Options

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You may also want to post your question in our Volvo Owner's Club: Care & Maintenance discussion. Good luck.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Options
    batstarbatstar Member Posts: 4
    Hi Dave,

Try this procedure:

Key in position I, (accessory) press and hold trip reset, wait for trip mileage to set to zero, turn key to position II, (run) wait for trip mileage to reappear, (about 8-10 sec) release trip reset button, switch off ignition. Start and check, message should be gone.
  • Options
    marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    Thank you batstar! I have confirmed on my car that the instructions you posted in message 617 are correct. I would add that I was told that you must have some mileage showing (not zero) on either trip odometer (1 or 2) before beginning this procedure.
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    That's not a very graceful procedure, is it? My '89 740 has a button on the instrument cluster to reset the service light. Odd that they went to a much more complicated solution.
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    This car has better styling and way more room than the 5 Series. The 2004 5 Series will be even smaller than the compact sized current one. The styling doens't seem to improve much either.
  • Options
    Does anyone have the step by step instructions for the replacement of this item by myself in this car? Thanks. Also, who's a good supplier of these?
  • Options
    I received my answer at the v70xc board message#357
    Thanks, Art
  • Options
    oskar1oskar1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody have any experience with the base 2002 v70 2.4 with 17" on it. Wondering if they would fit the car. I know they would look nice...
    Thanks
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Will fit just fine
  • Options
    tiibimertiibimer Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 98 V70AWD from a private party. Vehicle has 87K miles on it. Asking price, $14500. Been lightly wrecked twice but repaired properly. Is there a way to test the traction control system to be sure it is working properly? Person has most service records. 60K and 80K services done recently. Drives and handles as expected. Any thing to look for in particular?
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Seriously, $14,500 will get you a lower-mile, non-wrecked 2wd V70, which are statistically more reliable and better on gas and maintenance (and also have traction control, if equipped with the winter package.) As much as I really like Volvos (my '89 740 keeps chugging along, giving me no reason to replace it), I think over the long run if you're stuck on AWD and only have around 15 grand to spend, a Subaru might be a better choice. If you're stuck on a Volvo and AWD is dispensible, a 2wd V70 would fit the bill nicely.
  • Options
    nsolanonsolano Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 V70 2.4 with approximately 1300 miles on the clock. When making sharp left turns, I have noticed a noise from the front of the vehicle. I would normally think this was a CV joint but the miles seem way too low. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • Options
    fam4mefam4me Member Posts: 2
    I am trading in my 90 745 w/ 106,000 miles at a local independent Volvo shop who also sells lightly used Volvos. Only works on Volvos and has been in business 15 years. I have been using them for more than 6 years for service and trust them more than any other dealer/shop that I have done business with. My plans were to trade the 745 with them and go to Volkswagon and buy a Passat GLX wagon.

While there, I looked at the available cars and ran across the V70. Now 110,000 miles in 1 to 1 1/2 years is tremendous. The shop told me it was a one owner who was in sales (not sure how they knew that fact). As part of their prep, they replaced the timing belt, front/back brake pads and roters, and oil. With the 745 as a trade, they want $15,000 for the V70. Or about half what the new Passat would go for. Comes with a 6 month/6K warranty.

I drove it for an hour and it drove like a dream and felt solid as a rock. Quickly up and back down from 100mph on the Interstate. When I looked at the service book, I saw NO stamps. If the car had better history, I would feel better. Although, the 15K price is 20K less than it sold for last year.

So that is my delimma. Any opinions. At 15K, short of getting stranded, I have room for maintenance expenses that might occur. All opinions appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    WOW, thats alot of mileage!!
    That being said, I'd find out where the car was serviced.
    The major expense with that car is going to be the electrical and computer systems.
    Unless your independent mechanic has a VADIS computer, and I don't know any that do,any of those repairs will have to be done at the dealer.
    Also at $15000 I think your getting ripped.
    Wholesale value should be @$10,000
    Kelley Wholesale is $17,675 w/ a $7000 mileage penalty. Rule of thumb on way over mileage lux cars is to double the mileage penalty.
    Figure he spent $2000 reconditioning the car and your in at $12,000.
    $1500 profit and your at $13,500
    Your trade is probably worth $2-3000 if its nice.
    If its a base 745.
    So difference you should be $11-12,000 tops
  • Options
  • Options
    sm4324sm4324 Member Posts: 1
    I've started shopping for a 2001 Volvo wagon. I currently own a 93 940T wagon and am very happy with it except for the rear wheel drive in the winter. The 2001 attracts me because of the redesigned body style and better reliability than earlier V70 model years. The question I have is about whether to go with the XC or V70 2.4T. Although I live in Maine, my driving is mostly on cleared city streets and I do not believe that I need AWD. On the other hand, there are more '01 XC wagons available around here and I probably could get a better deal because of that. Reliability, ride and features are most important. Does anybody have any comparative experience with the 01's?
  • Options
    The 01 XC has a more compliant ride than the 2.4T does.
    Both wagons use the same engine, but the XC is a couple of hundred pounds heavier due the the AWD system.
    Also, the XC gas mileage, especially highway isn't as good.
    On the plus side the XC has 3" greater ground clearance and the AWD system. Also I think the interior appointments are nicer.
    Reliability is about the same, the XC has some different features, like a 3-way split rear seat, Geartronic standard,foglights etc.
  • Options
    bowdon51bowdon51 Member Posts: 9
    I am new to V70 discussion, but I am interested in this wagon, Buick Rendezvous and Honda Pilot. We have two small children 4 and 7 and they are beginning to do more things with family and friends, therefore it is a necessity to put all the kids in seatbelts. We currently have a Chevy Blazer. Lots of electrical problems but relatively cheap to fix. Considering the Rendezvous for cargo capacity and price. Considering the Pilot for reliability. Considering the V70 for safety. I am a 6'4 260 guy that needs leg room, therefore the minivans are not as high on the list, although they have the most cargo capacity. And, with gas price changing daily, large SUVs are not as high on the list. Also any information on the third row seats safety. Any pros and/or cons on these vehicles listed and others that fit into the crossover/sportswagon category.
  • Options
    The V70 has better styling, few will argue, the V70 gets much better gas mileage, the V70 has a safe third row seat that can be folded into the floor. It has seatbelts too in the third row (OBVIOUSLY, I guess). The Rendezvous beats the Pilot in styling and overall room. The V70 has plenty of front leg, head, shoulder, and hip room. The rear is slightly tighter, but it still has plenty of room. The third row has unlimited leg room and enough head, hip, and shoulder room. The V70 is undoubtedly the safest of the trio and most likely in the top 6 safest vehicles sold in America. The Volvo S40, V40, C70, S60, and S80 probably are the other five! The V70 has almost as good reliability as the Pilot is predicted to have according to Consumer Reports which now reccomends one of the safest vehicles sold in America.
  • Options
    The 2001 V70's competitors were the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E Class, Saab 9-5, Subaru Outback, and Volkswagen Passat. All of these were unchanged for 2002 (except the Passat got a 2001.5 slight overhaul) so you can do an Edmunds.com comparison for 2002 models. Hope this helps.
    -Austin and Liberty (the cutest cat in the world)
  • Options
    Also vote for the Mazda MPV-minivan, Jeep Liberty-small SUV, Dodge Ram-pickup, and Isuzu Axiom mid-size SUV (take one look at it and I guarantee you'll love it!) Thanks!
  • Options
    bowdon51bowdon51 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    My wife and I are planning to purchase a wagon to replace our 93 Honda Accord Coupe, which no longer fits our lifestyle. We are considering either the V70 2.4T or a Subaru Outback H6-3.0 (which are the only wagons in our price range worth considering, in my opinion).

I've just read a couple hundred posts on this forum dating back to Jan '02 and I'm alarmed by the number of posts about Volvo reliability, especially with regard to anything electrical/electronic.

I have had virtually no problems with either our Honda (now at over 130,000 miles) or our 97 Nissan Pathfinder (now at 107,000 miles). Regular oil changes, other standard maintenance (brakes, fluids, etc), and miscellaneous worn suspension parts have been the only things that have needed replacing. Everything else has worked flawlessly on both of these vehicles.

Since I have no experience with either Volvo (as a manufacturer) or Subaru, I'm curious to learn more about how Volvo compares to "the big 3 Japanese automakers", especially concerning reliability.

I'm not a Consumer Reports subscriber so I don't have access to their reviews. Besides, owner comments are worth their weight in gold, right?

Well, I realize my question is kind of vague, but I was hoping to initiate a discussion about the plusses and minusses of Volvo ownership (keeping in mind that I'm coming from a Honda/Toyota/Nissan background).

Thanks!

(PS- I will also be visiting the Subaru Outback board and posting similar questions.)
  • Options
    retractretract Member Posts: 13
    A friend of mine has a V70 with an inoperable lighter outlet. I would like to fix it for her but I don't have access to the owners manual or service manual. Can someone here tell me where the fuse for it is? She is about ready to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.
    Thanks,
  • Options
    Consumer Reports reccomends the V70 and says it has average reliability. In Volvos you always feel safe. The V70 is fun to drive and you can fit all kinds of things into it including 5 adults and 2 kids. You turn heads constantly. The Outback isn't nearly as fun to drive and it has no third-row seat, less cargo room, and the tightest rear seat of any wagon sold in the U.S. (seriously).
  • Options
    vascdudevascdude Member Posts: 11
    Not bad choices to compare. The Buick's crash test was not nearly as good, something that probably should be considered (esp against the V70).

As far as the Pilot goes, are you comparing a 4wd(Pilot) vs AWD (V70)? Test drive both and I think you will be quite pleased with the ride of the Volvo. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Cargo capacity will be close (compare on this website), but I think you'll find a few more niches in the Volvo's rear. The seats cannot be compared, as I believe the V70 has one of the best in the car industry. Reliability on the volvo has also recently been upgraded by consumer reports. Finally, safety rules in this comparison as well. The Pilot cannot touch the reliable safety record of any Volvo.

Just a rather biased opinion from someone who just purchased a XC70. (And looked at the Buick prior to puchase)
  • Options
    mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    I am sure that this has been asked before (if it is a common problem) but I was not sure how to search for it.
    My son has a 2001 V70 wagon that he bought used form a very well thought of dealer. It has the extended warranty.

The problem is that when you accelerate after coming to a stop..the transmission seems to make a hard jump into gear.
    The dealer tech rode with him and agreed that it was annoying but "normal" He stated that it was caused by some sort of software that shifted into neutral at idle. This was intended as a emmission control feature. He advised that they get these in all the time and that they can not do anything.

Is this a known and regular thing with this car? Is there a fix? Is the dealer tech blowing smoke? It is more than annoying..it has the feel of a major problem about to happen.
    Any advise?
  • Options
    Is a normal function, trans shifts to neutral upon coming to a stop.
    Some of the cars were more abrupt than others,Volvo changed the throttle hardware and software for 2002. This seemed to cure the unpleasantness.
  • Options
    mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    Is there a software fix..or can it be smoothed out in someway? The jump into gear is quite harsh and could be dangerous if the car jumped ahead at the wrong time. I know your techs may have an idea. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Since the 2002 has a completely different throttle unit,I don't know if there is a software fix.

I'd check with the service dept. and see if they can adjust or re-program the trans.
  • Options
    cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    Your answers on this board have really helped me in narrowing my vehicle choices, and I have a few more for you before I make my final decision. I'm torn between the XC and the Honda Pilot. Apples and oranges in some ways, but both fit my needs as far as all wheel drive with seating for a family of 5 (three kids still in "plastic seats").
    First, if I pass on the towing package now, is it possible to do at a later date or as a Do it Yourself? I need to cut a few options to get the price where I can swing it.
    Second, with proper care, will the turbo go past 100k miles?
    Third, can a heater be installed for the back seat as an aftermarket item?
    Fourth, can a child in a carseat (say three or four years old) sit in the third row rear-facing seat? I get conflicting reports on that, and I am overseas without a native english speaker handy at a Volvo dealer.

Thanks! I would have gone with the XC90 but over here we can't get them until around October and I need a car by July.
  • Options
    Hope this helps
    There are some big differences, the Pilot is much bigger than the Volvo wagons, the XC90 would be a better competitor in the size category.

Given that the XC70 has a better 4wd system, I was not impressed with the Acura MDX system when I was trying to climb some stairs with it.
    Also the Volvo will have more car-like handling.

There isn't a "towing pkg" per se for Volvos.
    An XC70 is rated to tow 3300 lbs, all you need is the appropriate hitch which can be installed at any time.
    By rear seat heater I imagine you mean a seat heater like what is available for the front seats.
    Volvo has it available for the S80 Exec, I imagine that there must be a way to install one on the XC70.
    Volvo does not recommend installing child seats in the rear facing 3rd row.
    Personally I don't think there is enough room on the seat cushion for the child seat to rest on properly.
    Yes a Turbo unit properly maintained will last well over 100k miles.
    Bottom line, Honda's are reliable and well built if rather boring, safety is ok, Volvo's are sturdier and safer more fun to drive.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I agree that the XC90 is a better comparison, but not available for when I need it. Too bad. Great car.

I'm still confused on the towing. The dealers here quote $750 for a towing package that includes the hitch and an extra transmission cooler. Is there a chance this is old info an no longer needed, or is their info wrong?
  • Options
    On the US spec cars no additional oil cooler is needed.
    It could be different for your country, I would check the Volvo website for your country.
  • Options
    hadleyfarmhadleyfarm Member Posts: 11
    Is there a Volvo Consumer Complaint Ombudsman?

The Mechanical Problem -
    It starts up first thing in the morning, BUT after a doing some errands (short distance driving) will not start up again (turn key and NO ENGINE SOUND, interior electrics work.

This happened for the first time in October 2002 (still under warranty). I took it to a Volvo dealer #1 (not where it was purchased) and they replaced the battery cable although the problem was never recorded on the car's ECM memory chip.
    Approximately 3 weeks later (now out of warranty) it happened again, after apprx. 1 1/2 hours, I was able to start it. I took it back to dealer #1 and, although they could not ascertain why it happened, they replaced the starter replay switch.

A couple of weeks later, it happened again. The Volvo dealer #1 (recognizing that the car was "out of warranty" now "did not have the time to see the car for at least three weeks". Took it to a second Volvo dealer #2 who checked it out with (vadis), checked starter system - could not explain what the problem was and why it would reoccur. Suggested that I use spare keys to run car. Recommended that "the next time" I not try and restart BUT have the car towed to dealer so that they could plug into ECM to diagnose - if I retart it, any trouble codes would be erased.

Well, yesterday morning (1/13/03) it started first thing and I drove the kids to school (1/2 mile). Came out after twenty minutes and IT HAPPED AGAIN!!! it would not start, no engine sounds what so ever, I disengaged and reengaged the automatic shift, I used both sets of keys, I locked and unlocked the doors with the remote, I tried and tried and NOTHING.

I had the car towed 45 miles to the Volvo dealer #2 as they had recommneded. The mechnaic got into the car turn the key and it started - I thought he was going to plug into the computer before trying to start it - No, he said, any registered trouble codes would not be erased by starting it. No trouble codes were identified. Once again, the problem could not be identified and now Volvo dealer #2 decided to once again, replace the starter relay switch, with a used one he got off another car (totaled) on the lot.

The Warranty Problem -
    He said he was doing this as a "courtesy" to me that he did not wish to spend any more time or expensive parts (new starter) on this problem "... after all you did not buy the car from us and it is out of warranty".

I drove home worried that this most likely will happen again, and with a 4 month old baby I could not risk a dead car in the cold of frigid winter weather.

This is not why we purchased a Volvo. We should be able to have this car serviced by any Volvo dealer like any other Volvo car under warranty and not to be treated as if we beggars needing a stable to sleep in.

Can anyone PLEASE give me any insight into how best to proceed with Volvo - do I need to call an attorney?

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    ljoeljoe Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 XC and wanted to add a few things you should know about the car seat issue. I too have 3 children in car seats, and although I absolutely love this car, installing the car seats in the 2nd row is a real pain. There is no easy way around it. The contour of the seats makes it very difficult for all 3 car seats/booster seats to sit comfortably on the seat. I've tried just about every configuration including using the built-in boosters and none really work that well, buckling the kids in has become hassle! I've recently resorted to putting my eldest child (6 years old) in the 3rd row. The seat belts are very tight and seem to fit him well. The problem is, you can't put much else back there with the seat up. We will be considering another vehicle when our lease is up, possible the xc90 or some other SUV. Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my 2001 XC. It had me very concerned that I was going to hit the car in front of me when it downshifted. I took it to the dealer to be checked out and they are replacing it. Ironically, since I had them check it out, I'm not having the problem any more, but I'm still going to have them replace the part. You should have them fix it since it's under warranty.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on three kids in a XC. Did you find that the biggest problem is getting all the "plastic" fitting on the back seat, or getting kids into the seats once they are finally buckled in? I, too, and thinking about the XC90 instead (or Honda Pilot), but the dimensions I've seen on the XC90's back seat don't look any better than the XC. If the problems go away once the plastic is locked in place I may still be willing to put up with the initial inconvenience.

Also, my other car is a van, and is the primary people mover. The XC would become the family car only in bad weather or if the van is down. Is your XC the primary vehicle or back-up?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Mine is the primary car, so I have to deal with it constantly. In your case, I wouldn't worry too much. For the limited number of times you'll actually be putting all 3 car seats in, you can probably deal with it and the frustration!

To answer your other question, the biggest problem is getting the "plastic" in. Once they're in there, they don't move an inch. But, it could take you a good hour just to get them in. Also, the kids are right behind you, kicking the back of your seat and fighting!

If I were you, I'd probably consider the XC90, because then at least you can put 1 or 2 of the kids in the 3rd row and there's not an issue with fitting all the "plastic" in. We are considering this too, but I'm not sure it's big enough, we have a large dog that we need space for also when we travel. We may have to consider a minivan or a larger SUV.
  • Options
    davidf3davidf3 Member Posts: 1
    I too had problem with lurch at idle. My dealer 128 volvo called volvo techs and they said that a control system and sealing ring (SOP valve body) needed to be replaced. They ordered part , fixed it 3 weeks ago and problem solved. Hope this helps all of you with problem
  • Options
    marylandmommarylandmom Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a used V70 wagon, and want the rear facing 3rd seat. Dealers whose cars didn't come with one have offered to install one for $1500. Q: Is there any real difference between a car that comes with one versus adding it after the fact? I have heard conflicting opinions from dealers, who of course want to sell me something so I am skeptical...
  • Options
    Is the same one you get from the factory.
    We have installed quite a few, its not a problem.
    Just takes a while to do.
    Includes the rear shoulder belts as well
  • Options
    jameshaydenjameshayden Member Posts: 16
    I see lots of emails on the Pirelli P6/P6000 tires but no clear conclusions. I need to replace mine (36K) and was looking for advice. Should I replace with Pirelli's or has anyone had a better experience with some other tires like Michelin or Dunlap?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks
    James
  • Options
    Never have liked Pirellis, Michelins are better in my opinion.
    Stronger sidewalls so they take damage better.
    Wear is about the same.
    If you want a good tire and want to save some $ try Nitto.
  • Options
    snowgrlsnowgrl Member Posts: 3

#1 of 2 incentives by snowgrl Feb 12, 2003 (12:15 pm)
    I found a 2002 v70 wagon that was a loaner car for the dealer the are asking 28,995 for it. I just read that in Oct 2002 the manufacturer gave the dealer a 3500 incentive. can I deduct this from
    the asking price of the car? how do these work?
    help please I am test driving it this weekend and would like to make a decision soon.
  • Options
    Since $28995 isn't msrp for a V70 wagon, assume the incentive is in there.
    However there is an additional incentive for it being a service loaner.
    You might be able to get it for a little less.
    Hard to say w/out knowing msrp and invoice prices.
  • Options
    the msrp with all options is 35,725. the invoice price is 33,311.

I also found a 2003 v70
    with invoice of 31,709 and mrsp of 33,770.
    I am trying to figure out which one I can get the best deal from. There doesn't seem to be any incentives except for financing of
    1.9 - 2.9 financing through volvo for the 03' only.
    any ideas of which one would be the best deal?
  • Options
    Probably the 02.
    If your credit score is high enough you can get financing @ 4.5 to 4.9%.
    If your score is average go with the 03 at 2.9%.
    Bottom line which car fits your budget better?
  • Options
    thanks volvomax i believe my credit is excellent.
    I am going to run my credit line before i go make any offers i am thinking the 02' hoping i can get the offer down another thousand or more
    no harm in trying.
  • Options
    Our driver's side wiper chatters (vibrates on the glass as it sweeps) at all speeds. We have had the blade replaced by volvo once but this does not help. Any suggestions?