Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    That is a pretty agressive price.

Steve
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Fitz had an automatic for $19.2k. Crazy. They're losing money, perhaps hoping to make it up on service?

-juice
  • Options
    tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    That's the price they're advertising here in CT
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I can't remember any car I have had in the last decade or so which instantly registered a change after a fillup , there is always a delay of at least some seconds. I know the first few months we had our Chevy Venture it drove me nuts as I could drive the mile home from the station before it showed it was full!
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    My friend has a 1999 Limited Outback Wagon with leather. It has a hood scoop so I thought, "cool, this has a turbo!"

But upon lifting the hood I saw no turbo intercooler. Were these hood scoops cosmetic or is there really a turbo lurking down there on this 1999 OB Limited?
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Sorry, Joseph,

...purely cosmetic - unless someone had a really creative after-market engine guy.

I also liked the aquamarine color of that vintage - would have preferred it to the Winestone of my 2K OB, although that color has worked out well over the last few years.

Ken in (sunny, again) Seattle
  • Options
    How silly! When did Subaru first put functioning hood scoops with turbos on legacies and Outbacks?
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    In the US, the '91 to '94 Legacy Sport Sedan and '92 to '94 Legacy Touring Wagon had a hood scoop to go along with their 2.2L Turbo motor. I'm not sure if these models had intercoolers though? Jimmy / Paisan can you comfirm that?

The '97 to '99 Legacy GT and Legacy Outback had "fake" scoops.

On the Impreza side, the '98 to '01 RS had "fake" sccops and somewhere along the line up to '01 the Outback Sport also acquired a "fake" scoop.

Starting with MY02, all US Subarus with hood scoops have a turbo under the hood. Currently these include '02+ WRX, '04+ WRX STi, '04+ Forester XT, '04+ Baja Turbo, '05 Legacy GT, '05 Outback XT.

DaveM
  • Options
    aveskiaveski Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a 2004 Outback (auto,w/ rubber floor mats,AC filter (is it worth having it?)& lighter for a little over 20K at Patriot Subaru in Saco ME. May have done a little better at Charlie's in Augusta, but I wanted a local dealer. Any way, I love the car. The pick up is OK for a 4-cyl. and it goes great on the highway. I haven't set my bike rack up yet, so I just put the rear seats down and stuffed my mountain bike in the back. Didn't even have to take the front wheel off. Are there any particular things to look out for as a new owner. I've had Hondas for the last few cars. Also,Patriot Subaru has a "Tires for life program" If you have them do the Subaru scheduled maintenance they give free tires for the life of your ownership. It's kind of a gimmick, but at 20-25K a year it might pay off.
  • Options
    Thanks dcm. I will let my friend know. I like better now that the scoops are actually functional!
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Congrats on the new Outback.
    Your tires program might be even better than you think. AWD cars need tire rotations about every 7K to help keep the tire at an equal circumference. So does that tire program include free rotations?

--Jay
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    I've started rotating tires on the same schedule as I cahnge my oil - every 3k miles. My tire guys are the ones that suggested that, just to keep it easieer to remember. They do 'em for free, so why not?

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats on the new OB! What color did you go for? The AC filter is worth it, especailly as allergy season is upon us. It's nice being able to fit a bike in the back of the wagon without taking the wheel off, although as someone who just added the bike rack I can say the rack is a lot easier.

Enjoy, and welcome to the crew!

Mark
  • Options
    Take one peek at the the old filter I removed from my HVAC, and you'll agree it's worth having.

-juice
  • Options
    I got my Outback in Silver Stone Metallic. I didn't like the two tone colors. I am going to mount my Thule rack system soon. It's nice being able to put the bike in the back,but the grunge factor will get out of hand. The Tire program doesn't include rotation, so I'll work it into my oil change schedule. Any word on the OEM Bridgestones? I got on the Tire Rack site and people didn't sound to thrilled by them. If anyone has more advice about the break in period etc. let me know.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles, vary the speed, then standard maintenance should do it. I am on Outback #2 - the first was relatively problem free, just wanted a new car. I agree with Tire Rack, hate the Potenza's, would have preferred the Michelin XW4's. Good luck and enjoy! Rob M.
  • Options
    pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    Congrats on the new Outback! I am in Portsmouth, NH and my 01 OB comes in very handy around these parts :)

Which Thule rack did you get? Does it require additional bars on the rack frame etc?
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Has a functional hood scoop. It takes cool outside air and forces it over the turbo itself. No intercooler on the USDM models of those years... However, I just picked up an STi v4 Intercooler that I plan to mate up to either a WRX turbo or stock turbo on my '94 Legacy to get an IC on there.

-mike
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Thanks for the confirmation Mike. I know my '89 GL-10 Turbo didn't have an intercooler (no hood scoop on the GL series turbos) and didn't think the 1st gen Legacy Turbos did but wasn't 100% sure.

DaveM
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    97-99 Legacies had the Fake Turbo Scoops, but no fakey intentioned. Subaru was just saving costs, using manufactured body panels that worked with the turbo models for the rest of the worlds Legacies. Just think where Subaru would be now if they had brought the real deals over earlier.
    If they had the 97-99 cars turboed there was no competition.
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    The Legacy won Germany's "Auto Bild" Magazine "2004 Readers Choice Car-Of-The-Year"

COTY - Japan
    COTY - Australia
    RCCOTY - Germany

What Next
  • Options
    I have the Thule "Big Mouth" upright rack (2) for my bikes. Rocky Mountain Element Race (mountain) and Fuji Roubaix (road). My daughter took up surfing last summer, so I'll have to lug her board around. At least until she and her brother get their licenses and can pay for insurance. Then they can fight over the Honda.Thule makes an adaptor that mounts on the factory rails and uses Thule cross bars. Then you can mount your stuff to it. RockyMounts just came out with a fork mount rack that attaches to the Subaru crossbars. I have about 550 miles on the Outback since last Thursday. No problems. I'm looking forward to cruising to the beach and mountain bike races this summer.
  • Options
    Motor Trend's awards is the most sought after for the marketing value, even though IMO it has little technical merit.

-juice
  • Options
    djb63djb63 Member Posts: 11
    I had been thinking for sometime about upgrading my 1995 Legacy LSi Wagon, it had 91K miles and had been thru 10 New England winters. While it had been a good car overall, I always felt the vehicle (at least for me) was underpowered @ 135HP. So while it still had a decent trade value,and with the 2005 models just around the corner, I got a really good offer for a 2004 LL Bean Outback. So I am now the proud owner of a 2004 LL Bean Edition Outback (Black Granite Pearl/Onyx Metallic). DJB63
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Congrats. Very sharp color. Hope you are OCD.

Greg
  • Options
    Hi, Anyone know where I might purchase steel wheels for winter use on my new LL Bean.
    I always use snow tires here in New England and would like to have steel wheels for the snows.
    I have not been able to find any information about steel wheels for 2004 Outback.
    One can find steel wheels for older Subaru's but not for the 2004 Outback/legacy. DJB63
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Inquire at the dealer. I saw steel rim and tire packages for $599. Rob M.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Try www.tirerack.com (there's even a link in the left sidebar!). They have some great winter tire/wheel packages.

CRaig
  • Options
    I got a winter wheel/tire pkg from TireRack for both my '02 OBW and Honda Ody. The steel wheels on the Ody are rusting, as expected. For the OBW, I got their FOX-5 painted alloys (made by FOMB). They look like WRX alloys, were less than $50/corner more than steels & covers, and are holding up great. Frankly, I think the car looks better in the winter with this package than it looks in the summer with the OE alloys! Something to consider....

Steve
  • Options
    Congrats on the new Bean, right now the 2004s are a good value.

-juice
  • Options
    Fibber2,
    Thanks for the input. I looked at the Fox5 @ Tirerack.com but had never heard of the manufacturer and was concerned that they might not hold up and/or fit right on the Outback. BTW which tires did you get? I have run Bridgestone Blizzak's and Nokia Hakkapeliitta's on my previous Legacy Lsi wagon with good results.
    Would you buy the Fox5's again? Thanks for your help.. DJB63
  • Options
    Juice,
    I want to thank you for all your input on this board..
    I have been a regular reader although not a contributor.
    My 10 years with the Legacy was a good experience.
    The Legacy overall was a good vehicle,while not without minor problems.
    As mentioned previously by biggest complaint was the 135HP..
    The LLBean Edition has a lot more zip.
    I hope that I can get 10 trouble free years from this one.
    BTW I took your advice and bought the Subaru Gold 7 year/100,000 warranty with $0 deductible. DJB63
  • Options
    DJ,

I bought the Dunlop Wintersport M2 (225/60-16) on the Fox 5 for the '02 OBW, same tire and size on steel for my '02 Odyssey. They are 'directional tires', so you have to pay attention to mark them and keep them on the correct side of the car. I am finding them a little hard to keep balanced, particularly on the Ody. Some high speed vibration even after a redo. But the grip in NY snow and ice is confidence inspiring on both vehicles.

Yes, I would do it again, but might spring for the alloys for the van as well. I love how the thinner spokes looks on the Subi!

Steve
  • Options
    Sweet, I have the same thing, Gold 7/100 no deductible on our Legacy.

Did you know you get full road side assistance? The full 7 years.

Our dealer has been great, they've really rolled out the red carpet for us.

-juice
  • Options
    IIRC Foxs are made by Mille Miglia which is a very reputable rim manufacturer and stand up extremely well to abuse.
    After over half a dozen cars with winter/summer wheels I have decided that getting steel wheels is such a PITA from the rust point of view I have gone to getting inexpensive alloys. None of my winter alloys have any corrosion but the steelies need prepping every summer for the next season!
    Tirerack sometimes have take off WRX OEMs for about 80 bucks each if my memory serves me. I got a set 2 years ago.The WRX OEMs look very good on my Legacy, should look great on an OB too.
  • Options
    Dennis,

Correct: TireRack's house brand "Sports Edition", which includes the FOX line, are made by FOMB, which also markets the Mille Miglia line. I am sure that there is a difference in them, as the Mille's are more expensive, but I have no complaints about how the FOX rims look, fit, wear, etc.

Steve
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Just in case anyone is interested...we have Connor from The Tire Rack in Town Hall who can assist/answer any questions about products from The Tire Rack.

Ask Connor at The Tire Rack
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Hello-o-o-o...anybody still there?

Just read the July issue of Car & Driver - it has a real nice article on the new ('05) Outback.

Sounds like they've made a move towards a "driver's car" - also towards a banker's car ($$$).

Hope y'all have a nice summer!

Sure am glad I bought an OB with a 4-cylinder and 5-speed (regular gas is $2.30 out in Seattle).

Cheers from sunny Seattle!

Ken M.
  • Options
    ensoccer589ensoccer589 Member Posts: 26
    Do a google image search...they're so hot!
  • Options
    frogfrog Member Posts: 52
    As I posted before, last week I bought a new 2004 35th ann. Leg wagon, standard 5 sp. white, for 19K. Charlies in Augusta ME seems to be a friendly dealership, and the biggest volume car dealer in ME....

Love the vehicle so far. My only concerns are winter rust and paint chips. I may be driving an old beater GMC when it gets snowy. Sort of defeats the purpose of the suby though... hard to say. Anyway, I will continue to post as I break it in. 600 + miles in the first week!!! fun fun fun.........
  • Options
    frogfrog Member Posts: 52
    thus far I find lacking the four speaker audio.. though not bad. Also the car is a bit low and tight getting in and out of. Fortunately I have adjusted to the steering wheel and armrest locations....
    Finally, I have gotten used to engine braking, but with all the complaints, I think larger vented rotors could be an improvement..
    The clutch is fine, though in first I can feel the wheel engage and wonder how much better the new dual flywheel clutch design is and if you could stick it in an 04...
    Nitpicks aside... I love this car!!!!!! Subaru is a really smart company..............
  • Options
    Don't worry, the steel is double-galvanized so as long as you touch-up any chips/dings you shouldn't have any problems.

My brother just bought a 2004 Legacy sedan, under $18k, they're a bargain now that the 2005s are arriving.

BTW, most people are chatting in the new 2005+ topic.

-juice
  • Options
    ensoccer589ensoccer589 Member Posts: 26
    Anyone else in the NE that has a C & D subscription not receive their magazine?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm in Boston and usually get mine in the mail around the first of the month although it has sometimes arrived 3 days before that or as late as the 3rd week of the month.

The current issue arrived yesterday.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Still waiting on mine here in Virginia... should've been here by now.

Craig
  • Options
    Just got mine on Fri or Sat, not sure.

-juice
  • Options
    What would happen if you put Legacy tires on a OB , besides lowering the height a little?
  • Options
    rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    Your speedometer would read faster than actual and you'd get less gas mileage.
  • Options
    It'll be quicker but you'll lose ground clearance, also.

Mostly the wheelwell will look empty.

paisan has ran autocross with smaller tires and took 2nd place, LOL!

-juice