Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GOLF GLS 1.8T vs. GTI GLS 1.8T

2»

Comments

• Options
    dominguezhdominguezh Member Posts: 1
    First of all. I am the owner of a 1998 BMW M3 (wife drives Lexus RX-300). I love it. However, being a software consultant I have to travel Mon-Fri and some weekends. I have been getting tired of paying $700+ a month to keep this awesome car in my garage. I was #2 in the list for the new BMW M3 in my town and recently sold the spot for $$$ on Ebay.

So, ... I decided to get rid of my expensive M3 and get a less expensive car I would not mind having in the garage most of the time but still get a good feeling when I do drive it.

It was not a hard choice. I had to get a German car. I grew up in Mexico City where VWs are very common and learned to appreciate the feel and look of the GTI. It is truly an awesome car for the money. And it has that German driving feel to it. :)

Thanks to the posts on this board and by talking to VW and racing enthusiasts I opted to get a loaded GTI 1.8T. Got every option on it. I am planning on modifying it (with taste) little by little. I got a silver with black leather.

Anyway, ... yes, I will miss the power of my M3 but you know what? 0-60 both cars do the same time sitting in the garage. :)

Please email me info on where to get good accessories and parts for my new GTI that I am picking up today. hector@japan.com
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    dominguezh, be sure to check out our Aftermarket & Accessories conference! And congratulations on your new car!!

carlady/host
  • Options
    joetoddjoetodd Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when in 2001 the VW Golf will be available with the "curtain" air bag for the head? These are supposed to be phased in during the 2001 model year, and I want one with this 3rd bag. When will Brazil (?) being installing these in Golfs? Thank you.
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    man, I am in shock hat you sold your M3 for a Golf. RWD performance to FWD cookie cutter. Wow.... Ferdinand Piech should use you as their poster boy. hahahaha..... All the best anyways.
  • Options
    4fun4fun Member Posts: 9
    I am waiting ... The Jettas on the lot already have them. Carsdirect says the side curtain will be available from the 43rd work week. Does anyone know when this is?

We test-drove a GLS 1.8T w/ auto today. My wife really likes it, great details, high quality & road confidence. Even the velour is higher grade than many other brands. Michael La Fave of automotive-review.com also recommends the GLS 1.8T w/o options. I also didn't notice much improvement with the Monsoon option, don't care for the space-eating moonroof and the unpolished wheels. The 1.8T is all that I really want, and maybe an MP3 player, and of course lots of space.
  • Options
    flobavaroflobavaro Member Posts: 3
    i have a knocking noise on my new golf 2.0 ,i just picked it last month and ,when i shut off the engine ,it shakes and knocks, can anybody tell me what's wrong with my car?
  • Options
    drewrdrewr Member Posts: 7
    I love this car....

Silver with Black Cloth, 3000 Miles, Monsoon, VW In-dash CD, 1.8T Badge (early 2000s only, as they were also making the last of the 2.0s)...

My new bride will not drive - and has not driven- a Five Speed.....

It goes this week ($18,300 OBO) richard.w.drew@db.com
  • Options
    tlewis2tlewis2 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have the M3 on order. Number 9 on a list at a local dealer. At this time I don't think I am going through with the purchase.

Can anyone give me some advise on how to sell my 'position' in line. Maybe through e-bay etc.
  • Options
    wolksvagenwolksvagen Member Posts: 4
    This is slightly off topic, but I'm sure you guys will know what I'm talking about.

I'm going to be buying a car within the next 2 months. I've narrowed my choices down to two cars. A 2001 Golf GLS 1.8T or a 1997 GTI VR6. I'm sure everyone knows all about the 1.8T. I've driven a 1.8T Passat and that is one sweet engine. As for the VR6 GTI, absolutely no compaints either. I know the owner of the '97 GTI VR6 very well (my friend's father, a car collector, who's about to buy a brand new ruby red Audi TT) and I know that he's treated the GTI like one of his own kids. He wouldn't even let my friend drive it because he takes care of it that much. It's got 60kms (36k miles) in about 4 years, which is less than average and it has power everything and leather seats. I'm sure both are equally reliable but the '97 GTI would save me about $5K or more, plus it's a V6! I'm still looking into exactly how much the 2001 Golf GLS 1.8T will cost me (through a connection), as well as insurance costs, but I'd like to hear what other people think about my two choices. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Hi to the owners of all vw, you have no idea the problems i'm having with my new golf, and that is why i think vw ( the company sucks), they don't stand behind their product. Want to know more about my experience email me at sim@idirect.com
  • Options
    my email is ...sixm@idirect.com
  • Options
    you were unlucky.. doesn't mean the whole company sux.

ps: @idirect.com... lol (employee)
  • Options
    handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    I recently test drove a Golf XLS 1.8t and asked the sales person what the difference was between the Golf XLS and the GI. I was told that the GI was the two door model and that the only difference between the two was the trim. I asked about the suspension and was told that they were the same.

I know that there is some difference in the suspension, but can't locate any information as to exactly what the difference is. I doubt that I would be able to notice a difference during a test drive (which is an indication that there is none), but would like some limited technical information as to what I would be buying with the GI. (Excuse me if someone had already noted this, but I did not see anything specific in scanning through the posts). At this point, it would seem to make sense to buy the Golf XLS over the GI: basically the same car but cheaper and with the option of four doors.
  • Options
    tbs_netbs_ne Member Posts: 2
    I am looking @ buying a 2001 1.8t GTI and I am wondering about the ASR Traction Control. Is there a noticeable difference with and without it (besides maybe getting the holeshot at the light)? Has anyone had any experience with it in the snow or mud. The dealer states that at higher speeds it kicks the RPM's down to control the wheel spin. Is it very noticeable or take any getting used to? Any info you all may have would be a great help.
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    similar traction control devices basically robs power off your car. Some uses sensors to sense wheel spins on each tires and uses the ABS to slow that particular tire down. Some will give less air or gas to the engine thus making you lose power. These are the concepts of traction control. They should work fine on your daily driving conditions when u encounter inclement weather. Just don't expect your car to drive like an AWD car tho.
  • Options
    tbs_netbs_ne Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info about the ASR. I just read about the 2002 GTI 1.8T @ vwvortex and it looks as though i'll be waiting until the summer since I am not in desperate need of a new car now. Sounds like a sweet deal.
  • Options
    I just picked up my new '01 Golf GLS 1.8T last Saturday and I'm completely and totally satisfied. I went with the luxury, cold weather, sport suspension and monsoon packages and got them to throw in a 6 CD changer. With all these options the only differences I know of between the GTI GLS and my Golf are that I have 4 doors and lower insurance costs which is fine with me :). Also, they didn't have my Indigo blue for the GTI. I personally prefer the Golf but both are great cars. That's just my opinion..

RJ
  • Options
    wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    I'm currently in the process of dumping my Dakota (5.2L V-8, 5-sp.), which is currently in the dealer's garage for a fourth time with a blown intake manifold gasket (under warranty). Needless to say, I've lost all faith in this thing.

I'm mulling over the GLS 1.8T, 5-sp, sport suspension, yada yada, VS. the GTI V-6. The upholstery, 2dr./4dr. ect, discussions are informative, but I'd like to know if the upholstery in the 2001 models (GLS) still sucks and if the steering wheel thingies you can get on the GTI are the bomb. I gather the performance of the GLS turbo and GTI V-6 are similar, no?

This discussion has been closed.