Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rear wipers not working in 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan

youfixityoufixit Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Dodge
Has anybody had any issues with the rear wipers not working in Dodge Grand Caravan??

Comments

• Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We had a problem with ours getting stuck when turned on. (01 DGC EX) I bought a new motor from Autozone, for about 50 dollars, and installed it myself. No problems. Took about an hour to replace.
  • Options
    rorytaterorytate Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    how easy was it to replace the motor? I have an issue with my 2002 grand caravan where the wiper no longer works as well.... do you have any diagrams or tips?

Thanks!
    Matt :)
  • Options
    Hi rorytate,

I'm mechanically inclined, so for me, it was very easy. I would say the hardiest part was trying to pry off the tailgate cover, without braking or damaging any of the plastic fasteners. Once off, it was pretty easy from there. If I remember correctly, The first thing you want to do is disconnect the battery. (I think I disconnected the negative battery cable only.) Remove the whole wiper arm assembly. (Save the black plastic piece, that fits in the hole in the window.) Remove all the screws, before trying to pry off the tailgate cover. (I remember two where in the handle on the tailgate cover.) When prying off the cover, try to position your flat tool as close a possible to where the plastic fasteners are. Pry each one off slowly. If I remember correctly, there is a piece of black tar looking paper, once the tailgate cover is removed. Once you remove this, just pull it off but don't damage it, you should see the wiper motor. Disconnect all wires to the motor and remove the three screws. Once you have installed the new motor and re connected the wires, make sure it works by re connecting the battery and turning on the rear wiper. Then reverse the process. You should be able to use a closed fist to reinstall the tailgate cover. (Make sure to hit your fist on top of the plastic fasteners.) Let me know how it worked out.
  • Options
    thats good information - thanks! How much was it for the new motor and where did you get it? I was thinking of hitting up the junkers to see if i can get it for less than $20...and at the same time - practicing the above so i don't have to worry about not going in to my own not knowing what i was doing...kind of like a free seminar
  • Options
    It was a brand new motor from Autozone. Cost around $40 - $50 dollars. I believe it has a life time warranty. If you've done any work on cars before, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • Options
    thanks!! By chance would you happen to have a part number? (just incase I need to supply something to them for it?)
  • Options
    That I don't have. Just tell them the year, make and model and they should be able to look it up for you.
  • Options
    Does anyone know any good websites (reputable) where I can search for the rear wiper motor? I'm not familiar with whats good and not...

Thanks
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    I have used rockauto.com for miscellaneous parts in the past, and have found them to have good prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.