I can get all the attention I need from the gendarmes without that kind of help. The orange and green are just too weird for me.

So I got the silver, which is more understated.

But this is really just personal taste. Buy what you want.

Jared
  • debijondebijon Member Posts: 6
    Not that the Monsoon system is great, but I am not going to replace the entire thing. Does anyone know of a good in dash C/D only that will work with the existing Monsoon system and its electronics (obviously the $250.00 VW option will). I still like the option of changing C/Ds without stopping to get to the changer and the auto pilot isn't quite sophisticated enough to let me do that while rolling.
  • kevinckevinc Member Posts: 51
    Silver would have been my first choice, but I took what I stumbled into - black on black. Yeah it's a MAJOR PITA to keep clean and is hot in summertime.. but looks great. I also like Tropic Orange and Futura Yellow...

One consideration when picking a color is resale value and ability to resell. "Classic" colors like black or silver will hold their value better and be easier to sell to a private buyer. The more "exotic" colors will be somewhat handicapped.

As for an in-dash CD player, the VW unit is $240 list, Timmons in Long Beach sells 'em for $216, and there's a coupon in the current "Driver" magazine (sent to all new VW owners) for a 20% discount off accessories from the dealer you bought the car from - or a whopping $48 bucks off on the CD planer, or $192 - quite a bargain. And of course it integrates perfectly, lighting matches, etc. I have it and it's great. Oh yeah, integrates with the changer too...

-kc-
  • dan0dan0 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a cosmic green GTI GLX and really could care less about the resale value. This is not the type of car one purchases if they are considering selling it in the future. The car itself is an absolute blast, and the color just adds to it's character. A head-turner to begin with, cosmic green turns 'em twice.
    I've had nothing but compliments and positive comments on the car since receiving it, and would fully understand if someone didn't like it.
    It's what I wanted and that's all that matters to me personally, and that's the way it should be with everyone who purchases this car in any color.
    Congrats Dan0, and I agree with you wholeheartedly - while color can eventually affect value later on, I still think it only makes sense to please yourself when buying. I've seen a couple of GTIs in Cosmic Green, I like it too! And definitely not common, also a good thing in my book..

-kc-
    I went with '00 Cosmic Green (and black leather)
    for several reasons:

[1] This was the only car I could both test drive
    and buy within 20 miles of Manhattan. I bought it
    on impulse, after I decided I'd had it with my '86
    Mazda 626 Turbo.

[2] My family always drove green VW's. But my mom
    wanted a red '62 beetle, they just shipped green
    by mistake.

[3] Nothing else about this car (which kicks [non-permissible content removed]
    on the highway; it takes real discipline to drive
    safely, ironic given my excuse was my Mazda was no
    longer "safe") makes sense to anyone expecting a
    sports car "look", so why should the color? I
    wanted a nonobvious but HIGHLY practical sports
    car. People who don't know it just think it's a
    Golf. Why should the color make sense? A funny
    time to be cutting people slack, after you've
    gotten this far?

There's nothing on the road quite this color,
    which I've very happy with.

====

Got to trade keys the other day with a 323i BMW
    convertible, the day after its owner was the
    subject of a great deal of Thanksgiving BMW
    teasing. BMW owners apologize so easily! This BMW
    has nearly the same engine, nearly the same
    gearing, and the same stick pattern, so it's very
    familiar to drive. It's 500 lbs heavier, center of
    mass closer to the ground so less roll. Otherwise
    the GTI clearly fits into this quality league, but
    handily out-accellerates the BMW as the weight
    difference would predict. The BMW owner looked
    truly stunned after seeing the GTI trunk space.

which brings me to

[4] The GTI has in-BMW's-face anti-status, which
    Cosmic Green just reinforces. Smile the smile of
    having saved at least 10 large (green).
    I'm actually becoming OK with the Monsoon stereo, as enough time passes to forget what my last stereo sounded like.

Two of my four woofers cause buzzing in door panels nearby, e.g. Natalie Merchant "Tigerlily" at ordinary volumes has too much bass. Bring it along to a test drive! The speakers are definitely not blown. I would never have put this much bass in the walls, going rather for a separate subwoofer. But there appear to be NO options for modifying the Monsoon stereo except pulling the system out head to tail. A glance at any of its wiring is seriously discouraging.

Since VW didn't give me a choice here, I hope they recognize they're in the audio business now, and that they will back up the weakness in their design by sending a mechanic (who'd probably rather be working on the engine) on a wild goose chase to find the buzz sources. We'll see...
    I bought the VW in-dash CD from the parts department at a local dealer and put it myself (unfortunately, it's PITA to do so, due to the tight quarters, but I digress). Whether or not it is a "good" CD player I'll leave to you to decide. Works fine for me, however, and integrates with the Monsoon system perfectly. Just plug and play.

Jared
    '00 GTI GLX
  • stevem14stevem14 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in the market for a new car and I think I have settled on a GTI GLX. The only other car I've ever owned is a Honda Civic hatch, which was great for the time (struggling post-college), and I was thinking about again, untill I saw the GTI and began reading about it. I'm still partial to hatchbacks, but want something sporty and fun, so the GTI seems to be a good fit.

My big concern: the sound system. My favorite thing about owning a car is driving and listening to music. I'm concerned after reading the various posts here and elsewhere about the poor quality of the GTI soundsystem and I'd be curious to hear owners' opinions. How hard is it to upgrade/correct? And how costly? Ideally, I'd like a minidisc system in the car as opposed to/or in addition to, a CD player. Any thoughts? Also, is a CD player standard, or is it extra and then the changer more still? Is there a better fit than the GTI given the sound issue? Thanks for any input -- what a great site!
    Hi Steve.. if you're a hatchback guy (as I am) then there is NO other choice that even comes close. Have you driven the car yet? You may have a lot of trouble finding one, you'll likely have to call all over hell. But it's worth the effort.

My comment on the sound system - I have a '99, which didn't yet get the Monsoon system. I have the previous "Premium" 8-driver setup. You know what? I like it - a LOT - and it's a far lesser setup than the Monsoon. I had a '97 GTI VR6 previously, and its sound system was SO bad (mostly underpowered) that I ditched the head unit within 2 weeks of getting the car, despite wanting to keep it stock. No such desire this time around, the new head is a big improvement, definitely more power, which makes all the difference. Try the Monsoon system, unless you're an ultra-audiophile, I think you'll be more than satisfied.

As for MD, I had a Kenwood MD changer in my '97 (actually it's in my closet now - wanna buy it?).
    MD is GREAT. I'd love to have it in my GTI, but I'm keeping everything stock. Neither the changer nor the in-dash is standard, though I think they're now putting the changer in all cars for $200 or $250 at the factory or dock and just adding it to the sticker. The in-dash is $240 at full list and works great, I have both, which I find is quite handy.

Good luck, let us know which way you end up going.

-kc-
    '99 GTI GLX
    '86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0
    http://www.geocities.com/klcoll
    I'm no audiofile, but the sound system works for me. The CD player and changer are dealer installed options. You can buy the changer and CD player from the parts department or directly from VW and install them yourself. The changer can be installed in 5 minutes with just a screwdriver. The in-dash CD player is more of a pain to install.

Go take a test drive and listen to the system. Then decide for yourself whether you want to replace it.

Jared
    Thanks Kevin and Jared -- I'm hoping to find one to test drive this weekend, so I can hear the stereo, but GTIs seem to be scarce in these parts (Chicago area). I've found a few on the web and I'm going to call a few dealers tomorrow. You've both calmed my fears about the stereo, and on paper 8 speakers sounds impressive. And you are right -- beauty is in the eye of the listener (though I know from experience I'm a pretty picky listener). Hate to forgo the MD though, but I don't think I want to corrupt the look of the dash with non-OEM materials. Since it looks like I may have to order mine, anyone have any luck in negotiating "deals" when ordering as opposed to buying off the lot? Given the scarity of GTIs I feel I'll be lucky to get MSRP. OTOH, I'm not in a hurry, so I could wait out the drought. Thanks again for your help.
    I paid ~$22,200, which is about $1000 off list. I found a dealer with a Silver/Black GTI GLX on the lot and started dealing. The previous 3 dealers I spoke with wouldn't deal. This one would.

You do have to be willing to walk away. When the salesman gave me the line "these are real popular, I don't think they'll discount much", I said fine, I don't need a car now. I want to buy one now, but if you won't deal, I'll wait three months when the supply is better. At three dealers I had to walk away. But the fourth was willing to deal.

Be polite, but firm. When I walked at the previous three, I told them to give me a call if they wanted to sell a car. Two of them called back -- one with a minor improvement in his price, and the second after I had already bought a car.

Jared
    '00 GTI GLX
    Has anyone purchased a "bubble" cover for the sunroof? Does it make a difference?

Cheers!
    debijon, if you already have the Monsoon system with the "VW" changer, your only option (other than the "VW" headunit) is to get a Panasonic head unit, which must also be a model with built in amplifiers, so that the speaker level outputs of the headunit may be wired to the speaker level inputs on the Monsoon amplifier. The changer is manufactured by Panasonic, and configured to work only with a Panasonic head unit (or the factory head unit, which is apparently a Clarion modified to work with the Panasonic changer).

If you don't already have the "VW" changer, then your choice of head units is limited only by the requirement mentioned above: that it have built in amps for proper wiring into the Monsoon system.
    stevem14, I, like you, anticipated that the Monsoon system would sound pretty good, based on the description I got from a Monsoon representative (8 speakers, 200 watt amp, customized equalization).

First, the bad news: I was disappointed by the result. If you are a picky listener (as you said you are), particularly if you are sensitive to abrasive treble, be forewarned, this one's an ear bleeder. I actually keep the tone controls turned all the way down in the midrange and treble, while I adjust the bass in the minus 8 to minus 6 range (for most source material) to make the system listenable for more than a few seconds.

But before you despair, here's the good news (based on hearsay, but nonetheless good news)! The headunit is apparently the weakest link in the system, and a good aftermarket headunit (with built in amps; see prior post) can transform the system. That's the fix I'm going to try.

If you haven't yet purchased your car, my advice would be not to get the "VW" changer (which would limit you to getting a Panasonic headunit). Then you will have a multitude of headunits to choose from, and you can add a changer if you'd like.

The Blaupunkt Alaska is made to match the VWs' dash lighting, but it's not reputed to be the best of the available headunits.
  • jchorn1jchorn1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the Autoweek magazine and they mention that VW is coming out with a sports suspension for the GTI. It doesn't say what parts will be upgraded. No dates were mentioned as to when, but it will be sometime in 2000.
    Everything will be upgraded - springs, shox, and swaybars. This was reported by the boys at vwvortex.com, who have a direct pipeline into VWoA. The changes will appear in the spring, along with the 1.8T in the GTI GLS. Also at that time, the Golf/GTI will begin coming from Brazil rather than Wolfsburg.

It will be interesting to see just how "sporting" they go with the upgrade. Also they sorely need to upgrade the tires, which are your garden variety, all-season grocery-getters. More suspension without more tire will be a big letdown for those who don't go ahead and upgrade the rubber after buying.

-kc-
    '99 GTI GLX (upgraded suspension & tires)
    '86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0 (ditto and then some)
    Peter -- Thanks for the response. I'm not sure it is possible to avoid the changer -- they seem to be adding it to all the newer GTIs. I've only seen two at dealers so far and both had the changer already installed (no in dash tho). Frankly, I'd prefer the in-dash to the changer, but I suppose that would make any swapping out of the head unit only more problematic. Do folks not like to change the head unit just for appearance sake? Is there anyway to leave the VW head unit in place, but rewire "behind the scenes"? I imagine that would be a royal pain, but doable.

Regarding the newer GTIs with the sport suspension . . . would it be worth waiting till spring to buy? Any word on the effect on cost, either of the improvements or the switch to Brazilian production?

One dealer I spoke with this weekend said he would be able to cut me a deal the last week of the year, but gave me the expected "GTI's are rare, they come from Germany and take a while, I can get you a better deal on a Jetta" etc. It was still nice to see one "in the flesh" -- Cosmic Green, which I actually liked (tho I'm smitten with the Tropical Orange).
  • irahelicirahelic Member Posts: 2
    VR6 Mk4 Owners,
    This is the first car with ABS brakes that I own and I am not sure if mine are OK. When I slam on them in snow or on a slippery surface, It feels very weird. Not only do they pulsate, but it feels like I just ran over a huge rock and it is scraping on the underneath of my car. I don't know if this is normal with the 2000 GLX Abs or what. Please let me know about your experiences.
    Thanks
    The early word is that the new GTI GLXs will have a standard sport suspension, consisting of upgraded springs/shocks/roll bars and -- maybe -- 17" rims!!! And apparently all GLS models will have the sport package available as a $200-$300 option.

At that price point, I'd say it's worth waiting for. Don't know if GTI GLX pricing will be affected.
    Yes, the pedal will feel weird and you will hear chattering. Check your manual. The manual probably describes it.
  • cmccollumcmccollum Member Posts: 3
    replace everything!
  • alanforrestalanforrest Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any success with improving the sound of the Monsoon system by replacing the speakers with after-market units?
    What my aftermarket stereo experts told me (they put the awesome sound into my previous car) is that "crossover" takes place in an unusual way in a Monsoon system. I clearly don't remember enough of what he meant to be entirely helpful, but don't go replacing speakers unless your source understands this issue!

My biggest objection to my Monsoon system is putting all that bass in the doors causing spurious buzzing, a serious design flaw. I've been choosing my music to compensate (Natalie Merchant "Tigerlily" or any live Dead is a no-go) and the stereo is actually breaking in sweet over time. Friends who don't remember the old system are actually blown away, want to really crank it e.g. plowing through Vermont snow in my Gislaved Nordfrost 2's for a night out up at the ski cabin.

If I could, I'd add a separate subwoofer and switch the bass away from the walls, and live with the system till I had $2,000 to rip it out and start over. If you have less than half this to spend, you'll probably be as happy leaving well enough alone.
    I did check with a dealer: The upgrade speakers listed at VW's web site are already in the GTI.
    I had been very disappointed in the Monsoon system, complaining repeatedly in posts here and elsewhere. However, I've noticed that the system has improved with time, to the point where I'm going to suspend judgment until I give it a chance to break in some more.

Speakers, in my experience, require the longest break in period before they start opening up. The Monsoon speakers started life as lean and harsh, particularly in the treble and midrange, to the point where I had to turn the treble and midrange tone controls all the way down to make the system bearable. The treble is still a bit harsh, but I am able to turn all the tone controls to the zero (flat) setting and get some pretty decent sound.

Advice to new owners: wait until your system breaks in for a while before modifying it -- unless, of course, you're planning to do a complete system upgrade. For those who want to get the most bang for their upgrade dollars, I suspect that a new headunit, followed by a subwoofer, would be the best bets.
  • dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    Agree with the comment to break the speakers in before passing judgement. I don't have a Monsoon system, but have noticed this effect on other new cars I've owned. The new speakers start out harsh and scratchy-sounded, then mellow out over a few weeks of playing at normal volume settings. Rather than have all the distortion ruin your hearing, may be better to roll up the windows and leave the radio on for an hour or two at a time!
    When the new GTI comes out with the sport suspension, does anyone think that the VW dealer would or could upgrade my GTI's suspension? Would that be better than going to an after-market upgrader?

Or is this a stupid question?
    Finally got to test drive the car -- at day and at night. Lot's of fun to drive and I'm definitely sold on the GLX over the Integra GS-R. And wow does the dash look great at night! The Monsoon sounds odd -- very tinny and shrill --but that (hopefully) will improve with the break in period. Have actually found a fair number of GLX's in the Chicago area, but the two dealers I have spoken to (including the Autobytel recommended dealer)will come much below MSRP (best offer so far was 22,595 for a green machine with CD changer if I bought on the spot; if it were another color I would have possibly taken it). The search continues . . .