Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Headlilght design - Same for 96 & 95 Legacy Wagon?

actorgenieactorgenie Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Subaru
Hi all - just purchased a '96 Subaru Legacy Wagon, the basic model - 196+K miles - hey, I know, and, for $1100, that's ok... it runs smoothly, and seems to have a brake issue on the front, esp when braking from higher speeds... rotors? it stops fine, just seems to vibrate a bit... odd..

the left headlight cover [plastic] is broken and the price of a new one is ridiculous, so, here's my question - my local Pull-a-Part has a '95 Legacy - will the headlight assembly fit my '96 Legacy wagon?

thanks!

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    It should. The 95-99 assemblies should interchange.

The vibrating is likely to be slightly warped rotor(s).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • actorgenieactorgenie Member Posts: 2
    -Thanks! So, another question - when I turn to the right, there is a clicking noise in the right front... my brother says it is probably a CV joint... is he right?

thanks again!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Probably. If it is a CV joint, they tend to start quietly (like a clicking noise) and make the sound only when turning sharply in the direction that corresponds with the side of the car on which that axle is located (in this case, the right side). As the joint continues to deteriorate, it will become a grinding noise when you turn sharply in that direction. Eventually, you will be able to hear the noise all the time, becoming severe when turning. It usually takes several thousand miles to get to that point, though. On mine (a '96 Outback), I replaced one axle at 12x,000 and the other at 144,000. I owned it to 220,000, and both replacement axles were still fine.

The deterioration of the joint is usually caused by a CV joint boot cracking and releasing the grease held within. You should be able to look under the car, near the wheel on the offending side, and see clearly whether or not the boot is cracked. If it is, there is your culprit, without a doubt. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.