Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country 2006 camshaft sensor replacement

amirh2amirh2 Member Posts: 1
Hi,
I own a Town & Country 2006 minivan. The check engine light went on, the engine stutters and the check indicates the camshaft sensor is malfunctioning. The autoparts shop wants $400 for parts & installation.

I saw the parts online for about $50 and my question is:
1. How do I replace the camshaft sensor myself? Where is it located at?
2. Will any part that's fits my cars' model do, or do I need a specific brand?

Thanks!

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    1. The camshaft sensor is located on the front side of the engine, probably on the top, and senses the location of the camshaft by way of magnets mounted on one of the camshaft pulleys. It is a critical component of the timing; if it is malfunctioning, you are lucky if the engine continues to run! I am not sure of the exact location on these vans (what engine do you have?), but it should be obvious when you have a part in hand to which you can compare sensors mounted on the engine. Overall, it should be about a ten to twenty minute job unless Chrysler has this sensor buried in the engine somewhere (which would be unusual). Based on that estimate you received from a shop, maybe it is buried - a repair manual like Haynes or Chilton would tell you for sure.

2. You should not need a specific brand but, if you are worried, go with OEM.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    I personally always found Haynes to be the better of the 2 manuals.
    On the 3.3 and 3.8 the sensor is locate to the lower left side of the thermostat housing. On a 3.0 it is in the distributor.
  • roymassey21roymassey21 Member Posts: 1
    rt hand tail lite assy lot of water internal need info on how to disconnect plug ineed to dry and seal asy before it becomes serious