Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought/leased a new car online and requested a home delivery due to coronavirus? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Advice on replacing PS Pump

I am trying to replace the power steering pump on my wife's '02 Caravan. I removed the motor mount to get to the serp belt tensioner. But can't seem to operate the tensioner. Is there a special tool to grasp the bracket with?

Any other advice? Turning into a big deal.

Thanks

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,148
    Why are you replacing the pump?

Regarding the tension arm, I used a wrench on the end of the arm, other folks claim success by using an old belt and holding it down with their foot.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • When turning the wheel at slow speed, it is noisy (my wife says so).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,148
    Hopefully you haven't replaced the pump yet. Why? There are 95% oods that the problem isn't the pump. Spend $24 and buy a new Power Steering reservior and replace that (it sits right in front of the coil pack) instead. Said another way, your problem isn''t the pump, it is a clogged filter screen in the reservior (a well known problem).

FWIW, there is one lower bolt that is accessed from behind/underneath the reservior that can be a bit of a pain to get to.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks Shipo, I'll try that trick with the reservoir. Wish I read this 3 hours ago. Time spent trying to get the serp belt off. (Still no joy). I'll let you know.
  • My 06 GC had the same issue - "screaming" from the power steering. I took out the resivour, cleaned it out and put it back in. No problems sinse. $5.00 fix. Did my fathers too (2004) the next day. :shades: