Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    But it should smooth out when warm. You will also notice that it won't shift into overdrive before it's warmed up. This is by design, not a defect.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    it sounds like you got a good deal on your "S" - what is "The Factory"? - you mean the Toyota factory? You suggested that I sign up for a tour - please explain - this sounds interesting!
  • john1726john1726 Member Posts: 37
    New York region is offering a $500.00 rebate on all 2001 corollas, $1000.00 rebate on camry ce and collectors edition camry, and $700.00 on all other camrys. Or you can get 2.9% financing for 24 months or 5.9% for up to 60 months. they are also offering special lease rates on the camrys. These are all from April 3rd through April 30th.
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    I should have been more specific. I have recently taken the public tour at the joint Toyota/GM manufacturing plant in Fremont California. (More properly called NUMMI) I found it quite interesting and you really do see a lot of the facility and actually get to see the line in operation. Space is limited to about 48 people and the tour was about 1 1/2 hours long.

I do not know where you are located, but you should be able to find out specifics through the NUMMI web site: http://www.nummi.com/tours.htm

My only connection with Toyota is our just purchased 2001 Corolla. Good Luck, Let us know what you find out.

thanks for the info - I believe my '01 Corolla LE was made in Ontario - but I will check out that website anyway - I have had my car for a little over 2 weeks now and I could not be any more pleased with it - hope you are enjoying your "S" just as much -
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Found a good website to visit for all you modern Corolla owners.
    www.corolland.com
    Found this statement pertaining to the Corolla wandering. It is from a review done by the people from Corolland website. I thought some of you concerned with you car wandering on the highway might find it helpful.
    It reads:
    "On the road, the Corolla is nimble, and tempts you to do things you really shouldn't. Though it tends to wander on the freeway, replacing its standard tires (Goodyear Integrity!) with good ones, such as 195/60 Bridgestone Potenze RE930s, substantially improves handling (especially on wet roads)".
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I received my Corolla this Monday and I have enjoyed every kilometre so far. I wanted to post this message earlier this week, but I didn't have time since I was making up excuses to drive everywhere, thereby not leaving me any time to post messages here.

I got a 2001 Corolla LE in Indigo Blue, with beige interior, and added a spoiler. The ride is extremely smooth and quiet, plus the engine really has a nice kick. I find it hard sometimes to drive it around 90-100 kms. (55-60 mph?) to have the engine wear in, because I'd like to go a bit faster than that. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about...

As far as tours of the plant, I've called the Cambridge plant and they've told me they weren't sure if they'd organize tours during the summer. They usually only offer tours for groups or educational institutions.
  • cpzhangcpzhang Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I am looking at a 97 Geo Prizm. I know this is Corolla forum, but isn't it the Corolla clone? This car has 62k, auto, AC, Cass, looks very good and drives very well. I ran a VIN check, no problem was reported except for that it was a rental car from 1997/02 to 1999/09. I am a little worried about it. The dealer offered me $5700. Suppose this is a very reliable car. But a rental worries me somewhat.
    aren't treated kindly by the customers, but the maintenance is kept up, and the miles are mostly freeway. Have it checked out by your mechanic, and if it looks good, buy it. Prizms and Corollas run forever.
    New Car Mileage

Just checked the mileage on our 3 week old 2001 Automatic Corolla 'S' and we averaged exactly 33 mpg with mixed city and highway driving.

Does this sound typical?
    Ultrarunner: Yes, that sounds about right, but it will go up after a while. I got my Corolla (auto. 4 speed) LE last week and I'm averaging 30 mpg. so far. I can't believe how economical and comfy these cars are!

On another note, is anyone here 6'3"-6'4" and owns a Corolla, like myself? Some of my friends look at me, then at the car, and then ask me: "And where do you fit?" I say, "I fit in very well thanks". I just want to know similar experiences or any thoughts you might have about this. Thanks!
    Headroom

At 6'4" I find the headroom lacking. Our 2001 Corolla has the factory sunroof option. I knew this when we ordered. My better half at 5'6" says that she has plenty of room :)
    Hi - I checked my mileage today and I am getting 31 MPG (city) - I have not really driven it much on the highway but I plan to do that soon - this is mostly stop and go driving in and around town - I am very pleased with my car - waxed it yesterday with a paste wax (my first time ever to wax a car by hand!) and it looks fantastic -
    I'm 6'1" And I do not have a problem with headroom at all in my "01" LE. The thing I am noticing is that my right leg (below the knee) has a tendancy to rest against the center console when driving with my foot on the accelerator for an extended period of time. This does become alittle uncomfortable after awhile.
    Thats totally amazing that you are getting better gas mileage then what the average driver is expected to get combining both city driving and HIGHWAY driving. A combination of highway and city driving should expect to get 29 MPG. and yet your doing mostly city driving and getting 31 MPG.!!!!!!
    my thoughts exactly - but I am not topping off my tank - just letting it stop automatically - and if I am calculating it correctly (divide the miles on my trip meter by the # of gallons I put in) then that's what it figures out to be - since I am still breaking in my car I admit I am taking it easy when applying gas/brake pedal - plus I have not really needed to run the A/C much - probably when I start driving like my old self this number will go down a little
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    You can get a fully loaded prizm with aluminium wheels for 14,200!! Same car as Corolla.....
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    But Toyota is going to stop selling the Corolla to GM to be rebadged as Prizms. 2002 model will be the last of the Prizms. Imagine what the Prizm resale value will do once it's discontinued.

Prizm is a good car. But my feeling is: (a) If you are going to buy a new car, buy the Corolla, it holds its value so much better than the Prizm. (b) if you are buying a used car, buy the Prizm, you can get one with the same condition for so much cheaper than a Corolla.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • cpzhangcpzhang Member Posts: 16
    I just called a mechanic asking for the price for a timing belt change on my 97 prizm with 62k. But he told me that it is a timing chain, I do not need to change it till the running condition is really bad. Any owner out there could give me advice?
    Can't be sure, but I seem to remember that back then, it was still belt.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    97 was belt

98 up is chain
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    Can anyone give an explanation as to why the rear window defogger is on a 15 minute timer ? How many people have 15 minute commutes? If they have to be on a timer why not make it an hour or give us the option of selecting time increments?
    I think they are thinking that after 15 minutes, the rear window would be fully defoged. Leaving it on would continue to drain the battery, like having the A/C on, which will reduce the gas milage. But I agree, it would be nice for them in include an adjustable timer.
    You can just push the little button again.

Do you mean to say that the defroster needs to stay on after 15 minutes? Dude, you must live in a really cold place!
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    hi i drive a 96' corolla dx with auto and it just hit 125,451 miles on it. i am extremely happy with it now, i commute 169 miles per day for the past 2 years and it has never let me down and its averaging me 27.3 miles per gallon right now . The only thing is that the transmission is original and now its slipping, but i floor it every time i accelerate which is hard on it.the motor has never broke down yet only normal maintenace and i bought it used with 33333 miles on it for 6585 and i plan to sell it soon.!corolla is very tough
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I to bought mine used with 18k on the odometer and in the 36 months of ownership, truly love the car. I just hit 49k and recently changed the tranny fluid and flushed the radiator. Brakes were done at 44k but still feel spongy eventhough mechanic said they were ok. Hopefully, car will last another 6 to 7 years. The new ones are really nice though. Get the itch every so often!
    I know I'm supposed to do what the owner's manual says, and the dealer recommended that I should take care as to not drive harshly for the first 1600 kms.. I also recall that Denniswade also explained the reason on this forum for this break-in period. Yet, one of the people I know well also owns a Corolla, and his dealership said there really wasn't a break-in period for new Corollas, since engines are already broken in at the factory before even hitting the road. The break-in period suggested in the owner's manual would only be as a precaution if something wrong would happen. Other people that I've talked to about this have said that the break-in period isn't necessary, and that you should drive moderately without being a "Sunday driver". I'd just like to know your comments about this.

By the way, I'm already up to 800 kms. with my Corolla. This is such a great car!
    But I still like to baby the engine for the first 1000 miles, just to be sure. However, I drive at normal freeway speeds even during the break-in period (if I didn't, I'd get run over out here!). I just don't hammer the throttle from rest, I don't use the cruise control, and I keep my speed below 70. After the first 1000 miles I run it pretty hard.
    Wenyue,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Couldn't figure out how to get my dinosaur of a home computer to accept cookies so I could log on here. I have to do it from work.

I didn't know that defoggers used that much power to make a difference in gas mileage.

Denniswade,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. It's not that cold out here in the Pacific Northwest, just rains a lot, hence the need to exceed 15 minutes of defogging time.
  • phasor3phasor3 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at 1996 Corolla with 60K Miles, St pkg with automatic transmission. Have you had any bad experiences with this type of car. Your reviews and recommendations are much appreciated.
    Using the rear window defogger does not make any difference in your gas mileage. The rear defogger runs off of your cars electrical system which does not make any difference in engine speed. Using your A.C. to defog your front windows would make a difference in your gas mileage because the cars engine speed increases when you put the A.C. on to compensate for the compressor running.
    Mine is a '96 with AT but a DX version. Bought it used with 18k and after 3 years, still love the ride
    my pleasure.
    Getting lower gas mileage from using the rear window defogger was suggested by wenyue. I just restated what he said.
    denniswade,

I assume that your Turb-rolla has high performance exhaust, maybe I'm wrong.

Could you or anyone shed light as to which high performance muffler someone should choose for their Corolla? One that has a nice note, not one that makes your engine sound crappy.
    The exhaust is a custom fabricated 2-1/4" diameter with larger cat and TRD muffler. The kit will come with the exhaust system included.

I had the TRD muffler before I got the turbo, and it is wonderful -- adds about 4 hp net, according to SCC, and it has a rich, deep bass sound that will quicken your pulse when you're stomping on the throttle and which you can't even hear when you're cruising at a steady speed. I think it's perfect.
    Just remember that although the rear window defroster doesn't make a considerable difference in fuel economy, it does require your alternator to work much harder. I think that Toyota (and other car companies) have this built-in timer for the defroster, because most people would forget about it after a while.
  • compuman2000compuman2000 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Everyone,
    Do any of you know a good (and inexpensive) site where I can buy parts for my Corolla such as cargo net, etc...

I would really appreciate your help/advice.
    Thanks in advance.
    denniswade

I shouldn't have asked because now I need to get one and I shouldn't spend my money on this sort of thing right now. Maybe after I finish paying for the car, 15 more and this baby is mine.
    canc,

Thanks for the explanation.
    Try Toyotaguys.com. Their prices seem really good.
    Could you please explain how an alternator works harder when you are drawing more current from it. I always thought the drag on the motor from the alternator was the same all the time regardless of the current draw. So with this in mind how would it make any difference whatsoever in the gas mileage?
    you are correct. I'm sorry I haven't anything to give you in recognition of your acuity, but sometimes intelligence is its own reward!

glenglen" know whatcha mean, but you will not believe how much pleasure that simple little device will bring you. Bear down, put off that vacation in Barbados and buy one. You will not be sorry!
    I'm not actually a mechanic, but I try to gather as much information as I can from different reliable sources.

Post #638, about the usage of the rear window defroster, is in reference to Motorweek's mechanic's (Pat Goss?) weekly advice spot on the show. About a month and a half ago, he answered a similar question regarding the usage of the alternator, and stated that people should use the alternator sparingly since it does require more power from the alternator.

If the engine would draw the same amount of current from the alternator at all times, wouldn't that be inefficient and expensive? The alternator should be built to supply a variable amount of current.
    that the alternator is connected to the crank by means of a belt, and it is turning all the time - unlike the A/C, which disengages when the system is turned off. So no matter how much or how little the alternator happens to be generating atthe time, it has no effect on engine drag or mileage.
  • busjockeybusjockey Member Posts: 1
    Every comment on alternators is right. Almost. I used to be a motor rewinder so here's my two cents worth. An alternator works by creating/moving through a magnetic field. The greater the load (ie: defroster), the stronger the field, leading to more "drag" or effort to turn the commutator, hence increased drag on the engine. That said, the contribution of a defroster to the load, while measurable, certainly does'nt come close to what the A/C or even some of the painfully loud stereos I've heard bring on.
    Thanks for your clarification on the alternator load and gas mileage issue!
    Can anyone tell me what kind of changes we might see for the new 2002 Corolla. And also any changes in pricing or packages and when they might be on the dealers lots?