Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti J30

Comments

• Options
    acarter2acarter2 Member Posts: 63
    Cook, you will love this car! Get use to BMW's and Audi's and any other lux car's pulling up next to you on the highway to test the J's performance. It happens to me every day here on the Beltway of Wash DC. Just look away and hit the gas! Bye-bye!
  • Options
    Hey guy, How much was the key at Infiniti? I only have one key for my car now. The wife lost the other one.
  • Options
    ashinnashinn Member Posts: 3
    RBCook: I also have a dark green 1997 J30. The correct name of the color, as listed in the J30 catalog for that year, is Cypress Pearl. It has a yellowish cast when viewed in certain lights at the right angle, while the dark green on earlier years had a definite blueish cast. There is an earlier year that parks near me at work, and I can see a distinct difference. When I went to the dealer for touch-up paint, Infiniti has the color listed as Evergreen. The part no. is: 999PP-7GDPO (or 0 - can't tell).
  • Options
    bscbluebscblue Member Posts: 103
    Cook, I've noticed that too; I'm sure a lot of J30 owners have. if the car is well-maintained people can't really tell the difference between it and the newer models coming out, especially with HID (or in my case, faux HID) lights in place. It's design is at once stylish and elegant without being tacky in a Jaguar sort of way (yeah, new Jags are a bit tacky).

I also have a question. Does anybody know where I can get my hands on the front floor mats of the 1993 J30? If I am not mistaken, the 1993 model year was the only year that the front mats of the J had the name "J30" was imbroidered into the mats, the other years just got the Infiniti symbol.
  • Options
    bigdog5160bigdog5160 Member Posts: 3
    I have been bitten by the J30 bug. I am currently looking to purchase a 1995 J30t with 98k miles on it. I will be driving it approximately 70 miles a day (during the week)and would like to know if anyone can relate and let me know what I can expect for high miles with this fine automobile?
  • Options
    doctordave1999doctordave1999 Member Posts: 14
    About 4 months ago, I purchased a 1994 J30t with 94K miles. I haven't regretted it, in fact it is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Just yesterday, I gave someone a ride in the 1994 car and they asked if it was new model. I had to laugh when I pointed to the odometer, which is fast approaching 99K miles.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that at 105K, you are due for a scheduled timing belt change. If you will be driving 70 miles per day 5 days per week, it is only a matter of a few months before you will hit 105K. Keep that in mind as you negotiate your best deal when purchasing, because it will cost somewhere between $700 and $1200 (depending on your dealer's labor rates) to have the 105K service.

As long as you know this in advance and are prepared to cover that expense after a few months, I see no other reason to let the miles scare you away.
  • Options
    I have been bitten by the J30 bug. I am currently looking to purchase a 1995 J30t with 98k miles on it. I will be driving it approximately 70 miles a day (during the week)and would like to know if anyone can relate and let me know what I can expect for high miles with this fine automobile?
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I'm just so awfully glad to hear everyone in this group is happy beyond belief with their vehicle. Where were you guys when they were selling these things new? Why didn't it sell when it was on the open market?

Great deals on used cars happen all the time, and best wishes to those who have benefited. I'm willing to bet that the people who are stung with their used "J" deals aren't nearly so likely to broadcast the results here, since it may reflect more on them than the car.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Well, to answer your question, cdnpinhead, speaking for me personally, the reason I did not buy a new J30 back in 1993-1997 when they were made was that back then, I could not afford one. They were priced somewhere between 37K and 41K and all I could afford back then was a Honda Civic. (Which by the way, dollar for dollar, is probably one of the best value, high cars ever sold--but that's another post).

When I went looking for luxury several years later, I found that the used J30's didn't have the high resale value that used Lexus and Acura did, so I was able to get my J30 Cheap.

Speaking for the rest of the world, the reason J30's weren't a hot seller back in the mid 90's when new is that the styling was simply Ahead of Its Time....i addressed this in a previous post a while back. I also noted that a year or two after the J30 was discontinued, other carmakers began to copy it's styling with that sloping rear deck. The new cars are using old J30 styling, which is one reason the J30 continues to look like a new car---the copycats are just now catching up.

That's my two cents---again.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Thx for the response.

Pardon the tone, but a lot of what I read here is a bit hard to swallow.

The reason I follow your board is that I owned Nissan products for years and years and they were wonderful. I really, really crave two things in an automobile: 1) rear-wheel drive and 2) a manual transmission.

The "J" at least has RWD.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Doctordave, what's hard to swallow about most of the owners being satisfied with their vehicles? The J-30 is a great car with some fanatical owners. You don't find that on many other chat boards.
  • Options
    Just what is so hard to swallow? Im sure if you ask a specific question, you will get many specific answers.... So tell us what you don't believe.
  • Options
    Yeah, Pin, it's not that hard to believe. The J30 is not a car without flaw, no one's saying that. But dollar-for-dollar and feature-for-feature this car is just as good as one of those new $40 grand deals coming down the pike.

The only thing it does not have that can be easily retrofitted is side air bags. Anything else like HID lights and a nav system can also be had if you really, really want them. And the engine, suprisingly enough, can be modified somewhat because it is the same engine from the 300ZX. But the car is just technologically advanced enough to be easily repaired by your local shop but not so much so that shade-tree mechanics can't fix anything that goes wrong with it. What more could you want?

The reason why I myself did not get one way back in 1993 is because I just turned 13. LOL When you're that age, it's hard to persuade parents on purchases liek that, especially with a father who has only a penchant for American luxury cars. But who does come to advice for now?
  • Options
    mmiller91mmiller91 Member Posts: 2
    I tried to replace my malfinctioning headlamp relay last night but had to give up. I could not get the old relay up and out far enough to access the 2 electrical feeds/clips on the bottom of the relay. The wiring harness does not have enough slack to allow me to get my hands under the relay to disconnect the clips and reconnect them to the new relay. Hopefully someone as the secret to doing this. HELP! Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    I had the same problem and here's what I did: After purchasing a special socket extender from Wal-Mart to loosen the relay, I tried removing the relay in the parking lot and it fell off and down into the assembly. I drove next door to a Quick Oil Change type place and explained the situation. It took three of their best guys ten minutes to get the relay off, using their tools, they handed me the old one and my socket that had fallen down there. I handed them the new one and tipped them $20 cash to put it on for me, which took another 10 minutes. It saved me some scraped knuckles and a lot of money at the dealership---Infiniti charges something like 1.5 hours labor to do it. The oil change guys didn't have to do this for me, but guess where I'll be going for routine service from now on.

Moral of story: if you're not mechanical (I'm not) and you don't own the right tools, sometimes it's better to pay someone else a few bucks cash to save you some headaches.
  • Options
    Blue, you will know the answer to this question. I want a Nav system. Have you seen any for the J30? And where is it mounted? I want one that is installed in the car, not one of those that clips onto the dashboard like the Hertz never lost.
  • Options
    Well, Carter, that is a good question! A lot of people are getting those things, even the clunkers have nav systems. But they can also double as mobile home theater systems (the J30 already has the perfect amount of speakers for a Dolby Digital EX set-up, just add an unobtrusive subwoofer) and even more. The new navigation systems allow mounting of small cameras, just like in the Q45, in the rear so you can back up with ease. Like I have said, you can make your J30 perform like a new $50 grand car but you can do it for a lot less money (saving on insurance and high monthly payments of a brand new car!). I remember the first time I saw a nav system. It was in the film "Nothing But Trouble" which starred Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, and Dan Aykroyd. Chevy Chase had a vintage 733i that was black and had these deep dish chrome rims with low profile tires. It also had this cool swing-out nav system. I just had to have that car! So many memories . . . LOL

But anyhoo, what you can do is go to a local mobile elctronics place, one with a good reputation (usually ones with television commercials are your best bet) and see what they can do. Most likely, you can get a custom made fitting for a nav system and replace your current Bose system with a LCD screen and all the trimmings. This part has to be done right or it can become a big ol' eyesore, like I have seen in a few cars. Some cars have stereos that are your basic rectangle which allow for easy installation of those slide-out nav screens and systems, like the ones from Alpine. But the J30 doesn't have that luxury. You can have one installed on the dash which is thankfully free of extraneous bumps, curves, and swoops. It can even be in a little leather-covered pod that is always up or a particularly good installer can build a unit that can come up out of the dash and then flush mount to be hidden.

Now, are you sure you don't want a "clip-on" system? Those can be outfitted tastefully and look really cool in some cases. As a matter of fact, if you got to a good installer, they can do a hideaway system. Some friends and I were discussing just this subject, like where to put nav systems in our cars; one friend just got himself a Mazda Millenia and another has a Blazer. We all agreed the center console of the J would be perfect for a fold-out system; that would be a perfect place because it could be easily viewed by front seat passengers and rear seat passengers. A trunk-mounted DVD changer would allow hold the map DVDs, movies, and music.

But if you really don't want an externally mounted system, you are looking at a custom installation. That's not easy but it can be done. So my advice, if you don't want an externally mounted system, is to go and see a professional in your area. And just in case you don't already know, get references! Externally mounted systems can be purchased just about anywhere. Some sites you might want to check out that offer info, purchase options, and other nav stuff are: www.carnav.com (for an overview and purchase), www.smartmotorist.com/nav/nav.htm, www.mobile-audio.net, and www.autonav2000.com. All these sites will help familiarize you with different systems and how they all work.
  • Options
    acarpelacarpel Member Posts: 6
    I know some of you are gadget freaks, but let me add my 2 cents. I have a few antique cars as well as my J30. It doesn't make me an expert, but I do have experience. Gadgets on used luxury cars are the first things to break, and the most expensive to fix. If you're anal, like me, you have to fix it and that takes time or costs $$$. The beauty of the "J" is that, for a luxury car, it is simplicity itself. Like a Japanese poem, where more is less. For example, the navigation system in the the new Q. Imagine it 7 years later with a dusty defective diode, etc. It controls the radio, heat, air, everything but the drivetrain. And who could fix it, but the dealer. Ever try to fix the auto temp control on an old Caddy? Mucho denaro. I know many of you have the blue light bulbs. But the real systems on Lexus and Acura require a $2000. power booster system, that probably costs as much to fix. (Sorry but your blue bulbs, just ain't the same.) And what about Lexus' electro-luminesent speedometer? Cool to look at, but what if it goes south. Or the Millenia S' supercharger? Or any of the barely useful crap in the new BMW's? We already have dual airbags, anti lock brakes, power seats, windows, auto temp, and the needlessly proprietary Bose stereo. Why ask why? The J30 was the last relatively simple $40,000. luxury car of the last decade. Learn to appreciate "haiku".
  • Options
    I agree with your comments 100%. How ever Im a Infiniti fan for life, one day I will have to trade the J30t in for a new car, The 2002 Q is what I have an eye on. I hope the car is built to last and so are the gadgets. $$$$$$:)I always buy 2 year old cars that have low millage. So it will be a pre owned Q.
  • Options
    I thoroughyl agree with you, Carp. Heaven forbid something go wrong on a much older luxury car (which, as we all know, have the most gadgets) and you're looking at totally exorbitant repair costs. I mean, the new air suspension system on the LS430 (I heard from an uncle who has one and inquired about future repair issues with mechanics) would cost so much to repair if it broke you may as well go ahead and junk the car if you've owned it more than a few years and it isn't covered by warranty.

The HICAS on the 93-94 J30 isn't exactly cheap to fix either. But it's still less than repairing stability systems on a Q45 or E320.

Like I have said in the XG300 post, we live in a society that has been slowly, subconciously taught that immediate disposal is the absolute way. Heaven forbid we keep something, even a car, more than few years before we are buying a new one because the old one just isn't "new enough" to hold our fancy. And God help us if that thing breaks . . . instead of repairing it, we often find ourselves tossing it out happily just to feed our "need" to consume and aquire more and "better" material things.

Sorry to get all philisohphical. Whew! The point is the J30 is a solidly built automobile and it happens to still capture hearts and attention today like it did in 1993. The only way my J is parting from me is if it blows up, hover cars become commonplace, or gasoline powered vehicles are outlawed. And in the event of the latter two occurences, I'll still just sit in my J with a custom CD and pretend it was 2001. LMAO! LOLOLOL
  • Options
    J30 enthusiast, et al.

Simple question. What are the differences between the J30t and J30? I've read many different things and know this group can help. Thanks.
  • Options
    Big, a real quick comparison is this:

The J30t gets a slightly stiffer suspension for sportier handling, BBS wheels, a spoiler and that's about it. Most of us regular posters here have a J30t.

The 1993-1994 J30s got a stability option called HICAS, which was derived from Nissan race cars and developed for several Nissan luxury and non-luxury offerings. I have a post in this section just a few posts that thoroughly explains how HICAS works and also how to do a self-diagnosis on it.

Y'all, did I miss anything in the differences?
  • Options
    J30t does not come with BBS wheels, that is the I30. The J30t are Nissan made wheels. It says Nissan in the rim.
  • Options
    You know what I mean, Cart! BBS-style wheels. Tomato, tamato . . . the point is they've got the look. LOLOLOLOL
  • Options
    lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    the superHICAS on the J30t is not a stability option. It's 4-wheel steering.

The rear wheel moves a little bit over 22mph. The benefit of this is razor sharp lane changes when you're driving.

Try this...take a corner at under 22 mph, then take one over 25mph...you'll notice the sharpness in which the J30t handles.
  • Options
    I have to give you a hard time sometimes, lol
  • Options
    Thanks, Cart! LOL

LSC, does not 4-wheel steering, 4WD, or AWD provide stability even though none of them are intrinsically stability options? I would think so.
  • Options
    Has anyone see or done any custom exhaust work on a J30? I am wondering about the HP gains.
  • Options
    n4pyn4py Member Posts: 10
    I bought my 1996 J30 last August. I replaced all four tires at 50000 miles with Michelon Pilot touring tires. They ride well and are quiet.
    Last night I noticed that both rear tires are almost completely bald just after 12000 miles!
    The front tires look almost new. The rear tires are worn evenly but just about gone! Does anyone have any idea why the rear tires would wear out so fast? The car handles beautifully and does not pull in either direction at all.
  • Options
    lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    how do you start off from a stop? seems like you have a case of lead footalitis. :-p
  • Options
    acarpelacarpel Member Posts: 6
    Carter: been thinking about a new exhausst system also. Went to a car show and bought a stainless flow through muffler with two cool pipes coming out the back. One problem. Infinitis have a unique true dual exahust which is joined at the rear muffler/resonator/cat convertor.(Say, which is it anyway?)So a universal muffler part won't fit. Always wondered why they went to he expense of designing a free breathing dualexhaust system, only to join it at the rear so no one can tell. Multo disappointo. The Q is the same way, while Lexus, Caddy, Mustang, etc. go to great pains to show off duals with fake "Y" pipe plumbing. Anyway, Carter, I too would like to know some cheap waysto soup up the HP without opening the engine. I'm contemplating putting on the free flow exhaust. Wonder how it will sound? Anybody ever do it. I added a K&N air filter. Seems to help, was cheap and won't hurt things. Any ideas?
  • Options
    I guess are cars are running and performing so well, we forget about solidarity and don't post anything. LOL

I'd like to weigh-in on the pipes issue. You can go to a professional service and have them split (and tastefully chromed) for a small amount. I even heard that since the engines on it and the 300ZX are so closely related, mod chips and some other horsepower goodies from the 300ZX may work in the engine of the J. I mean, that does make sense. I'm gonna really look into.
  • Options
    Guys, if you find any info or a web site, please pass it on. I do wonder why they joined the pipes to one at the end? The Honda Accord EX even as 2 pipes.
  • Options
    Infiniti didn't want to be showy. Remember, when this car came out, not many luxury cars had the dual exhaust thing going on. Now, the Lexus GS300 and the Acura TL have it (the Acura has them chromed even! I heard that took some wrangling from the design team.) and now it is all the rage. Before, it would seem like something for the Camaro and Mustang set but now even old dudes with a Lincoln Continental want to appear as if they could smoke their rear tires if the wanted. LOL

I'll look into finding some websites for ya, Cart.
  • Options
    Guys! I saw a J30 in the lot at work today, I go over to have a look and the leather was a off white! My car has a tan look. I did not know that the J30 came with a bone white leather. Does anyone have this in their car?
  • Options
    Really? That's strange! I didn't know it ever ahd that option. I wonder if it was custom. Can you ask the owner, Cart?
  • Options
    I asked the owner, he said that it was not a option, it was just offered in the j30 not the T. and only came in the dark green J30 and the silver. He also said that Infiniti only shipped about 1500 here, they use that color in Japan. ????????
  • Options
    Look on e.-bay at item # 594087054, its a j30 with the bone white leather!!
  • Options
    rbcookrbcook Member Posts: 7
    This week I had to have a few minor things fixed on my J30, so I was given a new I30 as a loaner car. This is actually the second time I have had an I30 as a loaner. To sum up the experience, I was so very happy to get my J car back at the end of the day. But, the I30 isn't entirely without merit, and here are a few of my observations:
    I liked the rear sunshade - very cool, literally.
    I liked the one-touch open and close sunroof. But, the switch was a complete rip-off of the switch from a 93 Altima - plus, only one cheapy map light.
    At first I liked the one-touch up and down front windows, until I realized that it was impossible to lower or raise a window halfway.
    The radio has a horrible button layout, looks cheap, and sounds like crap. It relies only on the window-printed antenna, instead of the diversity antenna in a J.
    The AC is very loud, it's very hard to find the right button for the AC; even turning it on and off is tricky.
    I liked the fold-down rear seat, and I liked the extra room in the car.
    I liked the way the driver's seat moved back when you turned off the ignition, but I could never get the memory seat to function. Plus, no power lumbar. Just the same crummy knob from an Altima.
    Overall, I thought the car looked somewhat "cheap" compared to a J - not nearly as luxurious. But, when I say cheap, I still mean a far cry from any of the boring stuff put out by Lexus or Acura.
    Something I did like though - the power. The car was noticeably faster than a J. But you know what, I have come to notice something about my J. I often drive it slow, because I love being in it so much. It's like sitting in the best seat in the house. I drove the I30 fast, because I really didn't enjoy being in it that much.
    While I was waiting for them to bring my car around, a salesman was pitching the new Q45 to me. Pretty on the outside, but a big old disaster on the inside. Am I the only one who thinks that a TV screen on a dash looks darn-right silly, as it sends no air of elegance? It's the same reason why I don't want my TV set as the centerpiece of my living room. There's a reason why I like my J cars simplicity. It is very elegant, inviting, and everything is right where it needs to be. The Q's dash would look more appropriate in any of Boeing's products.
    Until Infiniti can show me a car(front or rear drive) that can stand up to a J car's luxury and simplicity, then the J stays.

Brad Cook
  • Options
    willmoorewillmoore Member Posts: 5
    What year was it? How did you like the FWD?
  • Options
    Common Electrical problems...
    1.) Headlamp Relay - one or both headlights will come in and out due to a bad head lamp relay. I paid $25 for the part and fixed myself. Easy!

2.) Door lock timer - doors will lock by themselves usually when the door is closed. This is caused by the short delay in the door lock timer. A new one can be purchased for $60 and replaced in about 15 minutes.

3.) Bose CD Player - Displays "CD-err" when a CD is inserted. Problem is most predominant in the hot weather. The CD laser needs to be replaced and can be sent in to be repaired for approx. $125.

4.) Window Binds (slow) on it's way up - Need to replace the window regulator. This is a common problem on Nissan vehicles (Nissan makes Infiniti if anyone didn't know). The regulator has plastic teeth and over time they break or wear down. Replace these ASAP or the window motors will burn out. Regulators cost about $70, but if you burn out the motor you will pay $300 for regulator and motor!

5.) Sunroof not working or weak - needs new motor.

Mechanical...
    1.) In some parts of the country the J30 has injector problems due to the formula of the gasoline. Smell for gasoline under hood.

2.) Many people also have problems starting in the cold. This is sometimes because of unburned fuel in the combustion chamber. What happens is in the cold, the ECU (engine control unit) tells the injectors to feed more fuel to engine to increase idle. If the car is started and ran for a short period of time (5 min or so) there is still unburned fuel in the combustion chamber. Then the next time you got to start the ECU again tells the injectors to give extra fuel and the engine floods.

3.) Transmission - Two main things kill the transmission in the J30, overheating and the transmission cooler.
    a.) On snow and ice, it is easy to spin the rear wheels excessively if there are no snow tires and/or sandbags in the trunk. This excessive spinning of the wheels overheats the transmission and warps the clutches. Over time this will this is very harsh on the transmission.
    b.) The factory fin type cooler which is integrated into the radiator catches debris form the transmission. This debris clogs the factory cooler and restricts the flow of the transmission fluid and will damage planetary gear set. If transmission fluid is changed regularly (pan drop, fluid flush and screen replaced) this is less likely to happen.
    It is highly recommended to install aftermarket transmission cooler for this reason.
    To test transmission for slip:
    1.)Apply emergency brake and hold brake pedal to the floor.
    2.) Place gear selector in Drive
    3.) Slowly press accelerator to the floor
    The rpm's holding around 2000-2300 is a good thing. If the rpm's shoot up then the transmission is slipping. There is also a self-diagnostic mode that can be run. The procedure is outlined in the factory service manual that SHOULD be located in a pocket in the trunk on the drives side. Consult the AT section (pg. AT-37 in 1994 model) and follow steps. There are also some other tests outlined in this manual.

These are some of the things to look for on this particular vehicle. Do not be intimidated by the things listed above because the J30 is a very reliable vehicle, especially if it has been well maintained. Also, the items listed above are not problems on EVERY J30 and previous owner(s) may have already fixed some of the problems. As always, previous owner maintenance history is important. Try to acquire as much knowledge as you can as to any maintenance or repairs that have been done. The dealer at which the vehicle was serviced will have the history. Good luck on buying your J30 and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

William Moore
  • Options
    I need to replace my door lock timer, where is it?
  • Options
    rbcookrbcook Member Posts: 7
    The loaner I30s I have driven were 2000 models. I liked the FWD alot. Combine that with the extra HP, and the car felt more like a "sports sedan"(I know, a highly overused cliche, almost as bad as "SUV", but I really can't think of another phrase here.) But, the J30 was never designed nor touted as a sports sedan. It is for that reason that my J30 never feels like one, to me. I know alot of J30t owners might immediately want to bite my head off, but I drove several of these cars, including T models, before I got mine. I admit, the T did have stiffer suspension, but it reduced the ride quality somewhat.
    If I wanted a sporty sedan, I would have bought a different car. But I doubt I could have found one which had as much emphasis on luxury inside.
    Ironically, my rear passenger window just decided to go eat itself yesterday. It makes a horrid ratcheting sound when it reaches the top of its track. Our 91 Maxima also had the "window regulator" nightmare. I think we replaced 3 of them. Oh well, thank goodness Infiniti has a long basic warranty, because I'm getting the best of it.

Brad
  • Options
    The door lock time is accessible from under the dash on the drivers side. The best that I can describe it is that it is in the area above the parking break pedal. If you lock and unlock your doors while you are searching around under there you can hear the relay inside of the timer clicking. This may help you locate it better. Also, once you think you may have located it, unplug the harness and try to lock the doors. If the lock doesn't work you have successfully located it. It sometimes helps to have the replacement to the part you are looking for in your hand so that you have a better idea of what you're searching for. Good Luck!
  • Options
    stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    I am having 3 electrical problems with my 93 J30. First, when the head lights are turned on, the left head light turns off/on on its own periodically. Second, when the auxillary light switch is turned on, sometimes the instrument panel and the center console displays will not light up. There seems to be a short at the dimmer switch located just below the instrument panel on the left of the steering column because after repeated fumbling/pounding that switch, the lights will come on. Last, when the turn signals are activated than turned off, sometimes there is a constant clicking noise that will stay on. The clicking noise is eliminated by reactivating the turn signal and than turn it off. On a few occasions, when I turned on/off the head lights or activate the turn signals, a few wisps of white smoke will rise from the steering column. Wonder if all the problems are related. I appreciate any inputs or comments.
  • Options
    See post #292 for headlight problem. The headlamp relay is located under the hood on drivers side fender between the strut housing and the firewall. Look just beneath the hood strut . It is a black plastic box with two harnesses plugged into the bottom of it. You can replace yourself ($25-$30 for part). The problem with the dash lights is you dimmer switch. The part is about $90 but sometimes can be repaired by removing it and spray it with electrical contact spray while rolling the knob back and forward. Sound like you may need a new turn signal switch. Start by replacing/repairing your relay and dimmer and see if the smoke problem persists.
  • Options
    I saw the car, Cart. I have been so busy. I notice some problems here in Will Moore's post that Inever knew about or noticed. I better keep an eye out for those!
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Actually the J-30 was designed as a sports sedan as are most rear wheel drive performance sedans such as BMW's and Mercedes, and most performance sports cars such as Corvette. Front wheel drive is not as good for handling as rear wheel drive, unless you're driving in snow or mud. Most manufacturers have gone to front wheel drive because it's lower cost.
  • Options
    The J30 is the only car that I have owned for 3 years and not had the itch to get a new car. Its like finding the perfect women.
  • Options
    stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    I managed to remove the head light relay switch, dimmer, and the turn signal switch all in one evening. Now I have two questions. First question...do I have to replace the whole turn signal switch including the STALK? Second question...how do I know the turn signal switch is the part that is malfunctioning? I ask this question because when I activate the turn signal, I hear turn signal clicking noise from within the instrument panel, but not from the switch. I was wondering if something else that has to do with the turn signals is malfunctioning and not the switch. Thank you in advance for your reply.