Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

97 subaru legacy outback running rough then just quit

joemama3802joemama3802 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Subaru
Hello my sons 97 legacy outback ran great until today. He was driving it then it started running rough. Then it quit completly went to try to start it ran rough but would never really stay running. Here is what i have done so far,cleaned throttle body cleaned mass air sensor. Then checked to see if fuel pump was working it was changed fuel filter. now it dosent even want to start. checked fuel pump again still working. The car has about 103,00 miles i have never changed plugs in it . When we bought car it had about 85,000 on it . Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Have you checked the plugs yet? It might be a good time to just go ahead and replace them and the wires. Aside from that, the knock sensor is also a likely culprit. That is what adjusts the timing to prevent premature detonation based on the loads on the engine. Did the check engine light illuminate? If so, read the codes out and see if that gives you any specific information.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Spark or fuel, and you've looked at the 2nd half of that.

So first try spark plugs, then spark plug wires. If that fails replace the ignition coil (those were just $80 on my 98 Forester and it only needs one).
This discussion has been closed.