Three years ago I got a fantastic deal on a car because I was buying a 2006 model just when the new 2007 version was arriving to the dealer. They were desperate to get rid of their old inventory and I ended up paying invoice minus $1K out of the door. That was a different make and model. This time around, I am in the market for a CR-V or a RAV4. Can I count on getting a similar deal and what's the best timing (I can wait a few months)? Also, are there any other incentives I should be aware of?
Basically, my question is: if I want to get the absolute best deal, what's the best timing to start approaching the dealers and what should my negotiating technique be?
PS: I am a cash buyer.