Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Commander w/3.7L V6 gas mileage

neustkgneustkg Member Posts: 35
edited September 2014 in Jeep
I looked over the real world mpg thread, but was mainly interested in the 3.7L V6 Commander. What kind of real world city/highway do you get? How does it perform on the highway (does the 3.7L V6 work well, or is it a bit underpowered?).

I was interested in the Chevy Traverse, but I've noticed that vehicle probably gets something like 20-22mpg highway and the prices I'm seeing around here are way too high imo. I've noticed a few Commanders in my area on craigslist (listed by dealers) for $20k and less for 2008's and 2009's.

I like the seating in both the Traverse and Commander in that you can get three passengers in the middle. 2 in the back is OK for me w/the Commander. I'm currently driving an 8 passenger 2002 Chevy Venture minivan w/3.4L V6, which gets at least 25mpg highway and I've gotten as high as 30mpg if I keep it under 70mph. It's city mpg isn't that great as I'll get something like 18mpg (which may not be bad to some) or sometimes a little less in the winter.

Comments

• clarkinsclarkins Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2006 Commander 3.7 V6, loved it. I was in head on accident on July 18, 2009 and totaled car, came away with only a few injuries, nothing broken. It holds up great in an accident, but mileage is another story. It doesn't matter which engine you have, they all get about the same mileage. My overall average was about 17 mpg. City usually 14 and if I was going down hill on a fresh fill-up could get up to 24mpg. But the was rear and daily real world is 17 average. But doesn't really matter, because I really loved the car, great to drive, very comfortable, and holds up in an accident.
  • ourjeeplifeourjeeplife Member Posts: 44
    The V6 is on the same platform as the V8 same weight and restrictions.. so If your planing on hauling allot of stuff the V6 could do it.. But I would chance it. Thou was there really a need for the Hemi to be installed?.. Doubtful..
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    My 2010 (which is not broke in yet) has been delivering 17 MPG in city driving and 20-21 MPG on the highway.
    Just returned from a 750 mile trip. My 2010 Commander now has 7K and we averaged 21.7 mpg. Extremely pleased.
    Just got back from a 800 mile trip. Thought the MPG was great.

link title
This discussion has been closed.