Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• Options
    valhsvalhs Member Posts: 63
    If I wasn't over $8,000 upside down right now, I'd be the proud owner of a 2002 Caddillac DeVille DTS. Get this, I found a dealer on Ebay out of Memphis, TN (Crest Caddy) who's passing along all dealer rebates including the hold back. The sticker on the car is over $51,000, which I would NEVER and I repeat NEVER pay! But because my father worked for GM I can go GM S plan which is usually about $1,000 below dealer invoice. Here's the deal:

MSRP - $51,000 +
    Dealer Invoice - $45,000
    Rebate - $4,000
    Dealer Rebate - $2,000
    Dealer Holdback - $1,000
    Net cost to me - $38,000 delivered to VA.

If you want to see what I'm missing go to Ebay Motors, item #1874488049. I hate Chrysler even more!

cvp

Drive = I'm such a loser
  • Options
    Here's the correct number - 1874239091
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Being it is used (I call all of the 2002's used) because they are last years models and have taken (or should have) deperation for the first year. The price is good, but as soon as it gets off the lot you will incure a double wammey. The dealer hold back doesn't sound right eather usually 3%, on a 45K car you might want to add an addional $350 to it. I would check the prices of used 2002's to see what they go for, to determen if it is such a good deal. I would shoot for a 2003 for that price, then it would be a deal. Just my twenty (adjusted for inflation) cents.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the double wammey comment. You'll not only incur the drive off the lot depreciation but also the 1 yr. old depreciation. Even with that I'm still OK. KBB states that a 2001 Deville DTS with 12,000 miles is worth $38,160 retail and $33,560 private party. So even with depreciation my cost of ownership is around $4,500 for the first year. Even financing for 60 months I should come out even up.

Now this will surprise you, even with all the problems I've had I still like the LHS for the same reasons I bought it. It's just now that I'm ready to move on I can't because of $hitty resale value. Live and learn. I get my bonus in April, if Crest has any Caddys left, I may bite the bullet and eat the 8 g's.

Now here's the real reason to jump. Go look at Car and Driver for December 2002. Turn to page 158, ah the 0-60 times. Let me see;

DTS = 6.4 sec
    300M Special = 8.0 sec
    Mustang GT = 6.3 sec
    BMW 330i = 7.3 sec
    TL TypeS = 7.6 sec
    RSX TypeS = 7.8 sec
    G35 = 7.1 sec
    Altima 3.5SE = 6.3 sec
    Here's my favorite Lincoln LS V-8 Sport = 6.7 sec

Imagine the fun of hunting these sports cars and sedans in a true american luxo-yacht. Did I mention the 425 watt stereo and heated rear seats?
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Most I have seen have
    300M special at 7.2
    TL type S at 6.7
    LS v8 at 7.2
  • Options
    I'm just quoting the rag. (Car & Driver December 2002) It just blows me away that the DTS can do 0-60 in 6.4 sec. Even if the numbers you list are correct the DTS still has 'em covered. Now I just have to dye my hair gray and get some plaid golf slacks so I fit it. My wife calls it "an old man's car". She may be right.

Did I mention the ultra-sonic rear parking assist and rain sensing wipers?
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    My wife called the early versions of the LHS a grandpa's car.
    When we got our 01 LHS she said we had to put a spoiler on it so it would not look like a grandpa car.
    Since she's had it for a year now and has gotten so many compliments on it her opinion sure has changed. Now she wants to know how long she can keep it. She wants to "Drive it forever"
  • Options
    lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    When I was looking to purchase a new vehicle I was in the market for a two door sport/lux vehicle. Unless you go euro-box there is not much domestic choices available. Did not want a Camaro, Mustang, Firebird and I am a few years short of doing the mid-life thing with the Corvette. But when I saw my first LHS I could not believe that a production vehicle (not to mention a four door)could look so much like a concept vehicle. Have you seen the LHX concept? I get many compliments from the young crowd however I do think they think it is too big of a car.
  • Options
    Yes that's the one I got. It has an led bar in it and came with a perfect color match to my steel blue.
    I ordered that one as it fit the lines of the car so well.
    I did not like the factory one and the local custom parts store had another I did not like.
    I did disconnect the original third brake light as it seem to much with the led's in the spoiler.
    I love to park next to other LHS and Concordes just to show off the spoiler :>)

http://www.california-dream.com/images/99chrylhs73l.jpg

Hey Fedlawman, you still out there? This sure would help you go faster chasing those bad guys.

Also added these wind deflectors, they are not stick ons but fit into the window channel so that the chrome around the window still shows. The tint is a lot lighter than the picture so they match the windows very well
    http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=12&veh_id=163&year_no=2001&veh_opt_choice_id=&item
  • Options
    For those of you that just hate to look at the air bag labels on the visors, there is a company that will make metal labels that will cover them. They have the Chrysler name and wing logo below it.

http://www.ptwarehouse.com/accessories/interior/visor.jpg

Although not shown on their web site
    they will make them up in a rectangular shape with rounded edges at
    2-3/4" X 5" that will cover the sticker on the LHS/300M visors.They are available in silver background with black letttering,
    black background with gold lettering or gold background with black lettering.The following catalogue numbers are not
    shown on the web site but are what you should use if you want to order them.
    VISORSLV-05 for silver background
    VISORBK-05 for black background
    VISORGLD-05 for gold background

If you are driving a Concord, Sebring ,Intrepid T&C or Neon and want these just measure your labels to make sure
    they will cover the stickers on your cars.
    You see what they look like for the PT cruiser and also place your orders at the following site.
    http://www.ptwarehouse.com/index1.htm
    They cost $16.00 U.S. a pair
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Yup, still here.

I don't think I need a wing.

I found out a few weeks ago that my LTD is speed limited to 105 MPH...Boo Hoo!
  • Options
    jab02lhs,

I like the airbag warning covers, nice touch, upscale.

fedlawman,

I agree with you, if you just found out your limiter stops you at 105, you don't need a wing. I knew my top speed within days of purchase. After the 1,500 mile breakin of course.

valhs
  • Options
    All it takes is a chip and v Rated tires to remove the speed limit er. No limits flashing lights and a badge it don't get any better. My problem is it would take alimony payments to remove my speed limit er.
  • Options
    fbreffbref Member Posts: 3
    What tires have others bought to replace the Goodyear Eagle's that were OE? I have 41k miles and need to get them replaced soon.

Also - reading someposts about people having problems. My '99 LHS has had a fuel pump replaced (twice - dealer didn't install it correctly 1st time), body control module replaced, fuel sensor replaced, window switches (yes plural) replaced, trunk still leaks, fuel gauge replaced and I think there were even more - all before 3 years of age.

Even after all that I still like the looks and ride when it runs well...
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I got my 01 300M 18 mo based partly upon my father's excellent experience with his early 99 LHS. His only troubles have been bad plug wires (bad batch on some early LHS's) and need to replace the battery last month (4 years is not bad for an OEM battery). After 4 years he still is enthused with the LHS's style, size, and luxury. I feel the same way about my 300M
    after 18 trouble-free months.

He has had wonderful service from his OEM Goodyear LS tires & repleced them with a 2nd set after a bit under 50K miles. I had great service from those same tires on my previous sedan (a Dodge Intrepid). Other well-spoken of alternative tires for the LH cars are Yokohamas (approx $100 ea) and Michelins (several types ranging from $100-$250+/tire).

I agree fully that ALL the automakers (foreign & domestic) do not do nearly enough to police bad dealers. It costs them sales!!!!! At least with Chrysler (or Dodge) you can just go to another dealer for service, which may be impossible if there is but a single
    Acura/Infiniti/BMW/MB/Volvo/VW etc. dealer in your area. I have personally witnessed episodes of HORRIBLE treatment of friends at some of these "captive audience" dealers. Choose your car dealer as carefully as your car!!!!!

Don't forget that depreciation has become a real hit for ALL cars recently with the proliferation of cheap leases/0% financing/rebates on new cars. If you don't believe me, check out how the 'blue books" have changed on late model BMW 328i's and MB C240's since they've started offering entry level leases on these babies.

Jon
  • Options
    mdantemdante Member Posts: 2
    Hey LHS friends,
    Has anyone considered wider tires? Can anyone recommend another wider size?
    I have had my 99 lhs cinamon glaze for three months. Love it! It is a unique looking car!
  • Options
    Wider is not necessarily better. I've had 245/45/17's on the car and did not like the tracking of the car over rough roads. We're talking serious wander. I had to have both hands on the wheel on bumpy roads to maintain control, however it did corner like a car 1,000 lbs. lighter. These were Goodyear Eagle F1's, but I would not recommend. I currently have Dunlop SP Sport A2's, 235/55/17's these are by far the best. I would not recommend going more than 1 size (225 vs. 235) up. If you do your squeezing the tire onto the rim and your inviting sidewall flex that is more than noticeable, it's down right scarey. mho.

cvp
  • Options
    but at the dealer again for service. I seriously pitty anyone without an extended warranty. 4 months ago and roughly 5,000 miles and I'm either replacing my transmission or the speed sensor again. I will know for sure tomorrow. Car slipped severly today leaving a stop light and tranny didn't engage until 3,000 rpms, a rude awakening to say the least. Two more intersections and two more, just as severe slips. Then the usual engine light blazing and vehicle goes into "limp mode" with tranny locked in 2nd gear. On a side note I'm surprised that the bulb for the engine light hasn't burned out yet, it been on nearly as much as the headlights. Anyway, dealer tells me to just drive it to the dealership, but keep the rpms below 3,500. I explain that this would mean a 35 mile trip doing 40 mph on a 55 mph highway. Tech says OK. I say OK what? You expect me to drive 15 mph under the speed limit in rush hour traffic without a kevlar suit. Idiots. Tech asks well don't you have AAA? I say no, don't you have a guarantee on your workmanship? Well Mr. XXXXX we haven't established that this is the speed sensor again, replies the tech. Fine, I'll get my rollback to the office to pick up the car. Tech says, we can recommend a tow company. I reply I'll bet you can. By the way Mr. Technichian any chance I can use my free rental coupon? Sorry, we just loaned out our last car. Sound familiar, same as last time. No rentals. Before I buy my next car, I think I'll ask the dealer if they have any rentals. If they don't, it's probably a sign that so many customers cars are in the shop for repair that they can't keep up. I wonder what my dealer's ratio is on cars for sale vs. cars for rent. It must be one to one with Chrysler's reputation for quality.

Part Two tomorrow.............
  • Options
    This is NOT a commercial but it is a testimonial. Got my LHS back today, supposedly this time it was the speed sensor output vs. the input like last time. So of course the dealer is not responsible for the breakdown or liable for the repairs. Funny how the symptoms were exactly the same as when this occurred back in September. Anyhow, thank god I have the 1source auto warranty. 100% covered!

$75 towing - covered
    $75 diagnostic - covered
    $70 sensor - covered
    $27 install - covered
    Total saved - $247

They would've also covered a rental car too! So far they've saved me over $550 and at the rate that these Chryslers break down I will have recovered my investment in the extended warranty by the end of the year!

Chrysler = poor quality
    1sourceautowarranty = love
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    valhs-

SOME day you'll look back on all of this and wonder........ HOW did I do it!! I know. Been there, done that!

fastdriver
  • Options
    bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    I have an extra grill, and I was thinking of chroming it. Then I thought it might be easy enough to replace the grids with mesh (kind of like the new Bently). See what it would look like. Any thoughts?

http://home.attbi.com/~beesh/Lhs-grill.jpg
  • Options
    I love it and would buy one in an instant if it wasn't for that damn front plate here in Ohio.
    It makes any grille look like a POS.

I think it would be a better choice than chroming the original.
    The original may be to busy looking chromed.

The guys on the 300M board went with Billet grilles first and are now working on mesh grilles to replace the billets. You may want to contact them for some friendly helpful advise on what material they used and where the got them.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    I like it. Thats the way it should come from the factory
  • Options
    heidigreenlawheidigreenlaw Member Posts: 26
    At the risk of sounding ignorant - can someone tell me the major differences between the LHS & the 300M? I'm looking at buying a used 2000 of either one. I've read what Edmunds says about each one, but I want to hear from those of you that actually own these cars. Why did you choose one over the other? Thanks!
  • Options
    LHS has more leg room, more cubic feet in the trunk, dual chrome exhaust tips and is faster. Faster you say? Yes!

0-60mph LHS 7.5 vs. 7.7 300M

0-120mph LHS 32.7 vs. 35.7 300M

Both 15.7 in 1/4 Mile however LHS is going 89 vs. 88 for the 300M

The LHS also handles better .80g's vs. .79g's for the 300M

Even though the LHS is nearly 10 inches longer, it weighs 30lbs. less than the 300M.

The only option available on the 300M which is not available on the LHS is the autostick. This is a major source of headaches for owners with major reliability issues. Having said that, both vehicles are reliability and resale nightmares, but that can work to your advantage. My guess is that you find a slightly used 300 or LHS in the neighborhood of $12,000. Not bad unless you paid sticker - $32,000. My advice for you is to take the money you've saved and invest in a quality extended warranty. I have 1 source auto warranty and they haven't failed me yet. Two fully covered service visits, rentals, diagnostic, towing, parts, labor, nearly bumper to bumper coverage - they're great! jmho
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I drive a 2002 LHS (Concorde Limited, actually) as a daily driver, but have also spent some time in the 300M.

IMO, these two cars are so nearly identical that you should choose whichever one you prefer based on looks, condition, price, trim, or whatever other preferences you have.
  • Options
    heidigreenlaw-

I'd think again! Don't want to see a fellow CT-ite get stuck!

fastdriver
  • Options
    The 2000 300M and the LHS are excellent buys. Where else can you find a vehicle that stickered at $32,000 for $12,000. I defy you to find a Lincoln, Cadillac, Buick, Infiniti or Acura at 62.5% off sticker. But take my advice, don't pay over $12,000 (they're out there) and buy a damn good extended warranty.
  • Options
    valhs-

LOL...... Should have read my bio a LONG time ago! Every word is the truth! Oh well- live and learn. Get the Lysol out.

fastdriver
  • Options
    Bob,

Here's one for ya. I just had a tire go down on me the other day. After inspection I noticed a nail imbedded in the tread. Bought the plug kit and pulled into my garage for repair. After jacking the vehicle I cleared the trunk to get to the lug wrench. As soon as I pulled the cover off of the spare I noticed a musty smell. It was dark and even with the trunk light it was hard to see. After returning with a flashlight I couldn't believe my eyes - nearly 6 gallons of water swimming in my spare tire well (well literally). I say 6 gallons because it nearly filled my wet/dry shop vac. Because I had transported products packed in ice over the past few weeks I explained this away as melt off from the ice. This all happened about 2 weeks ago. Well tonight I have another tire go down, another nail. Not my month for tires. Same drill, clear trunk, take off cover......you gotta be kiddin' me! More water!? Sure enough, not as much, but about two gallons of water in the well. I'm clueless now. I haven't transported ANYTHING after the initial discovery, so I'm wondering what the heck?

This is where fate comes in. I see you answered heidigreenlaw about her purchase descision, sage advice I might add, but mine was funnier. So I say to myself, I've exchanged stories with fastdriver now on 2 or 3 occassions but never checked his bio'. So tonight I check. At the bottom is a section called "here's what I've been saying" along with the sections "LHS", "300M", etc. So I check 300M since I rarely go there anymore AND WHAT DO I FIND.......Your last post #22996 on February 8th, 11:25 am in the 300M section regarding a TSB on "WATER AND/OR DUST COLLECTION IN THE SPARE TIRE WELL TRUNK FLOOR". Fate, destiny, who knows? That just blew me away and I had to share.

Needless to say another trip to the dealer:

Repair body seam

Replace truck matting - moldy

Replace spare tire cover - moldy

Replace jack, spare, lug wrench assembly - rusty

Chrysler stinks, their lack of quality, resale value, customer service and overall dealership experience give them a well deserved last place finish in the domestic car market. I will NEVER make the mistake of buying a Chrysler product again!
  • Options
    john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    I stumbled on this thread by accident, and am sorry to hear of your brush w/ Chrysler Quality..., I reached the same decision a couple of years ago re: never buying Chrysler products.

It's a shame, because their cars are, imho, some of the best, if not the best looking cars on the road. After changing about 3 transmission in a Dodge Caravan, ES and having to deal w/ flaking, chipping paint, I said, "No more". Chrysler of course took the pathetic course of action and stood behind nothing. So, Chrysler is a joke... too bad unwarry consumers fall prey to them.

Btw, the same crappy transmissions that have been failing for over 15 years are still used in their vans today; you figure it. Good luck w/ your situation.
  • Options
    My mother bought a 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport and within 40,000 miles replaced the transmission, air conditioning system, and had numerous electrical problems. She actually sued Chrysler on the air conditioning system and won. Chrysler uses the same system in the Jeep Grand Cherokee under a different part number and had a recall on that model. My mother simply stated in her letter to Chrysler that she would be using this information in her court case. 2 days prior to the trial a lawyer representing Chrysler called to settle the case for parts, labor and other fees. As usual Chrysler must be sued into doing the right thing for their customers. There are too many quality auto makers to choose from to tolerate a company that can't get it right.

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    ottowrkr provided the following URL in the 300M section regarding seat bolt recall for all LHS, Concorde, 300M, and Intrepids built between 1998 and 2002:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0302/14/autos-85317.htm

Suggest all read it and be aware.

Miles
  • Options
    I've just noticed a slight smoke coming from the front of the car, and I could smell antifreeze (maybe) inside the car. I think that a hose connection on the radiator might be loose, although not much antifreeze is missing. Anyone had this problem before? What else could it be? Thanks.
  • Options
    Just a few months ago, had the same event. In my case, I noticed a bit of antifreeze on the garage floor.

Cause was a loose clamp and the left lower hose entry into the bottom of the radiator. The fluid was being thrown up onto the engine when driving, causing "smoke". Simply tightening the clamp solved the problem. It's probably a good idea to check and tighten all engine compartment clamps if your LHS is a couple of years in service.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Thanks, exactly what I thought. I'm at 43000 miles right now, so things like this are expected.
     Will take care of it the next semi-warm day!
  • Options
    innate123innate123 Member Posts: 3
    heyas..

went to a dealer and saw a beautiful '99 LHS...69K..no nicks..scratches..interior bful...sound system(nice..but not awesome)..altho i'm a stero nut so maybe i'm picky...

rode excellent and heard no noises..tire noise seemed to be high tho...read this forum and now if all over would check the tire brand..they had at least 50% wear left in treads...

ok to bottom line...dealer started with the 12k sticker price and now $10,500...and i think he'll go to 10k even...it looks like i should go with a extended warrenty for sure...what is a reasonable price and time frame for extended warranties..never looked at them before...but this does seem like a big bang for the buck car...love the color...champagne i think...thx

T
  • Options
    Tim--

Exactly the model and color I have, bought in April '98. In spite of quite a few original problems, I have enjoyed mine, now at 49.5K miles.

Yes, an extended warranty is a good idea, be prepared to spend close to $1500, with that kind of mileage, but it may be worth it. The early '99 models have had some problems, but by 69K, a previous owner should have fixed them. By early, I mean that the car was built in 1998 prior to 1999. Check the door label, driver's side for date of build.

Early '99's had neither 100K coolant nor ATM IV (4) tranny fluid. If you buy, suggest you have both the coolant system and tranny flushed and replace the fluid with those discussed above. Your dealer can tell you which is installed. Matter of fact, suggest you make your deal contingent upon the dealer doing that for you as part of the price since both fluids are not cheap.

Price sounds reasonable, though, especially at 10K. Kelley's shows them in my area (No. VA) running about $8500; suggest you check Kelley's for prices in your area.

The stereo was one of the few original options, other than 5 chrome wheels and moon roof. Standard stereo was a bit weak, but the optional 300w Infinity blasts out the music in a very good range of sound. You might find one in a junker and replace the sheaper unit, tho optional package also has 11 speakers vs the 9 of the cheaper unit.

Hope someone put on good tires since most people got rid of the OEM Goodyears for balance, out-of-round, and ply problems. If it rids well over 40MPH, doesn't pull to one side or other or if the front wheels don't vibrate under braking, you should have a good one. I have Michelin XRM Pilots installed; they're great.

Need any other info, e-mail me at mileshoover@adelphia.net.

Miles
  • Options
    innate123-

The other thing you should have the dealer do, if it's a Chrysler dealer, is run the car's VIN through their computer to see what kind of warranty record it has. Just a thought.

fastdriver
  • Options
    heyas..

will do gents...the dealer price here..bluebook is 12k...the private party price is 10k...talked to an auction guy..and there going for approx 9100 wholesale with about 40k miles...

the auction guy is the one that told me 10k would be good price as it is a "clean" car from the outside...i'm not sure if it is early or late '98..but i'll have the dealer run the VIN for service record...thx for the ideas..i must have the average stereo...i see i have an infinity speaker on the driver's door...but only 3 simple adjustments...bass...midrange..treble..

tim
  • Options
    innate123-

Even if it had the "upgraded" stereo, you wouldn't like it anyway if you're an audiophile. Never heard the regular stereo, but the upgraded one was nothing to write home about compared to the BOSE found in Nissan products.

If it's the Infinity upgraded model, you would have two "triangular" shaped speakers on the front doors, right next to the glass. If you click on my name above, I MIGHT have some pics of them somewhere.

fastdriver
  • Options
    heyas...

still dealing on the '99 LHS...referenced above..got my dealer to finally give me a good trade in for my '97 explorer sport(hate it)...so i'd pay about 4000k after trade for the lhs with 69K...it does have infinity speakers by the window so maybe it is upgraded..anyways..

this was a local car bought and serviced by this dealer so i had "all" of the service records..and maintenence records...serviced very regularily..geesh..she even had it washed and cleaned all the time by the dealer..minor things i noticed were the hose tightening things..and the trunk open/close function...all fixed...the big thing was 2 transmission modulators...approx $350 per time were fixed..

now the kicker..i decided i was gonna buy it but wanted to take it for one more day to see if i truly liked it...well...check engine light went on..and i thought it was the transmission modulator...dealer called me today and said 4th gear is gone...they will replace the entire transmission and are still offering the same deal..btw..they will also be replacing all the tranny and coolants to tne newer fluids(that was before the tranny went out)...

so how would the new tranny be?..i suspect this is a good thing having it all replaced before purchasing it...let me know what you think?

thx

tim
  • Options
    tim -

I'd be tempted still to buy the car. I had the same tranny problem on my '94; had the tranny replaced around 35k and drove it to about 120k until buying my present '99 in April '98.

Since the car is an authentic 'cherry', my opinion is go for it.

Good luck!

Miles
  • Options
    fastdog1fastdog1 Member Posts: 19
    I have noticed now on my 2000 LHS with 40K that the coolant recovery bottle is developing what I can only describe as a black crud. It has the extended life coolant(orange) that is to be serviced at 5yr or 100K. I know many of you will say that is to long to wait. Possibly, but right now there is no technical support to decide on a sooner interval to change extended life coolant. I have heard rumors that GM is having trouble with their Dexcool extended coolant but nothing about the Chrysler side. I actually saw that Zerex(Mopar's maker)is finally available in stores now so you don't have to spend the extra bucks at the dealership for the same fluid. If anyone else is dealing with this now or in the past I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.
  • Options
    fastdog1fastdog1 Member Posts: 19
    Sorry I couldn't get the link in properly but this is of interest to some of us.
    www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/20030312_dai_chrysler_se- dans.xml
    The NHTSA on March 12, 2003 has opened an investigation on the 1999 & 2000 LHS,300M,and Intrepid for a throttle sticking problem.
  • Options
    I have had no problems and I installed it in late '98 when it became available for the LHS; it is still clear. But have noticed the availability of the same fluid other than at Mopar. At Mopar, it was about $15 a gallon as I recall; no smaller size was available.

Given the "contamination" you report, I'd ask a dealer to check the system/engine for oil leakage into the coolant (as in a broken head gasket or whatever). Or if you can do a cylinder compression check, it should give you a clue.

I have my LHS serviced at a local Texaco Fastlube which didn't have that fluid available, so I would take a jug, previously bought from Mopar, along with me when getting the car serviced. This last week, Texaco had it in stock but charged a few dollars extra to top off the fluid reservoir; whereas the green stuff is included in the service price.

Miles
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Does anyone know what I can do to stop the windows from sticking closed on my 2000 LHS. Sometimes have to fight with the switch to get them to move. Any and all suggestions welcome....Thank you.
  • Options
    Yep. Take a putty knife (or a credit card) and slip it around the window and weatherstrip molding, both inside and out. That will cut lose the gunk that is causing the windows to stick.

Then, seriously clean the top edge of the windows to get all that stuff off the edges. Likewise, clean inside the weatherstrip thoroughly. What is happening is auto car washes fluids and/or heat are oxidizing the stripping onto the glass. If you make a practice of doing this about once a week or two, you should have no further trouble.

The weatherstripping is probably tighter than on most other cars or of a material that oxidizes easily. Chrysler supposedly had the supplier correct the mixture for making this stuff from about 2001 onward.
  • Options
    -----------------------------------------------
    Chrysler supposedly had the supplier correct the mixture for making this stuff from about 2001 onward.
    --------------------------------------------------
    According to the posts on the 300M club site the problem has still not been corrected. Owners of '02 and '03's are also reporting the problem.

I just make sure to crack all four windows once a week to break the seals on my '01. 18 months old now and no problems just the black marks at the top of the window that I clean off about once a month.