Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5 Series Sport Wagons

Comments

• GLeenGLeen Member Posts: 46
    I am also comparing the 525it and the saab 9-5 wagon. I currently own a 1998 528i sedan and love the crap out of it. My lease is up and I want another 5 but this time I think I want the wagon. I would like the extra space.

have you test driven either one yet? I am worried that the 183 HP in the 528it is not adequate enough.
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    There is no comparison between the two. The BMW is by far superior. Your concerns about the 2.5L engine valid. However, I think you will find that it will be more than adequate. At some extremes (heavy passenger/cargo load and/or steep inclines) you'll wish for more torque, but if you keep the revs up (think like a 4-cylinder!) you should have no problem. Don't need to step up to the 540 V8. Of course, if BMW would wake up and import the 530 wagon, choosing a BMW wagon over the competition wouldn't be such a big deal. (BTW - we have a '01 BMW 525i Sport Wagon with Steptronic transmission)
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Has anyone here gone thru the dilemma of choosing either a 528iT (or 540), or an X-5? Several times I have almost put down a deposit on an X-5, only to read of more problems with them. I think the 5 Series is probably more reliable (than the X-5) because of A. being mfg. in Germany, & B. being now in it's 4th year of production.

I've also noticed more used '99 & '00 wagons for sale in this area (Mass.) lately, altho they seem to sell quickly. The used 540iT's seem to be priced about $10K higher than the 528's.......altho I'm now thinking about springing for the 540.

Any thoughts?
  • GLeenGLeen Member Posts: 46
    The only thing you get with an X-5 is WAD. I think. I personally feel it is ugly and would go with the wagon since it is established.

Good luck.
  • ivanapeeivanapee Member Posts: 4
    Hi

I have a 160 mile round trip commute. Which is better for the task 95 or BMW wagon. Looking for reliability, economy, durability. I was thinking about the Echo or the Jetta diesel but I could not bear to be in those for 3 crs per day.
  • fastbuckfastbuck Member Posts: 11
    We've got a 2001 525 wagon with Steptronic, and if you asked me why we chose it, I'd say none of the above. The car's had no problems thus far, but it's only 5 months and a few thousand miles old. If the several BMW's I've owned in the past are any guide, I'd expect to invest some serious money in repairs once the warranty expires. As to durability, the principal mechanicals are sound, but I've noticed lots of inexpensive plastic bits in the cabin that don't seem to want to stay put. Perhaps BMW has worked a volume discount with GM? Economy? Well, the car may not be entirely broken in, and true, we've not done much freeway driving , but the trip computer says we're averaging just over 17 miles per gallon of premium.
    So would I recommend the car? Oh yeah. But not if reliability, durability and economy are your priorities-there's a little outfit out of Japan by the name Toyota that pretty much hits those three right on the nose every time.
    And if practicality is a consideration, forget about it. The 5 wagon has barely more room for passengers or their stuff than small cars like the
    Ford Focus.
    Where the 525 wagon excels is in driving pleasure. Just walking up to it is a joy-is there any other wagon in creation as good looking? The inside's as lovely as the out, and the fun hasn't
    really begun until you fire it up. Others have criticised the steering on recent BMW's, but I find the weighting and feel of the wheel of our 5 to be just about perfect. The suspension is absolutely incredible: how can a ride this supple co-exist with this level of roadholding? One of the reasons we've put in so few freeway miles is that the 5 alwys makes the scenic route seem like the better choice.
    Britain's incomparable Car magazine asks rhetorically if there's a better car on the planet than the 5 series. I think not, and the (slightly) better looking and (slightly) more accomodating wagon is the best of all.
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    We too have a 2001 525iAT (Sport Wagon with Steptronic transmission). On the road since Mar 1st. About 5000 miles of 50/50 city/highway driving. Averaging around 22mpg with 93 octane gasoline. ALL cars today employ a great deal of plastic components throughout (in the interest of weight saving to help realize better fuel efficiency). What distances BMW from others is their choice of plastics, coupled with fit and finish. Have you looked inside a Ford lately? Absolute junk. As for space, the 5-series wagon does not have the largest passenger space in its class, but it is by no means on par with a Ford Focus for space. In fact, the rear cargo area has MORE room than a VW Passat, arguably the best value for a wagon in any class. The design quality and efficiency backed up with sound engineering make the 5-series wagon a truly wonderful car to drive. In a same-day drive comparison with the MB E320 wagon and the Audi A6 Quattro, the BMW won me over - after one block! And I drive over 50,000 miles a year. That says something for the BMW. BMW did, however, miss the boat by not offering their superb 3.0L engine in the Sport Wagon in the US (available elsewhere in the world). The 525 is just a tad bit underpowered (lacking in the torque department). The 540 may just be a bit of overkill (in power and price). But if you can afford it, and don't feel the need to maximize fuel efficiency, get the 540. BMW's V8 is a truly magnificent engine!
  • ivanapeeivanapee Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input. I know it will be expensive to commute 160 mile a day in the 5. May look at Audi and Saab too. European cars seem to still look good after many years. And the % wagon looks alot better than my mini van : )
  • fastbuckfastbuck Member Posts: 11
    with me about the internal volume of the 5 series wagon, but the EPA says the Focus wagon has 96 cubic feet of passenger space and 36 cubes for the luggage, versus 97 and 33 respectively for the BMW. That's why they classify the 5 as a "small" station wagon, and the Focus as a "midsize." The point isn't to quibble about minutiae, it's just that the 5 isn't any kind of mondo family hauler. Or so says my 13 year old, who's loathe to position his 5'8" frame in the seat directly behind the driver, who is all of 6'.
    Likewise, we may disagree about the quality of the plasic and other materials used in the interior. Yes I've seen the interiors of new Fords;I've got a 2002 Explorer, and am hard pressed to see the superiority of some of the BMW
    components. What I do know is that so far all of the pieces inside the Ford have stayed put, whereas so far we've had three different plastic parts of the 5 decide to go their own way, the power point slide out of its housing twice, and the luggage cover rattle so incessantly that we decided to just toss it in the garage. And while we're on the subject, the floor mats not only don't stay put on their cheap velcro-like connectors (which themselves constantly work their way out of the floor), they're of such low quality that Wal-Mart would be hard pressed to accept them. The ones in the Ford are MUCH better.
    Finally, on gas mileage, I can only hope we break 20 mpg someday. So far every fillup has calculated out to a very consistent 17+.
    Where I disagree with njpaguy is on the engine: while more power would always be welcome, I think the smaller powerplant gives the 525 more than adequate zest, while imparting a welcome lightness to the chassis.
    But what we agree on is what counts. The 5 wagon is leagues better than (admittedly more practical)
    cars like the Audi A6 or allroad, or Saab 9-5, all of which we considered,and basically forgot about within moments of driving the BMW. These guys just seem to have broken the code when it comes to maximizing the driving experience in a way that no other manufacturer of semi-practical cars has been able to accomplish.
    If you can find a way to pay for it, the 5 will make your long commute more bearable than just about anything else on the road.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Stephen did you ever decide on a choice b/w the MB/BWM? I am in the same boat today with almost the same prices/issues.

Since you have nearly on month since your original post what conclusions have you come to?

JB
  • boobboobboobboob Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your message. About two weeks ago, I took it in and since it wasn't blinking, they put their computer on it. It showed no fault.
    Even though they replaced the display panel twice, the said I would have to come in when it's doing it to prove it to them.
    I think it's a loose wire, also.
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Randy (njpaguy),

"In fact, the rear cargo area has MORE room than a VW Passat" Interesting statement considering the rear EPA cargo volume of the Passat is listed as 39 and the BMW checks in at 33. (this is also shown in Edmunds'numbers as well). We had looked at the BMW, Saab, Audi, Volvo, and Subaru prior to settling on the Passat. Cargo space was a priority, and unfortunately the Bimmer has the smallest of the group. The BMW certainly has MANY positive attributes, but those needing rear cargo space should look at the other brands.

George
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's review of the BMW 535i Sport Wagon is now available. Here's a direct link to Spin Around Town: 2001 BMW 525i Sport Wagon, by Brent Romans. Let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• haveproblems1haveproblems1 Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2000 528it. I have owned many cars in my driving history and this is my second BMW. I say this only to establish credibility with this board. My earlier Beamer was a three series and problematic. Anyway, I decided to buy the wagon because I truly believed BMW got rid of some of the kinks normally found in the earlier models. Boy was I wrong! My wiper motor had problems and was replaced, and my air conditioning system has been a nightmare. The plastic piece right underneath the hood which is easy so see right under the front bumper, broke in June and wreaked havoc on the radiator. Then, most recently, I learned that there is a thermostat recall, so the car went in again. I am on my 5th cup holder and was repeatedly told that this is a consistent problem because it is so flimsy. I don't care about the cupholder, but I just realized that one of my seats won't go back all of the way. I would like to know if anyone out there is having these problems too. I know that the thermostat problem is being addressed by the manufacturer and the dealers are busy doing all of the replacement work. How can I recommend this car to anyone when I am in the shop almost every three months?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    And sorry to hear about your BMW problems. While you're waiting here for feedback..., you may also want to check out our BMW 5-Series Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck.

Pocahontas

Host

• tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    I am experiencing many small problems on 2 5-series vehicles. 1999 540 and 2000 528. Both are having computer problems, e.g., seats moving around for no reason, steering wheel tilts up not all the way whin shutting off, various rattles and squeaks, and general nuisance problems. I am very disappointed with the BMW experience, but can't afford to trade. I should have stuck with Volvo!
  • deniskrilldeniskrill Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone advise the best place to locate good winter mats for my 2001 525iT? Before paying for the OEM mats offered by BMW, I am wondering if they can be ordered elsewhere cheaper and as good.

Also, I want to be sure to get a cargo mat for the rear -- I know that not all aftermarket vendors sell this part along with the winter mats.

Thanks.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    While you're waiting here for a response, you may also want to try asking (copy/paste) your question in our BMW 5-Series Owners: Accessories discussion. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    (formerly "pocahontas")
    Host
  • scramiesscramies Member Posts: 3
    Anyone out there have an opinion regarding this vehicle.

I have not yet had a look at it yet, has about 60k miles and asking price is 15k. I am replacing a van that has served us well for 10 years as we tend to keep what we buy for a long time. So with that in mind were looking to find something in this price range with a little sportiness and room for the two kids and dog.

We have a 87 325ic, a classic looker, if you ask me and we just luv the way it handles. So am interested in hearing from anyone who knows how this particular 5 series performs either good or bad.
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    Dennis,

Even though our winters here in Florida are not 'noticeable' I believe in mats.
    Have the same car, and simply got some at Walmart. VERY deep grooves, and
    so far seem to be just what I need.

Lots of rear cargo mats on the internet. I believe the drawback to these, is they do
    not seem to be available for the section left open when the rear seats are down.
    I'm using 1/4" plywood with attached rails all the way around for this purpose. It is
    in two pieces - rear lid to back of rear seat, and from this point to just behind fully
    extended front seats. The 'railing' has notches on both sides (white plastic edging
    for outdoor whiite lattice 4 X 8 sheets at Home Depot), so the two pieces mesh for one
    long surface. Of course, we use this vehicle as an up-scale truck, which is probably
    not the common usage.

Daan
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    If you're a BMW CCA member I would check with the dealers who advertise in Roundel such as the BMW Store. You can get the real thing for 25% off MSRP.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The Touring is a great car; almost bought one a year ago. The only problems I've heard of involve the complex twin sunroofs and wiring harness failures at the liftgate. If it passes a pre-purchase inspection I'd go for it.
  • rkt88rkt88 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 528i wagon I bought used at 12k miles. BMW did a service at that time but now at 20K three green dots appear on the dash which BMW says approx 6K more until service. Isn't this too long between oil changes? (14K) And is the "free maintenance really free for A and B service?
    Lar
  • crzycarguy16crzycarguy16 Member Posts: 3
    Maybe it's because i'm 18, but I absolutely love the awd 325xi wagon. Yeah, the back seat is only a little bigger than the A4 avant, everyone really wants the 3 liter, and there's a lack of cargo space. But performance and handling wise, it's got the prowess of the 3 series sedans and coupes with a little more luggage space. It's definitely my choice for a family hauler (and besides, is it really worth the extra seven grand for the 5?).
    I'm going to look at a used '01 525iT, 5sp, 10Kmi, leather, S/R, htd. seats for $37,000. The Audi dealer who's selling it says it's a "one owner trade", & is a "slate blue" with grey leather. Any advice on the price (or any other aspect)? I've been looking more for a 2000 with the larger 6 & probably auto, but this sounds like it might be a pretty good deal.
    However hunting for a used E39 wagon with a good (for me) mix of color, options, mileage is not that easy.

How does this compare with what others have paid for new 2001's? Is this really enough of a savings to buy a used one? (I know, I need to do more research).

Then, there are apparently $399/mo. leases on new Saab 9-5 wagons, so there's that to think about. Even tho I'm a BMW nut & BMWCCA member.

Any advice would be appreciated!
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    Seems a bit high, but simplest way to 'quickly' check is price out one on Edmunds,
    using last years numbers, and add $ 1500 to the invoice price.

I bought a 525iT on Euro delivery in June, so giving you my price would not be totally valid.

If questtions, my email is dva@prodigy.net

Daan
  • jmoliternojmoliterno Member Posts: 1
    I want my wife to get the 525i wagon. She is currently on her second V70 with front wheel drive. We live on Long Island and she is a teacher. She is very concerned that as the BMW wagon is rear wheel drive that she will get stuck at school if there is a snow storm (if it snows at night no problem because we close our schools very early b4 the teachers leave the house!).

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the BMW versus the Volvo V70 in snow?

Many thanks for your help.

Joe in Long Island
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    For additional feedback, feel free to also start up a "Volvo V70 vs. BMW 525i Wagon" discussion on this message board if you'd like. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Joe, haven't compared the two in snow, but my advice is:

Just get a really good set of snow tires like Michelin Arctic Alpins, preferably mounted on their own set of wheels, (from the Tire Rack for example) for the 525i. Tires really make the difference! Even AWD vehicles, let alone FWD, are not neccesarily that great in snow w/o the right tires. And modern BMW's all have traction control.
    A lot of people are brain-washed today by the myth of FWD always being better, but IMHO it's just not always so.

Good luck!
    I presently own a 1999 540iaT. My previous car was a V70 w/o tracs. The BMW surprised me at how well it does in the snow. I live in Iowa. I has out-performed the Volvo hands down. I believe it is the suspension and the traction control system that does it.
  • hedgedhedged Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a 00 528iT (non-sport) and previously owned a '98 V70 w/Tracs. Surprisingly, the BMW seemed more capable in the snow than the Volvo (I live in NJ). The traction control system in the BMW is excellent, and I was able to drive down my street with packed & unplowed snow with little problem. The problem with the BMW is trying to start from low speeds or a stop on an incline (like a driveway). In this case, the wheels just spin. I decent set of snow tires will help a great deal. FWIW, I just ordered a 325xi sedan to balance the fact that our other car is RWD.
  • genepgenep Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to purchase the vehicle above with wonderful cosmesis at a wonderful price. I heard all about the nikasil/sulfur engine problem, and this one has the alusil replacement. I read the previous post about a possible dual sunroof problem, and tailgate wiring...Any other problems I need to worry about?
  • blabdikblabdik Member Posts: 1
    Love the sport package, especially the new alloys on the 2002.Comments requested on engine capability with steptronic. Also, I am considering the slate green metallic with the stone green leather ( premium Pkg ). I have not seen any and wonder about this combination. Has anybody seen one or own one. I currently own a 2001 330i with steptronic and wonder if I would be happy with the 525. Comments appreciated.
  • 4thlexus4thlexus Member Posts: 10
    It's very quiet here. I guess not too many people are interested in BMW Sport Wagons anymore... I don't know if you are still checking this thread, but I am also seriously thinking about buying a 525it. My biggest concern was the engine. We did test drive a 525it with sport package and I was pleasantly surprised with the way it drove with 3 people in the car. I thought it was more than adequate (my wife will be driving this car with our baby and dog).

I don't think she will need the acceleration of the 540it. Besides it uses a lot of gas. It's just that I have always gone for the bigger engine with our Lexus (gs400 over 300, sc400 over sc300, ls400, etc). So my biggest dilemma is the engine. I just don't want to struggle getting onto the freeway or going up hill. If blabdik or any current 525it owners have any comments, please post. Thanks!
  • magellan1magellan1 Member Posts: 1
    I too equivocated at length over the 525it power issue. I was swayed overly by owners of the 540 sedan. Finally, one salesman summed it up for me when he told me "save the performance for a sedan". I took delivery of my 525iT on November 27, 2001. I have not been disappointed. The power and torque is more than sufficient even when loaded down. I am so happy that I did not fall into the trap of extra power. Mileage is great and the steptronic transmission gives the wagon all the pep it needs. My advice- buy the 525 and put the savings into a 529 plan for your child. BTW, my previous wagon was a Volvo 960. I pity the poor Volvo owners who have never driven a BMW wagon.
  • 4thlexus4thlexus Member Posts: 10
    That's all I needed to hear. I am going to place my order tomorrow. BTW what color is yours?
  • bchapin1bchapin1 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone has heard about an AWD version for the 5 series sedan and wagon? Seems to me it would be the best of all worlds for us in Souther Ontario for snow and et al. I parked beside a 3 series wagon this morning and it is a beauty but the cargo area is small. I currently drive a Sable and need something about that large for cargo and my Collie and her large crate!! The 3 series might work, but I'd have to put one back seat down just to shove the crate in lengthwise. Oh well, maybe it could work!! Any comments/information would be welcome.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    I've read in a couple of brief articles about the next 5-series ("E60," which will debut fall '03) mention it might get an "xi" (AWD) version, presumably to better compete with Audi's A6 Quattro models. But since the American public prefers SUV's by a wide margin when it comes to AWD capability, and since BMW already has the X5, I don't think they feel as compelled to offer an AWD 5-series as they did with the 3-series (although they are developing an X3 as well).
    Bchapin1- I have a 99 540iaT and live in the No. Plains. While we have had mild winters, I've had the chance to drive it in some pretty bad conditions. I was amazed at how well the trac control system worked, and that was with all season Conti tires, not winter tires. I will eventually buy winter wheels and snows for it and anticipate very good results. IMO the suspension is so good in this car, that it goes through the snow and ice like Lance Armstrong through the Alps.
  • sisk168sisk168 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    My name is Allen! Just get a 99' 528 wagon last week and love it so far. With sport, preminum pkg plus cd changer. BMW dealer certified. Am living in north california. Just say hi to all of you!!
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    They have a comparison test of Euro-spec 520i, 530i, and 540i Touring. Rare to see so much interest in Touring models.
    Greetings:

I just bought my 99' 528i wagon with sport pkg which is 17'' tire. I looked at user manual and it says "it's not possible to put on snow chain on 17" tire" And indeed when I look around the tire, the spacing between tire and cover is very limited.

What should I do if I go to ski 5 times a year and might need a snow chain? Any suggestion is appreciated!! Or if I can anyway get a fitted one from Kragon and the chain expert at control station is skillful to put them on??

Thanks,
    Allen
    Chains are a real pain; I'd recommend instead to just invest in a quality snow/ice/winter tire/16" wheel set and swap them out every winter. With Blizzaks, even a powerful rear-wheel drive car can handle most winter conditions short of an icy blizzard.
  • mod62mod62 Member Posts: 38
    How much did you end up paying for your car. Is it 5 speed?
    I got it around 30 grand. It's an auto transmission. One reason ot make rush decision is BMW is offering 2.9% APR at this time that makes thinkless for snow condition.

snagiel : I am not so sure if I want to change tire 2 times per year. Since I went to lake tahoe skiing 5 time a year which might require snow chain control. I would really prefer if you have experience that successfully put on a snow chain on 17" tire?? Generally there is no icy condition around san francisco region that need a winter tire on all time.

Thanks,
    Allen
  • tofor67tofor67 Member Posts: 3
    'Lo all,

DW and I are thinking about grabbing a '99 528IT w/ around 30K miles for about $24K. Since it's still under the new BMW warranty period (4yr/50Kmi), I was wondering how the warranty is transferred to the new owner especially when it's a private party sale. Is this a hassle or is it pretty straightforward?

Also, while reviewing all the 5 series boards here and elsewhere on the net, I was wondering what specific things I should be looking out for on this model - especially any electrical or tranny gremlins.

Thanks in advance.
  • willmon1willmon1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I am new to this board, and have been offered a price $1670 over invoice for a new 2002 525iT wagon. I have sent some emails and called a couple other dealers and are waiting for their replies as to whether or not they can beat that price. Do you think this is a reasonable price for a 2002, or can I do better?
    (steel blue with auto trans, cold weather and premium packages)

Thanks!
    I've heard of a couple of $1k over invoice deals, but they've all been on 525i sedans. You might be able to bargain down another hundred or two, but it's certainly on the lower end of the reasonable range.
  • willmon1willmon1 Member Posts: 4
    I just might try bargaining a bit more! ;)
  • cipolinicipolini Member Posts: 3
    Anyone,

My 95 525 was involved in a collision two weeks ago. The car was being test driven by my mechanic when it was hit in the rear by a 2001 M5 and pushed into a 2002 Toyota truck in the front. The car as been declared a total loss. Essentially the repair cost, slated at roughly 19k would surpass the Blue Book value of the car, which has been estimated at 16k.

The insurance company has made a proposal, their first, offering a little bit over Blue Book value. The only problem is that the noted amount barely buys me a car of similar value. I bought my car in 1998, when it was essentially 3 yrs old, with 40K. My position is that in oder to get something of equal value, a 99 528 wagon, the settlement would have to be slightly North of 25K at least.

Any advice?

-d
This discussion has been closed.