Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    Are those other cars you talk about manual or automatic? I wonder if it just means you need to get the "hang" of the clutch. The Subaru clutch was definitely different than my Volvo was. But, man, with your 2.5 engine and manual, you should be able to really launch. I wouldn't recommend it all the time, though.

Juice: what oil filter do you use? I hear talk that the Purolator is the same as the OEM. Trying to find a better price on the OEM by checking around at different Subaru parts places. My dealer wants more than $8.00 per filter!! Gotta fix that....
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    Both manuals, you might be right about getting used to driving it. I refuse to do clutch dumps or anything like that...In any event I am sure that you could outlaunch me, subymamma =)

My brother said he doubted I would notice any difference after the break-in, that it's probably the gearing (or my driving).

Yes, juice you are correct, the OBS revs 1k rpms lower hiway and is much more quiet and composed (and less roll on those backroads)

However, I wouldn't mind test driving that new RSX.

(I just want to stress that I really like my new car and I do not feel it is underpowered, just seems a little slow at launch but that could be driver incompetence. I would probably have the same nitpick in a WRX since that would be off boost.)

My only other complaints: visibility (which you adjust to), some cheap plasticky materials that other people have mentioned,
    and the rear drum brakes. But to be honest, my brakes seem pretty good and not "mushy" I have heard complaints about paint chips, but I think that goes across all manufacturers. I want to get that StonGuard ClearBra stuff put on.

Pluses: fun to drive, nice ride, handling, driving position, feels solid and tight, no squeaks, rattles, good storage space. This should be a great road trip vehicle.

I feel safe in this car, except I fear airbags in general...why couldn't we have better seat belts instead, like race car drivers? Do race cars have airbags?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I forget what's in there now. I had a few left over from a while back. I think it's a Car & Driver one? I heard those are made by Champion Labs (and they passed that oil filter study that was published).

Though from now one I'll probably stick with the OEM filter, which is about $5 on-line with a crush washer.

Race cars do not have air bags, but they have roll cages and 4 point harnesses that occupy the stripped interiors.

Just don't sit right up next to the steering wheel. The newer air bags are slower-inflating and should be OK even for shorter folks.

-juice
  • Options
    stakmanstakman Member Posts: 3
    This week I think I will buy a subaru. Not a real 'car' guy, so I will probably have a tough time deciding.
    My 1990 Honda Civic SI was stolen out of my driveway last night. I am crushed. I really loved that car. Very fast hatchback.
    I grew up in New York but had to move to Minnesota to get my car stolen (figure that out!).
    Anyway, from what litte I know, I think I will choose between the Outback Sport and the Impreza 2.5 TS Sport Wagon. I'm single but would like a little space for my stuff. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Go for the Outback Sport over the TS. If you add options to the TS to bring it up to the OBS you will pay the same price and still not have some of the Outback's goodies. TS is lacking cruise, roof crossbars, rear cargo tray, outside temp gauge, alloy wheels and wider tires, rear power plug,cargo tie down hooks, and fog lights. The alloy wheels that Subaru offers for the TS are 15" rather than the 16' that are standard on the OBS. That alone should make the OBS a lot more fun to drive. However if you want a wagon that is "very fast" there is one more Impreza wagon: WRX! just traded in a Forester on a WRX wagon. The Forester was nice and drove more sportscar like than "SUV", the the WRX is incredible. Other than a little less horsepower the OBS should handle much like the WRX since it has the same wheel and tire combo and really is not as "lifted" as Subaru wants you to think. (Only .2" higher off the ground than the WRX.) Other than the lack of rear disc brakes the OBS is really a wagon version of the 2.5 RS which is arelly good thing. (My wife has 2.5 RS '98 model and is very fun also. 2.5 engine has good horsepower and cars with it are quick)
  • Options
    amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    All that is said above is true, except in Canada.

In Canada, the TS Wagon is 14600 USD, and the OBS is around 17600 USD. That's a $3000 USD difference. (And plenty more if you have to pay sales tax on top of it).

In the States, you pay 17495 USD for the TS wagon, and 18695 USD for the OBS. A price difference of $1200 USD.

The moral of the story being, that it pays to be Canadian :)
  • Options
    stakman: sorry to hear about that. Those Civics were fun, light and tossable.

The Outback Sport is better equipped, just take a gander at those gorgeous 16" alloys. They come with low profile 55 series tires, so you'll probably prefer the handling on the OBS as opposed to the TS.

Yeah, and what Bruce said. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    I also switched from Honda to Subaru, despite that Hondas have served our family well. Two different driving experiences, but I much prefer my Subie. I think everyone here is happy with their OBSes (and WRXes)
  • Options
    juice: can you tell me where you get your OEM filters for $5.00? Man, almost $9.00 per filter is just way more than that!

stakman: Sorry about your car being taken. I've heard Hondas are one of the most stolen vehicles, and it's too bad that's true.

I love my OBS. I posted pictures here a while back, probably in May if you want to look. I think there are pictures of a white OBS also. (Mine's black) The WRX wagon is awesome, but more expensive out of pocket and because of the turbo needs premium gas.

I believe you will want the cruise control feature, it's the very main reason I got the OBS over the TS, but I sure enjoy all the other extras, too.
  • Options
    Try Subaruparts.com. Though with shipping, it'll only be worth it if you buy it along with other stuff, unless you buy several.

-juice
  • Options
    twrx: Meant to tell you that your assessment was right on the money.

juice: Oh, heck yeah, I'd buy several, it's worth it to have them on hand.
  • Options
    That's what I will do next time. I think I have one left over, because I usually buy in bulk.

Funny thing is the same filter for the Forester also fits our 626. Just a coincidence, I guess.

Believe it or not, it even fits my Miata, but the filter itself is a bit too big for convenient access. The Miata's filter has the same size openings, but the case is much smaller.

Wouldn't it be great if I could stock just one type of filter for all 3 cars? I guess I could buy 3 Miata filters, but that reduces the oil filtering capacity slightly, so no-go on that idea.

-juice
  • Options
    aalukeaaluke Member Posts: 11
    I can't find the right board for accessories, so I'm hoping maybe someone here could help me out. I want to buy a bike rack that attaches to the roof of my 2002 OBS. Obviously I have the factory cross bars (not the round ones). Will any racks attach to those (Subaru 3rd party), or will I be forced to buy another set of bars (like the square Thule ones or round Yakima/Subaru ones)?

Thanks,
    Luke
  • Options
    There are clamps that will attach to the factory cross bars, in fact I think Subaru sells them. I believe they are sourced from Yakima.

I've seen someone even post part numbers, IIRC, but it was in one of the Subaru Crew topics (under Owners Clubs).

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Juice! You're way more helpful than emailing Subaru was. They said "we recommend you use only Subaru genuine parts" and said I'd probably have to buy the round cross bars (she didn't know for sure).

By simply looking at a Parts&Accessories pamphlet I got from dealer, I found the part number for the clamps: E3610AS810. I emailed my local dealer to get a quote on those. They're used for the roof mounted bike attachment, kayak attachment, and cargo basket. There's a picture of the bike rack attached to the standard cross bars right in the pamphlet.

When I get the clamps I'll also try to get some Yakima fork-mounted bike racks and let everyone know how things work out.

Luke
  • Options
    You can also order parts from subaruparts.com on-line. Prices are probably lower than your dealer would charge, though clamps are cheap enough that the difference may be small.

-juice
  • Options
    yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    I use a Yakima roof rack with fork mount on my LL Bean and it works fine. The rack was supplied by IMBA and came with the proper footings. You might want to contact IMBA for details. Their number is 888-442-4622 (membership hotline). By the way, IMBA has an "arrangement" with Subaru.

Don
  • Options
    juice: Is it just a coincidence, or what, that so many Subaru owners also own Miatas? My 16-year-old has the hots for a Miata as a first car because the aftermarket is so big for it! First he wanted a Subaru, now a Miata--go figure!!
  • Options
    teocoteoco Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on buying a 2002 OBS, but i'm torn between manual and automatic. I would have to learn stick, but am willing if its worth it, i.e. a better driving experience...
  • Options
    Yes, a lot of Miata owners seem to own Subies. Maybe it's because they use the Miata for the warm weather months, and the trusty Scooby for the cooler months. I think they make for a perfect fleet.

Just a heads up - I do not think the Miata makes a good first car. They are light and tiny, and rear wheel drive allows you to get in trouble. I dropped the throttle in a wet turn and did a 180 quicker than I could say OOPS! Convertibles also carry higher insurance premiums.

I'd get him a beater to learn on for a couple of years. Something he can bang up a bit and not care much. An old Loyale or Impreza wagon. Wagons often have cheaper insurance.

A friend once told me the best car for a 16 year old is a bicycle! :-)

Terri: manuals are more involving and fun, get better mileage, and are quicker. However, you give up convenience and ease of use. Make sure you know what you're getting into. If you drive a lot bumper-to-bumper, you may be happier in the more relaxed auto.

Having said that, all three of our cars are manuals, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

-juice
  • Options
    newobslvrnewobslvr Member Posts: 8
    Hello!

I took delivery today on my 2002 Outback Sport and am thrilled with it! Wanted to thank everyone for all their posts; this message board was a big help in tipping the scales to the obs.

Happy driving to all!
  • Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    It's nice to have you aboard. So, fill us in...color? Who did you buy from? How was the sales experience?

It's nice to have you with us and I look forward to your posts!

Patti
  • Options
    I don't know about auto's always being easier. I definitely find waiting at stop lights a lot better in stick shift, because I don't have to hold the bloody brake down.

(oh no, my language is starting to become British...)
  • Options
    amishra: Huh? In my manual, if it was a short light I would have my foot on both pedals, clutch and brake. If a long light, I would put it in neutral but STILL had my foot on the brake...

teoco: Please don't buy your new Subaru before you learn to drive a clutch if you get manual. A beginner is very hard on a clutch and I don't think your clutch will hold up for long under the abuse a beginner gives it. There was a guy on the i-club that bought a WRX not knowing how to drive clutch and was getting frusutrated because it was alot to learn and after two weeks he thought he should be a pro. If this is what you aspire to, see if you can learn on another car or maybe there's driver's training in your area on a manual or something. There are quite a few complaints about Subaru clutches from people who drive hard, fast, or otherwise abuse their clutches. Can you spell B-E-G-I-N-N-E-R? Actually, I had two cars with manual that I needed clutch work on after my kids used them to learn on.... Or maybe try on a video or arcade race game that has clutch, brake and gas pedals, then go test drive one and see if you can do it smoothly or not.....

juice: well, my husband and I have told our son there is a difference between what he wants and gets and he's paying all the way, so it probably will turn out to be a beater... he's good at driving maneuvers, handbrake slides, etc., and that's why he wanted the Miata because he knows the AWD makes it harder to break the tires loose. And yes, we've warned him about the insurance also. And he may be really good at maneuvers, but he's not borrowing MY car without me, you can bet that!! He'd love to autocross some day, so he'll just have to be patient and see what the future brings. Hey I agree about the bicycle part, but sometimes I even wonder about that as anything with wheels can get them into trouble at this age!
  • Options
    Hi, Kim! Smart choice. Tell us the color you bought and manual or auto?

teoco: by the way I had a 2000 OBS in manual and now have a 2002 OBS in automatic. The manual launches faster in low gears but we added an air intake to my automatic which, along with the 165 hp that comes on the 2002, really makes the power loss negligible. I found the clutch on my OBS a little trickier than the one on the Volvos I had owned in that the clutch engaged near the top and there was the temptation to give too much gas too soon in the lower gears. The manual is supposed to get better gas mileage but because I couldn't stand to shift much under 4000 rpms, I wasn't driving "economically". Even though my 2002 automatic is heavier than my 2000 manual my gas mileage is better. My 2000 got 18-19 mpg,in town, A/C on. My 2002 gets 21-22 mpg in the same conditions. I'm amazed. Of course, I do have the intake, don't know if that helps gas mileage, but the automatic transmission keeps me from shifting at a higher rpm and wasting gas!!
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Terri -
    It really depends on your wants and needs. I have a manual and am happy with it about 90% of the time. I live in NJ and sometimes it's a pain (literally) in traffic. When I hit the hills and curves though it's a blast. My wife's OB is an auto and it's pretty good. There's a little more lag starting off in the auto because of the Torque Convertor and the AWD transferring power to the rear.

If a manual is what you really want then go for it! I learned on my ex-girlfriends MR2 (as did she). We destroyed that tranny at about 75,000 miles. It was about $800 for a new one.
    There are so many resources on the internet for driving tips now that are a huge help. Tips like not resting your hand on the shifter or the clutch pedal (which I used to do) go a long way in a manual's life.

Like celeste mentioned, there could be a driving school in your area that will give lessons on a manual. Among the performance crowd, Subaru manual trannys are known as "glass transmissions" because they are so delicate. Of course, they are probably a little harder on a tranny than your average person though. I believe there is only about a 1 mpg difference in gas mileage.

Good luck on your decision,
    Dennis
  • Options
    Hmm.. maybe I'm a lazy driver, but where I lived in Canada, you didn't have to worry too much from getting hit from behind.

Still like waiting at stop lights without using the brake :)
  • Options
    rgsjr99rgsjr99 Member Posts: 17
    Hi gang, I've just been lurking around the last few weeks but thought I'd add some impressions on the 5spd. While all of my primary vehicles have been automatics, I actually learned a stick in a 1970 Chevelle with a three speed on the column and have driven everything from large trucks to my wife's little Del Sol with sticks and never had difficulty in taking off from a stop until I got my OBS. I have to agree with Celeste and others in that Subaru's clutch engages way too far up, even after 3000 miles I still catch myself giving it gas too soon and slamming my head into the headrest :) Like any new vehicle it takes time to get use to it but there is definitely a steep learnind curve due to that clutch IMO. As far as the Subie's having "Glass Transmissions" I certainly hope not. I regularly downshift for stops and to slow down for slower moving traffic and only use the brake at the very end of the stop if I can't pull off a "limo stop". I haven't detected any balking from the transmission and it seems to take this well. If anyone thinks this is detrimental to my tranny's longevity let me know, please. But except for my troubles with 1st gear and the clutch pedal in general I have no regrets getting the manual even with my 45 minute rush hour commute :)

Ok, I'm done rambling ....
  • Options
    I have about 3600 mi. on my 2002 OBS. It's an automatic as I've said above. Just checked the gas mileage today and got 22 mpg IN the city WITH the A/C on, constantly. My last tank was 22 mpg and up till then was only 20-21 mpg. I guess the engine is nearing the break-in.

Funny, as I also mentioned above, with my manual 2000 OBS I just couldn't get over 19 mpg in the city WITH the air on all the time. And this car is heavier than the 2000. Who woulda thunk it?
  • Options
    stakmanstakman Member Posts: 3
    Well, as you may remember, my honda civic was stolen from my driveway (Minnesota). It was eventually found but was completely gutted. I bit the bullet and bought a 2002 Outback Sport, silver, off the showroom floor. I paid $18,800, $20,300 with tax,license, registration etc. I was considering the TS but I liked the clearance of the Sport.

From the little shopping I did for used cars, I feel it was a reasonable price. I normally keep my cars forever so I think I did ok. The salesman was suprised when it turned out to have an alarm system. She said I lucked out, are those expensive? Maybe my luck is changing! Anyway, I will start scouring the boards for tips.

I didn't ask about the 'break-in' driving and what to do, maybe it is in the manual? If anyone has any thoughts?

Oh, before I forget they are pushing the supplemental warranty. If I pay %1400, I get 6 year instead of 3 year; or $1600 for 7 year.

All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    stakman: Good to be you! Glad your luck is on the upswing.

I have a black 2002 Outback Sport and would put a picture here but my photo site is not cooperating right now.

Also you can go to i-club.com as they have alot of impreza information. Our car, the Outback Sport, is built on the Impreza line. Most of the cars at i-club are Rally Sports, however, so much of the car is similar that if you have questions about tires, oil filters, etc., you can learn alot there. There is a forum there for Newbie questions (that's new owner). Also on Yahoo clubs there is an Outback Sport club, just not as many members and info flying around. More good luck to you and happy trails! Oh, and read up thru all these posts for several months back to learn alot, also...
  • Options
    Just to let everyone know how the bike-rack saga is playing out, here's what has happened...

Thursday I bought the clamps for the normal (wing-shaped) crossbars that allow you to attach Yakima equipment to the roof rack. I had a coupon and got them at my local dealer. Price for a set of 4 was $13 after the coupon. At subaruparts.com, they cost $9.86 I think, plus shipping, just for comparison.

Saturday I went shopping for some Yakima fork-mounted bike racks. I want a fork-mount because my bike is very tall (23" frame), and they seem more stable as well. Yakima makes three levels of forkmounts, Copperhead ($80 each), Steelhead ($100), and Viper ($120). I found a pair of Steelheads for 20% off (they also had one Copperhead), so I got those. When I finally got home later that day, I tried to put the bike racks onto the crossbars. If anyone has seen the fork-mounted racks, you know this was a futile effort. While the rear of the rack is compatible with the clamps I bought from Subaru, the front (of Steelheads) will only attach directly to a round crossbar. This was pretty depressing, so I went to take back the Steelheads and see if the Copperhead or Viper would work.

We opened the Copperhead box at the store, and found that it'd also fit on a square (Thule-brand) bar, but doesn't use a screw to attach to the front (it also attaches directly). They didn't have any Vipers, but I found another Copperhead box stashed where it was not easily visible. So they had two Copperheads (also at 20% off) after all. I told them I'd return by Monday to either reclaim the Steelheads or return them for good (they kept them there), and I was going to look for the Viper in the mean time.

This morning I thought about it some more, and when I didn't find the Vipers at another store, I decided to return the Steelheads and get the two Copperheads (and $34 dollars back). I'm going to order the Round Cross Bar Set from subaruparts.com and just put the Copperheads on there. I'll probably try to sell the factory cross bars (plus clamps) to someone with a TS or WRX wagon. They're still useful as long as you don't wanna put a fork-mounted bike rack on them. But if you do (like me), you need the Round Cross Bar Set. Just thought I'd let everyone know. Maybe the Vipers would work, but I never found them, and since the other two don't I assume they wouldn't either.

I'll post when the story is concluded for good and I have front wheel-less bikes on my OBS roof.
    Luke
  • Options
    yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Luke,

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. I have a Yakima Copperhead with towers on my LL Bean. Got the package as part of a promotion from International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) as part of a membership promotion.

If you're having trouble finding the correct towers, try Colorado Cyclist (800.688.8600). They can be of help. Price is about $100. You can also speak with Heather at IMBA membership. Her number is 888.442.4622. As you probably know, IMBA is a well respected advocacy group who uses Subaru Outbacks for their trail program.

Hope this helps.

Don
  • Options
    newobslvrnewobslvr Member Posts: 8
    Hi, all--

Thanks for the warm welcome to the board. :)

My new obs is white with the 5-spd. It came off the lot with a few options; auto-dimming mirror, wheel looks, splash guards and the upgraded security system. I'm growing more thrilled with it each day.

The whole dealing process had its comical moments, but in the end I was very satisfied. (I'm more than willing to share the whole story, but it would probably get kind of wordy, and I don't want to do a message board faux pas here, especially since I'm new!) Short and sweet, they took my Forester off lease four months early, and sold me the obs at invoice plus $200. The Forester was in terrific shape with low miles, so I think that was my real bargaining chip. My salesman was a rare gem, too.

I'm still going back though all the posts again and can't help but be interested in this air filter and intake stuff. It sounds too good to be true. What would all of you after-market pros tell a mechanical illiterate? I wouldn't be doing this myself (or at least I don't think so)... does a dealership do this? What effect on the warranty? And what effect long-term on the car?

Thanks for any info. and guidance!

Kim
  • Options
    Here are some great shifting tips for Subaru transmissions:
    http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm

Rich, I've heard it's bad to downshift to slow a car down. I'll search for more info. You could probably start with a search at http://i-club.com/forums.
    The i-club has an excellent searchable database (try the N/A tech forum and archives).

Kim, one of the first things people do in the aftermarket is help their car breathe better (btw, I'm no pro ;-)). A simple air filter replacement won't necessarily add much h.p., but will improve the throttle response. A dealership *might* do it for you, depending how open they are about mods. My dealership has actually installed aftermarket suspension. The i-club (above) has regional forums and you could probably find other Sube owners or mod-friendly dealers in your area.
    You should not run into warranty problems unless a certain part caused the specific problem in question. That's the law and SoA's stance. If a dealer tells you otherwise, call SoA.
    Good luck with your new car.

Dennis

• Options
    stakman and newobslvr: congrats! The manual says to keep RPMs under 4K and to vary the speeds for the first 1000 miles. I too like my OBS more each day. In fact, today she seemed awfully peppy and more responsive than previously, and I've only got around 500 klicks. I might be imagining this, but...I was one happy camper this morning.

Dennis: I read that article on shifting. Was he saying to wait a fraction of a sec longer when shifting in lower gears? This is what I interpreted: take foot off gas, press clutch quickly, shift to N, wait (fraction of a sec), shift gear, wait, let up clutch, when you feel it engage, mash gas. Please correct if I'm wrong.

What do you mean it's bad to downshift to slow a car down - Do you mean not using the brakes at all?

Sorry for any stupid questions but I'm still pretty new to shifting, I worry about my tranny and clutch and that I might be doing something wrong.
  • Options
    Congrats to both Kim and Peter. Stick around and join us on Thursday eves for our weekly Subaru Crew chat. There is a link at the top of this page.

Celeste: in the Miata it's entirely too easy to break the tires loose. If he's trying, he'll probably end up spinning completely. It's a real handful in the rain, and I have all season tires right now. I can't imagine snow. IMO, not a good car for a teenager, especially given his driving style as you describe it.

If you ever come to DC on business, let me know and we'll go for a spin (no pun intended).

-juice
  • Options
    Caroline - I believe the process you're describing is "double-clutching". It's used in performance driving or if you're having problems shifting. It gives the tranny time to catch up by matching the engine revs (techies correct me if I'm wrong).

Different drivers slow down different ways. Some downshift through each gear and some just stick it in neutral and press the brake. I had read somewhere that it's not good to row through each gear all of the time to stop. I'll have to look for the info. No such thing as a stupid questions. ;-)

edit: Found some i-club posts.
    Downshifting to stop:
    http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=44499&referrerid=767
    and general shifting techniques:
    http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=44499&referrerid=767

The i-club has a great search engine.

Dennis
  • Options
    I read thru those i-club posts, double clutching/heel-toe stuff is beyond my abilities at this point.

this should be ok?
    I brake & downshift for 90 degree turns or for descending steep grades if I'm higher than 3rd,
    for slowing traffic or coming off exit ramps,
    5-4-N at stoplights.

I want to break any bad habits now...
  • Options
    Sounds about right.

If you want, try to match revs by blipping the throttle when down shifting.

An example is best. Say you exit a highway, and shift from 5th to 3rd. If you just pop the clutch, you can hear the engine rev up to match your speed, with the clutch absorbing the difference. This will put a stress on the clutch, and you can even feel the sudden deceleration.

So, just before you lift off the clutch, give the throttle a little "blip". The revs will climb, and if you time it right and let off the clutch smoothly, the revs "match" and your clutch has no work to do at all.

This is simpler than double-clutching or heel-and-toeing, which is best left to learn at a driving school.

IMO, a perfectly driven manual transmission is so smooth that the shifts are virtually imperceptable to your passengers. The smoother you are, the longer your clutch will last.

-juice
  • Options
    gtspecgtspec Member Posts: 55
    Hi, I'm consider buying either the 2002 TS or OBS, can anyone offer their opinion on which one is better, and what's the differences between them? Also please tell me what's consider a good price range for them. I live in Queens New York. Thank you for any inputs!!!

Andy
  • Options
    This is what you get with the OBS standard:
    16" alloys vs. 15" steel wheels on TS
    cross bar kit
    fog lamps
    cargo area tray
    rear bumper cover
    outside temperature gauge
    carpet floor covers
    a smidge more clearance
    heavy duty raised suspension (??? what this means no one has been able to clarify)
    and cruise control, which is not available on TS at all.

Oh yea, and that groovy two tone paint job that totally ruins the look, if you ask me. And I'm not sure if the TS comes with door ding trim (whatever that horizontal door trim is called. You get the pic.)

Prices should be near invoice, $200-$400 over, I guess.
  • Options
    darn it! My CEL came on this morning. I just fueled up last night so I tightened the gas cap. I hope that takes care of it.

I guess I'll poke around i-club...
  • Options
    I think it takes 3 (or was it 5?) cycles for a light to reset, even if the problem goes away immediately.

If it's not blinking, it's nothing serious.

-juice
  • Options
    perezc1perezc1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,

I found a 1999 OBS (5-sp, 13K miles, Silver) with a sunroof on my local Sube dealer's lot. I am interested in buying it, however, the installed sunroof seems really cheap. I am afraid it is an aftermarket addition that may leak. Does anyone know if Subaru offered this as a dealer/factory installed option (and thus covered under warranty)?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I don't think so. Ask what dealer originally sold it, and then find out what shop they use to supply their moonroofs.

Many aftermarket roofs are fine. I've owned a few myself (still do). Or, just test drive it on a rainy day.

-juice
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    There has never been a sunroof available from Subaru on the OBS. Too bad; wish I had one on my WRX wagon.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's why he wants the Miata. No AWD to slow him down :) and he's been at the Miata club site every day. Would love to come to DC, but not in the cards this summer.

He wants to know if you know anything about the Supra twin turbo or fourth generation RX-7.

He starts this month doing the Auto Tech program at our VoTech, and aspires to have his own speed shop. Gets about every car magazine there is. Got any questions for him?
  • Options
    You were asking about the air filter and the intake. On My 2000 OBS we got a K & N filter and put it on ourselves, which a grandma could do. It's a cinch.

On this car, my 2002, we got a Ganzflow intake and he sold us our air filter with it. This time we got the Amsoil. My husband and son installed the intake with no problems, there were plenty of pictures and everything was very self-explanatory.
    Here are the websites listed on some of the info that came with my intake: www.imprezaRS.com and www.SubaruPlanet.com

If you want to check at i-club.com there are numerous testimonials about the Ganzflow. It is not annoyingly loud but gives a good throaty sound to the engine at wide open throttle. My husband also had the idea to wrap the aluminum intake tube with strips of fiberglass insulation and tape that on with flexible metal tape. After all, the idea is for the air to be as cold as possible when it reaches the engine, and this helps insulate the intake from the heat of the motor. Very nice power kick-in when you floor it!
  • Options
    Try to find out who installed it. Usually when a dealer adds a sunroof, they'll also give it the 3/36 warranty. A 99 with 13K miles should still
    have a warranty. The dealer thats selling it should have a used car warranty as well.
    Dennis
This discussion has been closed.